The Lost Explorer: Finding Mallory On Mount Everest

The Lost Explorer: Finding Mallory On Mount Everest

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  33 reviews
This is the adventure story of the year -- how Conrad Anker found the body of George Mallory on Mount Everest, casting an entirely new light on the mystery of the explorer who may have conquered Everest seventy-five years ago.
On June 8, 1924, George Leigh Mallory and Andrew "Sandy" Irvine were last seen climbing toward the summit of Mount Everest. Clouds soon closed arou...more
Published December 22nd 1999 by Simon & Schuster (first published November 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Explorer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Explorer

Blue Jello Elf
The story of the discovery of Mallory's body was interesting, but by the time I was halfway through the book I was ready to push Conrad Anker off the mountain, and David Roberts with him. They needed an editor who was willing to delete all of Anker's musings on his own awesomeness, as well as Roberts's worshipful agreement.
Audra
Jun 23, 2008 Audra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys stories of real heroes
This is one of the best books I've read since Edmund Hillary's. One writer is a historian; the other a mountain climber on the expedition that found George Mallory's body in 1999. The mountain climber, Conrad Anker, is contemplative and humble, and he climbs mountains because he loves them. He pieces together what might have happened in 1924 in chapters alternating with a recounting of Mallory's several expeditions. A most excellent book that left me humbled and happy despite the fact that it co...more
Ed
Pretty good book. Wanted a little more information after reading Into the Silence. Conrad Anker is good writer and one of the finest climbers in the world. Still I am not sure of his conclusions. I think we often forget the in the past people found amazing ways to use the equipment they had on hand. Still a very good book.
Liz Nutting
Why go climb a mountain?
Because it's there.

That zen koan-like exchange has for decades resonated as a profound statement on the nature of humanity's desire for exploration and discovery. The response was uttered by George Leigh Mallory, one of Britain's great adventurers and mountaineers, who three times attempted to be the first to summit Mt. Everest, almost 30 years before Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay finally reached the top of the world.

On his third attempt in 1924, Mallory and his...more
Somantika
I am completely blown away by the achievements of this great mountaineer. This is an account of extreme bravery, fortitude, and mettle that most ordinary people cannot even fathom. I am mystified by what drives some humans to such levels of obsession for a prize that is so abstract. Was it really just "Because, it's there" or was there a fierce ambition and arrogance beneath the calm and genteel exterior of Mallory or was it sheer passion?

It was fascinating to read this as the writing of the pe...more
Kate
A pretty interesting book about the expedition that found the remains of George Mallory, a man who vanished along with Sandy Irvine in 1924 attempting the first summit of Everest. It was a good accompaniment to the slightly creepy NOVA special I rented about the expedition.

It's worth reading from a scientific, mystery, and historical point of view, but I found the climbers' actions to be somewhat disturbing in light of the sensational pictures of the body that were published in the news press at...more
Mina MacLeod
I'm an armchair mountaineering enthusiast--I could ever actually climb because of my asthma. While I have as many misgivings about the commercialization of Everest as the next concerned individual, George Mallory's story has always fascinated me. He was a man with unbridled charisma and determination.

Did he truly reach the summit? The romantic in me wants to think yes, but realistically the odds were against him. Hearing how he was found first-hand was haunting. The book was rather short, with f...more
Charles Miske
I thought it was interesting how Anker and Roberts flipped back and forth in the book, between the events in the past and the events in the "present day" as they told the story of finding the body of Mallory, the ultimate Lost Explorer.

I've met Conrad at ice climbing festivals and speaking events, and he's a pretty mellow down-to-earth guy. I appreciated his simple no-nonsense approach to this discovery. I really enjoyed the passages in his voice, from his perspective.

I read this as my "bathtub...more
Baldurian
Half biography, half journal of an Everest expedition, The Lost Explorer tells about George Mallory last climb on Earth's highest mountain in 1924 and the following discovery of his body in 1999.
This book isn't thrilling as Into Thin Air, but if you are interested in mountaineering tragedies you shouldn't miss it.
Eric Foll
A decent, but short, account from the man who actually found George Mallory on Everest. Diminished somewhat by all the books that came after it to tell the same story. Had I read this back in the late 90s, almost assured this would've been five stars.
Kim
I was drawn to this book after reading the superior "Ghosts of Everest," which covers basically the same story of the search for George Mallory on Everest. This slight book is authored by Conrad Anker, the esteemed climber who actually found the long-lost explorer's body. While his report has a gripping, you-are-there feel to it, supplemented with historical accounts by co-author David Roberts, it can't quite compare with the excellent photography and writing of "Ghosts of Everest."
Christy
This was written by one of the members of the team that discovered George Mallory's body up on Everest (I heard one of his teammates speak at an "inspirational" Welcome Back Mtg. in January - What is Your Everest?) Really interesting and covers a lot of information. A little tangential and of course no exact resolution but a lot of good evidence on whether or not Mallory and Irvine summited Everest in 1924.
Linda Robinson
"On June 8, 1924, George Leigh Mallory and Andrew Irvine disappeared somewhere near the summit of Mount Everest, leaving open the tantalizing question of whether they had reached the summit of Everest twenty-nine years before Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay."

