Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)

Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov #2)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  62 reviews
When Finn, a former British spy, is poisoned by a Russian assassin, his ex-boss Adrian, the chief of MI6, wants vengeance. He also wants answers—information that only Finn's widow knows. But Anna, a former KGB colonel who betrayed her country for love, vanished with her child shortly after Finn's death.

Adrian isn't the only one eager to find Anna. Finn accessed intelligenc...more
Published August 3rd 2010 by Ecco (first published September 1st 2009)

William
An almost perfect modern spy novel, filled with a keen understanding of the contemporary environment of Putin's Russia and the United States' self-generated dependance on privatized intelligence companies. The plot is masterful in tying strong characters to its global events, and Anna Resnikov is an excellent embodiment of the modern agent and one who satisfies the need for readers to see heroes driven by goals more human than global. Dryden's novel makes the spy novel relevant to an age that ha...more
Ron
I liked it. Of course, I don't read enough of this type of book to know, but it featured interesting people doing interesting things--only occasionally involving killing one another--in a well-written story. Since only one short scene occurs in Moscow I'm unsure why it was titled that, though it was as much about Russian as British or American intelligence folks.

Since I hadn't read the first book, I didn't know who the protagonist was. It took Dryden a while to get to her.
Rick Skwiot
If today’s international fanatical terrorism makes you nostalgic for the Cold War (never mind the proxy wars in Angola, Viet Nam, Afghanistan, Nicaragua, etc. and the threat of nuclear annihilation), when the U.S., U.K. et al parried with a rational if ruthless U.S.S.R.
then Alex Dryden’s new espionage novel Moscow Sting may be your cup of somewhat tepid tea.

It portrays a new, contemporary Russia now ruled by the KGB and led by a dictatorial and all-powerful Vladimir Putin squaring off against a...more
Michael Klein
I found Dryden's novel to be a bit meandering and with characters I just couldn't really get behind. The most compelling character is one who is dead at the beginning of the novel and whose murder sets much of this novel's plot in motion. Unfortunately we never meet him, just hear about him. (This is Dryden's second novel, and it's quite possible this character, Finn, is the star of his first novel.)

The thing that probably kept me engaged through to the end was the seemingly heavy research Dryde...more
Hock Tjoa
I enjoyed this (as I continue my search for spy thrillers to read). It features somewhat predictable characters--the irresistible ex-KGB colonel, the larger than life founder of a contract intelligence company, the inter-agency (even international) rivalry. But it is superior to much written in this genre: there are nice turns of phrases such as the "sackcloth approach to personal enjoyment." There is much detailed descriptions of the art of following, of evading tails, of interrogation, of the...more
Cheryl
This is a very nice read, reminiscent of LeCarre.

The heroine is a former KGB colonel who defected for love. Now her husband's dead and she has a child to protect.

We follow her as she goes through the usual contortions. Can she trust this man or this woman? Is this person lying, is this place safe? if she does this, what will that mean to the one who has her son? How can she drop a package without giving herself away to the watchers who are always there?

She's a spy one side is trying to use agai...more
Anne
Dr. John Rodgers
Dryden does it again!!!!

For a book written four years ago, the author is definitely pre-existing or clairvoyant. couldn't put it down until I reached the end.
Evanston Public  Library
Former KGB colonel Anna Resnikov is at the center of this suspense story and held my attention as a tough woman clearly at home in a "man's" world. Top American and British spy agencies kidnap her son to force her to cooperate in leading them to another key spy. Dryden designs the plot skillfully, throwing in twists and turns, with characters double-crossing and outmaneuvering each other. The author seems to have authentic knowledge about the politics of spy operations. Pretty good read. Althoug...more
Marti
This was a Free Friday nook book that I enjoyed more as I read. Spies aren't terribly sympathetic characters, unless perhaps they are on our side. The main character is Anna, a former Russian colonel, who has defected. Her husband was killed by a Russian, and she has a two year old son referred to as Little Finn--after his father--who is obviously not the best of circumstances, as he could be kidnapped. Were this to happen, she would do almost anything to get him back safely. She is very well tr...more
Laura Dragon
I really loved the cat and mouse game in this novel. You were never quite sure who was the cat and who was the mouse, it was constantly changing. I loved it all the way up until the end. And then...it just ended. I felt a bit unsatisfied not sure what else I was looking for but the novel didn't feel "finished" to me. Possibly the Author continues these characters else where or maybe the whole point is that there is stuff going on that we don't get to know the truth of. Anyway, it was a good read...more
David Cain
This is a decent spy thriller with a character-oriented plot. The action takes place in an engrossing post-cold war political landscape. Other than the three or four memorable main characters, most of the supporting cast is largely forgettable. Some of the plot seems a bit rushed, but most of the different threads are tied up during the last several chapters. This is the first (and perhaps last) Dryden novel that I've read but I do recommend it for some exciting light reading.
JC
Another one of those books that I've had a hard time getting into. Lots of actiona nd lots going on but I couldn't really pay attention as I would have liked. This caught me at a bad time as well with lots of other distractions going on. This book is an international thriller involving the KGB and the secrets reaching into the highest levels of the Russian government. Interesting idea for sure, but couldn't keep me interested the whole time...
Jo Franz
Fascinating read that I downloaded for free to my new Kindle without knowing much at all about the author (see my review about Red to Black). I read this prior to the original story but found it easy to follow the prior story. However, I recommend reading Red to Black first. This book gives such powerful information about our country's part in the global intelligence community that it leaves me with even more knowledge of our corruption.
Lkelly6
This book is intriguing from the first page. The characters, such as Anna, are true individuals and not model-composites which most authors of thrillers create. When a person reads as much as I do, the reader tires of these same-o, same-o characters. Dryden has created individuals.

