Start by marking “Wishes” as Want to Read:
Wishes

Wishes (Montgomery/Taggert ( Publication order) #7)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  4,817 Ratings  ·  146 Reviews
Beloved New York Times bestselling author Jude Deveraux captures love’s magic in this heartwarming novel about desires that are unexpectedly fulfilled.

Jace Montgomery was a stranger in Chandler, Colorado. Tall, proud, and rugged, he would make any woman’s heart beat faster—even shy, sweet Nellie Grayson’s. Nellie, who has always been pleasantly plump, worked tirelessly to
Published February 1st 2004 by Pocket Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Wishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wishes

Aj the Ravenous Reader
A highly entertaining, enjoyable and humorous romantic novel.
S
Apr 29, 2012 S rated it did not like it
he Heroine (and that's stretching it a bit) is one of the most pathetic characters I've about in awhile. She spends more than half the book as a doormat with perhaps two little acts of defiance. TWO! And the romance between Nellie and her love is cute but not sizzling. Personally I thought the most interesting character in the book was perhaps Berni and that was even stretching it abit. I spent most of my time not focusing on the romance but on Nellies complete and utter nativity and total lack ...more
Sophie ♥
Jan 10, 2014 Sophie ♥ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partly-read
WHAT ON EARTH?????!
Alethea Kontis
Nov 25, 2012 Alethea Kontis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wishes is one of my favorite books of all time. Escapist fiction magic at its best, in a recipe that bakes only pure happiness.

When I broke up with my high school boyfriend, WISHES was one of the two books he refused to return to me.

The other book was The Princess Bride.
Pack-it-up
Jan 17, 2012 Pack-it-up rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like it perfectly describes how I felt about it. The fairy Godmother was useless, the main chick is a doormat, and the only person I liked was the guy, but even he started to bug me after a while, I like reading about strong women and strong men, who come together in passion, and both make compromises, huh, I've just got an idea for what to request a romance novel for...
Sanalith
Nov 16, 2012 Sanalith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical, 2012
Just...ugh. No. The concept had soooooo much potential, but it was horribly executed and completely unrealistic, even when you add in the "magic" of the "fairy godmother." Just no.
Shanelle
Jun 21, 2015 Shanelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WARNING: This is NOT a better love story than Twilight. And that's about as harsh as one can get.

Definitely one of the weirdest books I've ever read. At the end of it all, I don't get what the book was trying to say. That true love triumphs over every obstacle? Scratch that, magic trumps it all. Why introduce any conflict at all if you would fix them with a Deux (or Douche) Machina fairy godmother? If the fairy godmother could've made people fall in love with whomever, why did we even have this
Rebecca
The heroine for the most part is very lovable and beautiful, but I was very annoyed by many things. Her eating out of sadness was realistic and she needed emotional help for it, but since when is 160 pounds considered morbidly obese? If she was 260 I would be concerned.

The hero loved the young lady exactly as she was, so why have her lose weight? It was as though the author wanted everyone to "accept" the girl, and the only way to accomplish this is to make her thin, the way all women "have" to
Kamy
This is undoubtedly one of the weirdest books I have ever read. The plot is so unbelievably formulaic, the characters so steroetypically bland that I literally had to suspend any feeling realism in order to get any enjoyment out of this book. Meet Nellie, the most insecure woman on the planet. She could also give the Sugar Plum Fairy a few lessons in niceness and sacrifice. She was ridiculously depressing.

