Start by marking “The Marrow of Modern Divinity” as Want to Read:
The Marrow of Modern Divinity

The Marrow of Modern Divinity

An intriguing book, quite unlike any other The Marrow of Modern Divinity defies pigeon-holing. It was written in the 1600s by an author of whom we know little, yet it proved to be a critically important and controversial theological text.
Penned as dialogue between a minister(Evangelista), a young Christian(Neophytus), a legalist(Nomista) who believes Christianity is a set
Published November 1st 2009 by Christian Focus Publications (first published 1645)

To ask other readers questions about The Marrow of Modern Divinity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marrow of Modern Divinity

Tom F
May 25, 2015 Tom F rated it it was amazing
I don't feel I am qualified to review such a book. I will, however, give a bit of my thoughts on it.

I appreciate Fisher's conversations to explain the believer's relationship to the Law, and the distinction between Law and Gospel. Also, the exposition of the ten commandments is as good as our catechism in what the Law requires of man.

Boston's notes, though sometimes a bit difficult to follow, in jumping between Boston's notes and Fisher's book, are helpful, and could be a book on their own.

I a
Brenden Link
Feb 04, 2012 Brenden Link rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Let’s face it, covenant theology isn’t exactly the easiest thing to figure out. There are always those nagging questions. For example: "Was Israel really in some sort of ‘covenant of works’? What is the exact difference between the ‘law’ and the ‘gospel’? Where do works come into the equation of our salvation?

These and many other issues are intuitively addressed and ingenuously explained in this masterful volume of 17th century English theology. This is both a work of art and a work of theology.
Aug 17, 2010 Coyle rated it it was amazing
A devotional elenctic theology from the time of Cromwell, this forgotten book really should not have been forgotten. Cast in the form of a Q&A session between a new Christian (Neophytus), a legalist (Nomista), an antinomian (Antinomista) and a preacher (Evangelista), the work extensively covers the nature of and relationship between the Law and the Gospel. In short, the Christian is utterly and completely free from the condemning power of the law.
Though the content is great, the edition leav
Paul Buckley
A Must Read for Every Christian!

A Bunyan like discussion of the nature of grace and the law, essential issues for all. Enjoyable, challenging and helpful!
A must read on the distinction between the law and the Gospel and the role of the law of God in a believers life. Although I disagree with some of the assumptions of the federal theology presented in the book it is a useful balanced response to two errors that are two sides of the same coin due to misinterpreting the relationship between the law and Gospel: neonomianims & antinomianism. These heresies are still prevalent today under different guises such as the federal vision, new perspectiv ...more
Jerrold Lewis
Oct 04, 2014 Jerrold Lewis rated it it was amazing
For its historical/theological benefit alone it is a must read, simply because it generated so much controversy in its day. I was particularly interested in the charge of antinomianism this work's detractors. Yet after reading it, I have concluded that the charges are misapplied. The Marrow Men, and Fisher were speaking out against preperationism, which, if you come from the position of the Scottish General Assembly of The Marrow's Day, would have appeared to have an immediate[ness] to Christ wi ...more
Jan 13, 2009 Philip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in what the Bible teaches on justification and sanctification
Recommended to Philip by: Seminary professors
Here is an excellent, careful, and Biblical exposition of justification and sanctification, as well as the Biblical and Reformed doctrine of the free offer of the Gospel. The copious notes by the Rev. Thomas Boston at least double the value of Fisher's work.

This was a very controversial book in the early 1700s and, in certain circles, remains so today. It tackled and demolished legalism, antinomianism, Arminianism, and true "Hyper-Calvinism" (as opposed to real "five point" Calvinism). It got ev
Aaron Cerda
Feb 16, 2015 Aaron Cerda rated it it was amazing
I don't give too many books five stars. This book was deeply profound. I had to go through many sections two...even three times to make sure that I was not only catching the theological teachings, but also not missing the historical significance and the role that the book played in the Marrow Controversy of the early 18th century. This book truly does help to navigate between the two extremes of antinomianism and legalism. This edition includes the explanatory notes by Puritan Thomas Boston whic ...more
Mike Awtry
May 16, 2016 Mike Awtry rated it it was amazing
A deep and beautiful book about the law and the gospel, how the law drives us to Christ and how we respond to his gospel with the law. Very helpful in thinking about sanctification, and easily applicable to preaching, counseling, and personal growth in holiness. Full of beautiful prose; highly recommended.
Apr 03, 2012 Maranatha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most important book that I have read in my life. Fisher, a Scottish barber, if that is correct, has written this as a collection of the best Reformed Theology in his time so that the Church can avoid the pitfalls of antinomianism and legalism.
Andy Smith
Jan 17, 2014 Andy Smith rated it it was amazing
Simply put: the best volume on Christian theology and living at this length I have ever read. The only other that comes close is Calvin's Institutes, which is substantially longer. A MUST READ FOR ALL CLERGY AND ASTUTE LAYMEN! An absolute treasure.
Blake Mundell
Jun 26, 2015 Blake Mundell rated it it was amazing
Game changer. I will always remember the Marrow as an incredibly formative read.
Benjamin Glaser
Jun 07, 2013 Benjamin Glaser rated it it was amazing
Shelves: puritans, theology
Classic, excellent, awesome.
Frank D. Todd
Frank D. Todd is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2016
Brian is currently reading it
Oct 10, 2016
John Kirkwood
John Kirkwood marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
James Taylor
James Taylor rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Ralph Mullenax
Ralph Mullenax marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Darby Hughes
Darby Hughes marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Brandon Wilkins
Brandon Wilkins is currently reading it
Sep 19, 2016
Liam marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Bryan Northcutt
Bryan Northcutt marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Selkie Narwhal
Selkie Narwhal rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Shaun Marksbury
Shaun Marksbury marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Allison is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2016
Justin Magdellini
Justin Magdellini is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2016
Jane Peterson
Jane Peterson marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Simon O'Mahony
Simon O'Mahony rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2016
Michelle is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Plan of Salvation
  • From Heaven He Came and Sought Her: Definite Atonement in Historical, Biblical, Theological, and Pastoral Perspective
  • Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
  • The Creedal Imperative
  • The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance—Why the Marrow Controversy Still Matters
  • Paul: An Outline of His Theology
  • Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • Reformed Dogmatics Volume 3: Sin and Salvation in Christ
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • Counted Righteous in Christ: Should We Abandon the Imputation of Christ's Righteousness?
  • Covenantal Apologetics: Principles and Practice in Defense of Our Faith
  • Charity & Its Fruits
  • A New Testament Biblical Theology: The Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New
  • Killing Calvinism: How to Destroy a Perfectly Good Theology from the Inside