I loved the actions, the complex plots, and the places. Since I travel extensively, I recognize most of Dryden's places.

I will read more books by Dryden.
Philip
This was the first book I've read by Dryden. He's actually a decent writer. I kind of feel like he hasn't yet decided whether he is going to be an "action" writer, or a "character writer". From this book, it seems like if he worked at it, he could be a bit more of a character writer, and elevate a book like this from something enjoyable to something really quite good.

I might try to read one more by him.
Beth
An interesting spy story, not the best I have ever read though. It does seem to leave a number of sub-plots open for future use but most of the sub-plots/characters were ended abruptly. There is a lot of detail in housing, location and character but not enough detail in how the story progresses and then all of a sudden there is a fire-fight and some are dead.

Disclaimer - free Fridays ebook from B&N
Tim

Surprisingly good considering it was a free Friday Nook book. There were some good plot twists and decent characters. There were a few details overlooked by the author that raises some questions of the possibility of some of the actions by the characters, but they were mirror. I would read another book by this author.
Eileen
Enjoyable, started off very fast paced and was building to be a very good spy novel. However, it slowed towards the middle and the plot seemed to fizzle, ending seemed premature with lots of lose ends. I would recomend as an easy quick read, plus you can download a free version from b&n.
Bill
I got off to a slow start with this first book I've read by Dryden, but the plot caught my interest about half way through; and I had no trouble finishing the book. It presents an interesting insight into the espionage/counter-espionage workings of two major powers.
Dennis Willingham
Pretty good spy page turner. Author is former British security service employee, and the detail and situations read like it. Decently written with a few rough spots and the most abrupt ending I think I've ever read. Good for an airplane book.
Karen
I thought I would never finish this book. It was a good story line but following the twists and turns was difficult. The grammatical errors made it difficult to read as well. Would not recommend the book. Good thing it was a free download.
Janine Greene
Pretty good for a Free Fridays book! Kind of like a Dan Brown novel with the searching for the lost treasure, but entertaining and easy to read. Great beach vacation book...will keep you intrigued and on the edge of your seat!
Tracy Canuck
I really wish I knew this was not the first in the series before I read this as I would have liked to have gotten to know Finn, sounds like a good character. The book was ok as far as Russian spy novels go but nothing special.
Joan
A little too long and complicated although I will say MOST ends were tied up at the end. I have never read any of this author's book before and I'm not sure I would search out anymore. It was reasonably satisfying.
John
The Sequel to "Red to Black." Not as much first person narrative, more subtle, and the continued story of Anna Resnikova. Both of these are excellent and feature issues of current Russia along with the story told.
Vlad W
Book 1 of the series was slow getting started. This one (#2) did not. Lots of excitement, twists and turns. Have already read #3 - it's the one that got me interested in the series. Gotta get to "Death In Siberia".
Old_airman
Loved the first 3/4 of the novel. Fast paced and terrifying. The ending tied too many lose ends up too quickly. One of the major story lines at the beginning lead to a so what conclusion.
Michele
I can't say I really enjoyed this one much and won't be reading any others in the series. It seemed to be overly complicated just because it could be and not to serve some greater good.
Ginny
Lots of twists and turns, like a old fashioned spy novel. Characters are multi dimensional, and driven by murky motives. The end leaves you wanting another installment.
  • From the Ashes
  • Winston's War (Winston Churchill #1)
  • Raven Strike (Dreamland, #13)
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • Needle in a Haystack
  • Dead Politician Society: A Clare Vengel Undercover Novel
  • A World I Never Made
  • The Hunt
  • Black Out (Inspector Troy, #1)
  • Meet the Annas: A Musical Novel
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • First, There Is a River (Spirit of the River, #1)
  • County Line
  • Gutshot Straight
  • The Inside Ring (Joe DeMarco, #1)
  • Blood Safari
  • Blood Ties (PI Julie Collins, #1)
  • Protector
Alex Dryden is a writer and journalist with many years of experience in security matters. When the Berlin Wall came down in 1989, Dryden watched the statues of Lenin fall across the former Soviet Union. Since then he has charted the false dawn of democracy in Russia as the country has transformed into the world's most powerful secret state
More about Alex Dryden...
Red To Black (Anna Resnikov, #1) The Blind Spy (Anna Resnikov, #3) Death in Siberia (Anna Resnikov, #4) Modern English Drama: Dryden, Sheridan, Goldsmith, Shelley, Browning, Byron: V18 Harvard Classics Using Graphs in Economics