Start by marking “The Fannie Farmer Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Fannie Farmer Cookbook

The Fannie Farmer Cookbook

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  9,105 ratings  ·  106 reviews
Here is the great basic American cookbook—with more than 1,990 recipes, plain and fancy—that belongs in every household.

Originally published in 1896 as The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book by Fannie Merritt Farmer, it became the coobook that taught generations of Americans how to cook. Completely updating it for the first time since 1979, Marion Cunningham made Fannie Farme
Published July 1st 1994 by Bantam (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fannie Farmer Cookbook

Randi
I love this cookbook! It is my very favorite! All the recipes are simple and if you like good old fashioned homemade food that is easy to make and doesn't cost a lot, this is for you. This book will teach you how to cook. The ingredients are basic and there are many recipes for simple inexpensive dishes. A must for people on a budget who want to learn to cook from scratch.

The date is set for today but I have had this book for 5 years and I still use it all the time.
Jennie
Aug 30, 2007 Jennie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love butter
Shelves: cookbooks, my-library
This is my #1 standby cookbook. I refer to it for almost everything, for various ways to prepare literally any vegetable I can think of, to baking cakes, cobblers and many old-fashioned delights that I have never heard of. It is comprehensive enough that I cross-reference all recipes against it. My great-grandmother used this book, and she was an amazing cook, so I trust it for pretty much all basic recipes. I must note, if you are vegetarian-leaning, it is worth it to pick up the latest edition ...more
Ashley Ward
If someone threw me on a deserted island (with an odd abundance of simple, non-tropical or exotic foods) and told me I could only keep one cookbook from my entire collection, I'd go with this one, hands-down.
This book is a treasure. It's simple, it's recipes are mostly old-timely classics retouched a bit. This isn't a book you'd give to an up and coming, innovative chef bent on taking over the culinary world. But this is one that you'd buy for your sister-in-law as a housewarming gift because th
Gopi
Marion Cunningham writes cookbooks the way I would: informative, but dull; all head and no heart.

The recipes are reliable and simple, but uninspiring and unspectacular.

I'd say skip this one, and get How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. For some historical perspective and to see why Fannie Farmer herself was so important to cookbook authors everywhere, you should also have a look at 1896 Boston Cooking-School Cookbook.
B.A.
Fanny is a good staple, especially for someone rather new to the kitchen (not too new, you have to at least know the basics as there are no pictures and few drawings). If you only owned one cookbook, this would be a decent choice as it contains all the major categories. However, if you love food and you love to cook, you will outgrow Fanny.
Drawback: My edition doesn't have any nutritional information, which dates any cookbook.
Katherine
Jan 01, 2008 Katherine rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who can find an old version
Recommended to Katherine by: my mom and grandparents
I read my mom's 1960 (?) copy of Fannie Farmer over Xmas break from front to back - as if it were a novel. All the really neat parts of that edition are missing from the newer editions. Bummer. I would have liked to see a trend of old fashioned coffee made with eggshells and yolk; or cookies made with chicken fat.

Crystal
This is really a hands-down best "go to" guide for cooking really anything you can think of. It gives the basics as well as more complex recipes. I find myself reaching for this again and again.

It would make a wonderful gift for a newly married couple or any person starting out in the kitchen.
Lynn
Jun 14, 2012 Lynn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a great all purpose cookbook with wonderful recipes. Although I have many, many cookbooks, Fanny Farmer, the Joy of Cooking and The Best Skillet Recipes, a gift from a dear friend, are the three that I use 95% of the time and contain the vast majority of my family's favorite recipes.
Robert
I have always been a fan of the Fannie Farmer cookbook. This is my go-to basic cookbook for whenever I need to read up on how to do something or at what temperature something should cook at.

I find this easy to follow and enjoy the approach taken in describing dishes.
Cathy
This is a good cookbook for vegan baking (believe it or not!) There are many recipes for things that use only one egg (which is easy to substitute) and some which call for no dairy at all. Good for pie crust, cobbler and other traditional baked goods.
Katherine
Although the copy I have is older, printed in the early '80s, this is pretty much the gold standard of basic cookbooks. I always refer back to it for things, and this is the first time I really sat down and read it all the way through.
Theresa
This is the ultimate cookbook. Everyone should have this as a staple in their kitchen. If you are ever in question on how to go about cooking something, you have a pretty good chance of finding the answer in the Fannie Farmer Cookbook.
Reevesjenny
Haven't been reading much, but have been baking some treats from this great book my mother in law gave me years ago! I recommend the any fruit crisp! We had one last night with strawberries and apples. Yum
Misty
My fiance's paternal grandmother gave me this little treasure! I have some of my family's recipes that I love, but this book is now my go to for everything that isn't in my own collection.
Anna
This is the best basic cookbook in America, hands down. It is filled with all the classic dishes you could ever imagine, as well as some great old forgotten recipes.
Margie
I use this even more often than The Joy of Cooking for reference.
Lauren
Dec 22, 2013 Lauren rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginner cooks; parents
I grew up with my mother's 1970's split, falling apart, taped in separated pages copy gracing our kitchen and always begged her to get another book. Then one day, this hardcover reissued anniversary edition came under my tree and I have learned why my mother kept her tattered, broken copy as something sacred.

Despite having been given so many different instructional guides, Fannie Farmer has been my go-to guide for many years. Not only do I look up techniques I do not know or cannot remember, I
Holly
Sep 15, 2014 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who eats food
Recommended to Holly by: My childhood memories
Shelves: cookbooks
So after a while I figured out that the illusive Boston Cooking School Cookbook of my mother's shelf is also the famed Fannie Farmer cookbook and I could be super efficient in my cookbookery. I found an awesome copy from 1943 in a used bookstore and it came with handwritten recipe cards for disgusting 60's food tucked in between the pages. Altogether awesome.

