Start by marking “Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All

Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown #5)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  2,457 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
* A clown accused of robbery...
* A mutt maimed by an armed gardener...
* A pig-shaped teapot...
* A Cupid who shoots expensive arrows...
* And a muscle-building tonic that shrinks your pockets!

These are just some of the ten brain-twisting mysteries that Encyclopedia Brown must solve by using his famous computerlike brain. Try to crack the cases along with him -- you'll find t
Published July 1978 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All

Myles
Mar 07, 2015 Myles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only guessed 4 out of 10. I am humbled

But then, Encyclopedia Brown usually proved too clever for me. Even as a child I would more often than not thumb to the back of the book to read the solution. More often than not its staring everybody in Idaville in the face and Encyclopedia is the only person blessed with both the book smarts and the common sense to see it.

This was the only book in the original run of the series I didn't have growing up, so it was fun to test my wits. I thought with my f
Julesmarie

I continue to be fascinated by this series. I recommended the first four books to my students and I've loved seeing how excited they are by the opportunity to try to solve Encyclopedia's mysteries along with him.

My favorite thing continues to be that the solutions to the mysteries are all at the end of the book so they can't accidentally be spoiled if you want to think about it.

My favorite mystery in this one would probably be the one about the cherries, the first mystery in the book. I
Leta
Nov 04, 2009 Leta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This got left at rehearsal and - for the price of returning it to the school library that owns it - I was allowed to take it home to read. I loved these books when I was a kid they must have made a real impact on me because I realized as I was re-reading this one that I still remember the revealing fact decades after having originally read the book.
Noodle
May 07, 2009 Noodle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recently I made an Encyclopedia Brown reference and no one knew what I was talking about. "Who is Bugs Meany?" they asked. Jeez, what planet did you grow up on.
Andreia
I remember always trying to figure out the cases on my own. Still one of the strangest towns filled with the strangest kids (and adults)
Hannah
Dec 29, 2008 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers
Recommended to Hannah by: The Libary
So far I love this one moore than any other in the series. It has alot of harder puzles and they were not as easy to figure out.
Laura Verret
It’s been a while since I reviewed an Encyclopedia Brown book!

The Stories.

The Case of the Missing Clues. Abner Nelson has a problem for Encyclopedia to solve – a problem of protection. Bugs Meany has decided that Abner’s fruit stand needs “protection” from thieves – and that he’s the one who should protect it. The only problem is that Bugs is the biggest thief of them all. Can Encyclopedia prove that Bugs has been stealing Abner’s fruit?

The Case of the Super-Secret Hold. Ever since the day that
Sheri Struk
Encyclopedia Brown (known to his parents and teachers as Leroy) is back to solving crimes of all sorts. The truth is always in the details - both small and large - and sometimes in what has not been said. Encyclopedia is wary of his encounters (or his client's encounters) with the infamous Buggs Meaney who seems to be at the root of some potential crime.
Again, a fun book series to read and it encourages the reader/listener to think "outside the box" and really pay attention.
Timothy McNeil
Same basic formula. Still the occasional shoddy logic getting to the conclusion (or one of many plausible conclusions). Sure, Sobol didn't understand deaf culture. Sure, he seemed to have little regard for Native Americans, past or...well, they all really just enemies from the past to him.

My question, aside from "when the hell did they build multiple synagogues in Idaville?", is what kind of sick town has more movie theaters than delicatessens? It was 1968. Not like Sobol needed a colored theate
Dolly
Nov 19, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who enjoy reading mysteries
This is another fun edition of short mysteries in the Encyclopedia Brown series of books by Donald J. Sobol.

We haven't read the books in this series very consistently, but now that our girls are a bit older, they are fascinated by the scenarios. We listened to the book narrated aloud on audio CD as we drove home from summer camp and our girls were fascinated by the solutions. They aren't necessarily able to figure them out before hearing the answers, but they are able to understand the solution
Mskychick
Reread Alpha & Omega by Patricia Briggs
This is a placeholder, or rather a place counter, since stupid GoodReads does not allow one to count re-read books towards one's total book read count for the year.
Even though I've read the book before, I READ THE DAMN BOOK THIS YEAR, AND IT COUNTS TOWARD MY F#%KING COUNTS!
Stupid Goodreads *grumble, grumble*
Elisabeth

Leroy Brown is back in the next six books in the Encyclopedia Brown series. As Idaville’s ten-year-old star detective, Encyclopedia has an uncanny knack for trivia. With his unconventional knowledge, he solves mysteries for the neighborhood kids through his own detective agency. But his dad also happens to be the chief of the Idaville police department, and every night around the dinner table, Encyclopedia helps him solve some of the most baffling crimes. With ten confounding mysteries in each b

