Start by marking “Biggest, Strongest, Fastest” as Want to Read:
Biggest, Strongest, Fastest

Biggest, Strongest, Fastest

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  51 reviews
The biggest snake, the anaconda, can swallow a deer or goat whole. The smallest mammal, the Etruscan shrew, could easily sleep in a teaspoon. In a striking full-color collage, each spread of Biggest, Strongest, Fastest portrays an animal that stands out in the animal world as the largest, slowest, longest lived. Readers can see the animal's size in relation to something fa ...more
Published March 27th 1995 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Biggest, Strongest, Fastest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biggest, Strongest, Fastest

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
The pages of this interesting picture book describe some of the record holders in the animal world like the strongest and the smallest. This is kind of two books in one. The first is simple sentences describing the record and the creature such as "The smallest bird is the bee hummingbird." reading the book like this is appropriate for really little children who don't have the attention span for more text. But on each page is another couple of sentences that give more information as well as a sil ...more
Aska
In this book, Steve Jenkins uses his signature collage to illustrate his informational text. Children learn about the record holders of the animal world. He uses his colors for the background wisely to contrast with the featured animals. Instantly, as you turn the pages, animals pop out from the plain background. Some of the background paper looked like washi paper which is a traditional paper made by fibers from the bark of a tree. It creates a rough texture, which effectively depicts a sense ...more
Brenda Engelhardt
I loved this very simple picture book that explains about some extreme animals using cut paper collage. The size of each animal is compared to a human at the bottom right of each page and includes weights and measurements. The book could be a simple research book for younger children. It could help students understand size and shape. For older children, the book offers interesting content for understanding weights and measurements.

Finally this could be aa wonderful book to teach the concept of
Jessica Schwartz
I grew up reading Steve Jenkins' science picture books and still enjoy them. This informational text is filled with beautifully drawn pictures of different animals accompanied by truly interesting facts. All of these facts pertain to the world records held by the animals. For example, the first animal drawn is an elephant which we now know is the biggest land animal. What I really like about this picture book is that on each page, the fact is elaborated on even more in almost a foot note style. ...more
Robert
This book presents a variety of animals and what superlative feat it is known for. Cheetah is the fast, African elephant largest land animal, land snail is the slowest, etc.

It is a short but interesting read. The accompanying illustrations are complementary. A solid book.

I think I shall use this when I teach superlatives this year.
Kathryn Brunk
This books graphics reminds me of Eric Carle because they are collages. The content in this book is science and nature. It describes animals that are big, fast and strong. There are many interesting facts in the book about the different animals. This book gives a great understanding through the descriptions of the animals of how fast, strong and big the animals are. As a class we could create a comparison chart of things that are relatable to these animals and their characteristics (like cars, b ...more
Brandi
Biggest, Strongest, Fastest is a very adaptable book for younger elementary grades. This nonfiction picture book is all about extreme animals. Which animal is the tallest? What about the smallest? Fastest? Slowest? This book has all the answers to these questions and more. Within these 32 pages I learned several facts about the animal kingdom, some of which awed me and some gave me shivers and goose bumps. Any kid who loves learning about animals will enjoy this very readable book.
Teachers cou
Becky B
Animal loving kids will devour this picture book. It relates in brief text information about animal record holders and tries to put it in terms kids can understand (like if a 5.5ft woman had the same jumping skills as a flea she could leap on top of a 65 story building in one bound). The illustrations are colorfully done in a collage style that catches the eye. There is a chart in the back with further information on each animal.

I wish that there were one clarifying statement that these are the
Cemeread
Steve Jenkins titles are good at letting us know exactly what the book is about. Each of the animals presented holds the record for one of the words in the title or it has the opposite record (smallest or slowest). The animal is illustrated with a simple sentence stating it's record. A small aside on the page shows a comparison both is words and illustration. A final page list each animal, its record, size, diet and range in chart form.

preschool- third grade
Catherine
Nov 15, 2010 Catherine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Animal Lovers
Shelves: picture-books
Published 1995.

This is one of several cool nonfiction books by Steve Jenkins. Typically, we think of an informational book containing photographs, charts, diagrams, etc. Jenkins creates the illustrations of animals in this book with cut-paper collage. So it has the aesthetic enjoyment of a fun picture book combined with the awesome facts about the biggest, fastest, longest animals. I also really like the tiny images for each animal that show how it compares to humans. My favorite fact was about
Emily Miller
This nonfiction book by Steve Jenkins would be great to use in an elementary classroom when learning about comparing and contrasting. Each page has great illustrations, facts, and even small diagrams with more specific information about the animal. I think the facts are easy to comprehend for younger students. This would be a great book to use when introducing the genre of nonfiction.
Cami
This book was really cute. I really like the artwork that is in it. This book would be good for teaching kids how to research animals, and it would be interesting for kids to know which animals are the biggest, smallest, strongest, weakest, etc. I would recommend this for any animal unit that a teacher is doing.
Julia Jasztal
(Mommy's review from 5/12)

