Start by marking “Stepping on Roses, Volume 2” as Want to Read:
Stepping on Roses, Volume 2

Stepping on Roses, Volume 2 (Stepping On Roses #2)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,704 ratings  ·  42 reviews
A rags-to-riches romance from the creator of Tail of the Moon!

Reads R to L (Japanese Style). A rags-to-riches romance from the creator of Tail of the Moon!

Published July 6th 2010 by VIZ Media LLC (first published August 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Stepping on Roses, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stepping on Roses, Volume 2

Shannon
Oh my god, I think this is one of my new favorite mangas. I love pretty much everything about it. The major being the artwork. I can't stand to read any manga that has drawings I don't like. The cover to this volume was gorgeous! I took one look at it and started to drooling. One of my personal favorites was the drawings of when Soichiro jumped Sumi in bed. Not gonna lie, it was kinda hot. Also, still thinking that Sumi's brother is sexy. He's so attractive that even the prostitutes give him a s ...more
Amir at NotSoLiterary
TSTL girl with 2 assholes. I'm continuing on though.
Holly Letson
I'm really enjoying this series. But, Nozomu is getting really creepy. And, Soichiro needs to start letting Sumi into his heart, since she is his wife.
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

Sumi becomes torn when Soichiro's childhood friend Nozomu expresses romantic interest in her. While she is drawn to Nozomu, she is also committed to Soichiro as his wife. As Sumi fights off her feelings for Nozomu, how far will Nozomu go to win Sumi's love?

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed this volume more than the first one. I think it's because I understand the characters better. They aren't as black and white as they seemed in volume 1.

There's a lot going on in Soichirou's past. I understand why
Dani
It really amazed me how jazzed I was to read this volume - so much so I had to follow it up right away with volume 3!

I was irritated by Sumi falling for Nozomu when I really like Soichiro but really her liking him is understandable so I went with it and boy am I glad I did! This manga is extremely shallow at first glance and seems very contrived. But as you get into this volume you see that more is going on than meets the eye. I do really like Sumi. I like her morals and that she seems to be wor
*Miss Fame*
Huh... well of course Soichiro isn't going to really be a bad guy... of COURSE it is his horrible, heartbreaking past that made him this way.... the manga-ka wrote something about how this story was going to be stereotypical because she likes this kind of stereotypical story... and she wasn't kidding!

Despite that, I'm still enjoying it. Unfortunately the library copy was missing a handful of pages. Someone before hand had torn out nearly all the chapter splash pages and some other random pages,
Theresa ♫
Nov 11, 2013 Theresa ♫ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Do you like being disappointed? Or internally destroyed because of disgust?
Yeah, no.

I mean........NO.
This book gets a big NO.
A BIG FAT NO!

WHY AREN'T THESE CHARACTERS LOVABLE? They're not! I don't particularly like any of them . . .
AND IT SUCKS.

Okay . . . . . okay . . . this might turn into a rant.

1. A MARRIAGE WITHOUT LOVE?!
Okay I understand it's an arranged marriage and everything but it stresses the point of "No love in this marriage" so much that it's literally annoying my hair out of my head. I'M ALMOST BALD.
(I'm not really but I bet this would make an even more se
Becky
Joti
Rhapsody
Roxanne
Maybe it was just me but I didn't see the plot twists coming. S wants his wife to be seduced by N to gain power/convenient blackmailing fodder. N secretly looks down his nose at S and has, IMO, a Mr Darcy type of outlook as far rich and poor, legitimate and being born 'on the wrong side of blanket', and entitlement without any of Mr Darcy's appeal. I don't like N. Hopefully Sumi will find her voice/grow a spine as the series goes on and speak up for yourself. Don't know if I want Sumi to be eith ...more
Mikaela
Gaaah! Oh my gawd! Nozomu-kun is really pushing it. I know he likes and her all but she's already married to Souchirou! Sumi tries hard to avoid him but damn.. Komai is so sneaky! Grrr.. this is so frustrating
Blair Mirth
As the story continues plot thickens, sabotage is high in spirits, betrayle is as sharp as a thorn and love and lust dominate the competition. With an undertone of darkness, and a lot of light humor in between the second installment was more addictive then the first. I cannot help falling for the poor children and their comedic ways, and Sumi who instead of following her heart acts out of duty and finds herself in a bit of a predicament come the end of the volume. We even get a darker glimps int ...more
Beth
Feb 09, 2014 Beth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
2 l/2 stars-I don't know if it's the translation or the writing, but a lot of the dialogue is ridiculously juvenile. I'll continue to read, but hope it will improve.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Yikes, the story just got a little awkward. And now it seems there's a love triangle. Can't get more awkward than that.
Kayla Warner
This was an interesting book. Cute and conflicting and I really enjoyed it!
Kristine Pratt
Nozomu, she's MARRIED! Good heavens man, keep your hands to yourself!
Alise  (Readers in Wonderland)
Right now I dislike her with both guys.
Sarah Kate
Freaking heck, Nozomu!
Camille
- I read the whole thing in like 2 hours. It was pretty easy to understand. I like the forbidden love occurrence~

