Start by marking “Spider-Man: American Son” as Want to Read:
Spider-Man: American Son

Spider-Man: American Son (The Amazing Spider-Man #25)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  837 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Published March 17th 2010 by Marvel (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Spider-Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider-Man

Nicolo Yu
I have a feeling this story won’t age particularly well. This was set during the Dark Reign, a time where Spider-Man’s prime arch-foe Norman Osborn, also known as the Green Goblin, inexplicably became the top law enforcer of the United States as fallout from the Secret Invasion. This was also Spider-Man in his Brand New Day reboot, which restored his secret identity and a controversial annulment from his wife.

This story would be difficult to follow if you are not updated with current Marvel Comi
Tony
Part of the previous fun of the Spidey book post-retcon was that it largely avoided getting bogged down in events so I was a little apprehensive going into what is very much a part of the Dark Reign stuff.

Fortunately Joe Kelly gives you all that you need to know and leans heavily on Parker's relationship with the Osborne family. Norman is somehow more villainous as himself than he ever was as the Green Goblin and he's genuinely intimidating and interesting as the most powerful man in America.

U
Sorcha
Following immediately on the heels of "24/7," Spider-Man's world has become more messed-up and stressful than ever and the fact that his biggest enemy is in charge of the world - and the Avengers - is only the icing on a really dangerous cake. Now faced with hard choices about family and friendship, Spider-Man knows exactly what he has to do to save the world - it's time to take down Norman Osborn Collects Amazing Spider-Man #595-599, and Extra #3 (Harry story)

The story is ok - Norman Osborne is
Mike
Man, the Spider-verse does love to torture Harry Osborn doesn't it? Torturing Peter Parker goes without saying - without that, the laws of physics in the Spidey-verse would irrevocably change. But adding Harry to the cauldron? Somehow that feels extra-cruel, like torturing puppies before eating them.

I gotta say, the Dark Reign version of Norman Osborn is a treasure of evil - he's just so exquisitely manipulative and one-step-ahead, brutally goal-oriented. I love to hate him, and every little set
John
Loved Siquero's art again, and the involvement of the evil Avengers. Hated the Deus ex machina of Peter's Venom mask saving him from getting shot. My two biggest problems were, there is an assumption of an emotional investment in Harry as a good guy that after 30 years of villainy and death I just don't have anymore (blame One More Day) and Norman knocking up Harry's ex and acting batshit crazy at the end was more a negative for him as a villain than a positive. He's always better as the evil-ge ...more
Vanessa
I'm not particularly a follower of Spiderman-nothing against the series, just not my thing. I read this because I've been enamored with Joe Kelly since reading his graphic novel I Kill Giants (which was a limited series he did for Image and is therefore fairly different from the stuff he writes for DC and Marvel to pay the bills.)

This is a decent story arc about Spiderman and the continuing conflicts in the Osborn family between Norman (also known as The Green Goblin, of course) and his son Harr
Mike
First things first: the rotating artists got kinda old after awhile. They were all good-to-great, don't get me wrong. But Starting off with the sublime Phil Jimenez only makes it harder on any other artist involved in a given storyline. Amazing at times, but the shifts took me out of the story a little too often.

