Start by marking “The Smiling, Proud Wanderer/ Xiao Ao Jiang Hu series [Vol 1-4]” as Want to Read:
The Smiling, Proud Wanderer/ Xiao Ao Jiang Hu series [Vol 1-4]

The Smiling, Proud Wanderer/ Xiao Ao Jiang Hu series [Vol 1-4]

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  616 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A new and revised edition of The Proud Smiling Wanderer by Jin Yong. The author's most famous book. The story is different from most of his other books in the way this story has no specific historic background, but an in depth portrayal of human nature with its anti-traditional themes. (First of 4)
4 Vols in simplified Chinese
Published (first published 1967)

Grace Tjan
Updated with pictures and additional excerpts and reflections from reading the different editions of the novel.

"Suddenly, the sound of the zither turned loud and forceful, with the implication of battles and fights, but the flute play remained elegant and graceful. After a while, the zither play also turned mild and gentle, and both the zither and the flute switched between high notes and low notes back and forth. All of a sudden, the sounds of both the zither and the flute changed completely, a
Nấm Hương
đúng tiêu chuẩn đẹp-buồn-hài-bịnh :))
haha
chuyện bí ẩn là hồi xa xưa không ấn tượng gì mấy với doanh doanh
vậy mà sau ngần ấy năm, một đêm của tuổi 23, nghe khúc sở hữu tư lại chợt hiểu ra lòng nàng, rồi xúc động rung rinh :D
Ngan Pham
People usually mislead martial novels as works for average readers. Probably because the storyline is not that kind of "luxurious" academic written. But we can't deny, that with a little pondering, most readers can find themselves in there, where they can live with ideals they hardly experience in reality.
To me, Jin Yong's works are small pictures of life, written with his deep thoughts, reflection and living experience. Fortunately, most of the messages he tried to deliver are always in sync w
Zheng
My favorite book from Jin Yong. I re-read it once every year. I still wonder whether there is a good quality translation so I can introduce it to my non-Chinese friends. Jin Yong is a great Chinese author. He came from a scholar's family (as far back as early Qing dynasty) and wrote fourteen great books. His books are like reading the story of "Crouching tigher, Hidden Dragon," but with a lot more breadth and depth. They are also often very funny. His books are tremendously influential among Chi ...more
Ryan
A story about someone who never frowns at misfortune, who can laugh even in the face of death, and who lives through life without any ambition is always admirable. Leave it to Jin Yong to create an incredible adventure for such a character, combined with lovable supporting characters and unique enemies. Definitely one of my favorite books ever.
Silken
Fantastic book. I can't describe how much I love the 2 main characters, Linghu Chong and Ren Ying Ying. Linghu Chong is a very believable character, someone I can imagine in read life. He is loyal, loving, and never forgets his roots. Yet he is also proud and playful, which makes him less perfect and more human.
Mustofa Ibrahim
Hampir sama ceritanya dengan To Liong To

Pemuda yg jago silat dan dari kalangan putih yg mencintai putri dari jagoan besar dari kalangan hitam yang menceritakan tentang gak selamanya yg putih itu benar dan yg hitam itu salah .....

and there happy ending seperti kebiasaan Chin Yung
Lorraine
read this translated piecemeal, courtesy of VERY kind people on the net! the movies did a better job, conceptually. jin yong's ending is a little strained. anyway, it's very enjoyable, esp if you like swordplay :P
Tuệ Trần
Đọc lại Kim Dung là chấp nhận không chờ đợi những bất ngờ - thành tố chính tạo nên cái hấp dẫn của Kim Dung. Nằm lại là một cốt truyện được nắm bắt từ góc nhìn tổng thế: một bức tranh màu mè quá cỡ thợ mộc.

Anli
read in a summer. I expected too much, and felt a little disappointed. Still a very good story.
Joan
Jin Yong's books are my old friends. I can read over and over again.
Try Ngaserin
Easily one of the best novel series ever written, and my personal favourite out of Jin Yong's impeccable repertoire. The story revolves around the pretext of Good vs Evil and how differing points of view exists depending on which side of the fence you are on. The main character is someone of moral good, yet plenty of weaknesses that turns out to be the character's main strength and unique character. The plot is excellently crafted and woven with deep intricacies that leaves you pondering for lon ...more
Jay  Wen
This is my favorite Martial Arts novel by Jin Yong!
Nine Swords of Dugu, The Heaven and Earth Great Shift, The Sunflower Manual...
William Huang
Honestly, I was introduced to this writing piece after watching its TV series. The telly version was uninteresting and a bit repetitive for a Chinese martial arts genre. The story plot itself was very unusual, however, it still brought me some interest. The book was a bit more entertaining because it had more background story. Overall, this was perhaps one of the most disappointing Jin Yong books I ever read.
My first and favourite book of Jin Yong, with my favourite protagonist in the entire wuxia genre. While reading this, I laughed, I cried, I was angry, I was terrified, I was heartbroken, and I was completely satisfied by the time I finished. I'm so glad this work was my introduction to Jin Yong that turned me into a lifelong fan.
Lin
The fourth star is for Yilin and Yinging.
Narcissus
This is wrote by a famous writer named Jin Yong. He has wrote many good novels in China. And this book just about a person who named Lin Huchong how to get his half and how become successful story.
Eve
Jin Yong's metaphor on politics and politicians is a surprisingly fun read, with an approachable, smart-mouthed hero I want to bring home as my new big brother.
John
Jun 04, 2008 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who reads Chinese but I think an English translation is going to come out some time
One of the best martial arts novels out there. Its plot is really interesting and the characters are memorable.
Phương Tomboi
fun
Calligrafia
无招胜有招
Andriesm
Andriesm marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
  • Three Kingdoms: Classic Novel in Four Volumes
  • Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio
  • The Dream of the Red Chamber
  • Bu Bu Jing Xin/步步惊心
  • Outlaws of the Marsh (Vol. 1-4)
  • Kính vạn hoa (toàn tập)
  • Chi Pheo, Paria Casse-Cou
  • Monkey: The Journey to the West
  • Dế Mèn Phiêu Lưu Ký (Diary of a Cricket)
  • Vang bóng một thời
  • Jin Ping Mei (the Golden Lotus)
  • The True Story of Ah Q
  • Border Town
  • To Live
  • Ogniem i mieczem tom 1 (Trylogia, z obrazkami)
  • Đèn không hắt bóng
  • Fortress Besieged
  • 撒哈拉的故事
Louis Cha, GBM, OBE (born 6 February 1924), better known by his pen name Jin Yong (金庸, sometimes read and/or written as "Chin Yung"), is a modern Chinese-language novelist. Having co-founded the Hong Kong daily Ming Pao in 1959, he was the paper's first editor-in-chief.

Cha's fiction, which is of the wuxia ("martial arts and chivalry") genre, has a widespread following in Chinese-speaking areas, in
More about Jin Yong...
The Eagle-shooting Heroes / She Diao Ying Xiong Zhuan series (射雕英雄传) (Condor Trilogy, #1) The Giant Eagle and Its Companion / Shen Diao Xia Lu series (神雕侠侣) (Condor Trilogy, #2) The Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre/ Yi Tian Tu Long Ji series (Condor Trilogy, #3). The Demi-gods and the Semi-devils / Tian Long Ba Bu series 鹿鼎記