Start by marking “The Mad Hatter Mystery (Dr. Gideon Fell, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Mad Hatter Mystery (Dr. Gideon Fell, #2)

The Mad Hatter Mystery (Dr. Gideon Fell #2)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Hats are being stolen throughout London in this bizarre case of theft and murder featuring the unflappable Dr. Gideon Fell.
Published 1945 by Popular Library (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about The Mad Hatter Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mad Hatter Mystery

Benjamin Thomas
I'm continuing my survey of "Golden Age" mystery writers and so I come to John Dickson Carr. He's an intriguing author because he is fairly well known as one of the great British mystery writers even though he happens to be an American. He did live and write in England for quite a long time so his settings and ambience certainly ring authentic. He is also known as a master of the "puzzle" mystery, meaning his plots are usually quite complex and convoluted. One of his novels was even voted the be...more
Nancy Oakes
This book has been widely praised (at least on the Internet) as being one of John Dickson Carr's best. I remember reading somewhere that Dorothy Sayers gave this book rave reviews. So once again I swim upstream against the tide of great reviews because this was one of those books where by the end I just didn't care about who the killer was -- I just wanted to finish the book so I could move on to the next one.

As the story opens, it seems that one Sir William Bitton has been a victim of "the Mad...more
Donna
Dr. Gideon Fell is supposed to be one of the great detectives (OK, second-level below Holmes, Poroit, Wimsey, etc.) of the golden age. Carr is famous for his locked-room mysteries. This book shows neither of those traits, but it was interesting nonetheless.

Murder is committed inside the Tower of London and much of the interrogation goes on here. The whole book takes place in just under one day which makes the detective process that much more interesting. Yes, there are some clues which would he...more
Janne Varvára
Another home run.

This book begins quite hilariously with a hat-stealing London thief, but quickly turns sinister with an apparently related murder at the Tower of London.

It's a confusing yet gratifying plot with lots of twists, and some very surprising turns at the end. A real whodunnit with a number of suspects up until the very end.
Elizabeth Hunter
This is another nicely twisted mystery. Carr's formula makes it fairly easy to guess the murderer here, but if you can take the back-and-forth between Hadley and Fell, it's a fun read. Sticking Rampole into the mix feels extraneous, but not fatally so.
Barry Cunningham
Another Carr puzzler.
Starts out very humorously. After the dead body appears, you'd think the humor would evaporate, but the memorable characters and suspects take up the slack.
Rob Bliss
I didn't like this. I was bored by it.

But on pg. 199, we read this line of dialogue:

' "And I, ma'am," said Dr. Fell, "am the walrus, you see...." '

published in 1933. Wonder if John Lennon read this book. Though the character was referring to the Lewis Carroll poem, 'The Walrus and The Carpenter', so I wonder if that's what Lennon was referring to too.

And my copy was falling apart as I read it, so that didn't make me happy either. Used books, whadda ya gonna do?
A lovely old fashioned murder mystery. I loved the small twists and turns and generally the old style writing. Its a simple story so don't expect something like a modern day crime story.
James
A rather enjoyable read, and full of intrigue. Doctor Fell is a good detective character, and as this was my first John Dickson Carr I look forward to reading the next one.
Richard Ward
Good vintage "whodunit?" from 1933, set in London at and near the Tower. Not John Dickson Carr's best work by any means, yet well worth reading for fans of the genre.
Ian Durham
Another classic Fell mystery, though I wish there had been more Fell!
Julie Ann
Another great whodunnit!
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Ziba Gómes
Ziba Gómes marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Susan
Susan added it
Sep 27, 2014
Koppe
Koppe marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Cathie Klampfer
Cathie Klampfer marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
MadelineHatter
MadelineHatter marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Emilia_gilbert
Emilia_gilbert marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
AKA Carter Dickson.
John Dickson Carr was born in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, in 1906. It Walks by Night, his first published detective novel, featuring the Frenchman Henri Bencolin, was published in 1930. Apart from Dr Fell, whose first appearance was in Hag's Nook in 1933, Carr's other series detectives (published under the nom de plume of Carter Dickson) were the barrister Sir Henry Merrivale, who...more
More about John Dickson Carr...
The Three Coffins (Dr. Gideon Fell, #6) Hag's Nook (Dr. Gideon Fell, #1) The Burning Court The Crooked Hinge (Dr. Gideon Fell, #8) He Who Whispers (Dr. Gideon Fell, #16)