Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy, #2)

Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  2,526 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Mrs. Murphy thinks the new man in town is thecat's meow.... Maybe she should think again.Small towns don't take kindly to strangers--unlessthe stranger happens to be a drop-dead gorgeous andseemingly unattached male. When Blair Bainbridgecomes to Crozet, Virginia, the local matchmakerslose no time in declaring him perfect for theirnewly divorced postmistress, Marry Minor "...more
Published March 30th 2004 by Crimeline (first published August 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Rest in Pieces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rest in Pieces

Paul Lunger
From 1992, "Rest in Pieces" is one of the earliest books in this series & perhaps one of the best. When body parts start turning up at random in Crozet, Virginia a murderer must be on the loose especially with a local matchmaker is in town. The stories in this series always work best when both animal & human interaction & this book is a clear example where it works. There's also a plot involved this time with the matchmaker & the attempt to get Fair & Harry back together. It'...more
Christyn
I thoroughly enjoyed Rest in Pieces, the second book in the Mrs.Murphy series. The mystery was interesting (though this was not the very strong point of the story). The strongest point of the story was the characters. The citizens of Crozet and their goings-ons were what captured and held my attention - sometimes the human ones, but mostly the animal ones - I love Mrs.Murphy and Tucker. Even Pewter has grown on me, as has the timid Simon.

We also learn more about the human residents of Crozet,...more
Ann
Quite a good one. Good plot and I love the characters! I've read several in the series and I really enjoy them although my hubby didn't like the fact that the animals talk to each other - I kind of enjoy that and it moves the plot along! I think they are really fun cozy mysteries and I will continue on til I finish the series. I also like her other books.
Pearl Drolet
Mystery fans who dote on their pets will welcome this second tale of murder co-authored by Brown and her cat, Sneaky Pie. A follow-up to the duo's Wish You Were Here, it reintroduces characters and settings in the tiny town of Crozet, Va. Central to the tale are postmistress and knowledgeable farmhand Mary Minor Haristeen (Harry), her cat Mrs. Murphy and her Welsh corgi Tee Tucker. Mrs. Murphy, as it happens, ``bears an uncanny resemblance to authoress Sneaky Pie,'' and virtually every reference...more
Samantha
May 05, 2009 Samantha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat/dog lovers, fluffy mystery lovers
Recommended to Samantha by: Judy Ward!
Another cattabulous read from the Mrs. Murphy Murder Series! I absolutely love the writings of Rita Mae and Sneaky Pie Brown! In this installment, the quaint town of Crozet, VA is thrown into a tizzy by the arrival of a sexy NY male model. Shortly after his arrival, body parts are found scattered all over town making everyone wonder if the towns new hottie is a killer. In some parts it's 'gruesome'...though not like Stephen King gruesome, but still kinda gross for a fluffy, afternoon read. Harry...more
Glimmerfee
Ich bin rundum begeistert von diesem Buch. Die Autorin hat hier ein kleines Meisterstück vollbracht. Der Krimi ist spannend bis zum Schluss und wartet mit einigen erstaunlichen Momenten auf. Harry und ihre Tiere sind natürlich die Stars dieser Reihe allen voran Mrs. Murphy, die Tigerkatze mit dem detektivischen Spürsinn und ihr bester Freund Tee Tucker, ein mutiger Corgi. Neu auf Harrys Farm ist das Opossum Simon, dass mein Herz im Sturm erobert hat.

