Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind: Perfect Collection Boxed Set

Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind: Perfect Collection Boxed Set (Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind (Perfect) #1-4)

4.7 of 5 stars 4.70  ·  rating details  ·  368 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Hayao Miyazaki was a budding filmmaker in 1982 when he agreed to collaborate on a project with the popular Japanese anime magazine Animage. This was Nausicaa, which would make Miyazaki's reputation as much as his 11 films and TV shows. Set in the far future, Nausicaa visualizes an Earth radically changed by ecological disaster. Strange human kingdoms survive at the edge of...more
Boxed Set, 1063 pages
Published January 1st 2001 by Viz Media

pearl
Some works defy description and this is one of them. Nausicaa is Miyazaki's magnum opus, written over twelve years, the forerunner of all his themes and motifs, and maybe because it one of his earlier works, it reads with remarkable freshness.

So many things left me speechless here--the vastness of the world, the three-dimensionality of the characters, the ecological wonders, the fear, violence, introspection, and philosophical questionings. True, also, to Miyazaki's style, there are no easy blac...more
James Maxon
As one of my all time favorite animes, I figured it was about time I read the manga version. Instead of reviewing all seven volumes individually, I decided to treat this series as a whole.

Story overview:
A gifted young woman named Nausicaä (Na u shi ka) lives in the distant future. The world has long since survived an apocalyptic massacre called the “Seven Days of Fire.” What’s left of modern civilization and technology consists mostly of a few aircrafts, dug up from deep within the earth.

The cre...more
Tearese
These books are awesome.
I loved the movie "Warriors of the Wind" when it came out in the eighties, and even more so the more complete version, "Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind" that came out about 20 or so years later. I was realizing that this world is what first interested me in dystopias, and this is exactly what I've been looking to read the last year or so, with its complex world, characters, and history.
I got this set for Christmas over a year ago, and while I loved to occasionally ta...more
Daniel Paul
Miyazaki's epic series of graphic novels is terrific science fiction and fantasy storytelling. Set a thousand years after an apocalyptic event destroys civilization, Nausicaa is the story of a young princess of a small kingdom who gets caught up in a war between two great nations. Meanwhile, all of humanity is threatened by the encroaching Sea of Corruption, a toxic jungle filled with giant mutant insects. Over the course of the story, Princess Nausicaa is faced with choices that may save or doo...more
Vanda
Nov 18, 2008 Vanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Vanda by: Tsukuji
Shelves: children
in the time where the visual's interpretation limit the boundary of imagination absorbing from the experience of reading...Miyazaki made it the other way around...he simply showed that visual arts are vehicles to move the boundary of imagination to an even greater dimension...unlimited!

i love all of the creations and adaptations of Hayao Miyazaki, he is a genius...i collected all of the anime by studio Ghibli(now owned by Disney) because of Miyazaki sensei.

in the case of Hayao Miyazaki's creatio...more
Erich
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is Miyazaki's masterpiece manga, a collection of comics, but it can accurately be called a graphic novel, more so than perhaps any other epic comic work.

First of all it is important to note that this story has been told in animé form in the film "Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind," released in the early eighties and available in the US. It's certainly a wonderful film, and what led me to the manga originally. The film follows similar lines to the written work...more
Matus
A creative masterpiece. I think the subtext should be "the meaning of life". The story and characters are beautiful, and their common crescendo is laced with the deep, potent messages of the book. Some people have diluted the messages of this book down to cheesy pantheistic cliches, but I think that is an utter distortion; I advise them to recall the end of the book, and many of the revelations there. I would prefer not to give spoilers, but one example is the segment about, roughly "a seed ark...more
Becca
I really enjoy Miyazaki's film work like Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and My Neighbor Totoro, so when I heard he wrote a graphic novel (i.e. comic book for those worried how that sounds...) I wanted to read it. I wasn't disappointed at all. He wrote an epic story that inspired. The only hard part was that it was originally in Japanese, and they couldn't re-do where all the speech bubbles and frames are. It's in English, but you have to read it back to front, right to left. But once I got...more
Ayla
This book falls nothing short of perfect. Miyazaki is an incredible author/artist. The book covers so much more of the story than the movie did, and there is such a strong message in this book. The art is impeccable, and so detailed and the plotline makes it impossible to put down. I highly recommend to all studio Ghibli fans, anime-fans, and those who are environmentally conscious.
Brian Berns
A must-read for fans of Miyazaki's movies. He started this dazzling epic at the beginning of his movie career and finished it 12 years later, when he was a master of modern animation.

It's easy to quibble with some aspects of this story - too much complexity without enough structure, characters mixed and matched beyond comprehensibility, drawings that are impossible to decipher (for this middle-aged Westerner, anyway), a story that echoes the same themes until they become cliches, to name a few p...more
Caution: a few spoilers ahead.
Such a great series! Miyazaki's heroine Nausicaa is amazing. It's set in a world that has been polluted by mankind. Humans live in fear of "the miasma", which as they inhale, kills them. Giant bugs roam forests of mold and miasma...Nausicaa lives in the Valley of the Wind, known for its Windriders. The novels follow her as she heads off to war. She is sidetracked by her connection to the Ohmu, giant beetle-like creatures that speak to her, and begin to tell her the...more
Keith
Feb 12, 2008 Keith rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody
If you've only watched the movie you're missing out on a whole lot of wonderful Miyazaki story action. The movie covers the first quarter of the manga, roughly, with some bits from later on thrown in.

