Start by marking “Dead Air (A Talk Radio Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Air (A Talk Radio Mystery #1)

Dead Air (A Talk Radio Mystery #1)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The first in an original new series.

When a psychologist hits Florida's airwaves, there's no telling who she's reaching...

...and there's no telling who wants to reach back.

Maggie left her Manhattan practice for sunny Cypress Grove, Florida. where she hosts a talk radio show on WYME, parceling out psychological wisdom between interviews with guests, commercial readings and t
Published January 5th 2010 by Signet (first published November 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Air

Mary Kennedy
Jun 23, 2010 Mary Kennedy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
This is the very first in my Talk Radio Mysteries for Penguin. My agent pitched and sold it as "Frasier meets Murder She Wrote"-it's about a radio talk show host (think Frasier) who solves a murder in every book (think Murder She Wrote). And I was lucky enough to get a cover quote from Donald Bain, who writes the Murder She Wrote series from Penguin. You can read more at my website www.marykennedy.net
Jenn
This is what happens when you randomly pick something up off the shelf at the used book store, hoping for a new cozy that you'll be into.

The premise was fine. The writing...eh. The "heroine" is annoying as hell. I expect a certain amount of professionalism from a psychologist. I also expect a certain amount of intelligence. Maggie's lacking in both. She blunders her way through life and frankly I wouldn't trust her to advise me on my lunch choice, much less life choices.

I like to consider myse
Trine
Apr 07, 2010 Trine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Denise, Kate, Sheena, Sophiene
Martha Cheves
Dead Air - Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat

"Bomb, Bomb! Ohmigod. We'd just gotten a bomb threat. My thoughts scurried through my head like a manic squirrel as I tried to deal with the reality of the threat. Was it a joke? Was it serious? And if there was really a bomb, where was it? Would there be time to evacuate the station? Should I dial 911 or alert the switchboard first? Or the station manager? Was there some procedure I was supposed to follow? I looked over at Vera
Myhotstylist
An Average who-done-it cozy with a radio psycologist as the main character.

Meet Maggie Walsh radio personality living in Cypress Grove FL. After her guest Guru Sanyay Ginjii does a radio interview with Maggie, he is found dead in his hotel room. From the moment she meets the Guru, she knows hes a fraud an a fake. Yet with tons of loyal followers, its going to be a job to find out how he really died. Maggies roomate, Lark is placed at the scene of the crime and is the only suspect the police hav
Vanessa James-brooks
Jun 24, 2010 Vanessa James-brooks rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Vanessa by: Mary Kennedy
Helen
Dead Air, by Mary Kennedy, is a book in the “Talk Radio Mystery” series. It’s not Kennedy’s first book, however. She’s written forty books, although not all of them in this series.

Even though the protagonist, Maggie Walsh, is a psychologist, in this book, she dishes out little advice. She does, however, get immediately involved in the murder mystery. She’s determined to prove Lark innocent, even though Lark looks quite guilty and the detective out to arrest Lark looks quite delicious.

After seve
Dieda Vorkosigan
My foray into the world of cozy mystery, step #2

I've never read chick lit before, I don't think, not really. But, see, I think it should be exactly like this novel.

This is not a masterpiece and it's not addictive. It doesn't suck you in and spit you out in the end, chewed over and changed for life.

But, see, it's amusing. It's got a certain wit and flair, with an occasional side of irony.

After Books Can Be Deceiving it's like a ray of sunlight on the 25th of December. On Alaska.

The writing and t
TheGeekyBlogger
Listened/Read for Fun (Audible/Kindle)
Tracking Books Read Review (Short)
Overall Rating: 3.25
Story Rating: 3.50
Character Rating: 3.00

Audio Rating: 3.00 (Not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: Dead Air had a fun, quirky case but the characters just didn't grab me. They had potential though!

Story Thoughts: Dead Air was the beginning of a new cozy mystery series. I liked Mary Kennedy's writing voice and she wrote an overall super fun mystery. The only thing I really had a hard t
Joanne
I really liked this cozy! Maggie Walsh is a psychologist who has left the big city to be a radio talk show "therapist," taking calls and offering advice. When one of her guests, Guru Sanjay Gingii is murdered in the night after appearing on her show, her roommate, Lark, a huge fan of the Guru, is the prime suspect! Committed to proving Lark's innocence, Maggie begins to do some sleuthing of her own, not trusting sexy detective Rafe Martino to look at other suspects, of which there are many! Guru ...more
Cynthiaヽ(*⌒∇⌒*)ノ DLS
I read this book a long time ago. I don't remember much details so I might have to re-read to give a better review. Though I do remember it was fun, easy to read and slow paced, but it was necessary when there is mystery and investigation.
Amanda
Maggie Walsh is sensational.
She is so different than other characters that I have read recently, although her issues with her mother remind me of the problems that A. J. Alexander faces when dealing with her theatrical mother. Maggie's roommate Lark is someone that any 'vertically challenged' girl can aspire to be, additionally she is a role model for anyone who is trying to escape aspects of their past while still being honest with those in the present.
Dr. Maggie may be dedicated to her listen
VJ
Reference to Adrian Monk cracked me up. I'm still reading, but I wanted to remember that. More later.

