Start by marking “It's Not the Big That Eat the Small...It's the Fast That Eat the Slow: How to Use Speed as a Competitive Tool in Business” as Want to Read:

Conventional wisdom once told us big companies are unbeatable... and eat smaller competitors for breakfast.

Not anymore. These days It's Not the Big that Eat the Small... It's the FAST that Eat the Slow!

Jason Jennings and Laurence Haughton discovered what separates today's icons of speed from everybody else.

They asked questions like:

What is the difference between speed an
Published April 16th 2002 by HarperBusiness

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not the Big That Eat the Small...It's the Fast That Eat the Slow

Nick
Feb 03, 2008 Nick rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Blue Ocean Strategy
This is one of the first Audible.com book I bought and also my first business book. Lots of great anecdotes on how large companies get bogged down by bureaucracy, incumbent turtles and bozos, and the absence of rules such as learning from mistakes, implementing innovation, letting the best idea win. One idea from the book (which I see appear elsewhere, and probably did not originate from the book) is what to do when you don't like your job: put up with it, leave, or try to change it. The book do ...more
Ted
Jun 15, 2012 Ted rated it liked it
If you are only mildy curious about the topic, give it a pass. If you really want some good ideas and are going to take a few notes along the way, pick it up.

This is one of those books where the title pretty much tells you the idea. I heard the author a few years ago give a presentation on this topic. Quite frankly, it was a better presentation. The book reads like typical consultant fodder - I will use five businesses as the perfect examples of my ideas and then beat you to death with them.

As
Tab
Jul 04, 2008 Tab rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This is one of my favorite business books and one I've requested employees read. Innovation comes from those companies and individuals who can invent and adapt quickly, change as needed and move at a speed normally not capable by large organizations with heavy bureaucracy. There's a few points within the book that make me scratch my head and question the direction of the author, however these are overshadowed by the overall message.
Kevin
May 08, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it
I've been inspired by it so much I apply it to the context of my small business. This book validates the way I believe great service should be delivered thought It can be tiring to always be moving fast, so this is a point I find we need to decide for ourselves when speed may kill us vs help us.
Anna
Jul 26, 2007 Anna rated it really liked it
it shows the reality....to the fast that eat the slow... just like the rabbit and turtle tale...you know...
Charu Chandna
Charu Chandna rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2014
Isman
Isman rated it really liked it
May 17, 2007
Jason Toschlog
Jason Toschlog rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2012
Casey
Jan 18, 2009 Casey rated it liked it
This is a great book.
Beata
Beata rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Jim Van
Jim Van rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2012
Adrian
Adrian rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Leah Bruce
Leah Bruce rated it it was ok
Sep 09, 2016
Thembi
Thembi rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2016
Mark Brown
Mark Brown rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2012
Sonya Peneva
Sonya Peneva rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Allison Evans
Allison Evans rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Jose
Jose rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2016
Xodarap
Xodarap rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2014
Alica Kiara
Alica Kiara rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Björn
Björn rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2014
Ray
Ray rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2013
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2008
Muzamil
Muzamil rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2016
Mitch Nichols
Mitch Nichols rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2013
lakshmana meka
lakshmana meka rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Moment of Clarity: Using the Human Sciences to Solve Your Toughest Business Problems
  • The Click Moment: Seizing Opportunity in an Unpredictable World
  • Made in the USA: The Rise and Retreat of American Manufacturing
  • Bourgeois Dignity: Why Economics Can't Explain the Modern World
  • Cultural Strategy: Using Innovative Ideologies to Build Breakthrough Brands
  • The End of Competitive Advantage: How to Keep Your Strategy Moving as Fast as Your Business
  • Crystallizing Public Opinion
  • Brilliant, Crazy, Cocky: How the Top 1% of Entrepreneurs Profit from Global Chaos
  • Not Impossible: How a Paralyzed Artist and a Team of Mad Scientists Taught Me How to Change the World
  • Humans Are Underrated: Proving Your Value in the Age of Brilliant Technology
  • Connectography: Mapping the Future of Global Civilization
  • The Wide Lens
  • What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services
  • Resilience: Facing Down Rejection and Criticism on the Road to Success
  • The Idea Hunter: How to Find the Best Ideas and Make Them Happen
  • Group Genius: The Creative Power of Collaboration
  • The Penguin and the Leviathan: How Cooperation Triumphs over Self-Interest
  • Hidden in Plain Sight: How to Create Extraordinary Products for Tomorrow's Customers
Jason Jennings (b. May 31, 1956, Negaunee, Michigan) is the author of the 2001 Harper Collins NY Times bestseller, It's Not The big That Eat The Small - It's The Fast That Eat The Slow, and his subsequent business bestsellers for Penguin Putnam , Less Is More (2004) and Think Big-Act Small (2006).

He began his career as a broadcast journalist and later owned radio stations in Oklahoma, Washington a
More about Jason Jennings...