I Fooled You: Ten Stories of Tricks, Jokes and Switcheroos

I Fooled You: Ten Stories of Tricks, Jokes and Switcheroos

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  10 reviews
How many different ways can ten leading middle-grade authors tell a story including the line "I fooled you"? Prepare to be surprised!

An arrogant prince tries to bluff his way out of paying the bridge troll’s toll, only to find that honesty really is its own reward. Judy Moody dreams up her best-ever prank on Stink, but he finds a hilarious way to make her joke fall splat....more
Published March 9th 2010 by Candlewick (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I Fooled You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Fooled You

Joe
O. K. It's a Children's book, but here's the deal. Ten different authors take the same phrase and create a story around it. For those of you out there wishing to be a budding author, this is a great exercise, and author Johanna Hurwitz, my favorite Children's author, picks ten peers to share their talent. The stories are clever, and entertaining.
Dolly
Jun 25, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Fun collection of short stories, poems and a cartoon, all with the theme of "I fooled you." It was a fun read; we usually only read one or two stories at a time, but our girls asked for it often at storytime. We would love to read the other book of short stories by the same author/editor, Birthday Surprises: Ten Great Stories to Unwrap.
John
*3 1/2 stars

I like how each story incorporates "I FOOLED YOU." I kept predicting and thinking about how/when the author would use the phrase. I preferred the stories in which the author slipped the phrase in the middle of a sentence, not really making it the focus of the story. I will book talk it in the fall.
Erin
A collection of stories by children's authors. Each one had to include the phrase "I fooled you." This was fun to read aloud to my 2nd graders and was a great way to show how different ideas can be even when writing about the same topic.
Katie Fitzgerald
Aug 11, 2012 Katie Fitzgerald marked it as read-excerpt
Read Tall Tale by Douglas Florian, I'm Not James by David A. Adler, Poetic Justice by Eve B. Feldman, and April Thirty-First by Johanna Hurwitz on 8/11/12.
Joenna
Collection of stories about tricks, jokes and switcheroos, by 10 different authors. I enjoyed about 8 of the stories. Quick and easy read.
Heather
An interesting idea, and an interesting collection. Some of the stories are funny, and a few are quite serious.
L
Great collection of 10 stories by 10 authors - each story is about being fooled or tricked.
Melissa
Not all stories are equally good, but it's a fun concept.
Salman Al
Ro
Ro added it
Apr 02, 2014
Mightyguy
Mightyguy marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Baleigh Slaven
Baleigh Slaven marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Jay
Jay added it
Sep 14, 2012
Kaulin
Kaulin marked it as to-read
May 29, 2012
Johanna Hurwitz is the author of more than 60 children's books. These include RUSSELL SPROUTS, BASEBALL FEVER, PEEWEE'S TALE, SQUIRREL WORLD, MIGHTY MONTY and THE HOT & COLD SUMMER. In addition, she has written several biographies for young readers including ones about Anne Frank and Helen Keller. Her books have won many children's choice awards from states where readers vote for their favori...more
More about Johanna Hurwitz...
Class Clown Hot and Cold Summer Pee-Wee's Tale Class President (An Apple Paperback) Baseball Fever