Start by marking “I Fooled You: Ten Stories of Tricks, Jokes and Switcheroos” as Want to Read:
I Fooled You: Ten Stories of Tricks, Jokes and Switcheroos

I Fooled You: Ten Stories of Tricks, Jokes and Switcheroos

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  35 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
How many different ways can ten leading middle-grade authors tell a story including the line "I fooled you"? Prepare to be surprised!

An arrogant prince tries to bluff his way out of paying the bridge troll’s toll, only to find that honesty really is its own reward. Judy Moody dreams up her best-ever prank on Stink, but he finds a hilarious way to make her joke fall splat.
Published March 9th 2010 by Candlewick (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I Fooled You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Fooled You

Joe
Oct 24, 2010 Joe rated it really liked it
O. K. It's a Children's book, but here's the deal. Ten different authors take the same phrase and create a story around it. For those of you out there wishing to be a budding author, this is a great exercise, and author Johanna Hurwitz, my favorite Children's author, picks ten peers to share their talent. The stories are clever, and entertaining.
Dolly
Jun 25, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Fun collection of short stories, poems and a cartoon, all with the theme of "I fooled you." It was a fun read; we usually only read one or two stories at a time, but our girls asked for it often at storytime. We would love to read the other book of short stories by the same author/editor, Birthday Surprises: Ten Great Stories to Unwrap.
John
Jun 06, 2010 John rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, short-stories
*3 1/2 stars

I like how each story incorporates "I FOOLED YOU." I kept predicting and thinking about how/when the author would use the phrase. I preferred the stories in which the author slipped the phrase in the middle of a sentence, not really making it the focus of the story. I will book talk it in the fall.
Erin
May 22, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2011
A collection of stories by children's authors. Each one had to include the phrase "I fooled you." This was fun to read aloud to my 2nd graders and was a great way to show how different ideas can be even when writing about the same topic.
Katie Fitzgerald
Aug 11, 2012 Katie Fitzgerald marked it as read-excerpt
Read Tall Tale by Douglas Florian, I'm Not James by David A. Adler, Poetic Justice by Eve B. Feldman, and April Thirty-First by Johanna Hurwitz on 8/11/12.
Joenna
Dec 22, 2010 Joenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4th-5th, 5th-6th
Collection of stories about tricks, jokes and switcheroos, by 10 different authors. I enjoyed about 8 of the stories. Quick and easy read.
Heather
Mar 11, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
An interesting idea, and an interesting collection. Some of the stories are funny, and a few are quite serious.
LouAnne
Sep 19, 2010 LouAnne rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Great collection of 10 stories by 10 authors - each story is about being fooled or tricked.
Melissa
Nov 12, 2010 Melissa rated it liked it
Not all stories are equally good, but it's a fun concept.
Salman Al
Dec 07, 2012 Salman Al marked it as to-read
Shelves: books
I have it book
Susan Slack
Susan Slack rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Yaileene
Yaileene rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
James
James added it
May 06, 2016
Anna Kuhl
Anna Kuhl rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2016
Bobi
Bobi added it
Feb 07, 2016
Sandy-Sara
Sandy-Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Thomas Ray
Thomas Ray rated it it was ok
Dec 11, 2015
MCAUWM
MCAUWM marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Lila
Lila marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Ariana
Ariana marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2015
Booklover
Booklover rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Flor Aparicio
Flor Aparicio marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Johanna Hurwitz is the author of more than 60 children's books. These include RUSSELL SPROUTS, BASEBALL FEVER, PEEWEE'S TALE, SQUIRREL WORLD, MIGHTY MONTY and THE HOT & COLD SUMMER. In addition, she has written several biographies for young readers including ones about Anne Frank and Helen Keller. Her books have won many children's choice awards from states where readers vote for their favori ...more
More about Johanna Hurwitz...