Start by marking “Mission Road (Tres Navarre, #6)” as Want to Read:
Mission Road (Tres Navarre, #6)

Mission Road (Tres Navarre #6)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  591 ratings  ·  44 reviews
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series

The triple-crown winner of mystery’s most prestigious awards–the Edgar, the Anthony, and the Shamus–Rick Riordan blasted onto the crime scene with one of its freshest and most intriguing protagonists, Tres Navarre. In Mission Road, Navarre returns in a wrenching crime drama in which
Published June 28th 2005 by Bantam (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mission Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission Road

Lee
This Tres story had him with less witty remarks and for a good reason. This one was darker, with a dark mystery from the past. With bad cops and good bad guys, this one had some very good twist and turns. With great atmosphere and fast paced action, another good addition to the series.
The only bad thing is.....I only have one more Tres Navarre novel to read and that's the last one in the series.
Spuddie
I am not a fan of much of anything "Texas" but I do enjoy Rick Riordan's Tres Navarre series. I'm both sad and glad that there is only one more book left in this series as I'm not sure what else can happen to Tres before we have to put him on the superhero shelf.

As with many mystery series I've read in the past, my enjoyment level seems to taper off a little bit after about 4 or 5 books in a series. I think many authors have a hard time keeping it fresh, letting their characters develop without
Michael Sump
I rated this mystery a “4” within the category of serialized mysteries.

I enjoy Rick Riordan’s series which set in South Texas. I’m a Texan and, to me, South Texas is a whole other country--separate from the United States, yet different from Mexico. Rick Riordan knows this, and he writes of the area with great insight. I enjoy following the adventures of Tres Navarre and his friends and accomplices.

This is his 6th novel centering on the adventures of Navarre, a somewhat down on his luck P.I. As
Kelley (Against GR Censorship)
Argh!!! Are you kidding me. I don't like unhappy endings. Why now six books into the series?

For me, the Tres Navarre series hits all of my pleasure notes. The mystery, action, and occasional violence are woven together in a great story set in the city in which I live. What could be better? Even though there is not much in the way of romance, Tres's love life is always an issue that he is dealing with and adds just enough emotional depth to satisfy my female senses.

