Start by marking “White House Nannies” as Want to Read:
White House Nannies

White House Nannies

As president of Washington's premier nanny placement agency, White House Nannies, Inc., Barbara Kline has spent the last twenty years handpicking and delivering nannies to elected officials, cabinet members, advisers to the President, and the media who report on their every move. In this hilarious account of her life in child care, Kline discloses the mayhem that ensues w
Published May 4th 2006 by Tarcher (first published May 5th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about White House Nannies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White House Nannies

Sally
We've all seen the television shows and movies that mock the parents requiring full time nannies, idolize and vilify said nannies and/or parents, and give us kids who are angels or devils with no gray area. This book, written by the woman behind the nannies, shows just how true - and false - such stereotyping can be.

While I can't exactly relate to these people in their high-powered jobs with nannies holding the home together, I did enjoy Kline's efforts to humanize these giants of the D.C. area
Apr 02, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, kindle, 2011
This was an interesting look at an insider's view of high society and their child-rearing habits. While the book focuses on Washington, D.C., these same habits can be found anywhere that you can find over-achieving parents and children that need to be cared for.

I found that I was often distracted away from the story by simple typos that should have been caught in the editing process. One or two would have been easy to overlook, but ten to fifteen was kind of outrageous.
Melissa
Sep 25, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
I truly laughed out loud at times and then covered my mouth in horror at other times. I also felt a slight pitiful connection with the nannies having a recent experience in a smaller-scale McMansion with similar stories to tell afterwards.

