The Thief of Time: Philosophical Essays on Procrastination

The Thief of Time: Philosophical Essays on Procrastination

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  6 reviews
When we fail to achieve our goals, procrastination is often the culprit. But how exactly is procrastination to be understood? It has been described as imprudent, irrational, inconsistent, and even immoral, but there has been no sustained philosophical debate concerning the topic.
This edited volume starts in on the task of integrating the problem of procrastination into ph...more
Published April 14th 2010 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Thief of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thief of Time

Emma
Jan 26, 2011 Emma marked it as to-read
it's hilarious that 69 people have marked this book 'to read' and not one has yet read and reviewed it.
Damon Young
Procrastination is not simply “putting something off”. Nor is it just failing to do something: to write a masterpiece or knock out a Karate opponent. Lack of talent or bad luck is enough to frustrate these endeavours. And procrastination can’t simply be weakness of will, as this requires an unrealised judgement or intention, and sometimes we procrastinate by never really judging or intending at all. After a cringe-worthy party, we say we’re going to tell our friend her lover’s a pretentious whin...more
Sam
This collection of essays, while dense material, tackles some exceptionally fascinating material. Exactly what is procrastination? You might think that the answer to that question is simple, but it won't take more than a couple of essays for you to see that it's anything but.
MM
Some interesting approaches to thinking about procrastination -- it's a collecton of essays from economics, psychology, philosophy/logic. Fun to think about something that's so pervasive, unavoidable, sometimes even central, in this way.
Mary
Much too technical, with lots of jargon. I had read an excellent review in the New Yorker last winter, which contained everything useful to me. Sorry I can't recall the date.

I read only a few pages.
Jean-Philippe Ung
Jean-Philippe Ung marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Mabe Fratti
Mabe Fratti marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Dheta Wahjudi
Dheta Wahjudi marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Suchetha
Suchetha marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Piotr Kalinowski
Piotr Kalinowski marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Anu
Anu marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Jeremy Russell
Jeremy Russell marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Jessica La La La La La!
Jessica La La La La La! marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Daniel Staud
Daniel Staud marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Olga
Olga marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Jyri Engeström
Jyri Engeström marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Kody
Kody marked it as to-read
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Mar Garcia sabate
Mar Garcia sabate marked it as to-read
Abdulwahab
Abdulwahab marked it as to-read
Juan Herrera
Juan Herrera marked it as to-read
Chloe Rust
Chloe Rust marked it as to-read
John
John marked it as to-read
Nicolas Valentino
Nicolas Valentino marked it as to-read
ayohbie
ayohbie marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »