Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash

Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash (Domestic Equalizers #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,039 ratings  ·  116 reviews
The strongest, sexiest, and sassiest debut contemporary romance we've seen since Rachel Gibson! The quality of Dixie's writing combined with the pure romance of the story guarantees that Avon Romance has just acquired a new star.

Debbie Sue Overstreet is still the best-looking gal in Saltlick, TX-and her ex-husband Buddy is still the best-looking sheriff. Thanks to a thrivi...more
Published December 12th 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2004)

Tasha
Debbie Sue and Edwina are two best friend that run a beauty shop out in Saltlick, Texas. Sheriff Buddy Overstreet is Debbie Sue's ex-husband whom she's still very much in love with. So when Debbie Sue's best customer, or should I say richest, is found murdered, she and Edwina set out to find the culprit. This putting Buddy right back in the middle of her life.

I really truly enjoyed all of the characters in this book. Every one of them seemed to have their own unique personalities that made it se...more
CaroB
Debbie Sue and her ex-husband Buddy, the town's sheriff, still love each other, even 3 years after the divorce. When one of the local bigwigs is found murdered, Debbie Sue decides to investigate for herself so she can claim the reward money and get herself out of debt... and snag Buddy back along the way.

This is my first book by Ms Cash, and to be honest, I don't know if I'd go back for more.
At first I thought it was because, due to a hectic week, I could only pick up the book in small doses......more
Sally
It's not very often that I abandon a book I've started reading, but this one falls into that category. I expected this to be full of humorous quips typical of Texas accents and lifestyles, but other than the title and maybe one or two other little things, I found it was not to be. Yes, there is a murder in the town which appears at first to be a suicide, but in the first 45 minutes or so that I listened to out of the 10+ hours of narration, the action and thoughts of the characters center around...more
Ubalstecha
This has got to have one of the best titles in fiction history, but it is not really related to the story, unless the murder victim in this romance/mystery is the trash, but I don't think the authors are that clever.

This is the story of Debbie Sue, a hairstylist in Salt Lick, Texas (great town name!) whose life has taken a turn for the worst. Her marriage has failed, she in debt upto her eyeballs and her best customer has turned up dead as a result of an apparent suicide.

Debbie Sue knows that g...more
This book is sweet and an honest love story about a couple who get it wrong then get it right. Plus it's quite funny. The friendship between the heroine and her best friend is a hoot.
Petula Darling
Cons: dropped plot lines, offensive portrayal of homosexuals, the mystery itself

Pros: the title
Kathleen Hagen
Since You’re Leaving Anyway, Take out the Trash, by Dixie Cash, b, narrated by Peggity Price, produced by Lone Star Books, a division of Recorded Books, and downloaded from audible.com.

This is the debut book in the series, and where we first meet Debbie Sue and Edwina, beauty shop owners, and operators of the Domestic Equalizers private eye business. Edwina Perkins and Debbie Sue Overstreet have opened a beauty shop together but they’re barely making enough to pay the bills. Buddy and Debbie Sue...more
Karissa
This was a surprisingly good read. I've read something else by Dixie Cash, but remember not caring for it very much. Once I really started reading this I really got into it and couldn't stop. I enjoyed all of the country aspects, all the country music references. It reminds me of all the books I wished I could have written. Yes it got a little ridiculous at times, but what the hey. It was a nice light read.
The book starts off with the murder of the wealthiest woman in town, Pearl Ann. Debbie Su...more
MJ
Mar 20, 2008 MJ rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MJ by: ultimate reading guide
Debbie Sue Overstreet has problems. Her truck payment is late, her ex-husband Bubby, who she still loves, is the local sheriff and one of her best clients at the beauty salon was just murdered. But when the victims husband puts up a $50,000 reward for finding the killer Debbie Sue decided she is going to find the killer and collect the reward. Along with her friend Edwina (Ed) she starts snooping. She recorded all the crime shows that week and decideds how hard can it be. But Buddy keeps showing...more
Sha'ron Hayes
The Characterization of the characters in the story "Since you're leaving anyway, Take out the Trash" , Debbie Sue waas considered a Failure. "She was twenty-eight years old and had been a failure at everything she tried. Marrying, Mothering, Rodeoing, and now, Beauty shopping."
James Russell is Beautiful. "James Russell Overstreet, Jr., the most beautiful man in Texas."
C.J. is always late. " Did y'all here, did y'all hear? We're ahead of you C.J. We already know about Pearl Ann."
Pearl Ann is ob...more
Kim
I just finished this book and boy was it good. It encompassed everything that I look for in a book. It had mystery, romance, humor, and drama.

