Blank-133x176
Doctor Who Wetworld

Mark Michalowski

Doctor Who Wetworld (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #18)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  689 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Freema Agyeman reads this thrilling story about a waterlogged planet, struggling colonists and dangerous creatures.

When the TARDIS makes a disastrous landing in the swamps of the planet Sunday, the Doctor has no choice but to abandon Martha and try to find help. But the tranquility of Sunday's swamps is deceptive, and even the TARDIS can't protect Martha forever. The human...more
Published (first published September 6th 2007)

Jon Huff
Well my Doctor Who reading binge continues! After reading Sick Building I was just about to be done with them for a while as I didn't care for that one at all (sorry Paul Magrs wherever you might be!) but I decided to give this one a go as the others at the local Borders didn't appeal to me that much.

I kept passing this up because I was judging a book by it's cover. Every time I looked at the water-logged TARDIS, I just couldn't get excited. Plus I felt the back blurb was perhaps a BIT too gene...more
Rebecca Honeycutt
Oh Doctor Who novels. You're so fluffy and addictive. I am going to finish the Tenth Doctor adventures, and then I'm going to stop. Do you hear me, internets? I'M GOING TO STOP. Please intervene if you catch me moving on to Eleven.
Alesia
The Beeb would never fund the budget for this adventure!
Zelda of Unapologetic Reviews
I listened to the audiobook version of this story. This is the first one that I listened to, and was ready by Martha, that is, Freema Agyeman. I thought her reading style and her voice were very good. She did the parts of the Doctor well, and in character.

The story takes place on an alien planet. It's ironically called "Sunday". The Doctor once said that on Sunday nothing happens, but here many things did. The story wasn't all that fabulous to me. While it was interesting, and not boring at all,...more
Zelda of Unapologetic Reviews

Melyssa
J'ai aimé l'intro de ce livre. Mais son principal souci est qu'on a un peu l'impression qu'elle dure jusqu'à la page 170. Sur 240, ça fait quand même une longue intro.

Mais bon, après Sick Building, c'est rafraîchissant tout plein de lire un NSA sympa. Le thème de l'écologie semble être terriblement à la mode depuis quelques tomes, à croire que Justin Richards le considère comme Le Message A Faire Passer A La Jeunesse et l'impose à tous ses auteurs, mais comme il est juste évoqué en passant cett...more
Angela
The Doctor and Martha land on a planet that has recently been flooded. A new human colony is struggling to survive and there's something bad in the water. This would have made a good tv episode, its very visual. I particularly liked the intelligent otters. A good read.
Leela42
New Series Adventure (NSA) with the tenth Doctor and Martha. The plot is interesting and rolls right along. This is firmly a 'Doctor Who' story, not just a generic sci-fi, horror, or mystery premise with the Doctor added in. The author clearly has a long-time acquaintance with Doctor Who and seasons the book with little things that add depth for old fans without making new ones wonder if they're missing something. Unfortunately the author's weakness is characterisation: The Doctor and Martha don...more
Nicholas Whyte

A fairly standard Ten / Martha adventure set in a near-future world where a small human colony is dealing with unseen monsters and cute little otter-like creatures. Interesting because Martha is knocked out for a chunk of the narrative, allowing the companion role to be distributed among several other characters. It's getting increasingly odd to read books with David Tennant's manic cheeky chappie at the same time as watching Matt Smith's alien young fog...more
Demelza
This was more of a 2.5, but it's hard to give less than a 3 to anything Doctor Who. The reason for the lower rating is that I don't feel the author completely captured Martha. She came off as a bit too b*tchy for my tastes, and while Martha is smart and gives the Doctor what for, she's a nice character.
I also would have liked to see Ty Benson developed more, because she seemed to be an important character, yet we didn't get to know her that well. It wouldn't be nice to see her and Martha try to...more
Azar
Mar 20, 2008 Azar rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Martha fans!
Much better than the other Ten & Martha adventure I read, mainly because this author actually wrote *Martha*, instead of Rose's personality with Martha's name. It also doesn't hurt that Mark Michalowski is obviously very familiar with the series, both old and new school--there were several very nice nods to the original series, including one in particular that made me laugh out loud--waterlogged psychic paper tells the Doctor's new friends that he is "Madame Romana, fortune-teller to the sta...more
Writerlibrarian
This one is the best of the Martha books I've read so far along with Sting of the Zygons. Martha sounds like herself not some cut/paste/replace Rose. I liked the setting, colony world. I liked the secondary characters that weren't paper dolls this time. The writer succeeded in making care about Candy, Ty and Orlo and you can forget the cute factor in a good Doctor Who story. This time the real heroes of the story are the otters. Really. Smart, clever and sooo cute. So kudos to this one. Hope the...more
vex
I will admit at least two of those four stars are because it's the tenth doctor and he's one of my favorites (though the eleventh is pretty awesome in his own way.)

However, this is a very Doctor Who story, with a very Doctor Who point of view. And otters. Otters are awesome.

Seriously though, the story flows well and despite the fact that you can sort of see through it about a third of the way in, it's still fun.

Did I mention I love The Doctor?
Beth
It was nice to revisit Martha and the Doctor. I'm afraid I didn't really give her a fair shake during the show since I was so miffed that she wasn't Rose, but she was such a great character the second time around. This story features her nicely.

