Start by marking “Hold Autumn in Your Hand” as Want to Read:
Hold Autumn in Your Hand

Hold Autumn in Your Hand

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"The Texas January day was all blue and gold and barely crisp. Only the absence of leaves and sap, the presence of straggling bands of awkward crows, the gray-yellow flutter of field larks, and the broad, matter-of-fact hibernation of the earth said it was winter as Sam Tucker walked along the road, his long legs functioning automatically, farmerly. His body had about it t ...more
Published April 1st 1975 by University of New Mexico Press (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Hold Autumn in Your Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hold Autumn in Your Hand

Great Depression, East Texas, tenant farming... This book could easily have become a cliche, but it is NOT!! The "New Yorker" review of George Sessions Perry's 1942 work says it better than I could: "A miniature 'Grapes of Wrath' seen through optimistic glasses." I highly recommend this book to those who are looking for realistic fiction set in the 1930s.
You might expect a book containing Southern homilies, folklore, death & dying, crop planting, and such to be one that does not strike a si
David Jr.
An impressive book which vividly and effectively captures the desperation and poverty of East Texas sharecroppers during the depression. It is not a long book, and as a result you'll find it a quick read. It is not particularly deep, but it is very effective at giving the reader a taste of life at this time.

Adding immense color to the book is Granny. She is quite a memorable character and livens up what would otherwise have been a rather dark book. Another stand-out, although for shorter duratio
George Sessions Perry is one of those authors who can make you feel you're there, living the joys and trials of his characters. Sam, with his wife Nona and two young children, is a tenant farmer in Depression-era Texas. It's through the eyes and muscle and surprising inner spirit of Sam that the reader enters into this family's life. It seems to me that their struggles to get by would defeat the rest of us. Sam draws strength, however, from his calling as a farmer and perhaps from the acceptance ...more
Sep 14, 2007 Steve rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
Shelves: booksihaveread
A sort of haunting book about a man who dreams of feeding his family with crops that he knows he can grow. His opposition is the post industrial revolution era he lives during, where sharecropping and debt peonage makes it exceedingly difficult for him to get by even when things go perfectly, and the prospect of being forced to turn his back on the land that calls to him in favor of an automobile assembly line job is a dark shadow in his possible future.
My Father gave me this book when I left home to go to Boarding School. His father gave it to him when he left for College. It is a wonderful read and helped me to understand the way that my Dad and his family was brought up. I loved it.
This book manages to be always hopeful and always real in detail after detail. It was not written by a farmer, but a journalist who sympathized with the farming people with little to eat around Rockdale.
It has been 15 years, but I remember liking it. Poverty and pecans. Maybe pigs, too.
Rachel is currently reading it
Nov 04, 2015
Daniel Chisholm II
Daniel Chisholm II marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Dana marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
C marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
David marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Andrew marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Brock marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Eric marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Booklovinglady marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Margaret marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014