Start by marking “Choosing Glory” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Choosing Glory

Lili DeHoyos Anderson

Choosing Glory

CHOOSING GLORY considers the LDS doctrine of celestial, terrestrial, and telestial realms, suggesting that--here on earth--we deal with all three kinds of individuals, behaviors, institutions, and ways of life. Dr. Anderson applies a three realms perspective to daily choices, dating, marriage, parenting, stress, and progression. She offers concrete tools to help us find ...more
Published 2009

To ask other readers questions about Choosing Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choosing Glory

Karin
Jun 15, 2014 Karin rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-non-fiction

I loved this book as soon as I started reading it. It was eloquent, helpful, clear...I loved it. I was totally prepared to have a major paradigm shift and rate this 5 stars, it was that good. Things are not just good and bad; they are good better best.

Then I read her chapter on parenting.

And I was so disappointed. It was like she had this groundbreaking way to see the world and how we as humans are complicated, spiritual beings...but somehow it didn't apply to parenting and to children. Someh
Becky Roper
Mar 11, 2016 Becky Roper rated it liked it
This counselor applies the LDS doctrine of the three degrees of glory to many of the life situations we deal with; marraige, parenting, stress, life balance etc. It uses a lot of scripture references and would not be well understood by non-Mormons, but it was an interesting perspective.
Summer Larson
Oct 07, 2011 Summer Larson rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I don't usually love "spiritual self-help" books because I find them to be overly ethereal or esoteric. However, "Choosing Glory" took a very practical, well thought out and scripturally solid approach to spiritual progression. I found it helpful to me as a person and as a mother.
Julie
Apr 29, 2010 Julie rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the perspective and advice in this book. I don't always love "church books" but found this one both easy to read and very gospel centered.
Susan Jones
Sep 24, 2016 Susan Jones rated it really liked it
I have to admit that I'm always a little leery reading "church books" by someone other than a general authority, general president, etc., because I recognize that a lot of what's in there could just be opinion. However, I found this book to be one that I enjoyed and seemed to make sense to me. It certainly gave me food for thought.
Elasha
Aug 12, 2012 Elasha rated it really liked it
This past year we lost several ward members, including two women to cancer. Both of the funerals were inspiring -- these were exemplary women; women to model my life after. A daughter of one of them mentioned this book in her funeral talk for her mother (one of her mother's favorite books). This particular woman had the gift of making everyone she met feel as if they'd been her friend always. She and her husband were shining lights to everyone who knew them and everywhere they served.

So, the bo
Tamra
Nov 18, 2012 Tamra rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
O.K. a lot of the time I have a love, hate relationship with church books! Well, mostly a hate relationship. But I try, I really do try to have more love in my heart for these types of books. But it seems like so often they end up repeating themselves, over & over as if they're trying to fill up the white space on a page. Now, this book did do that some but not to the point where I wanted to drown the book in my bath. She (she, being the author) had many good points and some creative ideas ...more
Nancy
Apr 19, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
I really liked this book - I would give it 4 1/2 stars if that was an option. It was written by an LDS woman who is a individual,family, and marriage counselor. She applies the three degrees of glory to counseling and to living in general. Her application of these concepts to everyday life and to counseling was a new way of looking at this doctrine for me and one that made a lot of sense. She made it so clear to me that we are indeed "choosing glory" every day in the choices we make, and that ...more
Becky
Sep 02, 2010 Becky rated it it was amazing
Angie Taylor
Sep 24, 2012 Angie Taylor rated it it was amazing
Without sounding too cheesy, I really felt like I was choosing glory by reading this book. It was uplifting, informative, readable/interesting/didn't make me fall asleep, and really put the idea of the three degrees of glory into a very tangible thought proccess. I feel like I am going to be constantly monitoring my choices throughout the day and week as telestial, terrestrial, or celestial.

For those that are interested in how members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints look at t
Sharlet Doxey
Sep 17, 2010 Sharlet Doxey rated it it was amazing
I read this book bc the author was not only on of my professors at BYU, but also the mother of a dear friend growing up and also someone I greatly respect.
Her theory and explainations on the three degrees of glory and how our choices and lifestyles fall into those different categories is very insightful and logical. I loved how this book made me look at things in my life from a different perspective and want to do better. I especially enjoyed the stories she related from her work as a couselor/
Jenny
Jan 31, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
I really like this one. Couldn't decide between a 4 and 5 star. I think the reason I like her book so much is that I like her so much. Dr. Anderson is a great story teller and weaves her ideas into fun tales leaving the reader with easily applied principles. Lili was a former professer of mine and she taught her theories to her classes and later wrote this book. It caused me to think very deeply at the time and I have never forgotten the principles. I wanted to refresh my memory, and found this ...more
Tandy
Dec 16, 2012 Tandy rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended by my Doctor during a very difficult time in my life. I do not enjoy reading self help books at all normally but this book has given me new perspectives and ways of thinking about life. It touched my soul deeply. The author teaches you how to recognize which of the three kingdoms you are functioning in and how to recognize that and to progress in the right direction. The author uses scripture references and general authority quotes to improve our understanding of what ...more
Alyssa
Sep 11, 2010 Alyssa rated it really liked it
Sister Anderson did a beautiful job with this book. Using her "Three Realms" perspective, she helped me to see where I am, and where I could be if I would choose to live my life in a way that is more pleasing to my Father in Heaven. Choosing is the key!