As a reader Freema does a lovely job capturing David Tennant's energy and speech patterns which makes for easier listening to an already well established character. As a reader she gets three stars.
Michelle Potter
This was definitely one of the best Doctor Who books I have read in a while. The story gripped my attention right from the very beginning, and kept me interested all the way through. Best of all, however, every page was full of the Doctor's witty quips and beaming, confident personality. This kind of good stuff is the reason we all watch the Doctor in the first place, and it absolutely poured out of Wetworld. (Ha! Pun intended!)
Siskoid Siskoid
Mark Michalowski's Wetworld - I really liked it. I remember liking his Past Doctor Adventure Relative Dementia too and telling him so on Outpost Gallifrey. Wetworld has everything Sick Building doesn't. Charming guest characters, pitch-perfect renditions of both the Doctor and Martha, and a story that seems more adult (in style, not content) than the majority of the line. Its use of science is interesting and the monster pretty terrifying.
Callie Rose Tyler
Angry otters and a girl named Candy Cane, that’s what this story boils down to. This story wasn’t bad but it wasn’t that good either. Kind of simple and a little too ridiculous, with a sometimes boring plot. Not DW at its best even the Doctor didn’t seem to be at peak performance in this one. I few fun bits with the psychic paper. Overall this story was a perfect representation of Martha Jones, nice but nothing memorable.
Shelley
Solid plot, really. Not one of the best, but certainly not the worst. It was just...average. Not a lot of Doctor/Martha interactions, and Martha didn't have as much of a take charge attitude as I'd like to see. Plus it began with him screwing up when trying to take her to breakfast at Tiffany's, and while she apparently wore dress and heels for at least some of the story, it never got revisited at the end. And that's annoying. *g*
Amber Baker
Decent story. I enjoyed the talking otters quite a bit.
Heather
May 22, 2008 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Doctor Who fans
Shelves: read-2008
Anyone who knows me knows I'm a Who freak. Being in the US makes the books hard to come by, though. This was one of the few books I could get through B&N or Amazon without a three-week wait for delivery! It was a very enjoyable read - clever storyline with interesting original characters. If you're a fan of the series, this book is worth a read. It'll stay on my shelf for the next time I want a light and quick read.
Kiri
This may be my favorite Doctor Who novel so far; it captures the 10th Doctor at his mercurial and alien best. The dialogue is superb and in-character for both the Doctor and Martha. The danger develops in an appropriately mysterious and sinister manner, and the secondary characters are all well done. The Doctor bonds with them in an appropriately Doctor-like manner.
Susanne
*Loved* the otters! Would have been 4 stars if Martha hadn't been shuttled off-screen so often in favor of an original character. But that's a pet peeve of mine. If I'm reading a tie-in book, I want the characters from the show. If I wanted original characters to star, I'd write my own fanfic. :)
Daniel Kukwa
It's a ridiculously fun adventure...and it ends with intelligent otters! How can you pass that up? Another way of looking at it is that THIS is the swampy-type adventure that 1978's "The Power of Kroll" can only WISH it was...and Tom Baker would have adored the concept of the otters!
Ager
A very fun book to read! It continues with the expected structure of a Doctor Who book, with some horror elements that are very creepy, such as tentacled monsters with mind control, and the absolute impossibility of using the TARDIS and for a while, the sonic screwdriver.
Stephen Osborne
I enjoyed the book...good story, lots of action, the characters came alive, and so on...but I had to detract a star because, as another reviewer pointed out, there's an over-use of the phrase "pulled a face." A funny face? A disgusted face? What? It was WAY over used.
Abigail Partis
Nov 11, 2012 Abigail Partis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every Doctor who fan
Recommended to Abigail by: My friend Laura
I am a MASSIVE fan of Doctor Who and so I have many Doctor Who books!
This was a really good read, I was up all night reading it as I couldn't put it down (causing me to nearly fall asleep the next day in Maths Class.)
Darlene
A very Tenth Doctor - if you love Tennant, then you can here him in your head as you read along. Also Martha is pretty spot on. Took about a day to read...must read slower if I'm going to make it to the Christmas Special
Caro
Perfect Doctor Who adventure, BBC should really consider making this an extra episode (even though Tennant isn't the Doctor anymore).
you guys should also try the audio book with Freema Agyeman's interpretation
Damon
Good story with interesting characters. Was quite a bit on the whimsical side of the Doctor themes but did take a couple shocking turns. Mark Michalowski has a good grasp of the Tenth Doctor's character.
  • Doctor Who: Wooden Heart
  • Doctor Who: Sick Building
  • Doctor Who: Forever Autumn
  • Doctor Who: Snowglobe 7
  • Doctor Who: Peacemaker
  • Doctor Who: Sting of the Zygons
  • Doctor Who: Wishing Well
  • Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop
  • Doctor Who: Martha in the Mirror (Doctor Who)
  • Doctor Who: The Many Hands
  • Doctor Who: The Last Dodo
  • Doctor Who: The Eyeless
  • Doctor Who: The Krillitane Storm
  • Doctor Who: Judgement of the Judoon
  • Doctor Who: The Taking of Chelsea 426
  • The Doctor Trap (Doctor Who (Doctor Who)
  • Doctor Who: The Story of Martha
  • Doctor Who: Autonomy
Mark Michalowski (born 1963 in Chesterfield) is the editor of Shout!, "Yorkshire's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender paper", as well as being an author best known for his work writing spin-offs based on the BBC Television series Doctor Who. He currently lives and works in Leeds.
More about Mark Michalowski...
Doctor Who: Shining Darkness Chasers (Being Human, #2) Doctor Who: Halflife Doctor Who: Relative Dementias (Past Doctor Adventures) Iris Wildthyme: The Sound of Fear (Iris Wildthyme 2.1)