Eine ganz dicke Empfehlung an alle Wohlfühlkri...more
Rhonda Pickens
I REALLY needed something warm and uplifting after reading incredibly depressing books for an Apocalyptic Literature course. This was the perfect remedy! Since I started them out of order, this, the 2nd book in the series, is actually the 3rd I've read. Granted, these are not epic literature, but I find them some of the best of the "cozy mysteries" genre. The talking animals might sound a little juvenile ('a la Charlotte's Web) when you first consider the series, but it's done very well. If you'...more
Kelly
I'm giving this book 4 stars not because of the mystery story itself, but because of the characters and the setting. I love Mrs. Murphy and Tucker! This book had some bonus animal characters that were central to the story as well. What isn't cuter than talking animals? I think the author really gives these animals believable "person"alities -- I like to think a few of my own cats are as smart and sassy as Mrs. Murphy. The mystery was good as well, with a little hint of romance and plenty of town...more
Amy
Rita Mae Brown may have been the first to write adult mysteries with animals as her main characters. I don't know. But when I read these series of books, I was amused to watch how well she captures the characteristics of cats and dogs and their relationships to their human friends. The mysteries are Agatha Christie-esque to boot!
Ingrid
This is an excellent murder mystery series. The two cats and the Corgi dog are important characters in the book that help solve the mysteries. But of course they aren't understood by their owners and often comment on how difficult it is to get the humans to understand them. Some clues are discovered by the animals and reveals to the reader, but not to Harry, the heroine. It's a fun concept that works really well. The heroine, Harry, is a down to earth woman who lives in the small down of Cozet....more
F
The good, the bad, the profound....GOOD: entertaining cozy mystery; I enjoyed the verbal conversation between the animals, particularly the animals analyzing humans' strange habits. The BAD: the descriptive fox hunt (Chapter 33) seemed endless and overkill in details. I also thought the author could have penned a better, more-believeable method in apprehending the killer. The PROFOUND: There are many thought-provoking statements made by the author throughout the novel. For example, the main char...more
Betty
The second book in this cozy mystery series. The animals are delight and their talks with each other highlight the series. Parts of a body are found in Foxton's cemetery by Mrs Murphy and Tucker. Shortly other body parts turn up around Crozet, the head in a pumpkin. Enjoy fantasy and mystery together for a light easy read.
Chaitra
I still think they're on the preachy side, but I also liked it. The whole cat and dog thing is enough, to be honest. Harry is better than I remember her too. This time the mystery is halfway decent, even if I did figure it out at some point. But the blow by blow details of the fox hunt was a bit much. Someone refers to Harry as a modern-day Noah, and hunting even ill and old foxes isn't exactly helping make that point. Still, a good enough mystery. 3 stars.
Tabitha
This murder mystery based in a small town with a few cats and a dog helping solve the crime, sounded a little goofy to me initially. After reading a few chapters, I was hooked. The mystery was complex enough that although I could figure out some parts before they were revealed, I did not solve the puzzle before the solution was nearly at hand. Even then, I didn't have the motive without explanation. Enough details were held back, and twists were employed to make the read enjoyable. A fair amount...more
Marjorie
I'm really enjoying this series. Every time I open a new volume I feel as though I'm having a get together with old friends. That's something rare!
Jaime
I enjoy this series, even if the discussions between the animals about the moralities of humans are a little tiring. The whole "what makes humans so civilized when they go around killing each other" theme could stand to be a little less blatant. Regardless, what you end up with here is a humorous, entertaining, well woven story. Maybe a little more humorous than the author intended, because the climax of the novel comes off a little like the Keystone Cops. Though I wasn’t surprised by who the mu...more
Artemis
I had been waiting to begin this series and am glad I did. The animals play a more minor character than I expected. I am already beginning the next books in the series.
Mel
You can tell that this is her second novel. If you read Wish You Were Here and then Rest in Pieces in quick succession, like I did, you'll notice details that should've been brought up in the first book but weren't (like how Harry owns horses and has a farm to take care of and not just the farm house). I liked this improved Harry and found the book very enjoyable and the mystery murder gripping, though, I did have an inkling as to who it was before hand, I never would've guessed why!
The second of the Mrs. Murphy mysteries, where the pets are the stars and try to push their humans into solving the murder mystery that’s happening in their little town. It’s fun, it’s funny, and I didn’t know who was the murderer 90 pages before any of the characters. Yay! It’s also pushing a bit of a feminist agenda, which annoyed me, but at least it was toned down from the first one. There’s a place for that, but I don’t think the middle of a “cozy mystery” novel is it.
Heather
This was my 3rd Mrs. Murphy mystery, and I really enjoyed it. Although I did enjoy this book, I only gave it 3 stars because it's not the best writing I've ever read. I enjoy the dialog between the animals, and so that's not the issue; as a pet-owner, I think that's cute. The writing itself just isn't up to par with some of the other authors I read regularly. Still, I will continue to read this series and am sure I will enjoy every one of them as light reading!
Susie
In some ways I preferred the second book in the series to the first. Namely,I loved seeing a greater variety of animals represented. Unfortunately, the mystery was just way too obvious for me. I don't expect these fun books to be major brain teasers, but it would be nice not to figure out "who done it" when 10% into the book.

I look forward to starting the third book and seeing what adventures Mrs. Murphy and Tee Tucker and their friends find.
Melissa
Book #17 read in 2006

I have to admit, I was especially interested in reading this book. I teach a mystery reading/writing unit to my 6th graders and we always begin the unit by watching the Disney movie Murder, She Purred. It is based on this novel. Since I have seen the movie several times before I read the book, I was constantly comparing the two. I really enjoyed the book, and I look forward to reading more in the series.

Sent to a bookcrosser
Linda
This is the first Rita Mae Brown mystery that I have read and while I can't say I thoroughly enjoyed it, I did enjoy the characters. It reminded me of the Martha's Vineyard Mysteries by Philip Craig which I enjoyed as light mystery. When I complete reading them, I would like to find another light series to be able to reach for in between more serious books.

Thanks for the fun Rita Mae Brown and my best to Sneaky Pie.
Plantgrrl
If I could give 2.5 stars I would. Like any cozy the mystery is slow to develop. Though Brown does do good character development, something in this story was less then compelling. The mystery didn't come together as I would have liked I suppose. Though the wrap up was fairly neat. Not that bad, I'll probably give the next one a go, when next I feel like fluff.
Jules
I love this mystery series. The mysteries are interesting and the characters as well. I love the way Brown interacts the people with the animals. Also, the animals are very interesting with their observations of humans, and human cruelty.
Elizabeth
Jun 25, 2009 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat lovers, and mysterys
Shelves: mystery-mayham, cats
A fun to read, murder mystery, that happens in a small town written by the cat who helps solve it. What could be more fun. I enjoy the different characters in this book and the author gives you wonderful glimpses into humans and how they and act and react to each other. I always enjoy reading these books
Lana
Read this thinking it would be a fun guilty pleasure, but the talking animals gets old even sooner than you would expect. Plus the nicknames for everyone around town are cheesy. And I didn't like that the story shifted from being Halloween themed to Christmas themed. Choose a holiday and stick with it, man.
Michelle Dunlap
The talking cat sounded like a neat angle at the beginning of the book. By half-way through it was mildly annoying & unnecessary. As were the pictures of the animals thrown in at random places.
Liked the plot, but lose the cat. Needless to say I won't be reading anymore by "sneaky pie"
Racy-tay
I don't care for murder mysteries and could imagine liking a story where a cat and dog help solve said mysteries...however I have to admit I'm hooked. The Mrs Murphey books are quick and easy, engaging reads. I'm just waiting for the main character to turn into a lesbian.
Misshkey
Definitely enjoying Rita Mae Brown's style of writing the Sneaky Pie series. Love Harry's way of life and communicating with her animals.
Always solves the mystery and seems to grow emotionally. The animals are always the wisest of the characters. Enjoyed the book.
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • Cat To The Dogs (Joe Grey #5)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.
More about Rita Mae Brown...
Rubyfruit Jungle Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1) Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3) Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy #5) Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)