Start by marking “Girl in the Cellar: The Natascha Kampusch Story” as Want to Read:
Girl in the Cellar: The Natascha Kampusch Story

Girl in the Cellar: The Natascha Kampusch Story

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Eight years of darkness

On March 2, 1998, while on her way to school, ten-year-old Natascha Kampusch was abducted. More than eight years later, on August 23, 2006, she escaped with a story that shocked and horrified the entire world. She spent the most delicate years of her life hidden in a cellar underneath an ordinary Austrian suburban home. How was she able to survive? W
Published March 9th 2010 by Harper (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Girl in the Cellar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl in the Cellar

Shahrun
I found this book rather odd. I think that is because it was written and published very early, after Natascha's freedom and without her direct imput. It is also very repetative (I think to make the book long enough to publish). The authors used the same direct quotes to make the same point in various places in the book.

But it did provide me with a little more information than I knew, from hearing of the story on the news. It also made me very angry about the mistakes made in the search and polic
♥ Marlene♥
Okay I did not know much at all about this story. Only that the victim is accused of loving to be the centre of attention in the media.
Did not know what happened, only that she was abducted.
Well this book did tell me a little bit. How she was kidnapped, how long she was there, but I find this all so weird.
Her behavior so crazy. I decided to search the Internet get to understand her, and afterwards I think the writers did explain her pretty good.
So weird, why did she lie about some stuff? Why did
Ummu Auni
I found this while in Manchaster. It intrigued me, plus the cheap price too. I'd been fascinated with the Natascha's story. Her ordeal is extraordinary, for someone who had been trapped underground for 8 years, she displays amazing extraordinary will and strength.

The write up does not focus on Natascha's ordeal in the cellar, but rather from newspapers, interviews with relevant personnel and her families. It's looking at two-sided coin. It's indeed quite difficult to pinpoint whether Natascha w
Tarina
I’ve heard the name Natascha Kampusch over and over. All I knew about her was that she was held in captivity for most of her life and that she eventually managed to free herself from her captor, the psychotic Wolfgang Priklopil. She gave hope to those parents who had children snatched away from them. She was, in other words, a survivor.

It was an interesting read. However, I feel there is more to Natascha’s story though. One would definitely question her relationship with Priklopil. It was weird
Bookguide
Dit boek is geschreven in een journalistische stijl, en zeer kort na de ontsnapping van Natascha. Als gevolg moeten de auteurs vaak speculeren over het ware verhaal en baseren hun bevindingen op allerlei onbewezen geruchten en theorieën. Dit wordt nog erger gemaakt door de manier waarop Natascha de media manipuleert en nog steeds weigert alles te verklappen. Gezien het feit dat haar kidnapper zelfmoord gepleegd heeft, blijven veel vragen onbeantwoord omdat er weinig onderzoek is gedaan en er gee ...more
Ruth
Wow. I didn't know anything about this true story before I read this book. I expected this book to only be about the kidnapping of Natascha. However, the authors wrote it in a way to give you the perspective of the media, society, her parents, police, therapists, and detectives as well. I enjoyed that because it left me to come with my own conclusions about what really happened, why it happened, and whether or not it could have been prevented. At times I found myself wondering if Natascha's moth ...more
Isabel
WOW.

This book was dreadful!! The descriptions are flat, boring and over-dramatic. "Only so and so many days left until..that fateful day!", for instance.

It was interesting to find out more details about how exactly she escaped. But that's it. The book did not seem thoroughly researched, or very detailed with solid facts, I still find myself skeptical of its content. But that was not the worst part.