The end of this book hit me su
Nancy
As I was reading this, I thought it must be a sequel. Just now I found out it was #6 in a series, which explains a lot. Anyway, I read this at the urging of my daughter, who is a huge Heroes of Olympus fan. I think I would have liked it better if I had started at book 1. But I did like it.
Lindsey
The Tres Navarre series keeps on getting better. This one was a little darker than the other ones but kept me reading. I liked the case Tres was working on and the relationship between him and Maia. I can't wait to start the next one.
Merelyn
This was a pretty darn good read. Riordan is getting better. These stories of his take place in San Antonio, so i enjoy them just for that fact. The main charecter is Tres Navarre, a privet investegator. He has funny trials, as well as serious crimes to take care of. He has a girlfriend that we meet in earlier books, & they are getting more serious as time goes by. This story is a cold case reopened by a young policewoman, who then gets shot. Tres has to step in as the shot lady is Tres's b ...more
Elar
Could have been more interesting if main culprit and accomplices would not been revealed in the middle of the book. Otherwise very thrilling as detective story should be.
Harold Shaver
Rick Riordan who has found great fame in the YA genre with his Greek demigods series about Percy Jackson and his compatriots first found literary fame in the mystery crime genre with this gritty series about a Texas Medieval English Literature Ph.D. turned P.I. Riordan has created a young man with a past, a very rocky present and whose future seem somewhat cloudy. Each installment keeps getting better and better. Think Harry Dresden without the magic/paranormal stuff. You won't be sorry and I'm ...more
Gerry
This was my second Tres Navarre book. Two generations of rapists from one cold case file.
Cindy
First book I have read by this author and I enjoyed it so I'll try others.
Cindy
I liked his Percy Jackson series, and while I was recently at the Aquecia on Mission Road, a fellow traveler asked if I had read "Mission Road", he encouraged me to read it as it takes place here in San Antonio, and it was really fun to read a clever mystery and know about "The pig Stand" and Contour Loop and Mission Road and even the insides of the Police Department, and the area where First Friday takes place. I didn't think it was too violent, and it was clean. I will look for some of his oth ...more
Lee
I read The Lightening Thief because the DVD will soon be released and I enjoyed it so I decided to try one of Rick Riordan's books for grown ups. It was interesting reading a book set in a place I was familiar with. I think Riordan captured the feel of San Antonio pretty accurately. I wondered about Tres Navarre's ethnicity and apparently I'm not the only one who had that question. French catholic was the most descriptive answer I found. I liked this book and would recommend it to others.
Myra Clark
A totally great summer read - Riordan has been writing YA fiction lately, but his mysteries for adults are proving to be even better. His characters, the plot, the psychology of murder - all very well done. Tres Navarre is a great lead character, and I'm looking forward to reading more about him. For some reason, this book is reminding me somewhat of Walter Mosely's work, which in itself is a great recommendation to read it.
Aaron
I really enjoyed this novel. Riordan has really matured as a mystery novelist. True, some of his quirks are gone, such as the constant tai-chi or recipes for alcohol, but this novel had plenty of twists right up to the last page. I also like that he has no problem with killing characters (you'd know that from previous books).
Jonathan Pettit
Read the Audible.com version. Another good Tres Navarre mystery. Great story, fills in some of the background history of the characters. I forced my brothers to listen to this as we were driving out to West Texas (Big Bend) country and they enjoyed the Texas, Austin, and San Antonio references.
Donna Siebold
Tres Navarre and his friend Ralph must solve a decades old murder in order to solve the shooting of Ralph's policewoman wife. Riordan has continued to improve the Tres Navarre character as this series has grown. I especially like the interaction between Tres and Ralph.
Sylvia
I love Rick he is the best. The character Tres Navarre is great. I will miss Ralph; I can't imagine what Tres Navarre is going to do without him. However his soon to be wife is a badass, Maia Lee. I wonder if she is going to be his partner in fighting crime.
Nancy Brady
The sixth Tres Navarre mystery, and one in which murders of young women need to be solved that all occurred on Mission Road. Ana and Ralph have married, and it causes a furor in the lives of all including what happened to Ana's mother, a policewoman herself.
Katy-Del
IT was a good mystery. Tres goes on the run with Ralph, so there's no Tai Chi or drinking, but there's a lot of San Antonio and Sam has grown on me. My dad has often told us that if his mind goes, we should do what Tres does about Sam's handgun.
Hobart
of the 4 big reveals in this book, I saw 3 of them miles away (and should've seen the other). Still, well-plotted, well-told, gripping read. Have read a lot of Riordan this year, and am so glad I have.
Heather
This is the darkest Tres Navarre book. Tres has never been in so much trouble. Naturally, it comes from trying to find the truth and help a friend. I loved reading this.
Tina
Great suspense novel. Rick Riorden paints some interesting locations and characters. I love that there is always some surprise at the end. It's hard to figure out who done it.
Chris
pure trash summer reading. suspense, murder, revenge- but get this- it's by the guy who wrote "the lighning thief"! Nice little twist at the end.
Chris Lopez
A murder mystery with a local San Antonio focus. Enjoyed this very much. A quick read, but very satisfying with a good plot twist.
Deanna
This book was fairly entertaining, but it had a lot of profanity. It was neat to read about San Antonio landmarks, though.
Richard Brand
Perhaps a little too much of a stretch to get a surprise ending, but another good read and lots of twists and turns.
Marjorie
Tres Navarre does a really nice job of filling the void after we stopped hearing about Travis McGee...
Craig
Riordan's heart just isn't in it anymore; the last good Tres Navarre was The Devil Went Down to Austin.
Cindy Kee
Good and basic read. The kind of book you can read when you just need to kill a little time.
  • Point Deception (Cape Perdido, #1)
  • Flat Crazy (A Blanco County Mystery #3)
  • The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 1: The Black Echo / The Black Ice / The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #1-3)
  • The Way of the Guilty (Hope Street Church Mystery, #3)
  • Pasta Imperfect (Passport to Peril, #3)
  • A Long Walk Up the Water Slide (Neal Carey #4)
  • Murder Has a Sweet Tooth (A Cooking Class Mystery, #5)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Double Prey (Posadas County Mystery, #8)
  • Taroko Gorge
  • Schemers (Nameless Detective, #33)
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
  • Good Morning, Darkness
  • The First Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #1)
  • Hades

More about Rick Riordan...

Tres Navarre (7 books)
  • Big Red Tequila (Tres Navarre, #1)
  • The Widower's Two-Step (Tres Navarre, #2)
  • The Last King of Texas (Tres Navarre, #3)
  • The Devil Went Down to Austin (Tres Navarre, #4)
  • Southtown (Tres Navarre, #5)
  • Rebel Island (Tres Navarre, #7)
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)