Start by marking “Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)” as Want to Read:
Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)

Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov #2)

The threat of Russia as a hostile superpower returns in this chilling spy thriller.

When British spy, Finn, is brutally murdered by a Russian assassin, Adrian, chief of MI6, wants vengeance. He also wants answers - answers that can only be revealed by Finn's widow, Anna, the former KGB colonel who betrayed her country for love and has now disappeared with their child. Adria

Published September 3rd 2009 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about Moscow Sting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moscow Sting

Rick Skwiot
Nov 14, 2012 Rick Skwiot rated it liked it
If today’s international fanatical terrorism makes you nostalgic for the Cold War (never mind the proxy wars in Angola, Viet Nam, Afghanistan, Nicaragua, etc. and the threat of nuclear annihilation), when the U.S., U.K. et al parried with a rational if ruthless U.S.S.R.
then Alex Dryden’s new espionage novel Moscow Sting may be your cup of somewhat tepid tea.

It portrays a new, contemporary Russia now ruled by the KGB and led by a dictatorial and all-powerful Vladimir Putin squaring off against a
William
An almost perfect modern spy novel, filled with a keen understanding of the contemporary environment of Putin's Russia and the United States' self-generated dependance on privatized intelligence companies. The plot is masterful in tying strong characters to its global events, and Anna Resnikov is an excellent embodiment of the modern agent and one who satisfies the need for readers to see heroes driven by goals more human than global. Dryden's novel makes the spy novel relevant to an age that ha ...more
Suzy
Jan 28, 2016 Suzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Precision. Detailed, plausible mind games. (Anna) She suddenly felt a feeling of freedom, unexplained. Perhaps it was because it was the first time she'd been free for nearly six months. Just this short walk, alone, raised her spirits. And Vladimir had been compliant.
These sources who were happy to take the Russian dollar in exchange for, mostly technological, secrets. Line X was the KGB department responsible for technological espionage.
These Russian dollars cam from the Kremlin-controlled ener
Ron
Apr 13, 2012 Ron rated it liked it
I liked it. Of course, I don't read enough of this type of book to know, but it featured interesting people doing interesting things--only occasionally involving killing one another--in a well-written story. Since only one short scene occurs in Moscow I'm unsure why it was titled that, though it was as much about Russian as British or American intelligence folks.

Since I hadn't read the first book, I didn't know who the protagonist was. It took Dryden a while to get to her.
Jo Franz
Apr 17, 2012 Jo Franz rated it it was amazing
Fascinating read that I downloaded for free to my new Kindle without knowing much at all about the author (see my review about Red to Black). I read this prior to the original story but found it easy to follow the prior story. However, I recommend reading Red to Black first. This book gives such powerful information about our country's part in the global intelligence community that it leaves me with even more knowledge of our corruption.
Lkelly6
Aug 26, 2014 Lkelly6 rated it it was amazing
This book is intriguing from the first page. The characters, such as Anna, are true individuals and not model-composites which most authors of thrillers create. When a person reads as much as I do, the reader tires of these same-o, same-o characters. Dryden has created individuals.

I loved the actions, the complex plots, and the places. Since I travel extensively, I recognize most of Dryden's places.

I will read more books by Dryden.
Dr. John Rodgers
Dryden does it again!!!!

For a book written four years ago, the author is definitely pre-existing or clairvoyant. couldn't put it down until I reached the end.
Michael Klein
Oct 10, 2011 Michael Klein rated it it was ok
I found Dryden's novel to be a bit meandering and with characters I just couldn't really get behind. The most compelling character is one who is dead at the beginning of the novel and whose murder sets much of this novel's plot in motion. Unfortunately we never meet him, just hear about him. (This is Dryden's second novel, and it's quite possible this character, Finn, is the star of his first novel.)

The thing that probably kept me engaged through to the end was the seemingly heavy research Dryde
Hock Tjoa
Apr 09, 2012 Hock Tjoa rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this (as I continue my search for spy thrillers to read). It features somewhat predictable characters--the irresistible ex-KGB colonel, the larger than life founder of a contract intelligence company, the inter-agency (even international) rivalry. But it is superior to much written in this genre: there are nice turns of phrases such as the "sackcloth approach to personal enjoyment." There is much detailed descriptions of the art of following, of evading tails, of interrogation, of the ...more
Aaron Thompson
May 18, 2016 Aaron Thompson rated it liked it
This is the first book by Alex Dryden that I've read, and I found it to be "ok". The characters seemed to be believable and fairly well developed, and the plot and dialogue are well written and organic. As a huge fan of Tom Clancy, however, I didn't feel that it measured up to my expectations for a "spy novel". While it was good for a one time read, I don't see myself returning to this series, or reading another novel by Mr. Dryden. Guess it just wasn't my cup of tea...
Andy
Jan 16, 2016 Andy rated it liked it
This is more like LeCarre than Follett. Pretty good, but a lot of talk. And a plot that's not too compelling because it mainly boils down to a big game of spy vs. spy. Nobody believes in anything. Everybody will sell out everybody else if it suits them personally in the moment. Some of them live, some of them die; who really cares?
Cheryl
Mar 16, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a very nice read, reminiscent of LeCarre.

The heroine is a former KGB colonel who defected for love. Now her husband's dead and she has a child to protect.

We follow her as she goes through the usual contortions. Can she trust this man or this woman? Is this person lying, is this place safe? if she does this, what will that mean to the one who has her son? How can she drop a package without giving herself away to the watchers who are always there?