The worst part was the dreadful, horrific and hopeless and obvious translation from German into Eng
Suspense Magazine
As if carefully plotted by a master storyteller, picture the scene: its early morning and an innocent young girl is making her way to school. Maybe her backpack is slipping from the weight of her schoolbooks as she heads unenthusiastically towards her destination. She’s already focused on her day ahead and only momentarily distracted by the sight of an indistinct white van with a single occupant up ahead. It is close to the entrance of her school so she ignores that nagging feeling in the pit of ...more
Ape
I picked this up for "light" reading for kind of current affairs/true crime reading. I just feel sometimes that I should know more about what's going on in the world than I do. And this book certainly helps with that. It will tell you one thing, then repeat it several times throughout the rest of the book to make sure that you have remembered it! I'm sure that's not the reason why they've done it like that; it'll have more to do with the fact that they needed to bump this up to a book-length pie ...more
Trisha
Inhoud:
Het verhaal gaat over Natascha Kampusch, het meisje in Wenen dat 8 jaar heeft vastgezeten in een kelder na een ontvoering op 10 jarige leeftijd. Haar ontsnapping is wereldnieuws, maar ze vertelt niet het hele verhaal. Allan Hall en Michael Leidig vertellen het verhaal niet uit haar ogen, maar door middel van interviews en krantenartikelen om de onduidelijkheden in Kampusch verhaal proberen te ontrafelen. De heren geven echter al aan dat het verhaal geen duidelijkheid zal geven op vragen d
Annchan Maulana
Oct 17, 2007 Annchan Maulana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yang suka cerita nyata yang tragis dan misterius
Cerita tentang seorang anak kecil perempuan (Natascha) yang diculik dan disekap selama 8 tahun di ruang bawah tanah. Tidak ada yang menduga ada seorang anak kecil yang disekap dalam rumah itu karena rumah itu terlihat seperti rumah biasa yang letaknya juga tidak terpencil.

Yang jadi misterius dalam cerita ini adalah :
1. Apa tujuan si penculik ? minta tebusan juga ngga ....
2. Apa saja yang dilalui oleh Natascha itu selama 8 tahun disekap ?
3. Kenapa dia baru melarikan diri setelah 8 tahun itu, pada
Lisa Bennett
That is one weird woman! It sounds to me like she totally manipulated the guy, even though she was in his power, and used what happened to her for her own advantage when she was free to make the millions she's made. Total manipulation for her own benefit. It'sobvious to me she's keeping stuff back, ie her real relationship with him. More went on than she's letting on, and the amount of occasions she had to run, and never did! What annoyed me about the book was the poor grammer. Too many long sen ...more
This review is going to be very short because it just didn't do anything for me. I love reading storys about kidnappings and crimes and hearing survivors storys. This story wasn't told from the victim Natascha's perspective and instead told from two journalists perspectives, which made it feel very cheap in the respect that I feel like a lot of the aspects of the story were made off assumptions and here-say instead of factual information.

Because there were two differenet authors I felt like a l
Louis Cecile
I very interesting story that seems impossible, but has happened. The main issue is that so much is still secret and it is those secrets that would flesh out the material to provide more insight. Character analysis is kept basis and media manipulation is the key word throughout the book. This plays the part in that the book is written by those in the media.

No one can truly imagine what happened and scars left behind will remain forever. The psychology hinted at towards the end, needed to be exc
Jamie Bellinger
I think it was horrible that there were people out there that blamed Natascha for what happened to her. I think people forget that she was only 10 years old when she was taken and even though she was 18 when found she is still a child b/c she never had a chance to grow-up. Even though she had feelings for the man who kept her that doesn't mean she was happy to be there and its just rediculous that way people treated and talked about them after she was found. I don't believe that anyone can say a ...more
Mirjam Penning
The story on it's own was really interesting. That it is a true story makes it sad for the person involved. But somehow I found the story hów it was written a little bit boring at times.
Cholifia Astri
Mar 24, 2008 Cholifia Astri rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: angga
Kisah nyata tentang seorang anak wanita (Natasha) yang diculik selama 8 tahun sejak ia berumur 10th…Namun hingga saat ini tidak dapat diketahui dengan pasti motif penculikan tersebut karena sang penculik bunuh diri dengan menabrakan dirinya ke kereta api beberapa saat setelah Natasha melarikan diri. Dan Natasha pun tidak mau mengungkapakan alasanya mengapa ia baru melarikan diri setelah 8th padahal banyak terdapat kesempatan untuk itu.
Ikatan batin yang sangat kuat antara korban dan penculik bany
Logicpopeye
too rambled. probably because it was written by two newspaper journalist and they used their boring journalistic writing style. too many unimportant names, it didn't draw me in. but it did give me better understanding of the case kampusch. especially this: kampusch was in a strange way in love with priklopil, that's why she didn't run away on many opportunities she was given, because she was afraid he would commit suicide.