Debbie Sue Overstreet is the stereotypical west Texas girl, born and raised in a small town called Salt Lick. She once was married to what she still finds the sexiest man in texas, and happens to be the Sherriff of this small town. Debbie Sue owns a small hair salon and therefore is the center of the gossip line there.

When a muder happens to someone they...more
Veena
I book marked this one based on a friend's booklist - who would'nt want to read a book with a title like that? That being said, be warned that the title has nothing to do with the story. This is also supposed to be a book in the 'domestic equalizers' series - not quite sure what that means.

Anyway, the book by Dixie Cash (actually an author duo) is filled with more than its fair share of red blooded Texan women who know their minds and are not afraid to speak it. While I don't really know what I...more
EeeJay
I've had this book on the TBR pile for over 3 years and just got to reading it and now I know why - it's funny yet its story line reminded me of the Stephanie Plum(by Janet Evanovich) series which I liked far better. Admittedly after having read "Heaven, Texas" by Susan E. Phillips, I was more prepared for the Texan environment, I just didn't get into the story and even when there were clearly hilarious one-liners - I just wanted to skip ahead and finish the book (could have been the 3 years pla...more
Gizzard
Another humorous mystery where the heroine does things that are so dumb, you have to shake your head. Who goes into a veterinarian's office and opens a closed exam room door. They mystery is secondary to the silly relationships.
Dyah Subagyo
I skimmed it. And skipped like a schoolgirl with a skipping rope. I am not proud of myself. But the book is heavier on the romance and only lightly touching the crime. I like the Southern atmosphere and all the romances, though. 2.5 stars.
Wrenà
This was the first time I have read anything by Dixie Cash - recommended by a friend - and let me just say .... I can't wait to read more!!! This book was so fun to read & I absolutely LOVED the main characters. The secondary characters only made the story better :) I bought the second book for my kindle before I even finished the first!! I can't wait to see what happens next - with this group of folks I'm guessing it could be anything!! haha! I would recommend this book (this series) to any...more
Marti
I found this new book by Dixie Cash humorous. The main character, Debbie Sue was quirky as were her friends. Each had their own story and drama. I did laugh more than once and appreciated the interesting messes Debbie Sue managed to get herself. While she is not Stephanie Plum, they must be related in some way!! I actually laughed out loud at the difficulties with dating Debbie Sue. She is more dangerous on a date that Stephanie Plum is with cars - and that is saying a lot. Do not read this book...more
Anne Hawn Smith
This was the first book by this author I have listened to. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the Deep South novels because they remind me of Mississippi, so I am more attuned to the characters a
than the plot, but this one was pretty good. Usually books in which you know the perp early on aren't very good, but this one was entertaining. The two detectives from a small town in Texas also are beauticians. They get involved in tracking down the murderer because Debbie Sue is up to her eyebrows in debt...more
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
I don't know what it is about Texas. I just don't generally like books set in Texas. Maybe I don't get the mentality. And therein lies my problem with this book. Debbie Sue Overstreet owns a beauty salon in a one horse town in West Texas. Her ex-husband Buddy is the town sheriff. Life has been limping along just fine until the richest (and loosest married) woman in town turns up murdered. The rest of the book is filled with the couple and their new love interests trying to find out where they fi...more
Sarra
A cute and quirky romance featuring Debbie Sue Overstreet a former rodeo queen turned beauty shop owner in the tiny town of Salt Lick, somewhere in West Texas.

Debbie Sue is trying to earn the $50,000 reward offered for finding the murderer of one of the nastiest women in town. This leads her to working closely with her ex-husband (and still love of her life) sheriff Buddy Overstreet.