It took me awhile to get through this one. I liked the characters and I liked the series premise. I rated it four stars because of some of the clever jokes, puns, and pop culture references made me laugh. If not for those, it would have gotten a 3 star rating.

The series has promise and I will read anything set in FL at least once. The mystery was simple with few red herrings. The main characters
Sigo
Well...
I just could not get myself dragged into that book. I'm not saying someone else wouldn't like it but it didn't sweep me off my feet.
Sheryl
MORE LIKE 3-1/2 STARS

I found this book entertaining, although in my opinion, not quite as good as some other similar-style mysteries I've read recently. It is a quick read and I'm not sorry I read it. The series definitely has potential and at some point I may give the next book in the series a try. However, I can't give it as enthusiastic a recommendation as I can other books in this amateur sleuth genre (for example, Victoria Laurie's Abby Cooper series or Rhonda Pollero's Finley Anderson Tann
Meg Fee
There were many things I liked in this story and some things I didn't like. Overall this is a good story, I did however find the main character's friendship with the journalist who just happens to have new info every time she needs more guidence too conveniant. And everyone tells her everything, sure sometimes it's not right away, but they still tell her things easily. I think the author planned this out too carefully...
Katherine P
This book was a pretty quick read and the supporting characters were likable. The actual mystery was fairly well done with the conclusion not being to obvious until towards the end. However, I didn't like Maggie at all. She was hard to buy as a psychologist and was just kind of flat overall. Also, didn't find the love interest with the detective believable at all. Not a bad book but won't read the next one.
Turtles
It wasn't a bad book at all. The mystery was there and you had several likely suspects. There was nothing bad in the plot or editing. It was just an ok book, nothing stood out for me. I thought it was a little bit of a let down that other people in the book had the line or action which would have made the heroine more interesting. I'll read book 2, since I have it from the library, maybe things will peak up.
Courtney
I liked it. I had a little more for this book, I was hoping for something like what Peggy Webb writes when it comes to how the relationships are described..... especially relationship between Maggie and the Detective. I am hoping the second book in the series will better define this relationship. However, this could have been more of just an introduction style type book.
Babs
Oct 11, 2010 Babs rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes cozy
Shelves: mysteries
This was not a bad book, but a bit slow for me. The characters are good and I will try the next book as well. Maggie does seem lucky to be in the right place at the right time. She gets the job done and the author does a good job for us to figure out who really did it to almost the last chapter. I will give this series a try.
Susan
I tried really hard to read this book but I just could not do it. The characters in this book are flat and the story, what I read of it, is very dull. I am sorry that I can’t find anything positive about the book but it was just too painful to read.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This is obviously a first book in a series. The death has occurred but the search is a bit weak yet. I do like the character of the main sleuth so will keep reading. I have a feeling that the story will tighten up soon.
Susan
I really enjoyed this book! I really didn't know who did it until the end. Great storyline, enjoyable charcters, Love her mother. It was also a quick read so glad I read it.
Eli
Snooze. ZZZZZZZZZ. It took me forever to finish this b/c I decided I'd rather do things like stare blankly at the ceiling than read this book. Thank goodness I'm done!
Melodie
An okay book for the first in series. Must say I liked Maggie's mother, Lola, much more than I liked her. She was full of life and Maggie just seemed a bit flat.
Erin
If I already was sick of the cozy genre before, this one certainly clinched that. Total cliche, nothing redeeming. Glad I can swap it on pbs!
Jane(Janelba)
I enjoyed this book but it didn't wow me. I felt it was rather slow and drawn out but am willing to try the second book in the series !
Courtney Sheets
DNF. I could not finish this book. It was slow and plodding and the main character is annoying.
Kumi
I like Lola. She doesn't seem a typical mom appears in cozy books. So loveable character.
nurmawati
3 bintang aja...lumayam membosankan..padahal gw suka cerita misteri...
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • The Square Root of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #1)
  • A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • A Deadly Row (A Mystery By The Numbers, #1)
  • Pretty Poison (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #1)
  • Fundraising the Dead (Museum, #1)
  • Corpse Pose (Mantra for Murder Mystery #1)
  • Tressed to Kill
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
Mary Kennedy is a national best-selling novelist and a licensed psychologist on the east coast. She has written 37 young adult novels and has a new adult mystery series with Penguin, The Talk Radio Mysteries.The first title, DEATH IS BAD KARMA was released in January 2010, and the second release, REEL MURDER, is available now. She has spoken at over 100 schools, libraries and writers' conferences ...more
More about Mary Kennedy...

A Talk Radio Mystery (3 books)
  • Reel Murder (A Talk Radio Mystery #2)
  • Stay Tuned for Murder (A Talk Radio Mystery #3)
Nightmares Can Be Murder (Dream Club, #1) Reel Murder (A Talk Radio Mystery #2) Stay Tuned for Murder (A Talk Radio Mystery #3) Confessions of an Almost-Movie Star Tales of a Hollywood Gossip Queen