That said, Can Joe Kelly write Spider-Man? Like, forever? Yes, it's a little too tied to The Dark Reign storyline at times. But the characters are so pitch-perfect, 'tis an east sin to f
Keith
I'm one of those who hated the Spider-Man reboot of Brand New Day, and this story picks up after that. So I went into this not expecting to like it much. Surprisingly it worked for me! Norman Osborn was as twisted as ever and the Spider-Man/Green Goblin antagonism was portrayed as strongly as it ever has been. Also this was a beautiful portrayal of the Peter/Harry friendship. Why is it I love to see Spider-Man pushed to the brink of defeat and death? Because he quips and because he never lets on ...more
Talk Comix
There is a lot of good and bad to this book. Its basicly a dark avengers/siege book with a splash of spidey mixed in. So interesting charachter dynamics holds the book together. The plot isnt much to write home about and the change of art is quite frustrating.
Shaun
My favorite part of this comic was seeing Peter in his black suit with a little Venom twist and seeing Harry put the beat down on Norman in armor. This truly was a Harry Osborn story. Harry was finally able to break away from his daddy issues and do what was needed for himself. Some of these post One More Day stories are pretty good.
Fraser Sherman
This is set during a period when Norman "Green Goblin" Osborne was the head of America's national security system and the Avengers were a team of super-villains working under his direction. Can Norman convince his son Harry Osborne to join forces with him, or will Peter Parker win his best friend to the straight-and-narrow? The father/son/friend dynamic is good, but I'm no more impressed by Osborne and his Dark Avengers than i was when it was new. And heaven help anyone who picks this up with no ...more
Alexandria
Spider-man beat Daken? Yeah right.
Sonic
More fun with Norman Osborn.
I wonder if this answers some deep psychological need after having to endure 8 years of G.W.Bush,
but having evil genius madman Norman Osborn
in the powerful position as head of H.A.M.M.E.R.
is a brilliant premise that has led to all kinds of conflict in the Marvel Universe(s).
(And for the record I am not saying G.W. was a genius or a madman.)
Of course Osborn has the most history with Spider-man, so the entanglements are thick.
Gavin
I enjoyed this story about Norman Osborn trying to involve Harry in the Avengers during his Dark Reign. Obviously Spidey wants to stop that...one of the best parts is the interaction at the start between Spidey and Wolverine. I absolutely loved it. Also cool to see the appearance of Invisible Woman. Spider-Man takes some shit this one but poor Harry, as usual gets dumped on the worst. A decent read.
Thomas
A great chapter in the Osborn family history and it's relationship with Spider-Man. It also fits nicely into the "Dark Reign" crossover that was taking place at the time in Marvel comics without needing to read all the other issues to understand it. This sage is filled with family drama, friendship, and the tightrope Peter walks when it comes to his identity. Classic Spidey with a modern look.
Andy
Following the disappointment of 24/7 this story heavy collection was a big step up. Focused more on Harry and his relationship with his father, spidey and Pete it was emotionally hard hitting and quite powerful. At times the art was a little too dense with a lot going on but overall it fit the story nicely. Ties up a lot of recent plot points too.
Caroline
I keep talking about how I love/hate the Spider-Man universe, but I keep reading it so I guess that counts for something. Also it would be easier if I could give 5 stars to the parts of this book that are "Harry Osborn's Ridiculous Daddy Issues" and 2 stars to everything else. I could apply that to a lot of Spider-Man comics, actually. It's a thing.
Michael Alexander Henke
I really enjoy Norman Osborn as a villain. Especially during the Dark Reign era, when he was a in a position of power. This story arc deals with Norman attempting to get this son Harry to join the Avengers, as American Son. I have enjoyed Joe Kelly's other work on Spider-Man, and this arc is no exception.
Zunaid
Taking place during the Dark Reign timeline, Amercian Son is a very enjoyable story. Harry Osborn joins his father Norman, and Spiderman goes into the Dark Avengers' mansion to save Harry from his father's manipulation. Spiderman vs Dark Avengers...'Nuff Sed!!
Walt Walkowski
Since stumbling across this giant section of my library containing these "graphic novels," this has been, by far, my favorite. Really enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot and the "cameos" of other heros in the storyline.
Matt Chic
Norman Osbourn gets real nasty in this arc-- on a couple of different levels. Not too into any of the artist that worked on this one, but the story's decent, and it looks like they're dropping some hints as to what's to come.
Shannon Appelcline
Overall a good story that nicely interrelates Norman Osbourne's position in Dark Reign with his more personal interactions with Harry and Peter. Then the last issue ups the stakes in some unexpected ways!
James Dunphy
Probably one of my favorite Spider-man arcs of the last decade. It's everything the 50+ years of Spider-man has been about fit perfectly within the context of Dark Reign. I'll end up reading this again.
Jessica
Jan 03, 2012 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Joe Kelly is my favorite for uncomfortable relationship moments. I was glad I read this in one sitting so I could really see and enjoy the structure of the story.
Angela
The Harry Osborne storyline is quite emotionally moving. The rest of the story kinda doesn't compete with it, just the usual spiderman vs Osborne.
Matt Riddell
Origin of the legendary Spider-man/Wolverine fist bump.
Hunter
Hunter marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
  • Spider-Man: The Gauntlet Book 4 - Juggernaut
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 7: The Book of Ezekiel
  • Dark Avengers, Vol. 1: Assemble
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 3: World's Most Wanted, Book 2
I Kill Giants Deadpool Classic, Vol. 2 JLA, Vol. 11: The Obsidian Age, Vol. 1 Deadpool Classic, Vol. 3 Spider-Man: Grim Hunt