Start by marking “Spider-Man: American Son” as Want to Read:
Spider-Man: American Son

Spider-Man: American Son (The Amazing Spider-Man #25)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  1,202 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Published March 17th 2010 by Marvel (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Spider-Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider-Man

Nicolo Yu
I have a feeling this story won’t age particularly well. This was set during the Dark Reign, a time where Spider-Man’s prime arch-foe Norman Osborn, also known as the Green Goblin, inexplicably became the top law enforcer of the United States as fallout from the Secret Invasion. This was also Spider-Man in his Brand New Day reboot, which restored his secret identity and a controversial annulment from his wife.

This story would be difficult to follow if you are not updated with current Marvel Comi
StoryTellerShannon
Harry is being manipulated by his father to become the next Captain America while Spider-Man tries to stop the madness.

A solid three star, especially if you include the artwork. Almost a four star but not quite.

MY GRADE: B
Arturo
May 14, 2014 Arturo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My girlfriend is Mexican like myself, with a darker tan, extremely beautiful, and had dyed her hair blond for a couple months. We discover we were going to be parents. And her name is Lilly. As the months go by and her stomach starts getting bigger, I pick up this book. You can imagine what a coincidence I thought this was. Also when she gets mad, she can become quite a beast.
Iv finally gotten around to finishing this book and said fetus inside her womb is now my 3 year old son, and he is not a
Vanessa
Jul 16, 2011 Vanessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I'm not particularly a follower of Spiderman-nothing against the series, just not my thing. I read this because I've been enamored with Joe Kelly since reading his graphic novel I Kill Giants (which was a limited series he did for Image and is therefore fairly different from the stuff he writes for DC and Marvel to pay the bills.)

This is a decent story arc about Spiderman and the continuing conflicts in the Osborn family between Norman (also known as The Green Goblin, of course) and his son Harr
Mike
Feb 10, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First things first: the rotating artists got kinda old after awhile. They were all good-to-great, don't get me wrong. But Starting off with the sublime Phil Jimenez only makes it harder on any other artist involved in a given storyline. Amazing at times, but the shifts took me out of the story a little too often.

That said, Can Joe Kelly write Spider-Man? Like, forever? Yes, it's a little too tied to The Dark Reign storyline at times. But the characters are so pitch-perfect, 'tis an east sin to f
John
May 14, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved Siquero's art again, and the involvement of the evil Avengers. Hated the Deus ex machina of Peter's Venom mask saving him from getting shot. My two biggest problems were, there is an assumption of an emotional investment in Harry as a good guy that after 30 years of villainy and death I just don't have anymore (blame One More Day) and Norman knocking up Harry's ex and acting batshit crazy at the end was more a negative for him as a villain than a positive. He's always better as the evil-ge ...more
Sorcha
May 19, 2013 Sorcha rated it it was ok
Following immediately on the heels of "24/7," Spider-Man's world has become more messed-up and stressful than ever and the fact that his biggest enemy is in charge of the world - and the Avengers - is only the icing on a really dangerous cake. Now faced with hard choices about family and friendship, Spider-Man knows exactly what he has to do to save the world - it's time to take down Norman Osborn Collects Amazing Spider-Man #595-599, and Extra #3 (Harry story)

The story is ok - Norman Osborne is
Mike
Feb 15, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, the Spider-verse does love to torture Harry Osborn doesn't it? Torturing Peter Parker goes without saying - without that, the laws of physics in the Spidey-verse would irrevocably change. But adding Harry to the cauldron? Somehow that feels extra-cruel, like torturing puppies before eating them.

I gotta say, the Dark Reign version of Norman Osborn is a treasure of evil - he's just so exquisitely manipulative and one-step-ahead, brutally goal-oriented. I love to hate him, and every little set
Keith
Jun 01, 2012 Keith rated it it was amazing
I'm one of those who hated the Spider-Man reboot of Brand New Day, and this story picks up after that. So I went into this not expecting to like it much. Surprisingly it worked for me! Norman Osborn was as twisted as ever and the Spider-Man/Green Goblin antagonism was portrayed as strongly as it ever has been. Also this was a beautiful portrayal of the Peter/Harry friendship. Why is it I love to see Spider-Man pushed to the brink of defeat and death? Because he quips and because he never lets on ...more
Matt
May 05, 2011 Matt rated it liked it
Collects Amazing Spider-Man issues #595-599 and an 8-page Harry Osborn story from Brand New Day: Extra! issue #3

When I first started reading comics again in 2010, I picked this book up off the shelf. I wasn't lost, but I wasn't really into the story back then. It was originally a 1-star rating for me. Now, having gone back and started at the beginning of the "Brand New Day" era, I liked this story a little bit more. There was some pay-off from some of the previous story arcs, and it is always fu
Tony
Jan 26, 2014 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of the previous fun of the Spidey book post-retcon was that it largely avoided getting bogged down in events so I was a little apprehensive going into what is very much a part of the Dark Reign stuff.

Fortunately Joe Kelly gives you all that you need to know and leans heavily on Parker's relationship with the Osborne family. Norman is somehow more villainous as himself than he ever was as the Green Goblin and he's genuinely intimidating and interesting as the most powerful man in America.

