Start by marking “The Nightmarys” as Want to Read:
The Nightmarys

The Nightmarys

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,702 Ratings  ·  235 Reviews
Timothy July has been having nightmares. About his brother, who is in a coma after being wounded in Iraq; about his best friend, Stuart, who is behaving like a jerk; about the old biology specimens in jars lining the walls of his classroom; and about Abigail, the new girl who seems to be a magnet for trouble. Or perhaps she is the cause.

Suddenly Timothy’s nightmares are co
Published August 24th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Nightmarys, please sign up.

Sgibs At least 12 years old. It's a mix of horror, mystery, friendship, relationship, betray, and more. It is an amazing book but not for young kids at all.

Missie
Aug 13, 2010 Missie rated it liked it

I'm really struggling to know what to say about this book. Although the cover art (which totally drew me in) and even the book title are rather intriguing, I really can't say I felt the same way about the story. Maybe it would have resonated better with its target audience, but I've read many a YA book before, and I can't quite place my finger on why I found this book to be rather drabbish.

The book summary pretty much tells you all you need to know. Two mi
Robert Kent
Sep 02, 2010 Robert Kent rated it it was amazing
the big question: Is Dan Poblocki’s The Nightmarys scary or not? You tell me:

A little after midnight, she awoke to a soft tapping on glass. Before she even opened her eyes, Abigail feared what she would see at the window--two faces, smiling at her.

Timothy screamed and fell backward, landing halfway down the stairs. He watched, paralyzed, as a thin brown arm reached through the broken window for the lock. Its skeletal fingers turned the knob, and slowly, the front door creaked open.

The corpse st
Arminzerella
Anne
This is a great children's (10 to 14 year old?) horror story!
While it is definitely geared toward a younger audience, there were a few creepy scenes in it that gave me some nice little chills.

Parents Beware!
If you have a kid who has trouble sleeping, because they think something is going to get them as soon as the lights go out, this may not be the wisest choice in literature. I'm just saying...
Lori
Mar 27, 2011 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011march
The Nightmarys terrified my 10-year-old. She read portions of the book aloud to me, and literally yanked the book I was reading out of my hands to force this one on me.

Unfortunately, meh.

I can see why the creepy bits bothered her. But I can't wait till she's old enough to tackle some real horror.
Audrey
Jul 17, 2012 Audrey rated it really liked it
"Your father's journal was in the safe?" said Abigail.

"I slipped it into my coat pocket when that librarian wasn't looking," said Jack. "No one ever suspects the old man." He winked. "We get away with so much."

Synopsis: In the fine John Bellairs tradition of Old Men Are Fucking Dangerous, Y'All, an old man kidnaps children in Massachusetts and Shirley Jackson arm-wrestles Michael McDowell to get them back.

Bear with me on this.

I started talking about John Bellairs' theme of Crazy Old Men Will De
Holly
I've been reading a lot of middle grade horror/ghost stories lately and Dan Poblocki's books looked right up my alley. You have to admit - the cover art is pretty amazing. Unfortunately, the story itself...wasn't so much.

Even if I haven't been thrilled with all of them, almost all of the middle grade books I've been reading lately have been fairly well-written (and some were crafted extremely well). The Nightmarys had really bad writing, in my opinion, and that was the main problem with this boo
Mark Miller
Jul 09, 2011 Mark Miller rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed The Nightmarys by Dan Poblocki.

While not exactly a sequel, this book far exceeds its predecessor, The Stone Child. The author manages to create a more intriguing story set on a richer canvas with deeper, more realized characters.

This is intended to be a middle-grade or young adult story, but it kept my attention throughout. I even related to the emotions and thoughts of the main character, Timothy July. Timothy is well-rounded and the reader is able to connect with him. The
Eileen Lepetit
Oct 05, 2011 Eileen Lepetit rated it really liked it
It’s late, but you can’t fall asleep. It seems like your parents are having an argument and then you hear a door slam. Hmm; that’s probably not good. Looking around the room, you notice the light in your closet is on - except it wasn’t on when you went to bed. Weird...

Getting up, you move to the door a little reluctantly. Sure; you might have left the light on and forgotten. I mean, there’s a lot of stuff going on in your life right now. Gripping the handle, you pull the door towards you - slowl
Darcus Murray
Oct 18, 2016 Darcus Murray rated it liked it
Shelves: own, paperback
I bought this book a while back at a thrift store, though I had seen it a long time ago on different websites here and there. I knew that The Nightmarys would be a great read come October and when it came time to make my horror TBR for the month, I immediately put it front and center on my list.

The cover of this book has always been super creepy to me and very reminiscent of The Shining. I always wondered who the Nightmarys were and what kind of story they had to tell.

Starting the book, I admit
Joe Vallese
Aug 21, 2011 Joe Vallese rated it it was amazing
Glad I had this creepy little gem to keep me company during Hurricane Irene. Black clouds, thunder, and and ominous wind howls set the mood perfectly for this consistently surprising and action-packed book. If you don't know much of the plot, keep it that way; part of the fun is getting through the first hundred pages or so and wondering how exactly all these seemingly disparate pieces are going to fit together. Once the storylines begin to magnetize and the mystery kicks in full force, you'll b ...more
Cat
Type: book
Genre: Horror
Length/Pages & Reading Level: 366 pages; 12 and up
Publisher/Studio name: Random House
Plot Summary: The story is about seventh-grade Timothy July. He has been having nightmares ever since his brother returned from Iraq in a coma. Timothy meets Abigail and during a school museum trip his nightmares begin to haunt his waking life. Abigail confesses to have the same problem and explains who the nightmary
Kate
Timothy is forced to work with the new girl at school, Abigail, on a school project involving an old artifact at the local museum when some weird things begin to happen. He sees a creepy old man, his friend Stuart is seeing monsters, and Abigail sees two ghostly girls she calls the Nightmarys. Timothy and Abigail try to unravel the mystery, at the heart of which is an old mystery novel that appears to be about Abigail's grandmother.