There's not really much more to say about the plot, as this book is brain candy, not very deep or thought provoki...more
Nicole
Utterly ridiculous...and not in the fun way. Awful.
Kelli
A fun story. I will give her other books a read too!
NTE
I really wanted this to be funnier. Witty titles should have follow through in the text, and - while this book had some cute moments - it just wasn't laugh out loud funny. Disappointing, but only because I was looking for hysterical and didn't find it. Texans with attitudes, strong female characters & relationships, murder and misunderstandings, and one guy who was TSTL that hung around a little bit too long in my opinion. Not horrible, but not compelling enough to make me track down the res...more
Susan Mabus
Sep 30, 2010 Susan Mabus rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: who likes mystery books
Recommended to Susan by: no one
Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash
I thought the book was a funny and entertaining book. It was a story
that kept you entertained. Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash
Mickey Reed
Nov 29, 2010 Mickey Reed rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Down south romance/mystery fans.
Shelves: 2010, audio
When all was said and done it ended just the way you'd want it to. It was a tad convoluted and went on in strange ways, but that kept you guessing for the most part. The bull riding and such was a bit much for my taste, but Edwina and Debbie Sue really get into crazy situations. Some of their sayings were hysterical, and the dinner scenes with Quint were just nuts. Made me laugh and I was happy with the ending. Good enough. I have the rest of the series so I may continue.
Sandie
These were really cute books, I think its a series of 5 now. The writing is funny, and paced well enough though a bit slow at times. The main characters are really cool women that you would love to know! This first book was like I said a bit slow for me but not so much that I didn't keep reading on to the next book or that I would never re-read it. Its a very light-hearted, fun book. In fact all the books in this series that I have read so far are that way.
Tracy
Feb 15, 2011 Tracy rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance readers
Shelves: abandoned
Wow, it didn't take long for me to hit the "never mind" button on this one. I can handle a little romance with my murder mystery. What I have NO interest in is a novel that is a Romance (yep, capital R) with formulaic misunderstanding and foolish pride that pretends to be a murder mystery.

If you're a Romance reader, knock yourself out. I have no idea if the mystery was a good one or not. Mystery readers, even those with a love for cozies or "light" plots, be aware.
Leslie
What can I say-this book was cute and funny!! There were several places on that I literally laughed out loud. The book was reminiscent of a Stephanie Plum novel: light mystery, set in a small town, and quirky characters. There is an octogenarian in the book who I aspire to be like, if I am even lucky to get close to that age!

All in all, this was book that was very enjoyable. Highly recommended!
Loreta
The first in the series of the Domestic Equalizers. The equalizers: Beauticians Debbie Sue Overstreet and Edwina Perkins-Martin decide they should look into a murder and the wild ride begins. Big drawls, big hair and big hearts get these middle aged women in a lot of big trouble but that's not stopping them....
Dixie Cash's books always make laugh out loud. What more could anyone ask?
  • Suck Your Stomach In and Put Some Color On!: What Southern Mamas Tell Their Daughters that the Rest of Y'all Should Know Too
  • Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch
  • Irish Eyes (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #8)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • You Dropped a Blonde on Me (Ex Trophy Wives #1)
  • Dancing Shoes and Honky-Tonk Blues
  • Some Girls Do (Sisters Trilogy #1)
  • Somebody Is Going to Die If Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch That Bouquet: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Hosting the Perfect Wedding
  • Hating Valentine's Day
  • Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments
  • Fatal Fixer-Upper (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #1)
  • In One Year and Out the Other: A New Year's Story Collection
  • Confessions of a Slacker Wife
  • Smart Vs. Pretty
  • She Flew the Coop: A Novel Concerning Life, Death, Sex and Recipes in Limoges, Louisiana
  • Breaking the Rules
  • The Potluck Club (The Potluck Club #1)
  • The Ex-Debutante
Dixie Cash is Pamela Cumbie and her sister Jeffery McClanahan. They grew up in West Texas during the great oil boom, an era filled with "real-life fictional" characters who cry to be written about. Pam has always had a zany sense of humor, and Jeffery has always had a dry wit. Surrounded by cowboys and steeped in country-western music, when they can stop laughing long enough, they work together cr...more
More about Dixie Cash...
My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great (Domestic Equalizers Book 2) Don't Make Me Choose Between You and My Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 4) I Gave You My Heart, but You Sold It Online (Domestic Equalizers Book 3) Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 5) Our Red Hot Romance Is Leaving Me Blue (Domestic Equalizers)