Start by marking “A Simple Christmas: Twelve Stories That Celebrate the True Holiday Spirit” as Want to Read:
A Simple Christmas: Twelve Stories That Celebrate the True Holiday Spirit

A Simple Christmas: Twelve Stories That Celebrate the True Holiday Spirit

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  57 reviews
The first Christmas was a simple one. So simple that it had all the makings of a first-class disaster. It's a miracle it turned out well at all. In fact, that's the whole point. It really was, and remains, a miracle--the greatest miracle of all time. And it really was simple.
-Mike Huckabee
Christmas has become synonymous with shopping, overindulging, competition, and st
Published November 3rd 2009 by Sentinel (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Simple Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Simple Christmas

Rhonda
This was my personal, autographed copy!!

Mike Huckabee reflects on twelve Christmas memories from his life, some happy, some sad, that bring back the true meaning of Christmas, and help to remind us to settle back and enjoy the simplicity of the original Christmas, and not get caught up in the stress we typically seem to make of it.

He writes of such subjects as: Patience, loneliness, family, hope, stability, faith and rewards.

Below, just two quotes from two other areas:

Crisis:
"That Christmas we
Bonnie
If you have ever heard Mr. Huckabee speak you know that he is a person of charm and wit-a natural storyteller. With twelve stories from his life (mostly heartwarming but some also serious) Mr. Huckabee follows each one with a brief summing up of how what he just related reveals a truth about Christmas and its real meaning. Memorable and well beautifully written.
Anne
Great inspirational book that I will share with my friends from Church and hopefully get it passed around so it gets in someone's hands that needed it as much as me. I lost my Mom and Sister recently and my Dad came to live with us which is a good thing but changes our plans a lot. I learned from this book that you need to be happy with and what you have. You bless other people and you'll be blessed back! I know it is a book with Christmas stories and they can bless you any time of the year.
Suzanne
I had a few simple goals this Christmas. Goals that I wanted just for myself. They were to read two Christmas books and make at least a good head start on a craft project. Well, I’ve managed to get one book completed three days before our holiday festivities begin, and about half a sock knitted. I may not actually complete my goals, but in the midst of shopping, wrapping, delivering, baking and cleaning (not to mention my usual household duties), I got at least this much done.

The truth is, with
Michelle
At first I didn't think I was going to like this book because I felt it started out with an arrogant tone. As I got into the book, I felt that tone went away, but there was something unsatisfying about his style of writing.

That said, I enjoyed his Christmas memories, and often times it made me nostalgic for my own childhood Christmases that always seemed so warm, cozy and magical. I also came to appreciate his no-nonsense, homespun approach to life, and of course, the importance of God and Chris
Melissa
“Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus,” and his name is Michael Dale Huckabee. A former pastor, Huckabee wrote “A Simple Christmas: Twelve Stories That Celebrate the True Holiday Spirit.” Originally published in 2009 by the Penguin Group, this book is a hidden gem of uplifting words of wisdom that spell out the true spirit of Christmas.

Between the big box shops slashing the prices for Thanksgiving day shoppers, to Black Friday bargains and Cyber Monday sell outs, it is not hard to get wrapped u
J
I’m a fan of Huckabee’s politics, but I could’t get into this book. His writing style put me off ... it was too folksy and casual. It also seemed to lack structure - i.e. it didn’t build to a point, it just sort of rambled around.

This book shared a lot of personal information about Huckabee, but I had trouble connecting with it. He doesn’t seem to be able to present himself well. In the preface, he talks about the “perks” of his life and it created a distasteful and unlikable impression.

Later h
Stephanie
Nov 18, 2012 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Listening Alaska
Shelves: listened-lit
This really isn't a book of Simple Christmas stories - it is more a memoir or Autobiography of Mike Huckabee's political pursuits and family life. It started out a bit pretentious and arrogant in the introduction. A bit "preachy," as well. but I held on looking for those Christmas stories. They came. They were heartwarming and funny, but by the middle of the book, they disappeared again. Those heartwarming and inspiring stories of Christmas melted away and we were stuck with political pursuits a ...more
Darlene
Mike Huckabee’s A Simple Christmas is a must-read! From laughter over his Christmas wish for an “electric guitar or nothing” to tears when “Uncle Garvin” came to stay to nostalgia in huge doses, this little book has it all. Ok, I’m a sentimentalist. I’m a sucker for huge doses of nostalgia.

