Start by marking “The Children of Cthulhu” as Want to Read:
The Children of Cthulhu

The Children of Cthulhu

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  1,803 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Descend to the depths of primal horror with this chilling collection of original stories drawn from H. P. Lovecraft’s shocking, terrifying, and eerily prescient Cthulhu Mythos. In twenty-one dark visions, a host of outstanding contemporary writers tap into our innermost fears, with tales set in a misbegotten new world that could have been spawned only by the master of the ...more
Published January 16th 2009 by Del Rey (first published April 29th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Children of Cthulhu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Children of Cthulhu

Perry Lake
Jun 17, 2015 Perry Lake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of these stories are just great and they unquestioningly deserve five stars. Sadly, several of them do not. In fact it's overly obvious that the authors of several stories were only familiar with the CoC RPGs, and had possibly never read anything by Lovecraft!

Amongst the very best are "Details" by China Mieville and "Principles and Parameters" by Meredith L. Patterson. And really, most of the stories aren't bad.
Padraig MacIain
Jun 12, 2007 Padraig MacIain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories set in the Mythos of H.P. Lovecraft. All the stories are powerful, intense and explore the entire possibilities of the Mythos without returning to areas already explored by Lovecraft himself.

Well worth having for the Lovecraft fan. May not fare well for other readers that don't enjoy the Mythos though.
Peggy
Aug 14, 2007 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a confession to make. I am not a huge H.P. Lovecraft fan. I've read his stories (and the stories of innumerable pastiche-ists and pretenders), and I understand his importance and influence on other writers. He's just not my cuppa tea, is all. So when the time came around to review this collection, I was a little apprehensive. As it turns out, I needn't have worried. The Children of Cthulhu is a stellar collection, well worth the time and effort of reading it.

At it's best, in stories like
Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 Nancy Oakes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the goal of the book was to follow in Lovecraft's original direction: "the true horror in Lovecraft’s fiction lies in the unknowable, the mystery of a vast and infinitely strange cosmos." They did not want pastiches, they did not want copycat writing or the rehashing of Cthulhu stories based largely on the mythos of August Derleth. This is a concept that I am myself just beginning to understand. Anyway, the stories that appear in this volume, as in any anthology, are a mixed bag -- but most of t ...more
Nick
Mar 07, 2012 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic
Very uneven mix of stories using the mythos of Lovecraft. Knowledge of at least some of Lovecraft's stories is a must for total understanding of anhy one of the stories. A great deal of the point of the stories is the "wink, wink" allusions to Lovecraftian stories, meaning that comedy comes to the forefront a lot of the time. When good writers tackle Lovecraft this usually happens, because Lovecraft was so unintentionally comical in his own stuff.
Moudry
Nov 05, 2014 Moudry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Miéville & Cardin entries are worth the cost of the entire anthology, & represent the best extension of Lovecraft's influence.
Marsha Altman
Aug 20, 2012 Marsha Altman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I think this is the best Lovecraftian fanfiction anthology by far. A lot of them are hit-or-miss and this one is overwhelmingly hits. I don't know why - good editor, I guess.
Riju Ganguly
A solid collection of horror stories, but some of the authors have tried too hard and too unconvincingly to make the stories mythos-oriented. Good, but not great.
Dan J
Dec 21, 2016 Dan J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
While a couple of the tales were not completely to my liking, the variety and excellent writing shine through with enough horror to make the whole collection worthwhile. A few of these have introduced me to authors I definitely want to see more from.
Harris
A slightly uneven collection of modern Lovecraftian stories, “Children of Cthulhu” has some interesting takes on Cthulhu Mythos tales set in the modern world. There are a few really good, atmospheric stories here, tales that react to Lovecraft’s concepts of cosmic horror through a modern lens, that challenge and explore how this particular blend of horror is still relevant (after all, Lovecraft wrote through the lens of his own contemporary time). The majority, on the other hand, do not go too f ...more
Clint
Apr 27, 2013 Clint rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had to quit after the first seven stories. I haven't read any Lovecraft, but this book has not convinced me that I'm missing out. Because that was the common thread that I felt turned me off -- even when the content of the stories was interesting, the prose and structure turned me off. Of course, at least two of the stories I read were just outright bad.
Tyler Anderson
There are some good stories here, including one by China Mieville, which also shows up in his Looking for Jake short story collection. People that are fiddling around in the post-Lovecraft world will enjoy this book, even if it doesn't change many lives.
Kevin
Jun 17, 2009 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple of really good stories, a couple of GREAT stories, one story that I didn't understand why it was in here (but then again, I don't really enjoy Poppy Z. Brite under most circumstances), AND I know one of the eidtors, in an internet kind of way.
Robert Bogdon
There were a few good stories in here, but not enough. On top of that, I like when horror and science overlap a bit, which didn't seem to be happening in this book. If you're just looking for horror, and you're a big fan of Lovecraft, I'm sure this is a fine book.
Ignacio Energici
Jun 21, 2012 Ignacio Energici rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustó bastante. Son cuentos basados en lo que Lovecraft creó, no en reinvenciones, de todo un poco.
Frederick Hemker
A very decent effort. Some of the stories are more atmospheric than plot driven efforts, but otherwise good short stories that follow and expand on the Lovecraftian tradition.
Paul Elessar Caceres
A good collection on different authors' take on the Lovecratian mythos. Some, I felt, were more faithful to Lovecraft's style and lore than others but all in all it's a good anthology.
James Van Pelt
Aug 18, 2015 James Van Pelt rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Tanja Barudzija radosavac
Tanja Barudzija radosavac rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2012
Jo-Dee Richards
Jo-Dee Richards rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2013
Alison Scott
Alison Scott rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2013
Ecksearoh
Ecksearoh rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2012
David Hatch
David Hatch rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2016
Moforester
Moforester rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2012
محمد رحمي
محمد رحمي rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Farrell
Farrell rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2014
Michael R.
Michael R. rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2013
Jerry Noble
Jerry Noble rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2012
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
D.R. Hucke
D.R. Hucke rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
  • The New Lovecraft Circle
  • Nameless Cults: The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Fiction of Robert E. Howard
  • New Cthulhu: The Recent Weird
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror
  • Cthulhu 2000
  • The Book of Cthulhu
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • Lovecraft Unbound
  • The Taint and Other Novellas
  • New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Dark Gods
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
I'm a writer with over 30 professional short story sales, plus was co-editor of the Bram Stoker award finalist anthology THE CHILDREN OF CTHULHU for Del Rey Books; most recently I've done some Doctor Who work for Big Finish Productions. I've managed vinyl record shops, video game stores and apartment complexes. I live in Phoenix, Arizona, where I enjoy a good and happy life with my wife and stepda ...more
More about Benjamin Adams...