Start by marking “It's Not the Big That Eat the Small...It's the Fast That Eat the Slow: How to Use Speed as a Competitive Tool in Business” as Want to Read:

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Conventional wisdom once told us big companies are unbeatable... and eat smaller competitors for breakfast.

Not anymore. These days It's Not the Big that Eat the Small... It's the FAST that Eat the Slow!

Jason Jennings and Laurence Haughton discovered what separates today's icons of speed from everybody else.

They asked questions like:

What is the difference between speed and
Published April 16th 2002 by HarperBusiness

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not the Big That Eat the Small...It's the Fast That Eat the Slow

Nick
Feb 03, 2008 Nick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Blue Ocean Strategy
This is one of the first Audible.com book I bought and also my first business book. Lots of great anecdotes on how large companies get bogged down by bureaucracy, incumbent turtles and bozos, and the absence of rules such as learning from mistakes, implementing innovation, letting the best idea win. One idea from the book (which I see appear elsewhere, and probably did not originate from the book) is what to do when you don't like your job: put up with it, leave, or try to change it. The book do ...more
Ted
If you are only mildy curious about the topic, give it a pass. If you really want some good ideas and are going to take a few notes along the way, pick it up.

This is one of those books where the title pretty much tells you the idea. I heard the author a few years ago give a presentation on this topic. Quite frankly, it was a better presentation. The book reads like typical consultant fodder - I will use five businesses as the perfect examples of my ideas and then beat you to death with them.

As
Kevin
I've been inspired by it so much I apply it to the context of my small business. This book validates the way I believe great service should be delivered thought It can be tiring to always be moving fast, so this is a point I find we need to decide for ourselves when speed may kill us vs help us.
Tab
This is one of my favorite business books and one I've requested employees read. Innovation comes from those companies and individuals who can invent and adapt quickly, change as needed and move at a speed normally not capable by large organizations with heavy bureaucracy. There's a few points within the book that make me scratch my head and question the direction of the author, however these are overshadowed by the overall message.
Troy Marshall
this is a great book
Anna
it shows the reality....to the fast that eat the slow... just like the rabbit and turtle tale...you know...
Arie K.
Great book beside Good to Great, need to be quick to grab every opportunities available.
Charlotte
Great book! It's a quick and easy read but also filled with valuable ideas.
Casey
This is a great book.
Jae Hyun Paik
Jae Hyun Paik marked it as to-read
Mohamed Delawer
Mohamed Delawer marked it as to-read
Đào Trang
Đào Trang marked it as to-read
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Siya
Siya marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
J. Schmidt
J. Schmidt marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Sherri Dishon
Sherri Dishon marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
A.C. Faltis
A.C. Faltis marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Erica
Erica is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2015
Adnan
Adnan marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Judy Pham
Judy Pham marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Eren Ulu
Eren Ulu marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Tony
Tony added it
Jan 01, 2015
Clay Bryant
Clay Bryant marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Dato Abzianidze
Dato Abzianidze marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Miss N
Miss N marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Click Moment: Seizing Opportunity in an Unpredictable World
  • Made in the USA: The Rise and Retreat of American Manufacturing
  • Crystallizing Public Opinion
  • The End of Competitive Advantage: How to Keep Your Strategy Moving as Fast as Your Business
  • Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good: The Rebirth of Silicon Valley and the Rise of Web 2.0
  • What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services
  • Hidden in Plain Sight: How to Create Extraordinary Products for Tomorrow's Customers
  • The Wide Lens
  • The Idea Hunter: How to Find the Best Ideas and Make Them Happen
  • Group Genius: The Creative Power of Collaboration
  • The Other Side of Innovation: Solving the Execution Challenge
  • The Plundered Planet: Why We Must--And How We Can--Manage Nature for Global Prosperity
  • Human Accomplishment: The Pursuit of Excellence in the Arts and Sciences, 800 B.C. to 1950
  • Rewire: Digital Cosmopolitans in the Age of Connection
  • The New Capitalist Manifesto: Building a Disruptively Better Business
  • Culturematic: How Reality TV, John Cheever, a Pie Lab, Julia Child, Fantasy Football . . . Will Help You Create and Execute Breakthrough Ideas
  • The $10 Trillion Prize: Captivating the Newly Affluent in China and India
  • The Art Of The Long View:  Planning For The Future In An Uncertain World
Jason Jennings (b. May 31, 1956, Negaunee, Michigan) is the author of the 2001 Harper Collins NY Times bestseller,[1] It's Not The big That Eat The Small - It's The Fast That Eat The Slow,[2] and his subsequent business bestsellers for Penguin Putnam , Less Is More[3] (2004) and Think Big-Act Small[4] (2006).

He began his career as a broadcast journalist and later owned radio stations in Oklahoma,
More about Jason Jennings...
Think Big, Act Small: How America's Most Profitable Companies Keep the Start-up Spirit Alive The Reinventors: How Extraordinary Companies Pursue Radical Continuous Change Less Is More: How Great Companies Use Productivity Hit the Ground Running: A Manual for New Leaders The High-Speed Company: Creating Urgency and Growth in a Nanosecond Culture