Start by marking “Ernie Pyles War: America's Eyewitness to World War II” as Want to Read:
Ernie Pyles War: America's Eyewitness to World War II

Ernie Pyles War: America's Eyewitness to World War II

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When a machine-gun bullet ended the life of war correspondent Ernie Pyle in the final days of World War II, Americans mourned him in the same breath as they mourned Franklin Roosevelt. To millions, the loss of this American folk hero seemed nearly as great as the loss of the wartime president.
If the hidden horrors and valor of combat persist at all in the public mind, it
Published January 15th 1999 by Free Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Ernie Pyles War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ernie Pyles War

Carol Storm
When I was in grade school I happened to read one of the TIME LIFE books on World War II and I came across Ernie Pyle's timeless and poignant writing about the wreckage-strewn beach on the morning after D DAY. It was one of the first times I really understood the power of the written word.

This biography does an amazing job of explaining who Ernie Pyle was and where he came from, plus why his writing came to mean so much to Americans both on the Home Front and in the combat zones of World War II
Gayle
This book has been around awhile, published in 1997, but I am an on and off WWII aficionado who will spend months reading about and/or watching movies about that war and that era. I will spend a couple of hours in my public library’s catalog searching for books and movies about “World War 1939-1945, “ and devour what I find for however long it takes me to tire of it and move on. I’ve been doing this most of my life, and have decided that either I should have majored in military history in colleg ...more
Mike  Davis
Written in 1997, Tobin takes a long look back into war correspondence and the unique character of Ernie Pyle. The book chronicles Pyle's life and personal struggles as WWII's consummate journalist, but also examines what made Pyle different as the defining voice of the common soldier. It attempts to define what war was and is, politically, morally and practically. Tobin shows that Pyle, though not a philosopher, nevertheless struggles with the age-old questions of how soldiers convert from husba ...more
Lauren
I read this one on summer vacation after I ran out of my own books and had to borrow something from my dad. I was 13. By the end of the summer, I had decided I was going to be a war correspondent and get myself blown up in a Cambodian mine field. Needless to say, my mother is happy that ambition passed and I'm now settled in a safe, boring career as a lawyer.

But 13-year-old Lauren was really impressed by this story of a badly damaged man who didn't let his own brokenness stop him from telling th
Claudia Mundell

I knew the power and precision of Ernie Pyle’s writing, but I wanted to know the man himself. So I picked up a copy of Ernie Pyle’s War: America’s Eyewitness of World War II by James. Tobin. The author takes readers back to the beginning in Dana, Indiana and shows how an only child grew up in a farming family. Pyle was an undersized but bright student who could not wait to make his way out into the world away from the Midwest.

Pyle was an excellent journalist, one worthy of studying. He began wi
Nell
Probably several members of the book discussion group that chose this title remember Ernie Pyle, but aside from hearing the name I knew nothing about him. Born in 1900, he was slight of stature, an Indiana farm boy, the only child of a dominant mother who embraced farming and a passive father who hated it. Ernie dreamed of the wider world. Too young for World War I, he enrolled in Indiana University to study journalism but left in the middle of his senior year to take a reporting job. He ended u ...more
Jill
Feb 06, 2008 Jill rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Jill by: my uncle kevin
ernie pyle is amazing. the stories that he was able to tell & the things he went through are so incredible...and he didn't have to. he did it so that we, the people back home & the decendants of the greatest generation, know what happened to ensure our happiness & freedom.
Pat evert
Such a crazy, strange man who touched the hearts of Americans everwhere with his columns. Be prepared to cry when his columsn are re-produced in this fascinatng story of Ernie's life!
Wayne S.
When I was in high school, back in the days when we actually studied history rather than “social studies,” I remember learning about Ernie Pyle, one of the foremost American newspaper correspondents during World War II. Therefore, while driving through west central Indiana last year and seeing a sign for the Ernie Pyle State Historic Site at Dana, IN, we decided to stop. I purchased this book from their gift shop to serve as a memento of our visit and to learn more about Pyle, who was born Ernes ...more
Dan
Only ten days after finishing the first book that I’ve read for my own enjoyment, in four years, I get to sit here at my desk and type a review of another book. This book came as a gift from my mom… a particularly wonderful and meaningful gift. I’ve long since been a fan of American history or at least moments in time within our history, and WWII is certainly one of our history’s most compelling stories. Having grown up with my mom and my grandmother, I’ve been instilled with a sense of apprecia ...more
Jenny
Gawker published a tribute to Ernie Pyle on the anniversary of his death last month, and I was interested to read more. This book gives a good overview of his life, but I was hoping to read more of his actual columns.
Patrick Nichol
Ernie Pyle wasn't flashy or telegenic, but he was an excellent chronicler of the average American soldier.

