Start by marking “Millions to Measure” as Want to Read:
Millions to Measure

Millions to Measure

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  47 reviews
There are millions of things to measure . . . and almost as many ways to measure them!

Marvelosissimo the Mathematical Magician is back -- and ready to explore the invention of length, weight, and volume measurements. After that, with another wave of his wand, the wizard introduces the world of metrics and makes it easy to understand the basic pattern of meters, liters, and...more
Published May 2nd 2006 by HarperCollins (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Millions to Measure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Millions to Measure

Katie Foster
This is a fun nonfiction book. It begins by telling the reader that there are millions of things to measure. Then it goes into how people from many years ago measured (ie. they used their feet and stones) and how that evolved to how we measure things today. The book introduces all the different measuring tools that we use now (liters, tablespoons, rulers, etc). It talks about how everywhere else in the world they use the metric system and how we don't use that as often. At the very back of the b...more
Tanya
Take a trip with Marvelosissimo the Mathematical Magician in his hot air balloon! In this book, we travel back into time to discover the origins of measurements, first in feet and pounds, following that into standardization of the foot, expansion into large units and finally introducing the metric system. The book ends with a comparison of the two systems, and comments that the US will likely eventually switch over to metric to join the rest of the world. :) This is one of those great resources...more
Gina Valdes
Millions to Measure is a great book! I didn’t realize that there were so many books out there that dealt with curricular and could be used as learning tools. This book went into a lot of details about measuring. It also gave history and background about different measurements, which not a lot of educational books do. It gave an introduction to the universal measurements and how they differ from what students may currently use. It also talked about meter sticks, volume, and weight. I think that k...more
Tatiana
In Millions to Measure, written by David M. Schwartz and illustrated by Steven Kellogg, a group of children dispute the correct distance for their race and decide to consult Marvelosissimo the Mathematical Magician, launching an exploratory adventure into the history of how nonstandard measurement evolved into the Système Internationale, or metric system, as well as the conversions between the metric system and the inch-pound system used in the United States (and only in the US, stubborn rebels...more
Mary Conroy
This book has a ton of creative ways to measure, and makes the concept of measuring applicable to real life scenarios. The illustrations were a lot of fun; they were very detailed and colorful. This book would be great for an interactive read-aloud. Kids could discover how some ways to measure tings are not always accurate: for instance, all our feet are not the same size! (that would be a good place to incorporate some physical activity into the lesson. The book also gives reference points for...more
Kaylee Warzecha
A great and funny book talking about all different types of measurement and saying it in such a simple way that even children will be able to understand it. It covers both English an metric systems. Would be a wonderful book to use in teaching children how to measure things.
Dayna
With classic Steven Kellogg illustrations and clever presentation of historic measurement, this book is delightful. We love math-themed picture books and this one handily explains both standard & metric systems of measure.
Ashley
This book went into a lot of detail about measureing. It goes ove rhte confusion and history of measuring and the use of the universal ruler. It also explains the marking of a ruler and even goes into using a meter stick and its equevelency in feet. It also introduces the different units of measurement such as volume, and weight. The illustrations were also very interactive and included a fold out page that measured a full meter. The book would be extremely helpful as a supplement in teaching me...more
Kasmarine
"Marvelosissimo the mathematical magician measures magnificently!" The children wondered and asked question. Marvelosissimo came to the rescue. The children climbed aboard his air balloon and off they went. He took them back to the prehistorical period to explore how people measure things. Next, the kings, queens, and sultan in the medieval time. Then, back to the present time. Marvelosissimo explained how the non-standard unit evolved to the present standard of units of measurement. Great adven...more
Julia Southwick
Great book to teach measurement!
Lyndsey Hurm
This book is cute and shows a lot of different fun ways to measure things and relates measurement to real-life. This would be a great interactive read-aloud. I would read this book and then have the students partner up and choose something to measure and how they want to measure it and then tell the class about what they did and why. I could also use a detective type of theme and have them measure different things around the room to solve some sort of crime mystery. The illustrations are also re...more
Bree
Notes:
information overload if read as a story
measurement concepts -- history of, standard measurements, metric
Candice Mckinnon
Millions to measure is another cute book that talks about measuring. I like it because it addresses how people used to measure things before we had standard units, as well as the way we currently measure things. Teachers can focus on certain units in the book that need more attention if trying to teach a lesson about a specific unit. The book also includes more information about the metric system in the index if children or teachers wanted to read an overview of the metric system.
Quynh Le
I like that this book went back in time and talked about the different things that one would measure, such as height, weight, volume, distance, etc. After reading this book, students can come up with some ideas as to how they would measure certain things if they lived in a place without a scale or a place without a ruler, etc. This is a very informative book and would be great to use with older children. I also liked the section about the Metric System in the back.
Evelyn
Millions to Measure by David M. Schwartz is a very interesting book that teaches students about measurement. It allows students to see why measurement is important and even gives them facts about how measuring started. Students can learn how to measure in standard and metric units. They will also be able to learn about measuring weight, height, length, and width, volume, volume, meters and much more. I would use this book for students in 1st-3rd grade.
Jenny D
Jun 23, 2011 Jenny D added it
Shelves: ece-6391-6392
This book traces the history of measurement and everything that it can be used for. It concludes by discussing the ease of the metric system compared to the conversions of standard units. Give students tasks to measure in both standard and metric, then have them convert each. Have students discuss the difference in conversions in the metric system versus standard system. This can also be used as an anticipatory set for the metric Olympics.
Chloe Jackson
Millions to Measure is a great book for children because it talks about the history of measurement. The books explain why certain people used certain non standard measuring units and why some of these non standard units did not work. After reading this book to my students, we came up with our own definition of what a non standard measuring unit is and we came up with a list of non standard measuring units that we could use to measure things.
Susan
Ever wonder how our system of measurement developed or even why we have a system of measurement? This picture book recounts the history of measurement while detailing all the units measurement used in the English system for distance, weight and volume. The development and worldwide use of the metric system as well as the metric units of measure for distance, weight and volume are introduced in a short spread of pages.
Maxwoodliff
The illustrations in this book provide bold beautiful numbers that a student can recognize and become engaged in the story. I like how the book goes through the reasoning of why we need a common unit of measurement. It shows that different ways to measure like distance, weight, and volume. I would use this with a second grade class that is learning to measure and how to measure.
Amanda
My 4 yr old loved this one, but he's the letters/numbers/math type so that's probably why. It's a little long, but cut up into nice chunks you could read only what you wanted if there was antsy-ness. I thought it was a little strange that it tried to make the case for the US to go to metric at the end, but the fold out meter stick was fun for my son.
Sharia A.
This book seems to be magical. This book is filled with fancy colors and various pictures from all over the world. This book has a wizard that goes back into time that explores how people measure objects and parts from previous eras.This book asks the students questions in order for the students to get intrigued in the book and gather information.
Sarah Kasper
I love "Millions to Measure" because it's so clever! This book explains how to measure things and goes "back in time" to figure out how things were measured a long, long time ago. Children will enjoy this book and as a class they can come up with clever ways to measure things themselves without using a ruler or a yardstick!
Jodi Santora
I like this book for introducing measurement. It is a little difficult that it introduces American Standard units beside Metric units. That makes students think that they need to be able to compare the two, and that's nearly impossible. The Common Core Standards do not demand that I teach both systems in the third grade.
Angie Libert
The kids loved it and so did I.
Katie O'toole
After reading all the historical ways to measure things I would have class do research on the top ten ways things are measured worldwide today. If groups come up with different measurements class will debate which ones are used more frequently, or which would be more important to use today.
Joyce Munzwandi
Apr 18, 2012 Joyce Munzwandi added it
Shelves: math
The book is a good book for teaching a whole lot of concepts like length, weight and volume. The students can also learn about meters liters and grams. The teacher can set up some centres to teach all these concepts and students can have fun measuring using standard units.