I appreciated that the author doesn't just run down all the parents. She acknowledges there are bad nannies, as well. She also isn't just full of gossip. She could have had shared every juicy detail about people and ruined their reputations. She spared the pol
Lori
Jan 18, 2016 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2015
Well, the title was a bit misleading in that this isn't the stories of nannies that have worked in the white house, but the story of a D.C. nanny service called White House Nannies. Once I got over the disappointment of not getting a behind-the-scene look at caring for Caroline and John John, hearing instead stories from the nanny placement service for the Internationally and politically powerful in D.C., it was an interesting read. Kline obviously changes the names to protect her clients' ident ...more
Kerry
Nov 02, 2007 Kerry rated it did not like it
The book is a dish on the Beltway nanny world. Sort of like the National Enquirer in book form. I thought t might be amusing if well and sensitively written. But it's mean hearted in some places, and although the author has a college degree, she must have failed geography because she keeps referring to Idaho, Montana and Wyoming as the Midwest. (where is her editor too?) Plus she's very condescending to anything not East Coast. There are some truly jaw dropping incidents in the book, and it's fa ...more
Annemarie
Feb 03, 2008 Annemarie rated it did not like it
I learned that I should stop reading this book if I want to ever be happy again. This book is full of tales of horrible horrible parents, completely career driven and appearing selfish to the nannies and their children they rarely see. I work full time and feel lucky to have a nanny for my baby. Yet I found myself constantly thinking "that's not me, that's not me, that's not me" reading this book. I don't think I want to finish it. It's hard enough to leave my baby everyday, much less have that ...more
Kelly
Apr 05, 2016 Kelly rated it it was ok
I was one of Barbara's nannies. I had a fabulous family, but I know that there were more than the fair share of crazy ones who totally took advantage of the nannies. Let's be honest here, the parents are the ones who pay the fees, so the nanny's needs are usually put a little farther down the list. As far as the book goes, I think she is better in the office than as a writer. Washington, Idaho and Utah are not in the Midwest. I found that the book jumped around a little too much, and it was more ...more
Viktoriya
Jun 25, 2011 Viktoriya rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
This was a quick read. Reminded me a lot about "Nannies Diaries", but told from a different perspective. I found a book a little disorganized, but in a strange way it worked here. I was hoping for a little more "dirt" and "juicy gossip", and after reading "Nannies Diaries" none of the so-called "shocking requests" really shocked me. All in all, a quick entertaining read.
Nyss
Jan 31, 2014 Nyss rated it it was ok
It was interesting at times because you're reading from a business owner's point of view. Most of the time though it was boring. I would've wanted to read more about the experience of nannies ala The Nanny Diary. The writer sometimes was all over the place. She should have concentrated on a few interesting stories instead of trying to tackle so many topics.
Margy
Mar 23, 2011 Margy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining peek into the domestic lives of Washington D.C.'s elite, as told by the nanny guru of our nation's capital. However...as I read through various chapters I had to wonder why so many career/power driven couples even choose to have children if they have no intention of spending ANY time with them. That I found quite disturbing and distressing! But kudos to all the great nannies!
NATUI
Jun 22, 2010 NATUI rated it liked it
This was an easy read, and if you have been around these kinds of families it gives you a good chuckle or two. It didn't feel like a dirty exposé, just a peek into both sides of the childcare coin. Definitely a good book to take on vacation because you can pick up where you left off with no problem.
Josephine
May 11, 2010 Josephine rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I grew up in the Baltimore-Washington area. After graduating from college, I chose to work in Washington, DC. These facts sparked my interest in the book. Having moved over ten years, I found the Washington-centric arrogance sparked nostalgia. That being said, I can’t say the expose-all tabloid-like book really kept me riveted. Frankly, I re-read books rather than finishing it.
Annette
Jun 16, 2015 Annette rated it liked it
Fun, light, good-for-the-beach read. True stories of nanny life in Washington, DC - unfortunately for the children, sometimes a sad reflection of working parent's priorities (not all parents thank goodness). Told with humour and honesty, truly makes me appreciate my family, children, and 9 to 5 job.
Lisa
Jun 02, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
This was a very quick read. I expected a bit more scandal and humor. This book was both interesting and depressing (i.e. you can't have it all!) but made me feel a lot better about not using a nanny (who needs the hassle?!). I'm sure that is not what the writer intended, given that she runs the premier (i.e. extremely expensive) nanny agency in DC.
Michelle
Sep 25, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wanting a break from fiction but dont want anything serious
Got this from Dollar tree. Entertaining look at the real story behind the White house nannies agency in DC. The owner of the agency gives a humorous look at a crazy government that cant seem to function without their overworked nannies.
Cute book and a nice break from my recent chick lit books :)
Tina Alemao
May 29, 2016 Tina Alemao rated it really liked it
What does it say about our society when we trust a stranger with your own flesh and blood creation but distrust a stranger with our luxury vehicle? The book highlights this and other light topics in the nanny circuit!
Krista
Aug 13, 2012 Krista rated it really liked it
i actually really liked this one. my nanny/domestic service reading continues, and this was a nice addition. written by an agency owner, it tries to cover both the parent and nanny side of the industry. it ends up being mostly about what a pain in the ass wealthy people with kids are. truth.
Erin
Mar 21, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
If you've ever been a nanny or babysitter, you should read this book. Hilarious stories that you can relate to that will help you to realize that you weren't the only one who went through this scenario!
Jeannie
This was an enjoyable and quick read. Laughed at a lot of it and felt sad during most of it. I don't believe there is any job greater or more rewarding than being a mom. It is priceless. Sad that so many mothers don't feel the same way. But I do understand.
Tori Pauling
Jun 24, 2016 Tori Pauling rated it did not like it
DNF. I made it through 25% of this book and just couldn't go any further. I have several other books I want to read, and it seemed like a waste to keep reading a book that had no real content. The stories weren't exciting and the author came off as conceited.
Carrie
Jan 17, 2008 Carrie rated it it was ok
I believe this book is semi fiction. It really makes you think about the how hard it is being a mommy and working in DC is. Those people are truly work horses.
Nancy
May 23, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
This was so much for me. Barbara placed me in all of my nanny jobs in the DC area in the 90's. It was also fun to read about places I've been and places I took the kids as a nanny.
Denise
Oct 10, 2007 Denise rated it liked it
An entertaining read about the lives of Nannies and their employers. For those of us who have been Nannies, it is quite insightful!
Keli Wright
Aug 14, 2014 Keli Wright rated it it was amazing
I had so much fun reading this book! I could relate to so many things in it. Nice, quick fun read especially for locals, especially for locals that are also nannies.
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2007...Not actually about nannies in the White House, but rather a nanny-hiring firm. A bit misleading...
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2013
Justyna
Justyna rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2013
Michelle Adams
Michelle Adams rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2012
christine
christine rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2010
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Thanks for the Memories, Mr. President: Wit and Wisdom from the Front Row at the White House
  • Mail Order Bride Collection: A Timeless Romance Anthology
  • Chore Whore: Adventures of a Celebrity Personal Assistant
  • Legally Wedded (Legally in Love, #3)
  • You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again: The True Adventures of a Hollywood Nanny
  • If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans
  • Messenger: The Legacy of Mattie J.T. Stepanek and Heartsongs
  • Love Among the Walnuts
  • Journey Into Mohawk Country
  • The Mariposa Hotel
  • Kindred Spirit: A Biography of L. M. Montgomery, Creator of Anne of Green Gables
  • One to the Wolves: On the Trail of a Killer
  • Your Best Birth: Know All Your Options, Discover the Natural Choices, and Take Back the Birth Experience
  • Under the Mistletoe Collection (A Timeless Romance Anthology Book 14)
  • Generation S.L.U.T.: A Brutal Feel-up Session with Today's Sex-Crazed Adolescent Populace
  • Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So Far
  • The Longest Night: The Bombing of London on May 10, 1941
  • Confessions of the Other Mother: Nonbiological Lesbian Moms Tell All!