Start by marking “Nana, Vol. 21 (Nana, #21)” as Want to Read:
Nana, Vol. 21 (Nana, #21)

Nana, Vol. 21 (Nana #21)

4.51  ·  Rating Details ·  1,302 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Reads R to L (Japanese Style). The all-time best-selling shojo title in Japan

Tragedy strikes as the Search Weekly team takes their snooping too far! Hounded to the limit by remorseless reporters, Ren spins his car off the icy road in a horrible accident that will change the course of everyone's future...

Published July 6th 2010 by VIZ Media LLC (first published March 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Nana, Vol. 21, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nana, Vol. 21

Mazohyst
Jan 06, 2011 Mazohyst rated it it was amazing
The ending is uncertain for not only the characters, but for the Nana series itself. I do hope Ai Yazawa recovers from her illness. If this is the last volume, it will definitely be a cliffhanger that will always be stuck in my mind. For now, the only one who knows the end is Yazawa. But I do wish her well. Nana and Nana, so far, it has been an incredible journey. I hope to see you two in the new future. Please manga gods, let it be so!
Ruth
Aug 15, 2010 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Yazawa Ai continues to break my heart with her poignant storylines and realism. The agony and grief of each character is so well depicted that it feels as if my own heart is being ripped from my chest.

The ultimate cruelty is the uncertainty as to whether or not the series will ever be finished due to Yazawa's illness. Will we will ever know if those who belong together will ever embrace once more?
Anzu The Great Destroyer
This review will be for the WHOLE Nana series

Ok, so I FINALLY finished Nana and I’m jumping up and down because of how happy I am.

This was one of the worst stories I’ve read in a while, and trust me this says a lot. I can’t believe Yazawa dragged this useless story- Oh wait, I totally forgot. This series DOES NOT HAVE A FUCKING STORY! It’s all about useless drama thrown all around for the sake of what? Putting some manga artwork to good use? Maybe. But I still fail to see what the story is there
Kayla
Jan 09, 2012 Kayla rated it it was amazing
This story was about two women named Nana. One was a punk rock singer who wanted to make it big in the music business, the other was a pink loving, boy crazy girl who just couldn't find Mr. Right. Their paths cross and intertwine and everything seems fine, but if it stayed like that then it wouldn't be a drama. So, yeah, their lives were put in a shoe box, rattled around, flipped upside down, and dropped in the trash can. There is so much going on in this story that I'd have to write a novel ...more
Jo
Sep 03, 2010 Jo rated it it was amazing
So I can see why Yazawa went on hiatus after this volume.
Emma
Sep 23, 2014 Emma rated it really liked it
"Ren is gone. The future that we looked forward to has become as blank as a piece of white paper. As of today, I have yet to add any pattern or colour to it. Without Nana, there is no beginning." - Hachi

"If you're going to confess your love, you have to take care of things first! Don't make her cry by having unfinished business!" - Nana

(view spoiler)
Andrew Kristensen
Sep 04, 2014 Andrew Kristensen rated it really liked it
Yukino
Jun 27, 2016 Yukino rated it it was amazing
Shelves: miei, 2010, manga
PERCHèèèèèèèèèèèèèèèèèèè!

Perchè è finito così! Perchè Ren è morto..perchè ho pianto come una fontanella per tutto il volumetto?

E' stato davvero straziante...non volevo crederci...e Nana...piangevo anche per lei..per tutti....il funerale poi...e questi flash della vita odierna che mi fanno pensare a cosa potrà succedere, ma non lo sapremo per un bel pezzo. La povera Yazawa non sta bene...e un seguito sembra lontano.

Voolevo centellinarlo ma non ce l'ho fatta! li ho letti di seguito non riuscivo a
Ishtar Mohammed
Mar 03, 2014 Ishtar Mohammed rated it it was amazing
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