Jennifer Borduin
What a great book on measurement! It goes through he history of measurement, how feet and cup measurements started, and even tells briefly of how the metric system came about! Kids will love to see how people long ago used their brains and creativity to figure out how to measure.
Mia Obiwo
This book has lots and lots of measuring scenerios! The one thing that I liked about this book the most is that it show how we can use measuring in real life. I would have students talk about how measuring is relavent to them after reading this book.
Cya
I love David Schwartz's illustrations! Really cool math book. I will definitely use this book to show creative ways to measure. Also this book touches on the history of measurement which I think is cool. I can use this book for a math measurement center.
Anna
Great picture book for math--explains the history of measurement in the world and the standards most countries use today.

Charming and humorous illustrations by Stephen Kellogg.

Read in Austin from Drew's library.
  • Counting on Frank
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • A Remainder of One
  • Measuring Penny
  • Apple Fractions
  • Sir Cumference and the First Round Table
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
  • Math For All Seasons
  • The Penny Pot
  • Grandfather Tang's Story
  • Pigs Will Be Pigs: Fun with Math and Money
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?
  • 100th Day Worries
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar
  • How Big Is a Foot?
  • Many Luscious Lollipops: A Book About Adjectives
  • Who Sank the Boat?
As a child, I was filled with a sense of awe as I contemplated the universe. The huge numbers of stars and their sizes and distances never failed to amaze me. With binoculars and magnifying glass, I also focused on closer subjects like birds, flowers, frogs and bugs.

But science and math weren't my only fascinations: I also loved bicycles, baseball, boats…and ice cream. Years later, on a clear spr...more
More about David M. Schwartz...
How Much Is a Million? If You Hopped Like A Frog Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed If You Made a Million G Is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book