- Second time reading: I thought that it was amazing. I could tell that Soichiro fell in love with Sumi~ Nozomu can't understand that she is trying to get away from him. He's basically being a Soichiro in another form. He's taking Sumi away from what she wants. Al least he's doing it out of love~ <3
Snarky Hatter
So I am still not a fan of Soichiro (not even much of a Nozomu fan), but I'm a lot more interested in what's going on.

Soichiro is still an ass, but I really want to see how his convoluted scheme turns out. I would like to think when Sumi learns why he married her (besides getting his grandpa's land), she'll berate him, but I have a sinking feeling that Sumi is going to cry then excuse his actions.
Phoebe Andamo
In this volume, it shows that the problem of someone might be trivial to another people.
And it shows Soichirou's soft spots ;)
Funny how Soichirou's plans backfires. Super fail lol

Nozomu is cute and nice but he suddenly turns into a creepy guy. No decent friend would steal his friend's newly wedded wife or any decent guy.

And the usual knight in shinning armor scene in shoujo mangas appears!
Jessica Moniz
Ohmigosh this has to be my new favourite manga series! I just asdfghjkl Souichiro, I love him, and its so sweet to watch them subtly fall for each other. Nozomu what the actual freaking heck? Man I just couldn't wait to read this, so even though I only own the first one, I am going through this series on manga fox! I'm definitely buying it though!
Brad
Wow! Stepping on Roses (VOL.2) really took me by surprise!!! It literally had me on the edge of bed the whole entire time. Poor Sumi ....is forced into this estranged marriage with Soichiro, while having feelings for Nozomu? I don't know which Male character I like more? Soichiro or Nozomu? totally worth the Five stars!!!

おめどございます!!上田りんこさん!!!
Lura (The Life of Serendipity)
I just picked this manga up yesterday and I want to go back and get the next volume! Its got a really bad cliffy at the end and it leaves you wanting- no needing to know whats going to happen next! I'm happy to report that I'll be going back to the bookstore to get the next volume later on today X3
EroMaru
I enjoyed it, was a fairly easy and quick read. On the one hand i love the characters and other find them annoying a strange combination that kept me reading onward. This series reminds me of a prime time soap opera, love tri-angles, blackmail, and betrayal makes for good entertainment.
Amber
Sep 09, 2011 Amber rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Seems a bit inconsistent character wise--the series gets progressively better as it goes on, but the first two books are not exactly a well establishment of the characters.
Talyn
Okay so I continued this to try again. It got better but...I don't know. I'm on volume 5 as I write this. Some bits fall flat, others are typical shojo that I like..we'll see.
Robert Dufalo
It's moving away from the cookie cutter that I thought that it was falling into.
I'm looking forward to reading part 3 next!
Art was good, but it's getting better!
  • Dawn of the Arcana, Vol. 04 (Dawn of the Arcana, #4)
  • A Devil and Her Love Song, Vol. 9 (A Devil and Her Love Song, #9)
  • Black Bird, Vol. 16 (Black Bird, #16)
  • Wild Ones, Vol. 5 (Wild Ones, #5)
  • The Earl and The Fairy, Vol. 02 (The Earl and the Fairy, #2)
  • キスよりも早く1 [Kisu Yorimo Hayaku 5] (Faster than a Kiss #5)
  • Otomen, Vol. 2 (Otomen, #2)
Japanese name: 上田倫子

She is a Japanese manga artist who does mainly shojo manga. Her works are primarily serialized in Margaret magazine, with series published in collected volumes by Shueisha, though she has also been featured in fellow Shueisha publication Ribon, as well as illustrating the novel adaptation of her own Stepping on Roses series in Cobalt.
More about Rinko Ueda...

Stepping On Roses (9 books)
  • Stepping on Roses, Vol. 1
  • Stepping on Roses, Volume 3
  • Stepping on Roses, Volume 4
  • Stepping on Roses, Volume 5
  • Stepping on Roses, Volume 6
  • Stepping on Roses, Volume 7
  • Stepping On Roses, Volume 8
  • Stepping on Roses, Volume 9
Stepping on Roses, Vol. 1 Tail of the Moon, Volume 1 Stepping on Roses, Volume 4 Tail of the Moon Prequel: The Other Hanzo[u] Stepping on Roses, Volume 3