Meet her sister Terel, a selfish, egoistic brat who seriously had not the capacity to consi
Vava
Feb 01, 2015 Vava rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Aura
Nov 01, 2016 Aura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romántica
Hacía mucho que no disfrutaba un libro de romántica tanto como lo he hecho con este. Aunque le doy cuatro estrellas porque ha habido una cosa que no me ha convencido, y que no diré para no hacer spoilers a nadie. Pero incluso con esa pequeña cosa, el libro es una delicia.
Jace es un amor de hombre. Divertido, encantador, romántico...
Nellie es una mujer casi perfecta. Amable, compasiva, cariñosa... y una cenicienta para su familia.
Porque en realidad este libro es exactamente eso, una revisión d
Linsey Hall
Feb 09, 2014 Linsey Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite romance novel of all time. I first read it in high school (which may be one reason I hold it so dear) but I've just adored it ever since. It is a fantasy romance, a fairy tale, really. It is more fantasy-based than Deveraux's other novels. I've read some negative reviews, and I suppose that if one doesn't approach the novel as being a fairy tale (there is a fairy godmother!) then one might be disappointed. But as long as you are expecting a fairy tale and are willing to suspe ...more
Ashleigh Cartmill
Apr 15, 2009 Ashleigh Cartmill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot. Jace has got to be one of the best heroes ever. He's sweet and funny and rocks. I also love how they call the in-between place The Kitchen. It was nice to see Berni grow and a character and I loved the very end. Great romance novel for when you want to read something light and fun. And nicely free of explicit sex scenes so I didn't blush every time I tried to talk to my mom about it.
Christine
Feb 10, 2009 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was the first romance novel I ever read and it is still my favorite in that genre. It is unique in that it features an overweight heroine, which may be why I like it so much. It's not deep or brilliant -- it is a true example of the romance novel genre -- but it is comfortable. I re-read it from time to time to remind myself that true beauty lies within.
Janani
Jun 01, 2012 Janani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To meet a man who loves you for exactly who you are...
To have someone watch over you during your troubles...
To have a family filled with love and joy...
To have and to hold someone whom you shall forever love
And to know that the love shall be returned...
Makes life worth living.
Sylvia Hester
May 09, 2013 Sylvia Hester rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't do it. I read 36 pages in and could no longer deal with the woe is me mentality. I figured out the book within the first chapter. No need to read any more.
THe concept of the book is good but the story was awful.
Jessica
May 07, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is unusual. (1) It's a mixture of fantasy and historical fiction. (2) The heroine is overweight. Of course, the heroin loses the weight, but the handsome hero falls in love with her before the transformation.
Ralique
Sep 04, 2015 Ralique rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah...no. A spin on Cinderella but definitely not one that I liked. Obviously, you're meant to like the main characters but Nellie wasn't even human- she was a battering doll. And her family (especially Terel) weren't "human" either. They were evil for the sake of it.
Jage
Feb 06, 2013 Jage rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this book pissed me off to no end. other than Jace there were no likable characters in the story at all. and the ending ugh. I like happily ever after but when people who don't deserve it get them I am over it.
Laura Beasley
Feb 13, 2012 Laura Beasley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not much to the book. Very little plot and so far fetched.
Pamela
Aug 17, 2012 Pamela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a waste of my time. If I had another book to read, I never would have finished it. Too hokey to describe. Not worth the effort to even write a review.
Violet90
Sep 26, 2014 Violet90 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skimmed
Nettie was just too stupid for a 28 year old woman and I just got tired of her falling into her sister's traps.
Carolyn F.
Another book that started out not very interesting and got much better. A super Happy Ever After. But still enjoyable.
Ane
Mar 15, 2009 Ane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is one of the very, very, very, (did I say very?) few romance novels I will read and I liked it. (My mom edited all the sex scenes for me! thanks mom!)
Bridgett
I liked the Montgomery/Taggert series when I was younger, but this book was just goofy--fairy Godmothers, a division of Heaven called "The Kitchen," and a whole lot of stereotypes and cliche characters.
Joy
Oct 24, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, quick read that proved an excellent way to spend a few hours. Funny plot.
Karissa Keith
Jun 27, 2013 Karissa Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off I Have to start off by stating that this is one of the best books I've ever read!
And second that my free download was only half the book!! (only to page 168)
I can't tell you enough how much I love this book!
I give it 6 stars out of 5! And ill recommend it over and over again! It's a must read for everyone!
& I only read half!
I don't think I've ever felt so many emotions reading a book! It's funny, romantic, and sensual. You can feel the love seeping from the pages through your fin
Joy
May 17, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book on a sale recommendation from SBTB and the ridiculous premise, and it absolutely delivered and was a delight to read. It's a fun Cinderella-esque story, with some interesting twists, with a romance and a happily ever after at the end. No serious erotica or sex in this one, in fact it might've been better with a "and the firelight flickered and died," but that fits with the style and setting of the story overall. The story is set in a frontier Colorado town, but I'm not sure ...more
SmartBitches
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

THIS BOOK WAS COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS.

(I was promised ridiculous and then I got it.)

The core romance is pretty simple – guy meets girl, girl can’t understand why guy is interested, girl’s family conspires to keep girl from leaving them to their own devices. What Devereux does here is give you a book that sets you up for frustration and then gives you satisfaction. When you’re going, “OH MY GOD, YOU FUCKING IDIOTS, WOULD YOU JUST DO A THING,” there’s a char
Sol González
Sep 03, 2016 Sol González rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2007
Tal vez de todos los libros de Deveraux, este es de los más raros que he leído. Me hace falta leer bastante de ella, pero ya en poco acabo lo que aguanté en una pedrada.

En este libro comenzamos con otro personaje. Berni es una vieja que vivió como si nada en el mundo fuera más importante que ella. Se sabía hermosa y lo aprovechó para complacerse a sí misma. Consideraba que las mujeres feas eran feas porque querían serlo y que las triunfadoras sólo podían ser las hermosas.

Berni murió y todo mundo
  • Rosehaven (Medieval Song, #5)
  • Master of Love
  • Savage Thunder (Wyoming, #2)
  • Uncommon Vows
  • The Gamble
  • Seize the Fire
  • For the First Time (Ryland Brothers, #2)
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo
More about Jude Deveraux...

Montgomery/Taggert ( Publication order) (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Black Lyon (Montgomery/Taggert, #1)
  • The Duchess (Montgomery/Taggert, #2)
  • The Temptress (Montgomery/Taggert, #3)
  • The Raider (Montgomery/Taggert, #4)
  • Mountain Laurel (Montgomery/Taggert, #5)
  • Sweet Liar (Montgomery/Taggert, #6)
  • The Princess (Montgomery/Taggert, #8)
  • Eternity (Montgomery/Taggert, #9)
  • Someone to Love (Montgomery/Taggert, #10)
  • The Heiress (Montgomery/Taggart, #11)