as much as I've hated Ren ever since he left Nana and went to Tokyo, I crashed when I read that he's dead, over n over again. this was just too much to take at this point for the characters, as well as the readers. I keep wondering what will happen to Nana because so far, she's the only one who's future remain a mystery.
I'd fly to Japan n ask Yazawa to finish it as soon as possible because if this is never finished and we're left with this cliffhanger, sad ending I'll ha
Jenny Clark
Nov 05, 2015 Jenny Clark rated it it was amazing
This is one if those series that hate it or love it you have to finish it. It drags you in. I don't think I have ever found a manga that sucked me in quite like this. Even Godchild, wich I read about 5 years ago, did not worm its way into my heart this bad. We need at least one more volume... I really want Riera to be with Shin... He kept her balanced and she him... Nana and Nana gotta move back in together... I hope Ai Yazawa gets better soon so we can have at least a littke more closure. I ...more
Maryam
Jul 28, 2016 Maryam rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I just finished my re-read of this series (it's is probably the fourth time that I binge read it) and I am still mad that Yazawa left it unfinished but, at the same time, I don't know if I want to know more. I am not going to do a full review of it, it's not for everyone (the first time I read it I was waaaaaay to young: 10 years old is a bit young to read about sex, drugs, abusive relationships and depression.. So yeah trigger warning for pretty much everything)
Woowott
Feb 14, 2016 Woowott rated it really liked it
Ye gods. I feel like my feelings for some of the characters, like Yasu and Nobu and Takumi, have become more nuanced with each read. Miu and Yuri too. I have a greater appreciation for their complexities and less blind love or indifference toward them. Probably Naoki too. I still unrepentantly love Reira, Ren, Shin and Nana and Nana. And the end is of the last two volumes is, as ever, heartbreaking. Ugh, my love for this manga knows no bounds.
Smitty
Apr 08, 2012 Smitty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
have read all the Nana manga and didn't feel like listing each of the 21 volumes. they are great. def my fav manga series. a realistic josei drama. just wish Ai yazawa would finish the series.
Lara
Aug 29, 2010 Lara rated it it was amazing
Absolutely heartbreaking. I bawled my eyes out in this volume. It's especially sad knowing that due to Yazawa's illness, this may be the last one. Not quite the finale I was hoping for... :(
Kricket
Aug 05, 2010 Kricket rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, josei, 2010
waaaaaaaaaaaghhhh!!!! holy crap, omg, omg.
Veronica
Aug 28, 2010 Veronica rated it really liked it
The best Nana in a long time. But really, really sad. *sob*
scarlettraces
May 26, 2011 scarlettraces rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loaners, manga-manhwa
broke my heart. for real this time.
Katie
Aug 31, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, hiatus
see full review @ Katie's Corner

Today I’m having a work, which has been on a hiatus since 2009. To say the truth in the very beginning of the story I got very bored, but I just wanted to know what really happened so I continued to read it. And oh my, I loved this story. I hate that the author hasn’t been writing, but she has her problems, therefore I can only guess what happened in the end of the story. But let me tell you why I both loved and hated this story.

This story is very realistic; I cou
Dominique
Oct 05, 2016 Dominique rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
it was really hard to not cry... my heart broke. It was said in recent interview in august of this year that the author is for sure going to continue the series.. I really can't wait to see the manga progress. One of the best manga series ever!!
Liza
Note: This review is for the series as a whole with a few comments on this volume.

Series as a whole: 2.5/5 stars.

So let me begin my review with the story of my first time reading the series. This was back when I was a teenager. I had a different library system that only had the first 9 volumes. Due to that, that is all I read. I never knew what happened next and I moved on in life with the memories of how much I enjoyed the first 9 volumes.

Currently the library I am connected to had all of the
Monica
Sep 21, 2016 Monica rated it really liked it
Great series. Unsatisfactory ending. Wish there was more volumes. Feels unfinished.
Ardilla Azul
Feb 11, 2015 Ardilla Azul rated it liked it
Es mi primer josei y por eso le tengo cariño a pesar de ser una obra inconclusa. Me encanta la forma en que dibuja Ai Yazawa porque le pone un cuidado obsesivo a los detalles de la ropa y los fondos. Su diseño de personajes también me gusta mucho, porque cada uno tiene su estilo.

En cuanto a la historia, tengo mis momentos. Hachi es un personaje que me desespera muchísimo, pero también con el que a veces me siento identificada. Es una mujer normal que se ve envuelta entre personajes excepcionales
Raph♛
Oct 26, 2016 Raph♛ rated it really liked it
description
NANA is a tale of emotions,about emotions and people wishing for them,wishing against them and simply not knowing what to do about them
description
NANA is a story that stopped ages ago due to AI Yazawa-sensei illness.
it was cut off in a cliffhanger that can make you to scream in frustration and bow in front of sensei's magnificent work, seeing there are few mangas out there so realistic and raw.
every time i read it i feel confused,enthralled,pissed off,indignant and awed by the emotional rollercoaster this
Amber
Dec 23, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it
Nicole
Jun 17, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I don't know why I took so long to read Nana when I've been a huge fan of Paradise Kiss. But then again, better late than never.