so if you are looking to get raw data of the case yes, if you are looking
Den
Far too much repetition and guesswork.
Katelynn
This book tells and interesting story that definitely captures attention and makes you wonder about the never-ending possibilities of what happened to her and how in the world did she survive that life.
At the same time, the book was written oddly. There were many passages repeated throughout the book. Some even three times! I've never read a book that has done that before. I'm encouraged to read more about this case and find out what shes doing with her life today.
Love
Well I hate to write a bad review, but this books seemed very boring to me. Not that this subject matter is easy to write about I am sure. I want a book to hold my attention but this just seemed to put me to sleep. There was not enough information about what happened while she was held up in that house with this man...More about who they were before this happened.That is about all I got to say on this one. Three stars because I did like parts of it!
Jeff Lee
An engrossing read about sexual perversion and Kampusch's own intimacy with the loony tune who kept her captive for 8 1/2 years. It reads a bit like a crime novel but, somehow, lacks the urgency to propel readers headlong into the future. I dutifully finished the book in two days, and I must confess that it made me depressed after the first day. Reading about depravity sickens me and is not all that captivating as watching it unfold on TV.
Edwina Hall Callan
Since I started out knowing next to nothing about this case I gave the book 2 stars. Yes, it did give me the facts but it was like reading an article in a tabloid repeated over and over again to make it book length.
What I did find eerie was how similar this case is to "The Collector" by John Fowles. Did Wolfgang Priklopil use this book as his training manual ? Creepy!
Paige Bradish
That was an inspiring book, and while reading it i looked up the girl who was kidnapped and found that she also wrote a book about what happened so im excited to read that too. But this book i think kind of dragged on a bit. i think they had a little to much detail and unnecesary stuff to everything. But overall it was pretty good.
Bonnie
I suppose my opinion of this book might be colored by reading it while I had the flu! It was a good, sad story, but written more journalistically...and the writing was somewhat awkward and slow. Perhaps that was the translation from the German, I don't know. I think I'd rather read a better written account of the same story.
Allison Collins
Although it was a fascinating book to read, one that captures the imagination of that there is no doubt. There was a repetitive element to it that I found annoying to a degree and ruined the book for me.

However with my interest piqued I will be definitely reading Natascha's biography 3096 Days.
Olivia
I thought this book would be more in depth in regards to what Natascha went through. However, much of it is speculation and an overview of the case itself. Blah. I'm going to read Natascha's book to gain more insight.
Neja
A lot of people knows this story. It's so disturbing you just can't wrap your brains around it. The only thing that bothered me with this book is, that it wasn't wrote from a victim's perspective.
Helen O'Mahony
This book is based on two professionals views. It got very tedious reading it and I found myself skipping pages. Alot was 'what they thought' happened rather than actual fact.
Gay
Horrifying, but since it is non fiction and verifiable, you are compelled to keep reading. I have thought of this story many times in the two years since I read it...
  • Such Good Boys: The True Story of a Mother, Two Sons and a Horrifying Murder
  • Pure Murder
  • Cellar of Horror
  • The Man With The Candy: The Story of The Houston Mass Murders
  • Cannibal: The True Story Behind the Maneater of Rotenburg
  • The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town
  • Fred & Rose
  • Our Little Secret: The True Story of a Teenager Killer and the Silence of a Small New England Town
  • Encyclopedia of Serial Killers
  • After Etan: The Missing Child Case that Held America Captive
  • Under the Bridge: The True Story of the Murder of Reena Virk
  • Cruel Deception
  • A Death in White Bear Lake: The True Chronicle of an All-American Town
  • I Would Find a Girl Walking
  • Tacoma Confidential: A True Story of Murder, Suicide, and a Police Chief's Secret Life
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
  • Mommy's Little Girl
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
Reporter for UK Daily Mail and tabloids on crime, paranormal, history, and the unexplained.
Freelancer: Daily Mail, Daily Star, Daily Express, Observer, Daily Mirror, Daily Record, The Scotsman, The Age, Melbourne, Sunday Times, The Times, Daily and Sunday Telegraph, Mail on Sunday, Sunday People, Sunday Mirror, Sunda
More about Allan Hall...
Monster Captive: The Story of the Cleveland Abductions The World's Greatest Secrets (World's Greatest) Captive: One House, Three Women and Ten Years in Hell Girl in the Cellar: The Natascha Kampusch Story