In fact, he was so ordinary and sympathetic that he was called "the little G.I." by his fans.

Reading this excellent biography was a pleasure. i found out a lot about what made Pyle tick, his passion for writing, his restlessness.

If you were to put him in today's terms, Pyle would be Anderson Cooper telling it like it is.

Anyone interested in the work of World War II's most celebrated correspo
Megan Martin
I wish I could give this book 100 stars.
Gary Daly
A man who went to war (as a journalist) because home life was a pain in the arse. Highly toxic relationships, fame and an obsession for danger and death (which he finally met with a bullet in the head at war's end on the Pacific island of Lejima). After years and years of exposing himself to bombs, bullets and frontline stress he pursued his own end because he felt the home front had no idea what it meant to go to war (they still don't) and Pyle focused on bringing the life of the combat soldier ...more
Leslie
As a non WW2 buff with a limited familiarity of Ernie Pyle, I found this biography accessible,well- written, and informative. It felt like an honest look at an average guy who did some extraordinary reporting. It didn't seem to gloss over the negatives or hyperbolize the positives, but it did leave me with a sense of admiration for both the man and the soldiers he loved. I use excerpts of this now when I have my students read WW2 news reports.
Bryana Johnson
Wonderful biography of an exceptionally tenacious combat journalist in World War II. The book includes samples of Pyle’s most enduring columns covering the war. While the work is biographical, its most enduring integral theme is that of the conflict itself and of the spirit of humanity under the pressure of overwhelming disaster. Pyle himself had a troubled personal life and the cloud of his failed marriage does hang over the book at times.
George Martzen
I sometimes heard my father or those of his generation mention the name Ernie Pyle, whom I knew to have been a journalist. So I was happy to pick up this book and was immediately caught up in the well-researched biography.
Matthew
This was a great read. Pyle's writing is very enjoyable. It was nice to know the story behind those writings.
David
Good. Extensive biography of Pyle's whole life. Part of my personal Ernie Pyle marathon.
Maureen
Thanks nicole! I am going to start reading it tonight!
Alan Gongora
Alan Gongora marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Eegore James
Eegore James marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Caroline Shea
Caroline Shea marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
  • Brave Men
  • Up Front
  • The Women Who Wrote the War
  • General of the Army: George C. Marshall, Soldier and Statesman
  • Utmost Savagery: The Three Days of Tarawa
  • The Ghost Mountain Boys: Their Epic March and the Terrifying Battle for New Guinea--The Forgotten War of the South Pacific
  • The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle: Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot
  • I'm Staying With My Boys...: The Heroic Life of Sgt. John Basilone, USMC
  • Eisenhower, Volume #1: Soldier, General of the Army, President-Elect, 1890-1952
  • 1942: The Year That Tried Men's Souls
  • Ship of Ghosts: The Story of the USS Houston, FDR's Legendary Lost Cruiser, and the Epic Saga of Her Survivors
  • A Question of Honor: The Kosciuszko Squadron: Forgotten Heroes of World War II
  • The Few: The American "Knights of the Air" Who Risked Everything to Fight in the Battle of Britain
  • Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle
  • Fatal Voyage: The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis
  • Bombs Away
  • First Into Nagasaki: The Censored Eyewitness Dispatches on Post-Atomic Japan and Its Prisoners of War
  • Strong Men Armed: The United States Marines Against Japan
The Man He Became: How FDR Defied Polio to Win the Presidency To Conquer the Air: The Wright Brothers and the Great Race for Flight Great Projects: The Epic Story of the Building of America, from the Taming of the Mississippi to the Invention of the Internet First to Fly: The Unlikely Triumph of Wilbur and Orville Wright Harry Johnson 1923 1977