U
Fraser Sherman
This is set during a period when Norman "Green Goblin" Osborne was the head of America's national security system and the Avengers were a team of super-villains working under his direction. Can Norman convince his son Harry Osborne to join forces with him, or will Peter Parker win his best friend to the straight-and-narrow? The father/son/friend dynamic is good, but I'm no more impressed by Osborne and his Dark Avengers than i was when it was new. And heaven help anyone who picks this up with no ...more
Gavin
Jul 10, 2013 Gavin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I enjoyed this story about Norman Osborn trying to involve Harry in the Avengers during his Dark Reign. Obviously Spidey wants to stop that...one of the best parts is the interaction at the start between Spidey and Wolverine. I absolutely loved it. Also cool to see the appearance of Invisible Woman. Spider-Man takes some shit this one but poor Harry, as usual gets dumped on the worst. A decent read.
Sonic
Sep 16, 2010 Sonic rated it liked it
More fun with Norman Osborn.
I wonder if this answers some deep psychological need after having to endure 8 years of G.W.Bush,
but having evil genius madman Norman Osborn
in the powerful position as head of H.A.M.M.E.R.
is a brilliant premise that has led to all kinds of conflict in the Marvel Universe(s).
(And for the record I am not saying G.W. was a genius or a madman.)
Of course Osborn has the most history with Spider-man, so the entanglements are thick.
Caroline
Nov 10, 2009 Caroline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I keep talking about how I love/hate the Spider-Man universe, but I keep reading it so I guess that counts for something. Also it would be easier if I could give 5 stars to the parts of this book that are "Harry Osborn's Ridiculous Daddy Issues" and 2 stars to everything else. I could apply that to a lot of Spider-Man comics, actually. It's a thing.
Shaun
Jan 18, 2014 Shaun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite part of this comic was seeing Peter in his black suit with a little Venom twist and seeing Harry put the beat down on Norman in armor. This truly was a Harry Osborn story. Harry was finally able to break away from his daddy issues and do what was needed for himself. Some of these post One More Day stories are pretty good.
Michael Alexander Henke
I really enjoy Norman Osborn as a villain. Especially during the Dark Reign era, when he was a in a position of power. This story arc deals with Norman attempting to get this son Harry to join the Avengers, as American Son. I have enjoyed Joe Kelly's other work on Spider-Man, and this arc is no exception.
Andy
Mar 09, 2010 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, spider-man
Following the disappointment of 24/7 this story heavy collection was a big step up. Focused more on Harry and his relationship with his father, spidey and Pete it was emotionally hard hitting and quite powerful. At times the art was a little too dense with a lot going on but overall it fit the story nicely. Ties up a lot of recent plot points too.
Thomas
Jul 27, 2013 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great chapter in the Osborn family history and it's relationship with Spider-Man. It also fits nicely into the "Dark Reign" crossover that was taking place at the time in Marvel comics without needing to read all the other issues to understand it. This sage is filled with family drama, friendship, and the tightrope Peter walks when it comes to his identity. Classic Spidey with a modern look.
Charles Willis
Mar 05, 2010 Charles Willis rated it liked it
Norman Osbourn gets real nasty in this arc-- on a couple of different levels. Not too into any of the artist that worked on this one, but the story's decent, and it looks like they're dropping some hints as to what's to come.
Zunaid
Feb 02, 2012 Zunaid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taking place during the Dark Reign timeline, Amercian Son is a very enjoyable story. Harry Osborn joins his father Norman, and Spiderman goes into the Dark Avengers' mansion to save Harry from his father's manipulation. Spiderman vs Dark Avengers...'Nuff Sed!!
Talk Comix
Mar 22, 2014 Talk Comix rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
There is a lot of good and bad to this book. Its basicly a dark avengers/siege book with a splash of spidey mixed in. So interesting charachter dynamics holds the book together. The plot isnt much to write home about and the change of art is quite frustrating.
Geonessary
Jan 30, 2016 Geonessary rated it it was amazing
Very intense! Edge of the seat reading right here. This entire book seems very personal for Parker. Several times you think, is this it?! Is this when he finally snaps and kills?! The artwork really conveys the intensity and you kind of root for Spidey to finally just give in to that dark urge.
Shannon Appelcline
Overall a good story that nicely interrelates Norman Osbourne's position in Dark Reign with his more personal interactions with Harry and Peter. Then the last issue ups the stakes in some unexpected ways!
James Dunphy
Mar 02, 2013 James Dunphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of my favorite Spider-man arcs of the last decade. It's everything the 50+ years of Spider-man has been about fit perfectly within the context of Dark Reign. I'll end up reading this again.
Walt Walkowski
Mar 26, 2012 Walt Walkowski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since stumbling across this giant section of my library containing these "graphic novels," this has been, by far, my favorite. Really enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot and the "cameos" of other heros in the storyline.
Angela
May 20, 2011 Angela rated it liked it
The Harry Osborne storyline is quite emotionally moving. The rest of the story kinda doesn't compete with it, just the usual spiderman vs Osborne.
Stolt-man
May 09, 2015 Stolt-man rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was better than I expected, considering I didn't like Joe Kelly's last story.
Alexandria
Spider-man beat Daken? Yeah right.
Jessica
Jan 03, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Joe Kelly is my favorite for uncomfortable relationship moments. I was glad I read this in one sitting so I could really see and enjoy the structure of the story.
  • Spider-Man: New Ways To Die
  • Spider-Man: The Gauntlet Book 4 - Juggernaut
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 10: New Avengers
  • The New Avengers, Volume 12: Powerloss
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Volume 3: World's Most Wanted, Book 2

The Amazing Spider-Man (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Coming Home