The Demon Redcoat (Traitor to the Crown #3)

The Demon Redcoat (Traitor to the Crown #3)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The War of Independence appears to have no end in sight. Discouraged by the bloodshed and suffering their magic can do nothing to prevent, Proctor and his wife, Deborah, dream of starting a family. But whenDeborah gives birth, a powerful demon called Balfri, summoned by the secret society of European witches known as the Covenant, tries to possess the child. Though the att...more
Published June 23rd 2009 by Random House Publishing Group (first published June 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Demon Redcoat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demon Redcoat

Mikel
This was my favorite of the series. It was interesting and had much less padding than the others. The historical events in this one were really good. As American's it deals a lot with the events that we don't hear about. It started out a little slow but the last part was much quicker paced. I even might have like a little more in the end. Warning: if you're new the Fantasy and 'magic' this one deals a lot with what is called 'blood magic' which may not sit well with some readers. I would have li...more
Dena Landon
This book is the sequel to The Patriot Witch, but can easily be read on its own. The action picks up several months later, in the thick of the Revolutionary War. Proctor Brown is in search of more witches to join the group at the Farm in fighting to help the revolutionary soldiers when he encounters a strange and powerful creature named Bootzamon. Actually the spirit of a dead witch, Bootzamon tells Proctor that the Covenant is looking for young witches to use in their spells against the rebels....more
Joseph Teller
The third and final book of the Traitor to the Crown series brings the tale through to its conclusion. Proctor heads to Europe to seek out and deal with the covenant after the birth of his and Deborah's child, after warnings from the ghost of the covenant's continues schemings against them. He travels with John Adam's retinue on their way to France, and runs into some of the more mystically inclined figures of the period, some of whom are involved with the covenant and others in opposition.

Much...more
Margaret
7/8/12 ** A solid end to the series. Magic became more ambiguous - which was good. It became clearer that the Covenant wasn't really fighting FOR the Brits, only supporting them as a means to their own goals. Also, Proctor began to cross the line into less-clear-cut "good" magic, causing us to wonder if the end justifies the means, or if magic involving blood isn't necessarily evil if the blood was offered, rather than taken by force.

I appreciated two oblique references to Marion, the Swamp Fox....more
Craig
The Traitor to the Crown trilogy closes out neatly with this volume. The historical aspect is cleverly done, especially the interaction of fictional and real-world characters. (I especially liked a cameo from William Blake.) The main character, Proctor Brown, is not a very likeable character through most of the book, but develops well and changes and has grown by the end. Some of the phrases and dialog struck me as a bit too modern-day and is occasionally jarring to the narrative flow, but overa...more
My least favorite in the trilogy - not sure why Proctor went on the trip he went on…. the storyline with Lydia had no pay-off…. Deborah and Proctor not together made for a less fun read… we never even get to know maggie and the whole conclusion was dissapointing. In the end I loved the trilogy as a whole, but this book is the least of the three, it is to bad it is the conclusion.
Chad
Not as good as the previous two books in the series, but still enjoyable. The ending could have been stronger as it seemed that the final battle was just a quick way to close out the book. Rating is probably closer to 3.5. It is a shame that the 3rd and final book of this series was the one that I enjoyed the least. Still, the series is well worth one's time.
Karen Ziemkowski
This book gets 5 stars for incredible historical detail & 3 stars for plot. While I enjoyed it, the last installment to this series was lacking compared to the 2nd book, which I consider the best. There were some wonderful scenes, though (the magical storm at sea was one of my favorites) and I was satisfied and happy about the ending.
Jeff
Polished off this series. I spent a lot of time thinking "I wish this had been written by Tim Powers". The main character is a wiccan Forest Gump, as the plot drags him from historical set piece to historical set piece.
Kim
Just OK. Not great. Not bad. Just something to pass time with. Probably the best of the three...but you have to read all three to have this one make any sense.
Susan Moore
I couldn't put this down. The magic is woven so well into this story of the Revolution, England and France in 1779 and the sights and smells are well done.
Kelly Flanagan
I wasn't very impressed with this book, I found it to be trite, skipping many details of the plot in order to fill in historical facts
Cissa
I wasn't thrilled with this conclusion of the trilogy.

I did like the world... but I was not impressed by the plotting.
Geoff Schaeffer
A good conclusion to the trilogy, although it kind of trickled out at the end.
Isabel
Kinda boring. Trudged through it, god knows why.
Rebecca
Entertaining but hard to get through.
Jack
A worthy conclusion.
Matt
Matt added it
Jul 08, 2014
Wesley York
Wesley York marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Sarah added it
May 24, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Needaname
Needaname marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Note: First novel and short story collection were published as "Charles Coleman Finlay."
More about C.C. Finlay...
The Patriot Witch (Traitor to the Crown, #1) A Spell for the Revolution (Traitor to the Crown, #2) The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, July/August 2014 Wild Things The Prodigal Troll