Though she may not have intended it as a major point in the book, she articulated a great principle that I will take to heart: Choosing between right and wrong is never intolerance.
Jason
Mar 22, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I thought this was a good book. Dr. Anderson really did her research. It seems applicable and tells you enough to understand the basics but it leaves you room to figure out how this applies to you. As a therapist, I think this really applies to marriage issues. I like the idea that a lot of problems in a marriage stem from one or both partners living a telestial life. Very well done and I appreciate the time and effort Dr. Anderson put in to share her insight and knowledge.
Lucinda
Sep 26, 2011 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
Lets you know by how you are living your life right now which glory you are working to attain. It was a very thoughtful exploration into our Telestial behaviors and a more perfected Terrestrial lives that puts us on the path, if we work towards being like Christ, to attain Celestial Glory. It is up to the individual to decide what he will settle for or strive to attain through the atonement of Christ.
Julie
Jan 06, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic and brilliantly written book. The author's insight is new and exciting. She explains so well the logic behind abusive people's arguments and the guilt trips that they direct toward others. She also leads the reader to check against their own choices and see how improvements can be made.
Jojo
Mar 10, 2013 Jojo rated it it was amazing
I heard Lili DeHoyos Anderson speak at a stake fireside that our stake held. I was so impressed that I asked for this book for Christmas. This book is very inspiring and helps one think about the choices one makes every day. I also like the real-life examples Anderson uses from her experiences as a counselor.
Wendy
May 22, 2016 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book. Dr. Anderson explores the three realms: Telestial, Terestial, and Celestial, and applies them to almost every aspect of our lives. We, as individuals, aren't able to live Celestial lives without first knowing and recognizing the behaviors of the other two kingdoms. As the title of the book suggests, everyday we must work to improve and choose glory.
Lisa
Jul 27, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This was a very inspirational book for me. It has really made me think twice about my behavior and choices that I make in life. I had many "Aha!" moments while reading this and it really has given me a desire to be better. I plan on buying this book to reread in the future and would recommend it to anyone!
Cathy
Jul 08, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing
This is such a thought provoking book. It discusses the differences between Telestial, Terrestrial and Celestial behavior and thinking. It is very helpful and would improve anyone's relationships, especially in marriage and family. I highly recommend it. Non-fiction, informative. Writer is a licensed clinical social worker who invites all to step up to a higher level of life and behavior.
M.J. Evans
Jan 02, 2013 M.J. Evans rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone seeking wisdom in negotiating life's challenges!
I am so glad I chose this book. It is written with wisdom, knowledge and just the right touch of humor. It opens your eyes to the choices that you make that keep you from reaching Celestial goals. I will read it again and again.
Kathi
Apr 27, 2012 Kathi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-favorites
I enjoyed this book, and enjoyed its predecessor also. This isn't quite as broad based as "Family Foundations." I think what I appreciate most is that she gives you a concept, explains it, gives a real life experience, and then how to implement section. I recommend this to anyone. So good!
Melanie
Jan 25, 2011 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Really helped me understand the difference in choices and how it will determine to which degree of glory we will go.
Borrowed the book to read. Want to add it to my own collection.
GREAT READ!!
Kristin
Nov 27, 2011 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I found Lili's book to be so insightful and incredibly helpful. I wasn't the biggest fan of the 3 degrees of glory analogy, but that did not detract from so many of the thought-provoking and insightful discussions she had in the book!
Annette
Nov 17, 2011 Annette rated it really liked it
I wouldn't say I learned something new as much as it helped me clarify my thinking on a few things. I marked several passages with the thought that I might need to review them again to maintain the clarity that they gave me.
Pat
Oct 03, 2010 Pat rated it really liked it
Gives new insight on how to incorporate living the Gospel with the Degrees of Glory. Gave me a new perspective.
Karen
Feb 24, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This was such an applicable book that helped me understand people in general better and with more compasssion.
Amanda Ainge
Amanda Ainge rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Deborah Weiss
Dec 29, 2014 Deborah Weiss rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Opened my eyes to more purpose in life. Solid, reliable truth. Definitely a re read.
« previous 1 3 next »
Lili De Hoyos Anderson is a first generation American. Her mother is French and her father is Mexican. She was born in a little border town in Texas, but her family soon moved to the Midwest, where she grew up in Michigan and Indiana. When she started high school, both her parents began teaching at BYU, so the family moved to Provo and she graduated from Provo High School.

Sister Anderson attended
More about Lili DeHoyos Anderson...