We read a book by this author last week and both really liked it so I ordered a few of his other books that looked interesting from the library. This is perfect for young animal lovers who like facts and records but don't have the patience to sit through anything more in depth. I learned a few things myself. For instance, I had no idea that the blue whale is larger than any dinosaur that ever lived.)
I liked the little chart on each page showing how the animals size rel
Spencer
The illustration style was pretty cool. I liked how it had the normal dialogue and then cool facts about the different animals. I thought it would be interesting facts for parents to teach children. It was short but covered some unique animals.
Alyssa
The thing I loved most about this book were the comparisons of the animals to humans. You can talk about how much bigger, faster, or stronger animals are, but the comparisons really made it seem real.
Rebekah
Interesting animal facts for children. Granted I learned a few tid bits myself also. The record holding animals for biggest, strongest, smallest, fastest, slowest, longest are talked about.
Ashley Whiteley
The pictures are cut-out paper collages. A great learning book that all kids would enjoy. It is full of color and you cant help but keep reading. There are a lot of interesting facts.
Karen
This was full of really interesting facts. I did not know that all these animals held the top spots with being either the fastest, biggest, strongest.
Jane
Another great science read-aloud. The illustration in the corner comparing a human (or human hand) to the creature being described helped to give perspective.
Alise Durkota
This book is fantastic in that it is great for all elementary levels!

k-2nd (Math/ suffixes) -est: In math this book could indirectly be used to talk about math words that we use to organize information smallest, largest, biggest. ect. In the literacy development real it could be used to talk about suffixes and what they to to a word.

3rd-5th (Science/ Literacy Development): This book holds many interesting facts abot the animals in our world. But the more powerful way that it could be used is to
Dolly
Apr 16, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read several books by Steve Jenkins and we enjoy the mixture of collage illustrations with fascinating information. This story focuses on the extreme abilities and physical characteristics of various animals. The narrative is short and the facts are eye opening.

Our girls really liked the comparison of the animals to the size of a human or other familiar objects (like a teaspoon). We really enjoyed reading this book together and we will certainly look for more of his books at our local lib
Good nonfiction book to read aloud to young children.
Tortla
Very Eric Carle. Simple, informative, and nice to look at.
Jordyn Mcleod
Biggest, Strongest, Fastest has landscape style images. The illustrations are full-bleed and are also double-page spread.Each background image is a different color and texture. I found it very interesting that the text was made simple for young kids to understand, but that there was also facts explaining each animal throughout the book. The very last page is a summary of each animal and it's facts. The illustrations of the animals look as if they are created by multiple pieces of paper and were ...more
Autumn Yoon
This book is great for facts on animals. There is a small section on each page that allows you to compare these animals to humans, and that was super interesting and students had a lot of fun with that. The book focuses on the largest, smallest, and fastest animals, hence the title of the book. This book would be great for a lesson on commas, adjectives, and science (animals). This would be a great book for grades 1-2.
Ali Hembree
I would use this as a non-fiction science book to teach different talents are and what makes them so special. Used in grades kindergarten through second grades, the students will be able to understand that each animal is different and that they all are good at a particular task.

I could also use this in an English class to show students how to be descriptive and use a variety of language when writing a paper.
Katie Williams
A book about different animals and they physical characteristics. It compares their sizes to that of other animals or objects. Students in class could measure their own height and compare it to items around the school that are bigger or smaller than them. They can measure those items and write a math story about it. For example, I am four feet tall. The door is three times as tall as me. How tall in the door?
Heidi
Grades Preschool-3
Jenkins explores the superlatives of the animal kingdom through cut-paper collage, short sentences, and captions that compare the attribute to a human's, complete with scale silhouettes of, for instance, a giraffe and a human standing side-by-side. This is the perfect format for young readers in that it reads like a picture book, but contains more information to support growing curiosity.
Jamie
Fun author/illustrator that makes lots of books about animals. His illustrations are created by paper piecing and they are very cool! This book shares the record breakers of the animal world: largest, fastest, oldest, etc. I also liked how he included a small silhouette comparison of the animal to a human.
Shannon
Steve Jenkins is brilliant. The only reason I can think of that he hasn't won a Caldecott yet is that he's consistently brilliant and people maybe hold him to a higher standard. I love that this book is so interesting, but the text is still accessible -- this is a nonfiction book almost all of my students can read.
  • Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Lives
  • Feathers: Not Just for Flying
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • A Drop Of Water: A Book of Science and Wonder
  • Frogs
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Hello Baby!
  • Move!
  • Bird Talk: What Birds Are Saying and Why
  • Living Sunlight: How Plants Bring The Earth To Life
  • Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way by Land, Sea, and Air
  • Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11
What Do You Do With a Tail Like This? Actual Size The Beetle Book Bones: Skeletons and How They Work Down, Down, Down: A Journey to the Bottom of the Sea