Start by marking “That's Alright, Elvis: The Untold Story of Elvis's First Guitarist and Manager, Scotty Moore” as Want to Read:

When Elvis first showed up at the Sun Records studio, Scotty Moore and bass player Bill Black were asked to work with him. With Elvis and Bill both dead, Scotty is the only one left to tell the story of how the trio changed popular music.
Published February 1st 2005 by Schirmer Trade Books (first published July 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about That's Alright, Elvis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That's Alright, Elvis

Susie
Jan 07, 2011 Susie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Scotty Moore is one of the most important guitar players in rock and roll history. I've only recently become a pretty huge fan. This book was a great behind the scenes look at a legend. Not only is Scotty one of the greatest guitar players of our time, he's also a really nice guy. The book is honest and eye-opening, and definitely worth reading if you have any interest in rock and roll history or in Elvis' early years.
Pete daPixie
Jul 17, 2012 Pete daPixie rated it liked it
Shelves: poptastic, autobiogs
Published in 1997, updated in 2005, 'That's Alright, Elvis' takes us back to the epicentre of popular music in Memphis when Elvis and the Blue Moon Boys struck gold in Sam Phillips' Sun studio.
The man who really delivered rock n roll to the world was not Presley or Phillips but Moore. Scotty Moore was Elvis' manager, lead guitar and band leader when the sound hit back in 1954. His autobiography has a span of over seventy years, and the man is still twanging that Gibson today!
The first half of th
Linda
Aug 29, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok
This story contains much more about Scotty Moore than Elvis. Overall, I had a hard time sticking with it because I didn't have much interest in Moore. The book does contain some interesting information about Elvis when he was still an unknown, and I found that portion of the book to be interesting.
Brijesh Kartha
Apr 25, 2013 Brijesh Kartha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
It was a nice look into a musician who was an inspiration for a lot of people but lived within the shadow of an larger than life star.

The book gives a fair feel for Scotty's life and the early days are well explained. However as the title suggests the spectre of Elvis shines all over the book and, at least for me, it takes away from knowing Scotty and his music better.

Having said that I am glad I bought the book, for one does get a lot of detail of Scotty and a sense of the man behind the music
Lars Hulshof
Apr 17, 2013 Lars Hulshof rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wie de biografie van Scotty Moore wil lezen heeft ongetwijfeld al een goede basis over Elvis. Dit boek is een mooie aanvulling op wat er algemeen over Elvis bekend is, aan de hand van persoonlijke ervaringen van iemand de hem in de vroege jaren van zeer dichtbij heeft meegemaakt. Eerlijk over alle ups en downs maar zeker niet zuur. Wie alleen de Elvis periode wil lezen kan de laatste hoofdstukken overslaan.
Mooi tijdsbeeld ook van het leven van muzikant begin jaren vijftig in Memphis.
Bret Quinn
Jul 29, 2016 Bret Quinn rated it it was amazing
I'm a historian of that era of music, so this was a must-read for me. Thankfully, Moore goes into detail relating the days and weeks leading up to that magical July 4 night at Sun Studios in Memphis when Scotty, Elvis, and Bill Black stumbled onto a magical version of "That's All Right, Mama" between takes. His accounts of the interactions between Bill Black, Sam Phillips, Elvis, and himself are indispensable for students of the rockabilly genre.
Frances
Jul 05, 2014 Frances rated it really liked it
I thought I knew everything about Elvis and was wrong. This book was a fast read and very interesting.
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
May 14, 2009
Karen Keavey
Karen Keavey rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Fulton Allen
Fulton Allen rated it liked it
May 19, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2010
The Reading
The Reading rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2014
William Houston
William Houston rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Steve Jay
Steve Jay rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2013
Tom Winkle
Tom Winkle rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Tom Ranken
Tom Ranken rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015
B.J. Neblett
B.J. Neblett rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2013
Tony Ferguson
Tony Ferguson rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2013
Brian Cornish
Brian Cornish rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2014
Joseph Corbett
Joseph Corbett rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2013
Craig Machen
Craig Machen rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2011
Ruth
Ruth rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Joe Hilley
Dec 04, 2010 Joe Hilley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's nothing like the inside story.
Reggie
Reggie rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2012
Amy Wroble-madary
Amy Wroble-madary rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2012
Pamela Claytor
Pamela Claytor rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2012
Cheryl Jewhurst
Cheryl Jewhurst rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Rochelle Barozzi
Rochelle Barozzi rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Julie Kelly
Julie Kelly rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2012