She's a spy one side is trying to use agai
Anne
Jun 01, 2012 Anne rated it it was ok
Robert Dunn
Oct 18, 2014 Robert Dunn rated it really liked it
This is a really good spy story. Anna plays her role perfectly and understands Burt as much as he understands her. Not much action until the end but many mind games through out. Good stuff!
Evanston Public  Library
Former KGB colonel Anna Resnikov is at the center of this suspense story and held my attention as a tough woman clearly at home in a "man's" world. Top American and British spy agencies kidnap her son to force her to cooperate in leading them to another key spy. Dryden designs the plot skillfully, throwing in twists and turns, with characters double-crossing and outmaneuvering each other. The author seems to have authentic knowledge about the politics of spy operations. Pretty good read. Althoug ...more
Marti
Mar 19, 2012 Marti rated it really liked it
This was a Free Friday nook book that I enjoyed more as I read. Spies aren't terribly sympathetic characters, unless perhaps they are on our side. The main character is Anna, a former Russian colonel, who has defected. Her husband was killed by a Russian, and she has a two year old son referred to as Little Finn--after his father--who is obviously not the best of circumstances, as he could be kidnapped. Were this to happen, she would do almost anything to get him back safely. She is very well tr ...more
Marc Moore
Apr 27, 2014 Marc Moore rated it it was ok
A mostly dull, dud of a read. The few redeeming characteristics of the book are Anna's interior monologues.
Andrew Bergman
Apr 30, 2014 Andrew Bergman rated it it was ok
Reading while on a trip right now.
OK, but not an original or inspiring spy novel so far.
Tom
Good political thriller with a weak ending.
Laura Dragon
May 31, 2012 Laura Dragon rated it liked it
I really loved the cat and mouse game in this novel. You were never quite sure who was the cat and who was the mouse, it was constantly changing. I loved it all the way up until the end. And then...it just ended. I felt a bit unsatisfied not sure what else I was looking for but the novel didn't feel "finished" to me. Possibly the Author continues these characters else where or maybe the whole point is that there is stuff going on that we don't get to know the truth of. Anyway, it was a good read ...more
Douglas
Jan 23, 2016 Douglas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage, fiction
Almost there but not quite
Charles Moore
May 23, 2016 Charles Moore rated it did not like it
Boring.
David Cain
Apr 22, 2012 David Cain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This is a decent spy thriller with a character-oriented plot. The action takes place in an engrossing post-cold war political landscape. Other than the three or four memorable main characters, most of the supporting cast is largely forgettable. Some of the plot seems a bit rushed, but most of the different threads are tied up during the last several chapters. This is the first (and perhaps last) Dryden novel that I've read but I do recommend it for some exciting light reading.
JC
May 13, 2012 JC rated it it was ok
Another one of those books that I've had a hard time getting into. Lots of actiona nd lots going on but I couldn't really pay attention as I would have liked. This caught me at a bad time as well with lots of other distractions going on. This book is an international thriller involving the KGB and the secrets reaching into the highest levels of the Russian government. Interesting idea for sure, but couldn't keep me interested the whole time...
Philip
Mar 01, 2011 Philip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I've read by Dryden. He's actually a decent writer. I kind of feel like he hasn't yet decided whether he is going to be an "action" writer, or a "character writer". From this book, it seems like if he worked at it, he could be a bit more of a character writer, and elevate a book like this from something enjoyable to something really quite good.

I might try to read one more by him.
Beth
Apr 17, 2012 Beth rated it liked it
An interesting spy story, not the best I have ever read though. It does seem to leave a number of sub-plots open for future use but most of the sub-plots/characters were ended abruptly. There is a lot of detail in housing, location and character but not enough detail in how the story progresses and then all of a sudden there is a fire-fight and some are dead.

Disclaimer - free Fridays ebook from B&N
Tim
Jun 10, 2012 Tim rated it liked it

Surprisingly good considering it was a free Friday Nook book. There were some good plot twists and decent characters. There were a few details overlooked by the author that raises some questions of the possibility of some of the actions by the characters, but they were mirror. I would read another book by this author.
Eileen
Mar 25, 2012 Eileen rated it liked it
Enjoyable, started off very fast paced and was building to be a very good spy novel. However, it slowed towards the middle and the plot seemed to fizzle, ending seemed premature with lots of lose ends. I would recomend as an easy quick read, plus you can download a free version from b&n.
Bill
Nov 21, 2010 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got off to a slow start with this first book I've read by Dryden, but the plot caught my interest about half way through; and I had no trouble finishing the book. It presents an interesting insight into the espionage/counter-espionage workings of two major powers.
Dennis Willingham
Sep 11, 2012 Dennis Willingham rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, kindle, 2012
Pretty good spy page turner. Author is former British security service employee, and the detail and situations read like it. Decently written with a few rough spots and the most abrupt ending I think I've ever read. Good for an airplane book.
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • From the Ashes
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • Raven Strike (Dreamland, #13)
  • A World I Never Made
  • Needle in a Haystack
  • Meet the Annas: A Musical Novel
  • Winston's War (Winston Churchill #1)
  • County Line
  • The Hunt
  • Blood Ties (PI Julie Collins, #1)
  • Gutshot Straight
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • Black Out (Inspector Troy, #1)
  • Protector
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
  • Temptation (Texas Cattleman's Club: The Showdown #5)
  • First, There Is a River (Spirit of the River, #1)
Alex Dryden is a writer and journalist with many years of experience in security matters. When the Berlin Wall came down in 1989, Dryden watched the statues of Lenin fall across the former Soviet Union. Since then he has charted the false dawn of democracy in Russia as the country has transformed into the world's most powerful secret state
More about Alex Dryden...

Anna Resnikov (4 books)
  • Red To Black (Anna Resnikov, #1)
  • The Blind Spy (Anna Resnikov, #3)
  • Death in Siberia (Anna Resnikov, #4)