Start by marking “Greetings From Jamaica, Wish You Were Queer” as Want to Read:
Greetings From Jamaica, Wish You Were Queer

Greetings From Jamaica, Wish You Were Queer

Published November 1st 2006 by Bywater Books

To ask other readers questions about Greetings From Jamaica, Wish You Were Queer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greetings From Jamaica, Wish You Were Queer

Torn by Amber LehmanThe God Eaters by Jesse HajicekSwordspoint by Ellen KushnerMikey and the Chickadee by Kid BoiseShe's My Dad by Iolanthe Woulff
Interesting LGQBT Books I'd Love To Read
53rd out of 79 books — 84 voters
Lover Undercover by Samanthe BeckHeart Mate by Robin D. OwensA Veil of Glass and Rain by Petra MarchA Christmas Bride by Mary BaloghSweet Lullaby by Lorraine Heath
Romantic Gestures
20th out of 59 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Derus
Jan 03, 2016 Richard Derus rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.25* of five

The Book Report: Marie Santora comes from a volatile Italian family. But when she inherits her grandmother’s estate and everyone turns nice and caring, Marie knows it’s time to hit the road to Los Angeles, but not before one final family vacation.

In Jamaica, Marie meets the woman who could change her life. But will she even talk to Marie after her family tells one too many of Marie’s secrets? Don’t miss this hilarious tale of lesbian love and family togetherness run amok.

Gre
Penny
Mar 09, 2015 Penny rated it really liked it
This is one of those stories that walks a fine line between amusement and nonsense.

I quite liked Marie's narrative. She is a delightful character: while neurotic, she has those truly amazing lapses of sweetness. She's like a mix of Bridget Jones with Liz Lemon, if those two were italians and lesbians

Speaking of italians, Marie's family, which constitutes most of the list of secondary characters, is also great. They are balanced enough not to deviate too much from the main plot, but at the same
Heidi
Jul 13, 2012 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian, comedy
This book actually made me laugh out loud! Some may say the story is a bit farfetched, but it's so entertaining, fun, sweet, exciting, crazy, ... that it really doesn't matter. I loved reading this book and I just could't put it down.
Bywater Books
May 22, 2009 Bywater Books rated it it was amazing
Lambda Literary Award Finalist.

Climb aboard this hilarious roller-coaster ride where Marie is left wishing "out" was the new "in", and where every lounge chair is a hot seat when the Santora family ventures this close to the equator. The island of Jamaica just may not be big enough...
Natazzz
Jul 13, 2012 Natazzz rated it really liked it

It was a fun read. Finished it in one day. I thought the storyline was a little unbelieveble, but it kept me entertained. It was rather funny, with lots of light drama and a great love story thrown in the mix.
Mari Sangiovanni
Mar 21, 2013 Mari Sangiovanni rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Like I'm going to give my own book anything less than a great review? I THINK NOT!!! Would love to hear from you if you enjoyed the book (not so much if you didn't ;) and please, if you dare, come back for part two of the crazy saga in the sequel: CAMPTOWN LADIES
qrbooks
Nov 07, 2016 qrbooks rated it really liked it
F/F romance

Witty and family-centered screwball comedy...

Why hasn't the script for this one been turned into a film? Because, damn. Guaranteed good time! It definitely plays out like a movie in your head.

Moreover, this one is mainstream appealing because fun and lovable characters, a witty narrative voice, and a sweet romance will cross all boundaries every time. Like the queer edition of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Italian style. Same kooky madcap family chaos with a sweet romance tied in
Yvonne
Jun 20, 2009 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Mari's book is such a hoot!

I recently read this hilarious book by Mari SanGiovanni. I knew from the title Greetings from Jamaica Wish You were Queer this book was going to be funny and that it would probably challenge the mindset of some more traditional folks.

While the story seems to be an autobiography of the author's life, I still can't say for sure if all these crazy things actually happened to Mari. She might have been awarded millions of dollars in the settlement of her grandmother's estat
Megan
Jul 23, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
Now this is a madcap romp that runs into the realm of farce without falling into absurdity. SanGiovanni keeps the humour and plot flowing at a great pace and it did make me laugh aloud. The narrator, Marie Santora, inherits her grandmother’s fortune and it changes her life – whether for the better is to be determined. She and her siblings decide to placate their dysfunctional family to Jamaica for a family vacation to soften them up before they tell them how the money will be divided. In the ...more
Anita Macauslan
Jan 22, 2014 Anita Macauslan rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
It took me a while to get into the book, but I liked it just enough to keep me going until I was hooked. Not really my thing, but I definitely got a few chuckles out of it. I think the trick for me was to let the voice become that of a NJ Italian woman, then it was a lot easier to suspend disbelief and just enjoy the story and all its exaggerated characters. The one criticism I can give that has little to do with personal taste, is that the protagonist's love interest (I'm being as vague as ...more
Kurt
Aug 10, 2015 Kurt rated it liked it
There are some very funny moments in the banter of Marie, the main character, and her brother and sister, both excellent side characters after Marie is bequeathed a lot of money from a grandmother. The character is allowed to explore her eccentricities, to the extreme, with this new found wealth, be a stalker an actress, buy a house in Cali, and take her family to Jamaica, all of them. With her subsequent romance, I was less enthralled but the book was an enjoyable, funny, quick read and I ...more
Nicole
Oct 15, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
THis book had some really funny parts, which were easy and entertaining to read. The 'romance' part however was very strained, and almost seemed like it was written by a different author. The two themes- romance and comedy- seemed in conflict with each other, as if the styles didn't sync very well together. I think I would enjoy more writing by this author, but without pushing too hard in an area that she clearly didn't feel as comfortable writing-- meaning the actual kiss-face, lets get it on ...more
Rinu
May 24, 2012 Rinu rated it did not like it
A fanfic released commercially. The plot is tedious, characters lack more complex personalities, are rather stereotypical (hateful yet lustful ex-gf, doofus protagonist, "yay-go-for it, sista" sibling, etc.) and are "humorously" clumsy too often.