Seth
Oct 15, 2015 Seth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: by-myself
Encyclopedia got a customer. He said bugs meany was protecting his fruit stand from other fruit stands. He stole fruit to! Encyclopedia found evidence that Bugs meany stole fruit. Read book to find out evidence.
The Styling Librarian
Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All and Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace by Donald Sobol - Still enjoying moving through this series with my son. We enjoy trying to solve the cases before reading the solutions!
Lisa
Aug 19, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the Encyclopedia Brown series. I like how they put the solution @ the end so you can think and try and solve it.
Audry
Jul 13, 2011 Audry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. I'd never read any of them before. The book is about a boy nic-named Encyclopedia. His father is the police chief of Idaville. Encyclopedia solves mysteries. He does a good job. He's good at noticing little things that make a big difference. I wish I were more that way. The book is written so that the case is put before you, but as he solves the case, the end of the case is at the end of the book. The book is made up of several cases, and all the ends of each case is at the end of t ...more
Sfgballfan
Collection of short stories of a boy detective
Don LaFountaine
Nov 08, 2014 Don LaFountaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book, especially for kids ages 8 - 10
i liked it
Gina
Finished 8/1/16
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I recommend Encyclopedia Brown. I was 8 when I first encountered this series. I loved it. It was recommended by a boy that I liked. What I liked about these books is that it taught me how to think before making wild guesses. Each book had several cases which were easy to read and follow for a child. I recommend this to any parent looking for helping their child to use logic and deductive reasoning. Great on how to look at relevant facts at a child's level.
Timothy Boyd
Feb 19, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are fantastic books. I loved them as a kid. You can solve the mysteries along with Encyclopedia Brown, all the clues are in the story. They make you think. Very recommended for young readers
Lynnette
Dec 05, 2012 Lynnette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The girls had me read a mini mystery story (each one is a chapter) before bedtime each night until we finished the book. Encyclopedia is very logical and the stories are entertaining for youn ger readers. I would say 6-12 age range. We enjoyed reading all the cases and trying to solve them before we read the case file answer. Great family read!
Rainier
May 29, 2014 Rainier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This book is in the mystery category and is for children. It has 10 cases and is as funny as a clown.
The #1 main character is Encyclopedia Brown #2 is Bugs Meany #3 is Sally Kimball. It is a book that has dogs, rich men, and fruit in it: all in all it is a book as great as infinity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Natalie
Apr 02, 2011 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this - I even flipped back to try to solve some.

Sam seems less ambitious to try to solve them so this is the only one I am releasing for now.

This was Dan's when he was little so it is cool to have her enjoying it now. It was the first time I had read Encyclopedia Brown and I really like it :-)
Jj
Jul 23, 2012 Jj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: july-book-list
I wanted to read Mr. Sobol books, because he passed not to long ago. And this is my way of a appreciation for his brillant work. Like all Encylopedia brown books. His book is very enteraining, quick read, and very enjoyable. I enjoyed alot of the short mysteries in the book. So i have three more to read and that will be that :)
Ml Stephens
Oct 10, 2012 Ml Stephens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Need a something on your Kindle that will kill five minutes and keep the six-year-old from saying something like "Boy that lady sure is big!"? Here's the prescription. We've also proved my son will not grow up to be a detective...hasn't solved one yet, but we enjoy letting Leroy and Sally do the heavy lifting.
Raja99
Sep 17, 2008 Raja99 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mcpl
I enjoyed reading this more than any of the others in this series. All the puzzles seemed fair, and fun; the solutions didn't leap out at me. Perhaps I haven't reread this as often as the others.

(I finished this book a day or so after [Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective]; I don't remember the exact date.)
Ginger
Aug 12, 2012 Ginger rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-clubs
Why isn't there a 1.5-star rating? I like the idea that these little stories encourage kids to do some thinking. However, I think they're a bit dated. "Playboy" doesn't mean the same thing today as it did in the 1960s. And calling Native Americans "Redskins" isn't really acceptable these days.
  • The Great Brain Is Back (Great Brain #8)
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • Houseboat Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #12)
  • The Mystery of the Invisible Dog (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #23)
  • Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst (Anastasia Krupnik, #4)
  • Hyperspace (Choose Your Own Adventure, #21)
  • The Chocolate Fudge Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #14)
  • Something Queer at the Library (Something Queer Mysteries, Book 3)
  • The Hooded Hawk Mystery (Hardy Boys, #34)
  • A Thief at the National Zoo (Capital Mysteries #9)
  • Midnight in the Dollhouse (Apple)
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...

Encyclopedia Brown (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Lends a Hand (Encyclopedia Brown, #11)