A Brief History of Science

A Brief History of Science (Brief History)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  8 reviews
From the gnomons and sundials of ancient times to the 26-kilometer underground particle accelerator of the twenty-first century, this fascinating and enlightening volume by mathematician and anthropologist Thomas Crump shows how science has continually redefined the world's horizons, extended the frontiers of knowledge, and advanced human civilization. With sixteen pages o...more
Published November 13th 2002 by Running Press (first published January 28th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Brief History of Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Brief History of Science

Allysa
Jul 03, 2009 Allysa is currently reading it
So far really good! I want to become a Medicinal Chemist, so this is a good jump start! I usually read Fictional, Mystery, or Sci-Fi. Don't even think about reading this if you don't like science.
Robert Kaufman
Great book. Takes us from earliest scientific footsteps to modern times. Fun exploration.
Chris Dudding
Accessible, entertaining, broad-ranging yet comprehensive one-volume overview of the history of scientific progress from ancient times to its flowering over the past several centuries. The emphasis of the book is on physics and the "hard" sciences leading to our understanding of the underlying workings of the universe -- think Newton, Joule, and Bohr, and not so much Darwin, Watson, and Salk. From the discoveries of the various elements to the counterintuitive interactions of subatomic particles...more
Simon Clare
Very comprehensive and deeper than any general science book I'd read before. Not very well edited - too many typos and repetition between chapters to recommend as a serious work of literature but it did the job and I learned a lot.
Matt Walters
An enjoyable, informative meander through the history of modern science. A bit fragmented and rather opinionated, but neither quality detracts from it. Pulls a thread through the development of schools of thought, sciences, maths and our understanding of the world around us by explaining the progression of the tools of scientists and experimenters - a very enlightening perspective.
Jean
Crump can be a little dry-unless he is writing about astronomy. In that, he covers a lot of interesting material. Anyone who is curious science in general would enjoy this work.
Matt Jarvis
I liked this a lot for the broad overview of science and a look at the instruments and devices that have been developed over the years. Quite an enjoyable read. :)
Heidi

Sections of the book can be difficult to read. I liked that it covered science history from ancient Rome and Greece until now.
Alexandra Kulik
Alexandra Kulik marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Zach Opsitnick
Zach Opsitnick marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Ivy
Ivy marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Denny Mayer
Denny Mayer marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Wilco
Wilco marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
T
T marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
J
J marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Rick Wedgeworth
Rick Wedgeworth marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Francine Harrell
Francine Harrell marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
John Scott
John Scott marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Paul Galloway
Paul Galloway marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Ivor
Ivor marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Robert Coe
Robert Coe is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2014
Degan Walters
Degan Walters marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A Brief History of the Age of Steam A Brief History of How the Industrial Revolution Changed the World Asia-Pacific: A History of Empire and Conflict Abraham Lincoln's World: How Riverboats, Railroads, and Republicans Transformed America The Death of an Emperor: Japan at the Crossroads