Start by marking “The Black Shore (Star Trek Voyager, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Black Shore (Star Trek Voyager, #13)

The Black Shore (Star Trek: Voyager #13)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  8 reviews
After weeks of lonely journeys through a desolate region fo the Delta Quadrant, the crew of "Voyager" is badly in need of
shore leave, so the planet Ryolanov seems just what the doctor ordered. Full of warm sunlight and gracious, hospitable people,
Ryolanov is a veritable oasis amidst the endless reaches of uncharted space.
Alerted by his spirit guide, Chakotay is the firs
Mass Market Paperback, 278 pages
Published May 1st 1997 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Black Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Shore

Joshua Palmatier
In terms of a Star Trek book, this was very enjoyable. In fact, it read quite like an episode of the show (which I'm currently rewatching).

The premise is that Voyager is traveling through a part of space with few inhabited planets or people. So when they get an automated signal inviting them to come enjoy the lush paradise of a nearby planet, they head there looking for some much needed shore leave. The race inhabiting the planet is warm, friendly, and the crew is living it up on the blissful bl
John Carter McKnight
I picked this up thinking it was a new entry in the recent arc of Voyager novels, but it's not. It harks back to the terrible days of Star Trek novels around 2000, when they were the worst sort of formulaic pulp.

Cox writes well, that's not the problem at all. But the plot is transparent from the beginning, save for a couple increasingly nonsensical revelations. The story is a shameless mashup of the pilots of two famous SF TV series, with a great big handful of overused SF/F tropes thrown in, f
Jimyanni
"Captain, these people seem really nice, they're attractive, civilized, and friendly. Given that there is no sign of other conflict, they must be villains planning to dupe us and take over the ship!" No, Tuvok didn't actually say these words, but he should have. To the reader, at least, if not to the characters, it was that transparent.

Still, the story moved reasonably well, the characters were handled competently, and the action, once it actually started, was intense and riveting. So I can't p
Chris Johnson
It was a decent little Voyager tale. I started Marooned the same night I finished this though, and in just 30 pages it was more interesting and action packed than all 278 pages of this book. Meh, is about the best review I can give it.
Hannah
Still have this one. I treasured it as a Geekling, largely due to my devotion to the Kim/Kes pairing. I was a rabid shipper, a few years before we could afford the internet, and LONG before I knew how to use it for geekery. My copy is slightly marred as a result. The handful of scenes with Neelix and Kes on the beach have been edited with green gel pen to read "Kim and Kes"
Angela
Voyager use a planet for shore leave and things are too good to be true. Chakotay isn't in this much, so don't let the cover fool you. It's a bit predictable, but there are some highlights. The Doctor dealing with the aliens is definitely one of them. A good read.
Mikael Kuoppala
Some rather obvious plot devices can't ruin a book that has some important points to make and stays close to the characters.
Karin
Kevin Shaw
Kevin Shaw is currently reading it
Dec 02, 2014
Rafel Ortiz
Rafel Ortiz marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Nathan
Nathan added it
Nov 08, 2014
Jeanette Barott
Jeanette Barott marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Akmadzelan
Akmadzelan marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Riley Barnitz
Riley Barnitz marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Victoria Mitchell
Victoria Mitchell marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
  • The Garden (Star Trek Voyager, #11)
  • Chrysalis (Star Trek Voyager, #12)
  • Bless the Beasts (Star Trek Voyager, #10)
  • Marooned (Star Trek: Voyager, #14)
  • Cybersong (Star Trek Voyager, #8)
  • Violations (Star Trek: Voyager #4)
  • The Escape (Star Trek Voyager, #2)
  • Battle Lines (Star Trek Voyager, #18)
  • Ragnarok (Star Trek Voyager, #3)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Star Trek: Voyager, #7)
  • The Nanotech War (Star Trek Voyager #39)
  • Incident at Arbuk (Star Trek: Voyager, #5)
  • Death of a Neutron Star
  • Mosaic (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, Book 4)
  • Flashback (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Caretaker (Star Trek Voyager, #1)
  • Her Klingon Soul: Day of Honor #3
Underworld (Underworld, #1) Q-Space (Star Trek: The Next Generation #47; The Q Continuum, #1) The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #1) The Dark Knight Rises: The Official Novelization Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)