Start by marking “Hold Autumn in Your Hand” as Want to Read:
Hold Autumn in Your Hand

Hold Autumn in Your Hand

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The story of an East Texas tenant farmer and his fight to support his family during the Great depression. The hero, Sam Tucker, contracts to farm sixty-eight acres of San Pedro bottomland, anxious to work the rich soil although he will earn only six bits a day. Sam, his wife Nona, their bumptious children, and one of the most irrepressible grandmothers in modern fiction ar ...more
Published April 1st 1975 by University of New Mexico Press (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Hold Autumn in Your Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hold Autumn in Your Hand

Janet
Great Depression, East Texas, tenant farming... This book could easily have become a cliche, but it is NOT!! The "New Yorker" review of George Sessions Perry's 1942 work says it better than I could: "A miniature 'Grapes of Wrath' seen through optimistic glasses." I highly recommend this book to those who are looking for realistic fiction set in the 1930s.
You might expect a book containing Southern homilies, folklore, death & dying, crop planting, and such to be one that does not strike a si
David Jr.
An impressive book which vividly and effectively captures the desperation and poverty of East Texas sharecroppers during the depression. It is not a long book, and as a result you'll find it a quick read. It is not particularly deep, but it is very effective at giving the reader a taste of life at this time.

Adding immense color to the book is Granny. She is quite a memorable character and livens up what would otherwise have been a rather dark book. Another stand-out, although for shorter duratio
Sara
George Sessions Perry is one of those authors who can make you feel you're there, living the joys and trials of his characters. Sam, with his wife Nona and two young children, is a tenant farmer in Depression-era Texas. It's through the eyes and muscle and surprising inner spirit of Sam that the reader enters into this family's life. It seems to me that their struggles to get by would defeat the rest of us. Sam draws strength, however, from his calling as a farmer and perhaps from the acceptance ...more
Steve
Sep 14, 2007 Steve rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
Shelves: booksihaveread
A sort of haunting book about a man who dreams of feeding his family with crops that he knows he can grow. His opposition is the post industrial revolution era he lives during, where sharecropping and debt peonage makes it exceedingly difficult for him to get by even when things go perfectly, and the prospect of being forced to turn his back on the land that calls to him in favor of an automobile assembly line job is a dark shadow in his possible future.
Leah
My Father gave me this book when I left home to go to Boarding School. His father gave it to him when he left for College. It is a wonderful read and helped me to understand the way that my Dad and his family was brought up. I loved it.
Matthew
This book manages to be always hopeful and always real in detail after detail. It was not written by a farmer, but a journalist who sympathized with the farming people with little to eat around Rockdale.
Matt
It has been 15 years, but I remember liking it. Poverty and pecans. Maybe pigs, too.
Bryanne
Bryanne is currently reading it
Dec 08, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Alan Gongora
Alan Gongora marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Gail Biggs
Gail Biggs marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Sandi
Sandi added it
Jul 09, 2014
Kristi Andress
Kristi Andress marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Lena Brewster
Lena Brewster marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Dawnita Nix
Dawnita Nix marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Olga Maldonado
Olga Maldonado marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Hans
Hans added it
Dec 04, 2013
Tapani
Tapani added it
Oct 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
WALLS RISE UP Where Away: A Modern Odyssey Texas: A World in Itself The Arkansas Traveler Cities Of America