Start by marking “Haunted Castle on Hallows Eve (Magic Tree House #30)” as Want to Read:
Haunted Castle on Hallows Eve (Magic Tree House #30)

Haunted Castle on Hallows Eve (Magic Tree House #30)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,191 Ratings  ·  164 Reviews
The bestselling, fan-favorite chapter-book series celebrates Halloween with this scarily affordable paperback!

Jack and Annie have traveled all over the world in their magic tree house. But they've never been anywhere like this. In the distance, a haunted castle looms dark against the light of the moon. No candles burn in its windows. No laughter rings through its halls.

Wha
Published July 27th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 26th 2003)

Dolly
Jul 16, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
This book is the second in the "Merlin Mission" series. It follows the first, with a magical trip to Camelot. Both this book and the one preceeding it diverge from her previous stories, by delving into the folklore and mythology that comes from Britain and other places, rather than actual historical events. Her stories are adventurous and exciting and we look forward to the next, but overall, I prefer her earlier stories.
kristen
Nov 24, 2010 kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this with a group of my 2nd graders and they LOVED it! They have been reading others in the series because of this book. There are fantastic ideas for extension activities on Osborne's website. If your child likes this book, check out the site!
Jessica
Oct 09, 2009 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
These books are great to read to your kids. My niece loves them so I decided to read one and see what it was all about. These are a perfect book to read to little children.
Jodi
Feb 04, 2011 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young readers
Another Magic Tree House book! My son is addicted to these. This one was set with a Halloween theme and was just enough of a funny fright for it to be fun!
Stephanie
I love this book.It is the best book. I love the merlin missons.
Dillan Campbell
Jun 15, 2011 Dillan Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was soooo cool. I can't even tell you how much I liked it.
Malia
Apr 14, 2011 Malia rated it it was amazing
Annie and Jack have to get the crystal back to the castle.
Jaheem Alex
May 15, 2013 Jaheem Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books they are so good
Brittany
Jan 19, 2016 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack and his little sister Annie are two regular kids from Frog Creek, Pennsylvania... until they discover a mysterious tree house full of all sorts of books. From that point on their lives will never be the same again! They soon go on amazing adventures (plus children are learning bits of history and most don't realize it) as they travel through time with the help of the magic tree house. The chapters are short with pictures every few pages, making these books perfect for the beginning reader.
Simon
Oct 13, 2011 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
N_Colleen
Oct 17, 2010 N_Colleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
The Magic Tree House Series is great for children ages 9-12 years. In each book Mary Pope Osborne packed magic, history, and adventure as readers journey with protagonists Jack and Annie on exciting missions all over the world.

In book # 30, The Haunted Castle on Old Hallows Eve, Jack and Annie once again travel back in time to help save Camelot from danger. As “Master Librarians and Magicians of Everyday Magic,” Jack and Annie’s along with their friend Teddy must solve the mystery of the haunte
Brandon Loehrke
Oct 31, 2013 Brandon Loehrke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Haunted Castle on Hollows Eve” was an interesting book to read. Jack and Anne go into a castle with their friend Teddy. When they get to the castle they discover that there is no one else there. They go into a room with a spinning wheel, as well as a game of chess. No one is there playing the game of chess or spinning the wheel. The group thinks it is a ghost till the children tell them how the Diamond of Destiny was stolen by the Raven King. Jack, Annie, and Teddy help the Raven King get what ...more
Bryce Akey
Oct 31, 2013 Bryce Akey rated it really liked it
I found this book very interesting. It is about a two little kids, named Jack and Annie. Jack and Annie are brother and sister. Jack and Annie travel back in time. When they arrive at the castle, they discover that there is not anyone else inside. They go into a room with a spinning wheel, and a game of chess which is being played, but they cannot see who it is. Jack and Annie believe it was a ghost,but really it was just the children. The children tell Jack and Annie that the Diamond of Destiny ...more
Debbie
Sep 20, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack and Annie take a magical adventure to see Merlin and to help bring order to the castle of the duke and save the future of Camelot. This mission takes them through a forest and to a tunnel of fear. The magic of the sorcerers and woodsprites help after the ravens appear. Soon the castle has been put back to order, Jack, Annie and Teddy are on the way back. Soon the tree house will take them back to Frog Creek for Halloween night.

