Start by marking “The Anchor Book of New Irish Writing” as Want to Read:
The Anchor Book of New Irish Writing

The Anchor Book of New Irish Writing

3.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  13 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
An Anchor Paperback Original

An intelligent, sophisticated cross-section of Irish short fiction, ideal for casual readers and classrooms alike, that showcases where Irish writers are now, as well as where they are headed.

The contemporary Irish short story, perhaps even more than the novel, provides vital critical clues and guideposts for anyone interested in twentieth-centu
Published February 15th 2000 by Anchor (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Anchor Book of New Irish Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anchor Book of New Irish Writing

Candace
Jun 15, 2009 Candace rated it really liked it
This is a really wonderful sampler of contemporary Irish writing. Some stories and writers I enjoyed more than others, as expected, but it was really great to carry this book around for a month, and just open to a random story and read.

I'd have liked to know what year each of the stories was written or published, as I've read other works by several of the authors, and I like to see the progression of their style.

Favorite story? I predicted it would be Joseph O'Connor's "The Long Way Home" (He's
Erin Quinney
Jan 24, 2011 Erin Quinney rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this one. Some of the stories were really good and a couple were really bad. Most fell somewhere in between. I wouldn't base your decision to read it on my review. I have never compeltely understood the art of the shorty story. I can usually tell when it's a good one. However, if I don't like it, I'm always afraid I just missed something.

The story of the German Parachutist, which I liked, kind of sums up my expectations of a short story. Unfortunately, I think the au
Matt
Jan 18, 2010 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I had to leave for Ireland so couldn't bring a bunch of books, but I got halfway through it and loved it! It seemed every other story was noteworthy. I want to say it was Elizabeth Bowen who writes the first story, it reminded me of Virginia Woolf. Irish fiction is like a good B-sides album by a band you're fond of but not crazy about, you think, why would I go to this when I could listen to English literature? My ability to construct coherent analogies has gotten away from me a bit what with al ...more
Paul Long
Jan 20, 2014 Paul Long rated it really liked it
A number of excellent stories, a few bad ones, and a couple of really bizarro tales. That last category includes the last story, The Dream of a Beast, written by the filmaker, Neil Jordan. I'm still trying to figure out what that one is about.
Marissa Hopkins
Marissa Hopkins marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Mahala Church
Mahala Church rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Erin
Erin added it
Jan 23, 2016
Jeannemariehebert
Jeannemariehebert rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Peter McCambridge
Peter McCambridge marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
phaedosia
phaedosia marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Amy Veith
Amy Veith marked it as to-read
May 28, 2013
Lara
Lara added it
Apr 04, 2013
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2012
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2012
Frank
Frank rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2012
Drew
Drew rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2011
Norman
Norman added it
Apr 18, 2011
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2011
Lori
Lori rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2010
Elissa
Elissa rated it liked it
May 06, 2010
Padraic
Padraic marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2009