If you like this, you'll probably like Alix & Valerie too. These two books have many things in common.
Lisa
Aug 13, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok
Cute, funny, romantic and a fast read. This is apparently Mari's debut novel. However, there also appear to be two other titles that were never published? Story is charming, but stereotypical characters subtract with their overreaching antics. I found several areas that ran long and others too short. Worthy of a light, summer beach read. Hoping Camptown Ladies, Mari's second (third, fourth??) shows deeper character development. If nothing else, it promises to be mindless fun.
Perry
Jul 21, 2008 Perry rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
I would definitely recommend this book as a great, fun read. I did laugh out loud, especially in the first few chapters. I'm kind of a hard grader, so unless it is Sarah Waters quality or I stay up way too late reading a book, most of my ratings won't go beyond four stars. Comedy is hard (especially to write), and this author did a great job. I'll be looking forward to reading her next one.
Christy Stewart
SanGiovanni get's a 5 star rating just for the fact she doesn't have to force sarcasm and wit. That's one in a million. For writing loveable characters that don't even annoy ME? Give her a, I don't know, what's an award for books? Emmy?

Give her that.

Also, the book was sweet and romantic.
Jeanne
Jan 09, 2012 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
funny, smart, entertaining. a rare book in lesbian fiction that SUCCESSFULLY mixes humor, romance, and story telling. ya know often the humor falls short or not much back story. drags a bit sometimes in middle but few books don't. will definitely read this again. I strongly related to main character and still trying to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :)
Sandy
May 03, 2013 Sandy rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, les-romance
I wasn't sure about this one at the beginning. It was a bit of over-the-top Italian family farce. It got better as it went on, especially after they got to Jamaica. The humor felt forced sometimes. I'd say it's a good beach read.
Linh Nguyen
Aug 03, 2015 Linh Nguyen rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, romance
I love this kind of romance: sweet, light-hearted and fucking hilarious. I just adore Marie for all her weirdness (god bless her imaginations), her bravery and devotion toward the people she loves. It was no surprise that I finished this book in less than a day.
Maria Ciletti
Oct 29, 2012 Maria Ciletti rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was a joy to read and funny in all the right places. Being from a Italian family, I could definetly relate to the main character. I highly recomend this book and look forward to reading the author's next book.
Shannon
Dec 24, 2007 Shannon rated it really liked it
When a book tells you your going to laugh out loud while reading it, I never believe them...but, I have to say that there were moments when laughter escaped my mouth. Overall it was just another cheesy lesbian book but, totally worth my time...being a cheesy lesbian and all myself.
Linda
Nov 24, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Being from an Italian family myself, I could relate easily to some of these family dynamics... A fun and easy read, with some truly laugh out loud antics. Thanks Mari!
Kathleen
Feb 16, 2009 Kathleen rated it it was ok
it was an okay read. But I found myself skipping paragraphs (irrelevant to the plot) to just get to the end and see what happens.
Debbie
Feb 29, 2008 Debbie rated it it was amazing
I think it was great. It definately gave an understanding picture of how hard it can be for one not to be out. I also enjoyed that the family was involved in the story.
Ulla
Jul 27, 2011 Ulla rated it really liked it
This novel is a rarity . . . a really funny book from beginning to end, well written, well thought out. I recommend; it cheered me up tremendously.
Kim Taylor-Blakemore
Jul 17, 2013 Kim Taylor-Blakemore rated it really liked it
Very very funny. Great dialogue and characterization of all the members of a lovable and crazy Italian family!
Susanne
May 25, 2014 Susanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: ff-fiction
What a great read! This is a romance story but so funny; great characters, witty dialogues and funny scenes.... If you like this story, you'll like the sequel.
Mary Griggs
Mary Griggs rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2007
Samantha Begeman
Samantha Begeman rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Mostly Lesfic: Greetings from Jamaica, Wish You Were Queer 22 47 Mar 22, 2013 05:22AM
  • None So Blind
  • Turn Back Time
  • Barring Complications
  • Backwards to Oregon
  • Keepers of the Cave
  • The Magazine of Bizarro Fiction (Issue One)
  • Eat Your Heart Out