For me, it was an inspirational trip down memory lane. Even his little “Winnebago home on the tracks” reminded me greatly of our first home. Whether you’re of his generation or not, I believe you’ll still ha
Jane
Kellie
My husband purchased this signed copy for me last year at Joseph Beth. I guess I was interested since Huckabee ran for president as a conservative and I didn’t know much about him. This book is OK. It didn’t blow me away but I found it interesting. Huckabee is a devout Christian and this is very apparent in the book. Unfortunately, I think this is probably why he didn’t get anywhere running for president. Quite frankly, he seems a bit preachy and self righteous. The book was interesting. He has ...more
Erin
I don't follow politics, really...at all...for the most part. And I don't want to talk about why, that's almost as bad/boring as talking about politics themselves. I found out after I got the book from the library that Mike Huckabee is a right-wing, very conservative Christian fellow who ran for the Republican nomination in 2008. So, not my typical author to say the least. However, I liked this book, a lot. He's a good writer and tells a good story. The 12 stories are about Christmas - the impor ...more
Lisa Magee
Very disappointing. I thought with all the people he must know and all his travels that he was going to tell 12 stories of Christmas about people he knew. I thougbt it might be very heart warming. Instead, he used the "Christmas Story" line in a very self-centric way, basically using the Christmas season as an excuse to write an autobiography, and to slam his political foes,competing political parties, and the press, while defending himself. NOT written with the Christmas Spirit in mind. I would ...more
Jamie F
Really enjoyed his personal stories of growing up and early marriage. Would have enjoyed it better without the sprinkling of politics.
Natalie Snapp
Overall a good read - if you are wanting to know more about Huckabee as a person, this is a good one. We attended a dinner in which he spoke so I decided to read it given the fact that I had always labeled him as a little more "right wing" than I had originally thought. I do still think he is very conservative but in a way that jives with what I believe - he is not as extreme as I had originally thought and truthfully, I like what he says. I gave three stars because at times it feels to the read ...more
Steve Curll
A simple christmas is an easy read which can be accomplished in an evening. Mike Huckabee has a laid back style in this book much like his television show. If you were a teenager in the 60's or a parent of children in the 60's, you are bound to see your family. I especially identify with Mike wanting to BE a Beatle. I never bought a guitar but was proud of my hair and Beatle Boots. How does this relate to a Simple Christmas? Read these heartwarming stories on a cold night to see the simple messa ...more
Nancy
Mike Huckabee tells us that many people count time according to the last or the next Christmas. He tells about his life, and important events that took place around Christmas. He came from a poor family, and was the first one in his family to graduate from high school. He tells of his wife's near fatal cancer, and the miracle of her being able to have children afterward. He worked in radio and TV, and he was a Baptist preacher. He was the governor of Arkansas, and he ran for president of the Uni ...more
Adam
Overall, I think it is a nice, quick read and can be very touching. It is written very colloquially, which can be difficult to read at times and sometimes distracting (though I do see why he has chosen to write this way).

As many others here, I did think the introduction was a bit pompous, but the tone settles down as you get into the book. Mainly, however, I did enjoy learning more about his life and how the message is always the same - that Christ's power shines through even in the darkest of
Chade66
This was an interesting book as long as you keep it in context. While I was looking for a book about simplifying Christmas for my family and this wasn't really it, it did have some interesting stories.