This is as action/adventure as I want to ever get. I read it in 2002, and I'm still cold. Bundle up, and start climbing!
Joel
the best parts of the book are Anker's observations when he finds Mallory's body and his conclusions about why he doesn't think Mallory and Irvine could have reached the summit. There's also some good details from the historical accounts of the 1920s expeditions. The rest of the book is a bunch of fawning over how great Anker is, which is annoying
Janet C.
Feb 28, 2012 Janet C. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody.
Recommended to Janet C. by: n/a
I had to listen to this book once I started it because I had to find out what happened. The information about mountain climbing in general and some of the differences between how things were done in the 1920's versus modern times was fascinating. An excellent read for anyone. The true story is better than fiction!
Jeff
I enjoyed this book alot. The fact that it is written by two authors actually works pretty well. One author gives a first hand perspective on Everest and the other gives more of a third person narrative of possible events. I recommend this book for anyone who enjoys mountaineering or survival stories.
Coleman Ross
A year or so ago, I read a much more in-depth book on George Mallory. This book is shorter and also pulls in a bit of what it's like to climb Everest today and whether or not Mallory made it to the summit. I recommend it for my friends who enjoy such stories.
Liz
I love high mountains, exploring, adventure travel. The question of Mallory reaching the summit of Everest will remain unanswered. The real story is that he dared to try in a time before all the technology that exists for mountaineers today.
Julie
The saga of my obsession with George Mallory and the British expeditions of the 20s continues.....this was really good, switching between historical discussion of the 1924 expedition and first-hand account of a modern expedition.
Dave
This is a great story from a very incredible local Bozeman climber. I got a chance to belay him a few times in the gym and it was pretty fun.

Just casual chat, I'm sure he would never remember me, but oh well.
Pancha
Includes history on the 1924 Everest expedition and a first hand account of the 1999 discovery of Mallory's body. Lots of mountaineering insight and educated speculation as to what happened to Mallory and Irvine.
Alonso
The most important question is still alive. Did Mallory reach the peak of Mt. Everest? I hope, one day, there will be a book titled "Finding Mallory's Camera on Mt. Everest". It will answer the question.
Raúl
Conrad Anker, escalador de 1ª categoría, vá alternando su expedición, con la histórica de Irving & Mallory.
Me sentí allá arriba, junto a ellos, en la falda del Everest.
Liz
Conrad is a local author, but of some reknown. He is well read in our area, especially amounst the outdoors group. Terry and I heard him speak once in Groveland.
Ellen
An interesting book that shed some light on the disappearance of George Mallory during his 1924 expedition to Mt. Everest.
Debra Keithly
Interesting read on the mystery of Mallory (the discovery of his body) and that fateful day on Everest. Does feel a bit dated.
Joel
The account of the search and discovery of one of Everest's first missing climbers. Good solid adventure reading.
Barbara

Good recounting of Mallory and Irvine mixed with Anker's own summitt and his discovery of Mallorys body
Jeanette
Fascinating...
There is also a documentary that is Conrad Anker's story; it was great after reading the book.
Motorcycle
Pretty sure this was the Mallory bio I read. Don't remember much about it. Wasn't that memorable.
  • Forever on the Mountain: The Truth Behind One of Mountaineering's Most Controversial and Mysterious Disasters
  • The Last Man on the Mountain: The Death of an American Adventurer on K2
  • Dark Summit: The True Story of Everest's Most Controversial Season
  • The Ledge: An Adventure Story of Friendship and Survival on Mount Rainier
  • No Way Down: Life and Death on K2
  • Touching My Father's Soul: A Sherpa's Journey to the Top of Everest
  • Buried in the Sky: The Extraordinary Story of the Sherpa Climbers on K2's Deadliest Day
  • K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain
  • Dark Shadows Falling
  • The Crystal Horizon: Everest-The First Solo Ascent
  • On the Ridge Between Life and Death: A Climbing Life Reexamined
  • K2, The Savage Mountain: The Classic True Story of Disaster and Survival on the World's Second Highest Mountain
  • High Crimes: the Fate of Everest in an Age of Greed
The Call of Everest: The History, Science, and Future of the World's Tallest Peak The Lost Explorer: Finding Mallory on Mt Everest Vermist op de Mount Everest Call of Everest, The: The History, Science, and Future of the World's Tallest Peak Annapurna

“Periodista:
-¿Por qué vá a subir al Everest?
Mallory: