Last Breath: The Limits of Adventure

Last Breath: The Limits of Adventure

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Sudden, extreme deaths have always fascinated us-- and now more than ever as athletes and travelers rise to the challenges of high-risk sports and journeys on the edge. In this spellbinding book, veteran travel and outdoor sports writer Peter Stark reenacts the dramas of what happens inside our bodies, our minds, and our souls when we push ourselves to the absolute limits...more
Published February 5th 2002 by Ballantine Books (first published 2001)

Loren
This is a truly strange book. Neither fish nor fowl, it follows the journalistic tradition of In Cold Blood to relate a fictional story hung on a skeleton of nonfiction. Last Breath gave me a strange sense of dissonance as I turned its pages.

Each chapter explores the way our fragile human bodies fail before the awesome power of nature: drowning while white water kayaking, cooking internally while bike racing in high humidity, choking on lungs full of blood while suffering the bends. In each chap...more
Ashley
What a strange book. It was compulsively readable, and yet it wasn't quite nonfiction. The author created scenarios with fictional characters to illustrate some of the most harrowing kinds of death--heatstroke, dehydration, avalanche, hypothermia, et cetera. The mix of history, physiology, and narrative was wonderful, but I found myself wondering if he couldn't have told the stories of real people who suffered from these misfortunes and survived, or those who died but left behind witnesses. He c...more
Valerie
Jan 19, 2009 Valerie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lindsay
Recommended to Valerie by: Debbie
This book is filled with fascinating details about drowning, being smothered in avalanches, hypothermia etc. Goes well with any Into the Wild type reading.
Jeremy
Everyone knows that if left out in cold temperatures for too long, people die. But specifically how do people die of cold. Specifically what happens to the circulatory system, or a cellular level, even, that makes people die of cold? This book that attempts to answer that question and many like it. It's a collection of stories about the many ways that people die in the wilderness. There's freezing, drowning, falling, avalanche, malaria, heatstroke, dehydration, HACE/HAPE, animal attack, scurvy(!...more
Lisa
This is an excellent book. We listened to it while we were on the road to New Hampshire or Vermont, I forget which place, on one of our many outdoor hiking/skiing adventures.

What a book to read when one is contemplating an outdoor adventure! This book serves as a great reminder that "we cannot get out of life alive", and to be prepared for the risk of physical activity to the body and mind in our undertakings.

The dramas that are described are fiction, however, the processes of the body breaking...more
Kevin
Last Breath is a collection of stories that describe, in extremely vivid detail, just what happens when people die horrible wilderness deaths. Stark begins each chapter by spinning a "what if" tale about a character who finds him or herself in a deadly situation (such as hypothermia, cerebral malaria, heat stroke, drowning, etc.) and, as he builds the narrative, he splices in actual historical instances of this death in action as well as medical explanations of what is happening. Although it see...more
Julie
Sep 19, 2008 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Julie by: an instructor
I absolutely love this book! This is for anyone who loves short stories and excitement. This book is about people who do extreme sports and what happens to their bodies both emotionally and physiologically, right down to the cellular level. You need not be in the medical field to understand this book, it is written in simplistic terms. Every chapter is a new story. Everything from what your body experiences by being crushed by an avalanche, to heat stroke, dehydration, drowning, and so on. This...more
Mary
Horrible yet riveting- We listened to this book on tape while on a road trip, it may have a different feel if read but it was a series of 6-7 high adventure stories. In each one "something went horribly wrong" causing death or near death to one of the participants. Not just exciting stories about hypothermia, drowning, high altitude sickness, heat stroke, etc. but a scientific explanation of what happens to a human in these situations from their emotional state down to their cellular state at di...more
TheSaint
Like snowboarding, kayaking, or deep sea diving? Many people like to challenge themselves outdoors, and most make it back home alive and well. In Last Breath: Cautionary Tales from the Limits of Human Endurance, author Peter Stark describes in fascinating detail the many ways people die as a result of spending too much time in harsh environments. He discusses the causes and sometimes cures of mountain sickness, hypothermia, dehydration, suffocation, blunt trauma (falling), and many others. A pag...more
Aug 24, 2008 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hikers, bikers, avid outdoorsmen/women
I don't know about you, but I have an active imagination. I am always worried about running into Ted Bundy on the hiking path when I am hiking alone, of getting lost and suffering from hypothermia or dying of hypoxia. This book covers all those this and more...well, not the part of Ted Bundy...but everything else.

It details all the physiological events your body goes through before death. I couldn't stop reading it. If you are into the outdoors at all, you should read this book.
Melody
This was a rather morbid read, but I found each chapter, about a different horrific way to die, fascinating. Rather than real stories, these were composite tales, which kind of lessened the effect, but I liked the CSI-esque approach to discussing what actually happens to your body when you're dehydrated, suffering from hypothermia, scurvy or malaria, drowning, an avalanche victim. It helps me feel prepared, just in case, you know, I do become daring.
Andy
Got on to this book through an excerpt from the "death by cold" chapter in Outside magazine. This winter most of us can relate to being stuck in the frigid weather and finding yourself stuck in a bad (and spiraling downward) situation. Each chapter speaks to different ways how one can get into a death-inducing spot, and then monitors dispassionately the medical causation and symptoms as you slide into finality. Morbid and compelling!
Chels
Amazing nonfiction book. It really appealed to me because of my interest in extreme sports and pushing my limits. This was a more challenging read, just because it's entirely scientific. The author does an amazing job of going into incredible detail on medical, scientific conditions. It's textbook material - but described so much more effectivly than a textbook, in that they make it so interesting that you'll remember a lot of it.
Tom prigg
Finished this book. I thought it started out well but the story lines got weaker as the book went on.

