White House Nannies

White House Nannies

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  26 reviews

As president of Washington's premier nanny placement agency, White House Nannies, Inc., Barbara Kline has spent the last twenty years handpicking and delivering nannies to elected officials, cabinet members, advisers to the President, and the media who report on their every move. In this hilarious account of her life in child care, Kline discloses the mayhem that ensues w...more
Published May 4th 2006 by Tarcher (first published May 5th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about White House Nannies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White House Nannies

Sally
We've all seen the television shows and movies that mock the parents requiring full time nannies, idolize and vilify said nannies and/or parents, and give us kids who are angels or devils with no gray area. This book, written by the woman behind the nannies, shows just how true - and false - such stereotyping can be.

While I can't exactly relate to these people in their high-powered jobs with nannies holding the home together, I did enjoy Kline's efforts to humanize these giants of the D.C. area...more
This was an interesting look at an insider's view of high society and their child-rearing habits. While the book focuses on Washington, D.C., these same habits can be found anywhere that you can find over-achieving parents and children that need to be cared for.

I found that I was often distracted away from the story by simple typos that should have been caught in the editing process. One or two would have been easy to overlook, but ten to fifteen was kind of outrageous.
Melissa
I truly laughed out loud at times and then covered my mouth in horror at other times. I also felt a slight pitiful connection with the nannies having a recent experience in a smaller-scale McMansion with similar stories to tell afterwards.

I appreciated that the author doesn't just run down all the parents. She acknowledges there are bad nannies, as well. She also isn't just full of gossip. She could have had shared every juicy detail about people and ruined their reputations. She spared the pol...more
Keli Wright
I had so much fun reading this book! I could relate to so many things in it. Nice, quick fun read especially for locals, especially for locals that are also nannies.
Kerry
The book is a dish on the Beltway nanny world. Sort of like the National Enquirer in book form. I thought t might be amusing if well and sensitively written. But it's mean hearted in some places, and although the author has a college degree, she must have failed geography because she keeps referring to Idaho, Montana and Wyoming as the Midwest. (where is her editor too?) Plus she's very condescending to anything not East Coast. There are some truly jaw dropping incidents in the book, and it's fa...more
Annemarie
I learned that I should stop reading this book if I want to ever be happy again. This book is full of tales of horrible horrible parents, completely career driven and appearing selfish to the nannies and their children they rarely see. I work full time and feel lucky to have a nanny for my baby. Yet I found myself constantly thinking "that's not me, that's not me, that's not me" reading this book. I don't think I want to finish it. It's hard enough to leave my baby everyday, much less have that...more
Erin
If you've ever been a nanny or babysitter, you should read this book. Hilarious stories that you can relate to that will help you to realize that you weren't the only one who went through this scenario!
Margy
A very entertaining peek into the domestic lives of Washington D.C.'s elite, as told by the nanny guru of our nation's capital. However...as I read through various chapters I had to wonder why so many career/power driven couples even choose to have children if they have no intention of spending ANY time with them. That I found quite disturbing and distressing! But kudos to all the great nannies!
Josephine
I grew up in the Baltimore-Washington area. After graduating from college, I chose to work in Washington, DC. These facts sparked my interest in the book. Having moved over ten years, I found the Washington-centric arrogance sparked nostalgia. That being said, I can’t say the expose-all tabloid-like book really kept me riveted. Frankly, I re-read books rather than finishing it.
Viktoriya
This was a quick read. Reminded me a lot about "Nannies Diaries", but told from a different perspective. I found a book a little disorganized, but in a strange way it worked here. I was hoping for a little more "dirt" and "juicy gossip", and after reading "Nannies Diaries" none of the so-called "shocking requests" really shocked me. All in all, a quick entertaining read.
Nyss
It was interesting at times because you're reading from a business owner's point of view. Most of the time though it was boring. I would've wanted to read more about the experience of nannies ala The Nanny Diary. The writer sometimes was all over the place. She should have concentrated on a few interesting stories instead of trying to tackle so many topics.
Lisa
This was a very quick read. I expected a bit more scandal and humor. This book was both interesting and depressing (i.e. you can't have it all!) but made me feel a lot better about not using a nanny (who needs the hassle?!). I'm sure that is not what the writer intended, given that she runs the premier (i.e. extremely expensive) nanny agency in DC.
NATUI
This was an easy read, and if you have been around these kinds of families it gives you a good chuckle or two. It didn't feel like a dirty exposé, just a peek into both sides of the childcare coin. Definitely a good book to take on vacation because you can pick up where you left off with no problem.
Michelle
Sep 25, 2008 Michelle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone wanting a break from fiction but dont want anything serious
Got this from Dollar tree. Entertaining look at the real story behind the White house nannies agency in DC. The owner of the agency gives a humorous look at a crazy government that cant seem to function without their overworked nannies.
Cute book and a nice break from my recent chick lit books :)
Krista
i actually really liked this one. my nanny/domestic service reading continues, and this was a nice addition. written by an agency owner, it tries to cover both the parent and nanny side of the industry. it ends up being mostly about what a pain in the ass wealthy people with kids are. truth.
Jeannie
This was an enjoyable and quick read. Laughed at a lot of it and felt sad during most of it. I don't believe there is any job greater or more rewarding than being a mom. It is priceless. Sad that so many mothers don't feel the same way. But I do understand.
Nancy
This was so much for me. Barbara placed me in all of my nanny jobs in the DC area in the 90's. It was also fun to read about places I've been and places I took the kids as a nanny.
Carrie
I believe this book is semi fiction. It really makes you think about the how hard it is being a mommy and working in DC is. Those people are truly work horses.
Denise
An entertaining read about the lives of Nannies and their employers. For those of us who have been Nannies, it is quite insightful!
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2007...Not actually about nannies in the White House, but rather a nanny-hiring firm. A bit misleading...
Donna
Funny book full of lots of great little stories about the joys and horrors of hiring a nanny.
Stacy
Entertaining, easy read about a world that I don't understand at all.
Renee
Didn't realize I lived in a city so full of crazies. Oh, wait. Yes, I did.
Kinds what you'd expect.
Jennifer Church
interesting read,
Emily
Apr 12, 2008 Emily marked it as to-read
@ both.
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Melody Gaidrich
Melody Gaidrich marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014