Start by marking “Mission Road (Tres Navarre, #6)” as Want to Read:
Mission Road (Tres Navarre, #6)

Mission Road (Tres Navarre #6)

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series

The triple-crown winner of mystery’s most prestigious awards–the Edgar, the Anthony, and the Shamus–Rick Riordan blasted onto the crime scene with one of its freshest and most intriguing protagonists, Tres Navarre. In Mission Road, Navarre returns in a wrenching crime drama in which
Published June 28th 2005 by Bantam (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mission Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission Road

Lee
Dec 30, 2009 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tres-navarre
This Tres story had him with less witty remarks and for a good reason. This one was darker, with a dark mystery from the past. With bad cops and good bad guys, this one had some very good twist and turns. With great atmosphere and fast paced action, another good addition to the series.
The only bad thing is.....I only have one more Tres Navarre novel to read and that's the last one in the series.
Deanna
Jun 26, 2009 Deanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fairly entertaining, but it had a lot of profanity. It was neat to read about San Antonio landmarks, though.
Elar
Oct 14, 2014 Elar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Could have been more interesting if main culprit and accomplices would not been revealed in the middle of the book. Otherwise very thrilling as detective story should be.
Erin
Nov 14, 2016 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't realize it was #6 in a series; I picked it up because I was curious about this author's adult mysteries (having already read my share of Percy Jackson with the kids.) Will have to go back and see how it all began.
Chris Stephens
Feb 26, 2017 Chris Stephens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. My second favorite of the series after Big Red Tequila.
Michael Sump
Apr 29, 2013 Michael Sump rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rated this mystery a “4” within the category of serialized mysteries.

I enjoy Rick Riordan’s series which set in South Texas. I’m a Texan and, to me, South Texas is a whole other country--separate from the United States, yet different from Mexico. Rick Riordan knows this, and he writes of the area with great insight. I enjoy following the adventures of Tres Navarre and his friends and accomplices.

This is his 6th novel centering on the adventures of Navarre, a somewhat down on his luck P.I. As
Kelley
Jun 22, 2012 Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Argh!!! Are you kidding me. I don't like unhappy endings. Why now six books into the series?

For me, the Tres Navarre series hits all of my pleasure notes. The mystery, action, and occasional violence are woven together in a great story set in the city in which I live. What could be better? Even though there is not much in the way of romance, Tres's love life is always an issue that he is dealing with and adds just enough emotional depth to satisfy my female senses.

The end of this book hit me su
Brad Cox
Jun 06, 2015 Brad Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unread
Mission Road is the sixth Tres Navarre novel by Rick Riordan.
Ana, a homicide detective working a decades old cold case, is shot and her husband, Ralph (a former criminal) is accused of shooting her. Ralph goes to his old friend, Tres, and asks for help. They have 48 hours to find the shooter and solve the cold case. Oh yeah, a mobster's son was murdered and father wants revenge. The setting is San Antonio and the story has mobsters, corrupt police, good guys and more babies than you would expec
Spuddie
Sep 05, 2014 Spuddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a fan of much of anything "Texas" but I do enjoy Rick Riordan's Tres Navarre series. I'm both sad and glad that there is only one more book left in this series as I'm not sure what else can happen to Tres before we have to put him on the superhero shelf.