It tells the tales of people who survive and do not survive against nature. But it tells the story from a perspective of how the their physiology is changing/struggling during the event.

The author does an amazing job of telling a great story of epic and a medical case study.

Good for anyone who likes adventure.
Cindy
Kind of strange. I liked the chapter about avalanche best, given that I live in avalanche country, but overall it was an odd read. Why did he use a fictional was of telling the story? Why not interview actual people who survived these events, or tell actual accounts of people who died? As a storytelling device, it kept me disconnected from the story. Not recommended. Read Surviving the Extremes instead.
Cindy Raquepau
Nov 29, 2009 Cindy Raquepau rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, adults
Stories of people who got lucky and some who did not. Extreme sport enthuiasts discusses their near death experiences, or the narrator speaks about the possible experiences of the dead. Technical medical knowledge written in layman's terms. Interesting for non-fiction enthuiasts of medical, sports and adventures to read, and will appeal to olders teens a adults
Lisa
This was a mixed bag. I expected it to be all non-fiction. Instead it was fictionalized stories of adventurers facing a life threatening event. Then it went through all the science related to what their body was experiencing. On one hand it was more interesting than I expected---on the other hand the fictionalized parts were not particularly well done.
Mandi
When I saw this book, I knew I had to get it. I like Peter's narration and flow of Last Breath. I felt like I was with the character in the drowning chapter and got so cold reading hypothermia chapter--I felt like it was me in the woods. If you like adventure and science, I recommend. I learned some good from this book. Read this summer.
Erin
While a bit gruesome, this book was still good. Don't read this if you have friends and family who do dangerous things AND you remember everything you read. I have a crazy brother who does some of these things, but thankfully I don't remember every detail of the freezing to death chapter, so I won't be scared for him. Interesting for sure.
Rebecca margoles
This was part scientific journal and part Indiana Jones. I loved it. I have not read any other like this. Multiple stories in a book-I like that so my add nature doesn't get bored. Some were actual accounts of what happened to people and some were what physically could happened to people in different scenarios-all adventure based.
Jane
Although the concept sounds morbid, this is a captivating book . . . through short stories about various outdoor adventures, the author describes the physiological changes that take place in the body when experiencing hypothermia, drowning, HAPE, etc. It really is an interesting book - and a quick read.
Veronica
FASCINATING look at what the body goes through when pushed to the limits in various scenarios...however, I do not suggest reading how you die by hypothermia, avalanche, or heat stroke just before going to sleep. But for a "Death Fixated" chick like me, it was very informative & interesting! ;-)
Janet Shelton
This was a great follow up book to "Deep Survival". The story of those who don't survive and how they die from a scientific perspective... Drowning, falling, freezing, being stung by the deadly Australian Box Jelly Fish etc..these tales certainly make me more cautious about high adventure sports.
Mark Terry
Enjoyable. A bit like Jon Krakauer meets a thousand ways to die. The physiology of the medical emergency was interesting, but I didn't take to the dramatic presentation.
Shane
Stark does a great job of showing what happens both physically and mentally to those at the extremes of human endurance. Very informative and thought-provoking.
Ninamarie
A little hard to read at times with such graphic descriptions. A nice combination of history, psychology and physiology.
Kristy
The true physiology behind life threatening situations. A must for anyone who likes living on the adventurous edge.
Zach
Great book. Has great summaries of what can happen when adventurous exploits go wrong.
Gandolfication
Really fun and harrowing tails of human survival instinct
  • K2: Triumph and Tragedy
  • Surviving the Extremes: What Happens to the Human Body at the Limits of Human Endurance
  • Night of the Grizzlies
  • Survive The Savage Sea (Sheridan House S.)
  • The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes - and Why
  • Within Reach: My Everest Story
  • Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss--And the Myths and Realities of Dieting
  • The Other Side of Everest: Climbing the North Face Through the Killer Storm
  • This Game of Ghosts
  • Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Survival
  • Seven Summits
  • Don't Know Much About the Universe: Everything You Need to Know About Outer Space but Never Learned
  • Forever on the Mountain: The Truth Behind One of Mountaineering's Most Controversial and Mysterious Disasters
  • Left for Dead: My Journey Home from Everest
  • Unspeak: How Words Become Weapons, How Weapons Become a Message, and How That Message Becomes Reality
  • One Mountain Thousand Summits: The Untold Story Tragedy and True Heroism on K2
  • Bait
  • The Longest Silence: A Life In Fishing
Astoria: John Jacob Astor and Thomas Jefferson's Lost Pacific Empire: A Story of Wealth, Ambition, and Survival The Last Empty Places: A Past and Present Journey Through the Blank Spots on the American Map At the Mercy of the River: An Exploration of the Last African Wilderness Ring of Ice: True Tales of Adventure, Exploration, and Arctic Life Driving to Greenland