Wet Dog!

Wet Dog!

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  25 reviews
On a hot, hot day a good old dog just has to get some relief! Around the steamy country lanes he sniffs and searches until he finds: a chauffeur washing a shiny car, a baker scrubbing some sticky pans, and a florist spraying a pink bouquet. They're all getting ready for a country wedding and this overheated pup just wants to plunge into the fun—and water!But will the weddi...more
Published 2006 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published January 1st 2005)

Kelly
This book is right up Catrow's alley because he puts dogs in nearly every book he illustrates! Even when the repetition gets to be a bit much in the story, Catrow varies each picture of the dog to put him in a different pose or give him a different expression. It's really cute though, and I like how everyone joins in in the water.
Lisa Vegan
This is one of two books that I read today with David Catrow’s illustrations and I am now a huge fan of his art for kids’ books; I’ll be looking for all the books that he’s illustrated.

I love dogs and any child who knows dogs will especially love this book. This is a really terrific read aloud book.
Bridgitte
I love the lyrical quality of this book. My kids choose it at night because it's my favorite. The pictures are great, but the rhythm makes it a great read. I feel myself going into the voice of the Dukes of Hazard narrator.
Jess
Sep 12, 2012 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: K-2
Shelves: z_12, picture-books
Wet dog!

I like this one. One of these years I'm going to get the rhythm of the text. It's there, but I can't get on beat. I'm always half a step off. I'm fairly certain it has something to do with a Southern accent, though.

Using it at school - Great when discussing the importance of both listening to the words and looking at the illustrations to understand the story. As dog looks for a way to cool off, he passes by a fancy car, a cake, a band, flowers, etc. He sees people preparing for a wedding...more
Dolly
Apr 14, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We absolutely adore David Catrow's books - ever since we read I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!, a book he illustrated (written by Karen Beaumont), we have sought out his books at our local library. So we were delighted to find that this one was a collaboration with Elise Broach. Our youngest had done a book report on her story Masterpiece, and is a big fan of hers as well.

This is an entertaining tale about a...wet dog. The repetitive narrative, filled with onomatopoeia, and the hilarious illustratio...more
Emily Bernd
This book is very cute and primary ages would love it! It is funny and an easy story to follow and read.
Lenore
Really liked the pictures in this book but the story seemed to be missing something. My son lost interested.
Snorkle
Well, aside from the total ridiculousness of this book, it was pretty amusing. There were a couple pages where I scoffed at the absurd things the people were doing. I did love the bright and crazy striations of color on the pages though. I might recommend, but probably only to dog-lovers.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Alisande
Borrowed this from the library to read to my dog-enthusiast almost 2-year-old. I was born in the South, but spent a few years away and worked on trying to erase the accent. But this book brings it all home and every time I read it aloud, I am a pure Southern Belle. My children have never heard me sound like this. But for this book, I can take glory in the roll I was born to, in a way I never have before.
Linda
I bought the book because David Catrow would be in town to sign it. It is a delightful story about a dog who keeps trying to cool off in the hot summer, but the people he sees keep shooing him away. Delightful illustrations. The four-year-old I brought it out for had me read it to her TWICE.
Auttumn C
What a fun dog book! This would be a great example of repeated phrases. The moral of this story would be to never loose sight of who you truely are because there will be someone who likes you for you are! This was a fun read aloud for all ages and great pictures too!
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 88318 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.3 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
The Reading Countess
Youngest son enjoyed this title more than I did. Admittedly, it is a cute story about a dog who gets into all sorts of trouble on his journey. At the end, he spoils a fancy wedding, but all guests are delighted by their suprise visitor.
Tiffany Smith
This book is great. The text is sing-songy, which small children absolutely adore. They will definitely chime in when wet dog pat-a-pats down the street and shakey-shakes when he's wet.
Bina
Anyone with a water loving dog will thoroughly enjoy this silly romp. It could be paired with Elbert's Bad Word for a storyhour of garden parties gone bad....
This book is really funny. Students with dogs would really find this funny. The pictures are also really fantasic. This would be a great read-aloud.
Allison
This story has repetition, so it is easy and fun for children to follow along. Students will find the story to be entertaining and funny.
Jadin
A sopping wet, raucous tale about a wet dog at a summer party filled with overheated, blue bloods with their noses in the air. Big Fun!
This story is fun to read-aloud to students. They enjoys hearing about what all the dog goes through to cool off. Great illustrations.
Katie Casey
Such a cute story about an old dog who got hot one day and decided to do something about it. A dog and a baby star.
Becky
Illustrated by the unfailingly hysterical David Catrow. Great read-aloud, participation book (shake like a dog, etc.).
Amy
This book is adorable and fun. I absolutely love the rhythm it creates when you read it out loud.
Jillian
Fun story. The artwork is a but weird, but my four year old liked it.
Lisa
Great, rhythmic read-a-loud. Our favorite this week!
Liz
Liz added it
Jun 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Elise Broach is the New York Times bestselling author of children's books including Masterpiece, Shakespeare's Secret, Desert Crossing, Missing on Superstition Mountain (the first book in the Superstition Mountain Trilogy) as well as several picture books. Her books have been selected as ALA notable books, Junior Library Guild selections, a Publishers Weekly Best Children's Book, a New York Public...more
More about Elise Broach...
Shakespeare's Secret Masterpiece When Dinosaurs Came with Everything Missing on Superstition Mountain (Missing on Superstition Mountain, #1) Desert Crossing