On the Odd Hours

On the Odd Hours (The Louvre Collection #2)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The highly successful series of graphic novels co-published with the Louvre museum in Paris (“Glacial Period”, “Museum Vaults”) continues with its next outstanding graphic novel. This time, the author invites us on a guided tour of the museum… by night… when the works of art come alive. Our guide: a deaf night watchman who somehow manages to communicate with the souls of t...more
Published April 1st 2010 by NBM Publishing (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about On the Odd Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Odd Hours

Barbara
Like some of the other books in this Louvre-sponsored series, this book begins and ends rather abruptly, as if there's more to the story than is told in this one-off book. Again, the art is very competent, but would look better in a larger format (I am assuming the original French publication was "album" size).
What is really interesting to me about this book is the way it represents sign language in speech balloons. The panels capture one or of the relevant hand gestures, but the full text is in...more
April
I actually didn't like this. It's pretty and the plot has potential, but it just abruptly ends and I felt like the characters and their motivations weren't well developed. I did like the authentic feel of references to the deaf community's culture and their experience amongst the hearing, but other than that I really felt like it lacked something.
John
As someone interested in the relationship between museums and sound, this book has been incredibly thought-provoking. This story of a rebellious young deaf musician who unwittingly becomes a phantasmagoric night-shift museum guard at the Louvre explores themes of alienation, madness, mysticism, musicality, the relationship between sound and museum objects, and the effects of time on the museum experience. The artwork is superb, and the storytelling is rapid without being overwhelming. A follow-u...more
Jeff
This third installment in the series of graphic novels co-produced between ComicsLit and the Musée du Louvre lives up to the enigmatic standards already established in this series, and succeeds more artfully in telling a compelling story. Eric Liberge's deaf protagonist is the most fully-developed character then we have seen in this series so far, and the notion of using a deaf character to interact with the artworks of the Louvre is a highly effective plot device. In a similar vein to the Glaci...more
Stephen
Well... looks beautiful; has some interesting use of speech balloons. But... the actual panels were too busy and dense for the comic to flow nicely; and the plot made little sense, and I didn't care in the end. Was a bit of a chore to finish it.

One note on the balloons - the main character's deaf, and many people communicate with sign-language, so the tails on the balloons tended to wriggle around, indicating the motion of the characters' hands.
Phredric
Third of the Louvre graphic novels and the one I've enjoyed the most. The lead character was the well developed and the animated museum pieces worked better in this than the previous title.
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Shehzad Arifeen
Shehzad Arifeen marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Polly
Polly added it
May 10, 2014
Aliz Bergeron
Aliz Bergeron marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Härjapealane
Härjapealane marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Troll Bobic
Troll Bobic marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Anne
Anne added it
Feb 07, 2014
Nighteye
Nighteye marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Mary Dickinson jensen
Mary Dickinson jensen is currently reading it
Nov 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
! 1 1 Mar 18, 2010 10:44AM
Bienvenue ! (Monsieur Mardi-Gras Descendres #1) Le vaccin de la résurrection (Monsieur Mardi-Gras Descendres #4) Das Teleskop von Charon (Monsieur Mardi Gras Unter Knochen, #2) Le Pays des Larmes (Monsieur Mardi-Gras Descendres #3) Geheime Eliten (Die Korsaren der Alkibiades, 1)