One story in particular when he had to decided between finishing grad school and taking a job that was his dream job reminded me of something important. Sometimes you get where you are supposed to go regardless of the pathway you take to get there.
Kari Talbert
Good message. Surprised me with some humor. Appreciated the candor he used to share stories from his life. Thought the last half was better than the 1st but all was worth reading. (Read end of Dec 2013-beginning of Jan 2014)
Mjohnson
Really enjoyed the stories and the perspective on events both biblical and personal to the author. Some of the jokes didn't turn out (you know, the ones that are better said than read) but other elements and moments of dry humor made me laugh out loud. I initially thought the book was a compilation of stories from various people (not sure why) but once I started reading I loved the personal look into Huckabee's life.
Ryan Young
Ex-Governor Huckabee puts on his preacher shoes and takes us for a nice stroll in this comfortable conversational Christmas piece. He just seems so reasonable and approachable. The kind of guy you could really talk to. I was an early supporter of his Presidential campaign and thought he really made a connection with a broad segment of America. Thanks to Joshua for the lovely Christmas gift!
Katie Christian
Hmm... I'm not sure how to feel about this book. There wasn't exactly anything all that interesting in Mr. Huckabee's stories, but I do truly enjoy memoirs. I think I may have gotten more out of the non-Christmas anecdotes than I did from his holiday tales. He definitely told a couple interesting and/or entertaining moments from his past, so I give him points for that.
Tim Chavel
I am a huge Huckabee fan! I wish he would have run for President this year. This book is more of a biography than a Christmas book. Even though most of the events center around the Christmas season. One quote from the book I would like to leave with you is found on page 103, "True faith is forged in the furnace, not the showroom."
Mary Ann
Fun read! Huckabee reminds us that "God continues to speak to us through simple things that no amount of money can buy" like the original Christmas- Christ's birth. I enjoyed all of the stories. Some were touching,others instructive and all were humorous. I am impressed with the humility, insight and humor that shines in his reminiscing.
Jackie
Not fictional stories but actually stories from his life. Nice memories and some interesting info about Huckabee. Didn't know that while he was governor of Arkansas he was in a rock band that opened for bands like Grand Funk Railroad, 38 Special, and the Charlie Daniels Band. The stories vary from serious to amusing.
Niki
This book was great to read and interesting to find out more about Mike Huckabee's life. It helps me think about the more important things during the Christmas season. It seemed a little more like a memoir of Mike Huckabee's life with some Christmas stories weaved in. He has been through some amazing things in his life.
Minervaking
This is a collection of stories from the governor's life from his childhood to his run to the presidential nomination. These life events happened around Christmas and they all taught him personal lessons. Some stories were funny, some sad and some joyous, but they all gave insight to his background and character.
Lu
I like the sense of humor throughout the book, his sensative side also comes out totally out of love, not sissified. And the saying from a movie fits it perfectly.. "less is more". Love is what makes the world go around anyway, not stuff. He's got my vote again if he runs for office somewhere down the road.
Karen
I wanted to love this book. I was ready to read some heartwarming Christmas stories, a la "Chicken Soup" type. Alas, this is just a very basic autobiography, where some of the chapters happen to line up at Christmas time. It wasn't badly written but not very interesting overall.
  • The Red Suit Diaries: A Real-Life Santa on Hopes, Dreams, and Childlike Faith
  • Prayers of a Stranger: A Christmas Journey
  • Touching Wonder: Recapturing the Awe of Christmas
  • The Christmas Child: A Story of Coming Home
  • When Mother Was Eleven-Foot-Four: A Christmas Memory
  • Christmas Jars Reunion
  • Angels in the Snow
  • The Case for Christmas: A Journalist Investigates the Identity of the Child in the Manger
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • A Family for Christmas
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • Christmas on Jane Street: A True Story
  • The True Gift: A Christmas Story
  • Stories Behind the Best-Loved Songs of Christmas
  • Twas the Night Before: A Love Story
  • Finding Christmas: Stories of Startling Joy and Perfect Peace
  • Freedom's Stand
  • The Prayer Chest: A Novel About Receiving All of Life's Riches
American politician and a political commentator for Fox News Channel. A member of the Republican Party,

Huckabee served as governor of the U.S. state of Arkansas from 1996 to 2007 and finished second in the 2008 United States Republican presidential primaries; he announced his candidacy on January 28, 2007. Following losses to John McCain in the Texas, Ohio, Vermont, and Rhode Island primaries, Mc
More about Mike Huckabee...
Do the Right Thing: Inside the Movement That's Bringing Common Sense Back to America A Simple Government: Twelve Things We Really Need from Washington (and a Trillion That We Don't!) Quit Digging Your Grave with a Knife and Fork: A 12-Stop Program to End Bad Habits and Begin a Healthy Lifestyle Character Makes a Difference: Where I'm From, Where I've Been, and What I Believe From Hope to Higher Ground: 12 Stops to Restoring America's Greatness

“True faith is forged in the furnace, not the showroom.” 4 likes