I never thought I'd fall in love with reading manga again and Nana made me do just that. I got hooked from the first chapter and could not stop reading until I read everything (during our downtimes in a trip out of town I practically didn't do anything other than read Nana). The art is exactly the way I want it (though Clamp art is still definitely my favorite) and the
Noora
Jun 28, 2014 Noora rated it really liked it
SPOILER ALERT!

To be totally honest, I have never cried because of manga, but today I did. I read today Nana vol 21, which is also currently the last one because manga author Ai Yazawa has not yet continued her Nana manga. I really do hope Ai Yazawa will continue her Nana manga series. Vol 21 left Nanas story incomplete and Nana deserves ending.

After reading all 21 mangas, I have to say that Nana is well written. Characters are individual, interesting and plot keeps you going. You just can not st
Maite
May 31, 2013 Maite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-shelf, reviewed
El vigésimo primer volumen de ナナ Nana es la culminación de un ciclo para Ai Yazawa tras su impedimento para continuar el manga. Al leer este tomo y percatarme de que ya no hay un siguiente, de que la historia está inconclusa y de que todo ha quedado en medio de la expectativa, no pude evitar preguntarme como es que han sobrellevado los fanáticos este hecho después de leer estos volúmenes en su fecha de publicación original y enterarse de la situación de la autora en su momento.

¿Dónde está ナナ Nan
Banafsheh Esmailzadeh
Sep 11, 2016 Banafsheh Esmailzadeh rated it it was amazing
This volume legit broke my heart. Not only because it's a cliffhanger (for seven years, no less!), but because of all that happens. I hope very soon Yazawa-sensei will work on volume 22, which according to certain Italian websites she has said she will come back and work on it, though her health still isn't 100%, it's better than it was back in 2009 when the series went on hiatus.

I agree, it really was a relief to see Satsuki and Yasu after the gut-punches in the main timeline. Ooooh mama.
Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight)
While Volume 20 left me heart broken with lots of foreshadowing, Volume 21 tore my heart asunder. The story is cloaked in sadness and grief as we lose one vital character from the manga series. The main arc of this story is watching how each character reacts and deals with the loss. Once again the art of Yazawa is impeccable. She deftly uses wordless panels to show her characters' emotions without relying on wordy dialogue. It is also obvious that the author isn't shy away from causing her ...more
Sophie
Feb 19, 2013 Sophie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 1
Shelves: 2013-challenge, manga
Nana is one of my favourite mangas EVER! The storyline and premise is pretty original, and it's also covers a lot of sensitive topics.

The last volume (the series is on hiatus) was a shock. I didn't see it coming. I thought all the tragedy would be with Nana and her going missing, but I never quite expected there to be other major tragedies. I woke up early this morning to finish reading this manga, and by breakfast my eyes were puffy and my glasses and cheeks were stained with tears! THIS VOLUME
  • We Were There, Vol. 3
  • Mars, Volume 15
  • Nodame Cantabile, Vol. 9 (Nodame Cantabile, #9)
  • Sand Chronicles, Volume 6
Ai Yazawa (矢沢 あい ,Yazawa Ai, born 1967-03-07 in Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan) is a Japanese manga author. Her pen name comes from Japanese singer Eikichi Yazawa, of whom she is a fan.

Yazawa started her manga publishing life in 1985; throughout 15 years of publishing, she wrote over 10 series in Ribon. While most of her manga continues to be published in Japan by Shueisha, publishers of Ribon and Cookie
More about Ai Yazawa...

Nana (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Nana, Vol. 1 (Nana, #1)
  • Nana, Vol. 2 (Nana, #2)
  • Nana, Vol. 3 (Nana, #3)
  • Nana, Vol. 4 (Nana, #4)
  • Nana, Vol. 5 (Nana, #5)
  • Nana, Vol. 6 (Nana, #6)
  • Nana, Vol. 7 (Nana, #7)
  • Nana, Vol. 8 (Nana, #8)
  • Nana, Vol. 9 (Nana, #9)
  • Nana, Vol. 10 (Nana, #10)