Start by marking “The Demon Redcoat (Traitor to the Crown #3)” as Want to Read:
The Demon Redcoat (Traitor to the Crown #3)

The Demon Redcoat (Traitor to the Crown #3)

The War of Independence appears to have no end in sight. Discouraged by the bloodshed and suffering their magic can do nothing to prevent, Proctor and his wife, Deborah, dream of starting a family. But whenDeborah gives birth, a powerful demon called Balfri, summoned by the secret society of European witches known as the Covenant, tries to possess the child. Though the att ...more
Published June 23rd 2009 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Demon Redcoat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demon Redcoat

Mikel
This was my favorite of the series. It was interesting and had much less padding than the others. The historical events in this one were really good. As American's it deals a lot with the events that we don't hear about. It started out a little slow but the last part was much quicker paced. I even might have like a little more in the end. Warning: if you're new the Fantasy and 'magic' this one deals a lot with what is called 'blood magic' which may not sit well with some readers. I would have li ...more
Dena Landon
Jul 06, 2009 Dena Landon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the sequel to The Patriot Witch, but can easily be read on its own. The action picks up several months later, in the thick of the Revolutionary War. Proctor Brown is in search of more witches to join the group at the Farm in fighting to help the revolutionary soldiers when he encounters a strange and powerful creature named Bootzamon. Actually the spirit of a dead witch, Bootzamon tells Proctor that the Covenant is looking for young witches to use in their spells against the rebels. ...more
Joseph Teller
The third and final book of the Traitor to the Crown series brings the tale through to its conclusion. Proctor heads to Europe to seek out and deal with the covenant after the birth of his and Deborah's child, after warnings from the ghost of the covenant's continues schemings against them. He travels with John Adam's retinue on their way to France, and runs into some of the more mystically inclined figures of the period, some of whom are involved with the covenant and others in opposition.

Much
Margaret
7/8/12 ** A solid end to the series. Magic became more ambiguous - which was good. It became clearer that the Covenant wasn't really fighting FOR the Brits, only supporting them as a means to their own goals. Also, Proctor began to cross the line into less-clear-cut "good" magic, causing us to wonder if the end justifies the means, or if magic involving blood isn't necessarily evil if the blood was offered, rather than taken by force.

I appreciated two oblique references to Marion, the Swamp Fox.
Craig
Oct 23, 2009 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Traitor to the Crown trilogy closes out neatly with this volume. The historical aspect is cleverly done, especially the interaction of fictional and real-world characters. (I especially liked a cameo from William Blake.) The main character, Proctor Brown, is not a very likeable character through most of the book, but develops well and changes and has grown by the end. Some of the phrases and dialog struck me as a bit too modern-day and is occasionally jarring to the narrative flow, but overa ...more
My least favorite in the trilogy - not sure why Proctor went on the trip he went on…. the storyline with Lydia had no pay-off…. Deborah and Proctor not together made for a less fun read… we never even get to know maggie and the whole conclusion was dissapointing. In the end I loved the trilogy as a whole, but this book is the least of the three, it is to bad it is the conclusion.
Chad
Not as good as the previous two books in the series, but still enjoyable. The ending could have been stronger as it seemed that the final battle was just a quick way to close out the book. Rating is probably closer to 3.5. It is a shame that the 3rd and final book of this series was the one that I enjoyed the least. Still, the series is well worth one's time.
Karen Ziemkowski
Aug 12, 2011 Karen Ziemkowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This book gets 5 stars for incredible historical detail & 3 stars for plot. While I enjoyed it, the last installment to this series was lacking compared to the 2nd book, which I consider the best. There were some wonderful scenes, though (the magical storm at sea was one of my favorites) and I was satisfied and happy about the ending.
Jeff
Oct 20, 2010 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Polished off this series. I spent a lot of time thinking "I wish this had been written by Tim Powers". The main character is a wiccan Forest Gump, as the plot drags him from historical set piece to historical set piece.
Kim
Oct 31, 2011 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just OK. Not great. Not bad. Just something to pass time with. Probably the best of the three...but you have to read all three to have this one make any sense.
Susan Moore
Jul 17, 2009 Susan Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic-historical
I couldn't put this down. The magic is woven so well into this story of the Revolution, England and France in 1779 and the sights and smells are well done.
Kelly Flanagan
I wasn't very impressed with this book, I found it to be trite, skipping many details of the plot in order to fill in historical facts
Cissa
I wasn't thrilled with this conclusion of the trilogy.

I did like the world... but I was not impressed by the plotting.
Geoff Schaeffer
A good conclusion to the trilogy, although it kind of trickled out at the end.
Lauren Bucci
Nov 11, 2015 Lauren Bucci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved this series so much ! highly recommended
Isabel
Kinda boring. Trudged through it, god knows why.
Rebecca
Nov 21, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining but hard to get through.
Jack
Aug 05, 2010 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, alt-history
A worthy conclusion.
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jul 18, 2016
Tina Musso
Tina Musso marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Greg
Greg rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Andrew Franke
Andrew Franke rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Harish
Harish added it
Apr 02, 2016
Michael Schulz
Michael Schulz marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Fhafard
Fhafard marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
  • Flowers for Her Grave (Grim Reaper Mystery, #3)
  • The Edge of Ruin (Edge #2)
  • Valley of the Soul (Dubric Bryerly, #3)
  • Master and Apprentice (Gavyn Donatti, #2)
  • The Rose of the World (Fool's Gold, #3)
  • Duke Elric (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #4)
  • To Wish or Not to Wish (As You Wish, #3)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Jesse James Dawson, #2)
  • Himmler's War
  • Exceptions to Reality: Stories
  • Bestseller Bound Anthology (Volume 1)
  • The Night of the Swarm (The Chathrand Voyages #4)
  • Poison Sleep (Marla Mason, #2)
  • The Zarder
  • The Double Cross (Someday Quilts Mystery, #3)
  • Irish Tales of Terror
  • Maelstrom (Destroyermen, #3)
  • The Witches of Jericho (Edenwitch #1)
Editor: The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (fandsf.com).

Author: The Prodigal Troll, the Traitor to the Crown Series, and Wild Things, and dozens of short stories.

Awards: nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (2003), the Hugo Award (2003, 2009), the Locus Award for Best Magazine (2016), the Nebula Award (2003, 2009), the Sidewise Award (2003) Sturgeon Award (2009)
More about C.C. Finlay...

Traitor to the Crown (3 books)
  • The Patriot Witch (Traitor to the Crown, #1)
  • A Spell for the Revolution (Traitor to the Crown, #2)