Everyone should have a Fannie Farmer Cookbook because it tells you how to cook pretty much anything. Roasting a chicken? There is a table f
jacky
I have a different edition - the eleventh. My mother insisted that I take a copy of this since it is the same one she has and she has given a copy to my brother and sister. I very rarely use cookbooks, but I figured it couldn't hurt to take it.

I have used it exactly once so far. To look up how long to bake a sweet potato for Natalie. I still needed to call my mother though to ask if wrapping it in foil would change the cook time.

I will say that I was impressed that it had directions for cookin
Matriarchy
My paternal grandparents gave me an inscribed copy of this when I was a teen, and it was one of the building blocks of my cooking knowledge. Actually, my grandfather's wife (a step-grandmother I disliked) was more of a Julia Child fan and did most of their cooking. But my grandfather bought this book, and said his mother had the original Boston version. Too bad that didn't get handed down. My copy was lost - stolen, really. A neighbor asked to borrow it to look for fudge recipes, and then claime ...more
Tricia
Excellent for beginners as well as experienced cooks. Descriptions of spices, utensils, measurements, etc. Original edition used by my grandmother who attended Fannie Farmer Cooking School in Boston, subsequent editions well used by my mother and myself for years of classic, dependable recipes.
Constance Merritt
It was very instructive reading this cookbook straight through, albeit slowly. At first I was inhibited from trying recipes by the fact that it was a Braille book on loan from a library, but by the time I made it to bread and cookies right around the holidays I couldn't resist. Right now, the most valuable tip I learned was doubling cookie sheets to allow even heating and prevent the bottoms from cooking too fast. Recipes I've tried and loved are turkey burgers, orange-cranberry bread, crusty Fr ...more
Dottie
While I learned a lot from Julia Child and company, Fannie Farmer was my right hand kitchen Bible and I’ve passed that along to both my girls who also have “cookbook-itis” to some extent. The younger daughter at age seven lounged at table or in armchair with this book trolling for dishes for her birthday dinner and put together a menu which has been her standard pick forever since – chicken divan as entrée, angel food cake with peach melba served alongside as the finishing touch. Skip the frosti ...more
Grace
She tested each recipe on home equipment (in her own kitchen). This attention to detail is, sadly, not the norm for cookbooks. I thought the book was straighforward, but a former housemate was confused by some of the terminology. For instance, he didn't know a clove of garlic was not the entire head of garlic. For people with no prior knowledge, perhaps Learning to Cook with Marion Cunningham would be a better starting point.
Charlotte Crow
I have been cooking with Fannie Farmer for 50 years. Some great recipes
Belladonna
I love cookbooks. I had checked out the junior cookbook before and I loved the old-timey feel. This book definitely did not disappoint. I went through this book looking at all the recipes that made feel like I was on a farm. I'm not kidding. It was like I could make chicken fried steak, translucent gravy, apple pie for my husband Jed after he got done milking the cows and feeding the pigs and chickens. This book also gives you little guides for some of the ingredients. It's just a really fine bo ...more
Dianne
This was one of the first cookbooks my husband gave me. It's the paperback one from the 1980s with the binding duct taped to hold it together! The other day, I was looking for a waffle recipe and found an easy one to use. It's one of those cookbooks that suggests and offers tons of recipes for cooks of all ages. What are the different cuts of meat, etc. I love it!
just sarah
This is my go-to cookbook for all the basics -- and I mean all the basics. From sauces to cookies to pie crusts to measurement conversions, I use this gem almost daily. Even as a vegetarian I've found the recipes easy to adapt & utilize in my highly unorthodox kitchen. If you're looking for a high quality general kitchen reference, this book is for you.
Meredith
a staple cookbook--how to cook just about anything. but don't pay too much attention to the so-called ethnic recipes in this book--the author thinks that adding clichéd ethnic spices to a basically american recipe makes it ethnic. turn to this one for the basics, like at what temperature or for how long you should cook meat and fish or corn on the cob.
Gail
Very good for the resource shelf. If the Fanny Farmer does not address something, then cooks probably should not be doing it!
  • New York Times Cookbook
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
  • Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook, Facsimile Edition
  • The Way to Cook
  • The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
  • Frugal Gourmet
  • Beard on Bread
  • America's Best Lost Recipes
  • The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook
  • The Taste of Country Cooking
  • How to Cook Without a Book: Recipes and Techniques Every Cook Should Know by Heart
  • Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...
  • The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook
  • The Essential New York Times Cookbook: Classic Recipes for a New Century
  • Top Secret Restaurant Recipes: Creating Kitchen Clones from America's Favorite Restaurant Chains
  • The Art of Mexican Cooking
  • The Gourmet Cookbook: More than 1000 recipes
Marion Cunningham was born in Southern California in 1922, and now lives in Walnut Creek. She was responsible for the revision of The Fannie Farmer Cookbook and is the author of The Breakfast Book, and Cooking with Children. She travels frequently throughout the country giving cooking demonstrations (some with James Beard), has contributed articles to "Bon Appetit," "Food & Wine," and "Gour ...more
More about Marion Cunningham...
The Breakfast Book Fannie Farmer Baking Book Lost Recipes: Meals to Share with Friends and Family Learning to Cook with Marion Cunningham The Supper Book