My daughter has read a few of these and is always telling me how
Corbin Billington
Mar 22, 2013 Corbin Billington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Pope Osborne is an excellent mystery writer and tells the story of the kids in her book defeating yet another creation. For me this book was an enjoyment to read and it made me think of when I was a kid thinking of crazy, imaginary things to do. Although this book is not for older readers like me, it was truly exciting to read and unravel the mystery of the Haunted Castle. I rated the book four out of five stars because of the detailed mystery sequence Mary Pope Osborne reveals. I also like ...more
Melissa Gregory
Jack and Annie, with a young magician named Teddy, find the castle and discover that it is inhabited by four ghosts-a girl, twin boys, and a dog. The ghosts communicate to the three that the problem is the stolen diamond, that it must be retrieved, and that the Raven King has it. The children find and retrieve the diamond, revive the ghosts and their sleeping household, and give the Raven King what his heart most desires. I like this book becuse i enjoy books of mystery and suspence. throughout ...more
midnightfaerie
Oct 17, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My 5 yr old is becoming a voracious reader and his teacher recommended this series so I picked up a few from the library. My son loves it. Magic and fun and adventure rolled into a chapter book that's easy to read, yet challenging enough that he's not bored. We just started the Pizza Hut book it challenge where he has to read 240 mins a month and then he gets a free personal pan pizza. He's loving it, and already has said these are the books he wants to read for the challenge. Overall a great st ...more
Tyler Steinback
The book “Haunted Castle on Hallow’s Eve” was a good book. It was good because a couple young kids go and set out on a mission by Merlin to the castle of Camelot. This is a great story about bravery and knowledge. Jack, Annie, and Teddy would have to show both bravery and knowledge to try and defeat the Raven King. I liked this story because Jack, Annie, and Teddy would have to defy all odds to finish their mission. I would recommend this story to elementary kids learning to read because it is a ...more
Ashley Carroll
Feb 20, 2015 Ashley Carroll is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
it is a good book
Bryce Behn
The book “Haunted Castle on Hallow’s Eve” was an alright book. It was alright because a couple kids go and set out to the castle of Camelot. This story was about bravery, heart, and the will not to give up. Jack and Annie both showed heart and bravery when they defeat the King Raven. I liked this book because Jack and Annie, Teddy did not stop at anything until the mission was complete. I would recommend this book to younger kids or anyone looking for a good adventure.
Justin
I thought the book "Haunted Castle On Hallow's Eve" was a decent read. Jack and Annie are summoned back in time to Camelot. Merlin told Jack and Annie that the stone of destiny has been stolen and the only answer to these problems in deep inside a haunted castle. Jack and Annie will take on an adventure inside to find out the secrets of the missing stone of destiny. I would recommend this book to children ages 8-12 for a good read.
Theresa
Apr 28, 2016 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack and Annie venture to go save a Duke's kingdom. As they go through the village an old woman chants a verse at them.

As I read this to my nephew he figured out what was going on before me. It's moments like that that make me want to read every book ever written to him.

Watching Jack, Annie and Teddy work out the problem is great fun. Teddy is such a character. We cracked up every time he would say "Quick what rhymes with..." Even better was how quick Annie and Jack found the perfect rhymes.

The
donewithdora
I would read a chapter of this with my offspring at bedtime & then she would stay up and keep reading more of it on her own, which is huge right now because she's an emerging independent reader.
RumBelle
Read this in preparation for a Halloween Program we are doing at the Library. These books are really great ways to introduce young children to historical and scientific concepts, and still keep it fun and engaging. Here Jack and Annie travel back to Medieval times. They are summoned by Merlin to help restore order and solve a mystery at a haunted castle. This book taught children about various types of myths, legends and stories. I like that the author provides notes about what inspired the book ...more
Kristen
Apr 20, 2016 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can read this review and others on my blog at http://awriterswife-bcray.blogspot.co...

I picked this book up at a big book sale in town because I’ve had several people talk about what fun kids books they are. I like to read a few chapters of an easy book right before bed to help me unwind…I use the time to scope out fun books to read to my daughter at bedtime as she gets older.

I didn’t realize I had the Christmas book also until after I finished reading this book. Technically the first book i
Braden
Feb 06, 2015 Braden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is called Haunted Castle on Hallows Eve.The author of this book is Mary Pope Osborne.It is a realistic fiction. It had 109 pages. The main characters of This book are Jack and Annie. It was in a castle. The theme is to find the boys who play chess before bed and the girl who spins wool into thread. The plot is when they get the diamond of destiny. the hints about conclusion were they had the hazel twig. I thought it was the best book of them all. It had a lot of questions threw out the ...more
Taylonbork
May 21, 2013 Taylonbork rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book from the 'Magic Tree House' series. Jack and Annie receive a letter to go back to Camelot to meet with Merlin. When they get there, they are put on a special mission to get back the Diamond of Destiny to turn the invisible people in the castle back to normal. Teddy is a magician who is sent along to help them get the diamond back. Jack and Annie find out that the Raven King is holding the diamond in his layer up on a mountain. To blend in, Jack, Annie, and Teddy turn ...more
Kariata Toure
Jun 30, 2012 Kariata Toure rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I like this book Haunted Castle on Hallow Eve because it adventures and mysteriest."To jack and annie to Frog Creeck, on all hallows eve, look for me in the heart of the oak.-M."#4"I wonder why the people here are so afraid of ravens; annie asked.Where is the girl who spin wool into thread?Where are the boys who plays chess before bed?Where is the hound who wauts to be fed?"#23-24
You would like this book if you like adventures aand mysteries.You would like this book if you like adventures becaus
Sarah Carter
Feb 19, 2016 Sarah Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always love Mary Pope Osborne's books, I love her way of writing. I used to read these books all the time from the library. I do wish they were longer but they are to teach kids so I'm not going to complain. After all I hear the same thing when people read my books so yea... I do recommended her books for you and your family. And this book was no disappointment, the spooky castles and the education it tells. WOW!
Marc Lucke
Jun 13, 2016 Marc Lucke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction

The Arthurian motifs of the latest MTH cycle are a fun introduction to the classic myths, but even with Morgan acting as their Jim Phelps, I'm growing increasingly wary of the role women and girls are playing in the series. Jack has always been the principal character, but his interiority is being highlighted more and more, to the point where it's detracting from the narrative a little. I'd prefer to hear more of Annie's thoughts, as well as see more women & girls present in the story.

• Knights and Castles (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #2)
  • The Runaway Racehorse (A to Z Mysteries, #18)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • Stanley's Christmas Adventure (Flat Stanley, #5)
  • Thanksgiving Turkey Trouble (Ready, Freddy!, #15)
  • Insect Invaders (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #11)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)