If you haven't seen the movie... far far in the future, giant insects, forests of mold engulfing a polluted planet, a savior arises to lead humanity away from extinction... fairly typical Miyazaki stuff: the strength of humanity, particularly the young; the beauty and fragility, but also strength of...more
Oliver Bateman
A masterpiece, and quite possibly the best sci-fi/fantasy work that I've read in my entire life (only Wolfe's first three books in the New Sun series, book two of the LotR trilogy, l'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, and Lewis' the Last Battle come anywhere near it). I've put off reading this work in its entirety for nearly a decade, but I'm so very glad that I waited so long to polish it off: the ending is unlike any that I've encountered before, and the final product is somehow superior to any one of...more
L
Never thought too brightly about the world until after I read this. Although it's a graphic novel, don't be fooled by the childish themes. There's a darker side to this post-apocalyptic world. The heroine of the story is compassionate, maybe too compassionate, but she knows what she has to do. She is kind, but she will fight. Hypocritical? Yes, but so is everything else. This book taught me that the world can be changed by one person, and hope arrives even in a world where there sheds no light.
Charles
An awesome realisation of a future where the ecology is vastly different and humanity has adapted. But the more things change they more they stay the same. Nausicaa is one of the things that is not the same and challenged by the things that are.
It's got excellent characters and a detailed world and they both burst out from the pages of the book into your head.
Well recommended and very much more than the animated movie that was made a while ago.
Anna
A worthy masterpiece. The movie comes nowhere close, doesn't even finish the first volume. Fascinating world with complex politics (reminiscent of medieval Russia) and very complex characters, and makes a number of statements on several subjects *subtly and fitting cleanly into the story*. I actually got weepy a couple of times in the later volumes!
Angela
Aug 19, 2008 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Angela by: Laura and Sam
This series is a beautiful work of visual art, a piece of brilliant story-telling, and a profound statement of the human condition, specifically, what a terrible impact we can have on the world and how we can come to terms with that and go on existing while coping with the reality.
Ian
There are those who say that 'The Watchmen' is the best graphic novel written. I'm not trying to pick a fight. Just trying to expand the definition...
I didn't cry at the end of Watchmen.
Clare
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is a sweeping, post-apocalyptic epic about political squabbles dwarfed by an environmental threat in a world of grey—even the sweet and self-sacrificing heroine has a dark side. An interesting read.
Nnedi
Aug 16, 2008 Nnedi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Excellent storytelling, art, narrative, strong political views, nature, serious mystical happenings. This book has it all. It's Miyazaki at his finest, in my opinion. I've finally gotten a hold of all three volumes and I am very very pleased.
Schuyler
I've read this a few times and it is always great. Probably my favorite comic ever. I just recently watched the movie over again which reminded me of how great this is. I'm a big dork, did I forget to mention that?
Hilary McLean
An amazing book that defines what is great in graphic novels. The story is very intense yet poignantly beautiful and important on many levels. It was my honour to read Mr. Miyazaki's book.
Miki
Andre
A superb comic about a loving girl caught in a dying world at war. A superb comic, beautifully drawn with amazing characters.
Amy
I love all of Miyazaki's work. I have enjoyed his other stories as movies. This one I read in the book form.
Celeste
fantastic! the story was wonderful, the art amazing...nausicaa's depth of compassion was incredible!
Camille
I watched the movie first, then read the manga. Although the movie is good, the manga is much better.
Janelle-Simone
This story changed my life. Perfect combination of visual genius and engaging plots.
Petr
Absolute classic. Timeless. Age or anything from techie department is irrevelent here.
Andy
Sep 11, 2008 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Fantastic. The movie version only hints at how wonderful the whole thing is.
  • Akira, Vol. 6 (Akira, #6)
  • Kabuki, Vol. 5: Metamorphosis
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 5
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 05: Angel Of Redemption (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Flight, Vol. 6 (Flight, #6)
  • A Bride's Story 04
  • Tank Girl
  • 聖☆おにいさん 1 [Seinto Oniisan 1]
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 4
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 03
  • The Secrets Come Out (Aya, #3)
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
宮崎 駿

Hayao Miyazaki was born in Tokyo on January 5, 1941. He started his career in 1963 as an animator at the studio Toei Douga, and was subsequently involved in many early classics of Japanese animation. From the beginning, he commanded attention with his incredible ability to draw, and the seemingly-endless stream of movie ideas he proposed.

In 1971, he moved to A Pro with Isao Takahata, then to N...more
More about Hayao Miyazaki...
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #1) Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 1 Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 2 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #2) Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 3 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #3) Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 5 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #5)