The concept behind this sounded super creepy, so I was a bit dis
Amy
Aug 19, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok
I thought I would like this book, I like horror movies and scary stories and the cover is sure plenty creepy . . . but you can't judge a book by it's cover. The mystery and friendship at the core of this book is interesting enough to keep you reading, but the book is a good 10 chapters too long. The author needed to either end it sooner or save revealing all the pieces of the mystery for longer. In the end it was no longer suspenseful, rather, it was increasingly hard to suspend my disbelief, ev ...more
Kimberly
Feb 22, 2015 Kimberly rated it liked it
I expected a bit more from this book. There were times I was completely sucked in and had high hopes for it to keep going but it would fall short time and again.
This book is more for a middle school crowd, I expected it to be a bit more mature in certain ways. I give it a 3 stars.
Not spooky enough or rich enough in story line for me.
Samantha Rodriguez
Dec 18, 2014 Samantha Rodriguez rated it liked it
I loved the book. It's title and picture cover are really fascinating. I read this book at night so it really had that creepy affect. It's great though I recieved it as a birthday gift and just had it there on the book shelf. I then picked it up and started reading it, it was really good in my opinion. You should read it if you like scary stuff. I recommend it. (less)
Emily
Dec 15, 2010 Emily rated it it was ok
Interesting plot (maybe a little too scary for a young audience?), but I didn't like the writing as much as I would have hoped. The characters were a little too two-dimensional for my liking and much of the dialogue fell flat.
Cristian Marrero
Feb 29, 2012 Cristian Marrero rated it it was amazing
Excellent continuation to the Stone Child. This is an unofficial sequel and expansion of this vast new scary world that Mr. Poblocki is creating. I hope his third and upcoming book is just as spectacular and quick paced.
Danin Blair
it was a chilling storie

Kyana316
Jul 28, 2012 Kyana316 rated it it was amazing
Omg a thriller!!! Love it
Donna
Dec 10, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it
Stephen King meets Nancy Drew. I REALLY liked it.
Dominik Glathar
Oct 22, 2011 Dominik Glathar rated it it was amazing
Really scary it also ties into the stone child u should read it if u love trills and chills
Sarah Davies
Jul 20, 2015 Sarah Davies rated it liked it
Not as good as expected and quite childlike in writing.
Jadyn
Meh. My least favorite of the three I have read. Still creepy though.
Christopher Vang
This book is a type of book that you can read day or night it is a scary book but once you get into it, it is not actually that scary and then it kind of turns into a mystery type of book. I like this book because it had a lot of problems and thing's that usually happen in a scary movie you could say, but I also like this book because I like how it went from ghost to creature to mythical monsters, and how I like it best is that this mystery turns into a puzzle to solve so like you would need lot ...more
Gabriela
Oct 01, 2013 Gabriela rated it really liked it
Donna
Dec 26, 2011 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, horror
I’ve had this sitting on my shelf for a few years now. I don’t remember where I got it from. I want to say PaperBackSwap but my copy is an ARC so I want to say that’s not accurate but it wouldn’t be the first time someone’s broken that rule on that site before. Since I’m reviewing a pile of horror books for Funtober I slid this one off the shelf and started reading.

I have to say I’m not all that impressed with it. I think it had solid potential, especially based on the blurb, but once the horror
Sydney
Jan 10, 2017 Sydney rated it really liked it
At first when I started reading this book I thought it was going to be the worst book in the world but then after I got more patient with it the book started to get more interesting. It became more scary and interesting. To be honest I closed my eyes in some parts because it was like so scary and I know what your thinking " wow this girls stupid u can't read if your eyes are closed" but I did because I'm just a scardy cat. But I loved this book even though it's like over 300 pages it's still wor ...more
Steph
Jan 02, 2017 Steph rated it really liked it
OK at first this was a slow burn start but after a few chapters this book was one serious roller coaster ride till almost the end. It did end well but the last two chapters were a tad of a let down. Kept it from being 5 stars.
Joshua Kubiak
THE NIGHTMARYS
By Dan Poblocki
Published by First Scholastic printing, September 2011.
Horror
This book was an interesting read. The story is about a boy named Timothy that has lived in a small town his whole life and is partnered up with the new girl in his class for a project. as they start to get to know each other weird things start to happen. He is seeing things that are very out of the ordinary. As the story continues we find that a man is trying to take revenge on the boy and girl for somet
  • The Dead Boys
  • The Hunt for the Seventh
  • Mama's Boy and Other Dark Tales
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • From Cover to Cover: Evaluating and Reviewing Children's Books
  • The House of Dead Maids
  • The Julian Game
  • The Devil's Heart (The Devil, #2)
  • The Brimstone Key (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #1)
  • Breathe: A Ghost Story
  • The Opposite of Invisible
  • Took: A Ghost Story
  • Breathe
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • Saving Sky
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • Fear: 13 Stories of Suspense and Horror
Author of The Stone Child, The Nightmarys, The Ghost of Graylock, and the Mysterious Four series,The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe, and The Book of Bad Things.
More about Dan Poblocki...