As with many mystery series I've read in the past, my enjoyment level seems to taper off a little bit after about 4 or 5 books in a series. I think many authors have a hard time keeping it fresh, letting their characters develop without
Merelyn
This was a pretty darn good read. Riordan is getting better. These stories of his take place in San Antonio, so i enjoy them just for that fact. The main charecter is Tres Navarre, a privet investegator. He has funny trials, as well as serious crimes to take care of. He has a girlfriend that we meet in earlier books, & they are getting more serious as time goes by. This story is a cold case reopened by a young policewoman, who then gets shot. Tres has to step in as the shot lady is Tres's b ...more
Harold Shaver
Aug 31, 2013 Harold Shaver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystey-crime
Rick Riordan who has found great fame in the YA genre with his Greek demigods series about Percy Jackson and his compatriots first found literary fame in the mystery crime genre with this gritty series about a Texas Medieval English Literature Ph.D. turned P.I. Riordan has created a young man with a past, a very rocky present and whose future seem somewhat cloudy. Each installment keeps getting better and better. Think Harry Dresden without the magic/paranormal stuff. You won't be sorry and I'm ...more
Rachael
May 23, 2016 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-reads
I was so happy that Maia finally became something more than the girlfriend character! While I do enjoy the alternating POVs, I felt like these did a disservice to the story because it didn't add anything to the stakes or make the stressful situation feel stressful. The flashbacks were helpful to understand what was happening, but they happened at odd moments that took you out of the moment. For a more complete review check out my blog, Rachael Reads.
Cindy
Jul 21, 2009 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked his Percy Jackson series, and while I was recently at the Aquecia on Mission Road, a fellow traveler asked if I had read "Mission Road", he encouraged me to read it as it takes place here in San Antonio, and it was really fun to read a clever mystery and know about "The pig Stand" and Contour Loop and Mission Road and even the insides of the Police Department, and the area where First Friday takes place. I didn't think it was too violent, and it was clean. I will look for some of his oth ...more
Lee
May 09, 2010 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read The Lightening Thief because the DVD will soon be released and I enjoyed it so I decided to try one of Rick Riordan's books for grown ups. It was interesting reading a book set in a place I was familiar with. I think Riordan captured the feel of San Antonio pretty accurately. I wondered about Tres Navarre's ethnicity and apparently I'm not the only one who had that question. French catholic was the most descriptive answer I found. I liked this book and would recommend it to others.
Myra Clark
Aug 18, 2012 Myra Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A totally great summer read - Riordan has been writing YA fiction lately, but his mysteries for adults are proving to be even better. His characters, the plot, the psychology of murder - all very well done. Tres Navarre is a great lead character, and I'm looking forward to reading more about him. For some reason, this book is reminding me somewhat of Walter Mosely's work, which in itself is a great recommendation to read it.
Aaron
Apr 12, 2008 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this novel. Riordan has really matured as a mystery novelist. True, some of his quirks are gone, such as the constant tai-chi or recipes for alcohol, but this novel had plenty of twists right up to the last page. I also like that he has no problem with killing characters (you'd know that from previous books).
Lindsey
Mar 19, 2014 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Tres Navarre series keeps on getting better. This one was a little darker than the other ones but kept me reading. I liked the case Tres was working on and the relationship between him and Maia. I can't wait to start the next one.
Katy-Del
IT was a good mystery. Tres goes on the run with Ralph, so there's no Tai Chi or drinking, but there's a lot of San Antonio and Sam has grown on me. My dad has often told us that if his mind goes, we should do what Tres does about Sam's handgun.
Nancy Brady
Feb 09, 2010 Nancy Brady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, library-book
The sixth Tres Navarre mystery, and one in which murders of young women need to be solved that all occurred on Mission Road. Ana and Ralph have married, and it causes a furor in the lives of all including what happened to Ana's mother, a policewoman herself.
Hobart
Sep 16, 2010 Hobart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
of the 4 big reveals in this book, I saw 3 of them miles away (and should've seen the other). Still, well-plotted, well-told, gripping read. Have read a lot of Riordan this year, and am so glad I have.
Sylvia
May 24, 2014 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Rick he is the best. The character Tres Navarre is great. I will miss Ralph; I can't imagine what Tres Navarre is going to do without him. However his soon to be wife is a badass, Maia Lee. I wonder if she is going to be his partner in fighting crime.
Jonathan Pettit
Mar 14, 2012 Jonathan Pettit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the Audible.com version. Another good Tres Navarre mystery. Great story, fills in some of the background history of the characters. I forced my brothers to listen to this as we were driving out to West Texas (Big Bend) country and they enjoyed the Texas, Austin, and San Antonio references.
Cate
Sep 30, 2015 Cate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Riordan's kids books are much, much better. The story line wasn't spectacular, the plot was too predictable, and the characters were a little flat--which doesn't matter as much in an action book, but I got bogged down in the middle of this one. Not my favorite.
Nancy
Oct 21, 2014 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I was reading this, I thought it must be a sequel. Just now I found out it was #6 in a series, which explains a lot. Anyway, I read this at the urging of my daughter, who is a huge Heroes of Olympus fan. I think I would have liked it better if I had started at book 1. But I did like it.
Donna Siebold
Dec 28, 2012 Donna Siebold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tres Navarre and his friend Ralph must solve a decades old murder in order to solve the shooting of Ralph's policewoman wife. Riordan has continued to improve the Tres Navarre character as this series has grown. I especially like the interaction between Tres and Ralph.
Thomas
Nov 23, 2012 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Tres Navarre - PI - good stuff!
Richard Brand
Jan 23, 2012 Richard Brand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps a little too much of a stretch to get a surprise ending, but another good read and lots of twists and turns.
Marnie
May 27, 2013 Marnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Well written. Very good mystery.
Daniel
Listening to the book on CD. I should find the others to get to know the characters better.
Marie
Feb 22, 2015 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of the most compelling in the series so far.
  • Gun Shy (A Blanco County Mystery #5)
  • Nemesis (Nameless Detective, #37)
  • Point Deception (Cape Perdido, #1)
  • Norway to Hide (Passport to Peril, #6)
  • The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 1: The Black Echo / The Black Ice / The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch Universe, #1-3)
  • Taroko Gorge
  • Dream of a Spring Night (Hollow Reed, #1)
  • Murder Has a Sweet Tooth (A Cooking Class Mystery, #5)
  • Hades
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • A Killing Night (Max Freeman, #4)
  • Final Payment (Posadas County Mystery, #5)
  • Death On The Diagonal (Crossword Mysteries, #12)
  • Cool in Tucson (Sarah Burke, #1)
  • Death, Snow, and Mistletoe (Tori Miracle, #4)

More about Rick Riordan...

Tres Navarre (7 books)
  • Big Red Tequila (Tres Navarre, #1)
  • The Widower's Two-Step (Tres Navarre, #2)
  • The Last King of Texas (Tres Navarre, #3)
  • The Devil Went Down to Austin (Tres Navarre, #4)
  • Southtown (Tres Navarre, #5)
  • Rebel Island (Tres Navarre, #7)

“Maia hated this town. Everything was connected. Everybody was somebody’s cousin or childhood friend. A city of a million-plus people, and they still operated like a little country town.” 0 likes