Start by marking “The Money and the Power: The Making of Las Vegas and Its Hold on America” as Want to Read:
The Money and the Power: The Making of Las Vegas and Its Hold on America

The Money and the Power: The Making of Las Vegas and Its Hold on America

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  108 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Las Vegas–the name evokes images of divorce and dice, prostitutes and payoffs, gangsters and glitz. But beneath it all is a sordid history that is much more insidious and far-reaching than ever imagined. Now, at the dawn of the new century, this neon maelstrom of ruthlessness and greed stands to not as an aberrant “sin city,” but as a natural outgrowth of the corruption an ...more
Published March 12th 2002 by Vintage (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Money and the Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Money and the Power

Gwynneth
Feb 08, 2015 Gwynneth rated it it was amazing
This is a hard, hard book to read. I can understand why so many people ranked it low on various review sites because it shows the nasty underbelly of how the Vegas money machine runs/has run the political process on both the Republican and the Democratic sides for far longer than we ever wanted to know.

Meticulously researched (the Notes section alone takes up probably 20% of the book) Money and Power pulls aside the Oz curtain and shows things most of us don't want to see and/or can't handle. B
Claire
Feb 05, 2013 Claire rated it liked it
I have lived in Las Vegas for one year, and, as I will tell anyone that will listen, I bloody love the place. I have read bits here and there about the city but I thought it was time I read something more comprehensive, so I suggested this for my Las Vegas Non-Fiction book group.

The book is in three sections. The first section is an introduction to the six men who (arguably) have shaped the growth of Las Vegas the most, back in the day. Nobody is perfect, least of all the successful, so these me
Walt
Aug 08, 2011 Walt rated it liked it
The authors try to connect Las Vegas to every major historical event of the 1950s-1980s in America. There is also an attempt to show how a cabal of increasingly fewer and fewer casino owners, crooked politicians, and organized crime sought to influence national politics. The arguments have weak support and have a difficult time convincing even a sympathetic-minded conspiracy theorist.

Each chapter has references at the end of the book. The references do not refer to specific passages, but genera
Seán
Feb 16, 2010 Seán rated it really liked it
An update of Ed Reid's Green Felt Jungle (which still has the superior title, mind). Morris and Denton's book takes a grander sweep of Nevada history than does Reid, and brings us up to the millennium, Steve Wynn, and Harry Reid (no relation, Ed's kids will have you know!).

Sidenote: I have often been told that I mispronounce the name of the 36th state. Usually, I say "Na-va-da" and am admonished with "Na-vad-ah." AND YET! the derivation of the name is the Spanish word for snowy or snowfall, "n
James
Jul 27, 2009 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-in-amerika
The title makes you think the book is about Las Vegas, but it's really about money & power everywhere in America.

The authors posit that the "mob" isn't just gangsters, but also the politicians, judges, and rich people who work with them to bleed the country. They call it "The syndicate".

I'd heard rumors that j edgar Hoover was gay, this book gives details and the consequences.
Also many details about how the 1960 election was stolen.

Every story you ever heard about Joe kennedy being a cro
Rick Harsch
Oct 17, 2015 Rick Harsch rated it it was amazing
Researching Vegas and surrounds for a recent novel this was by far the most informative and compelling book, well-written despite having two authors, and pulling no punches--perhaps because most of the people they would have to fear are buried.
T Sunclades
May 13, 2014 T Sunclades rated it did not like it
The sourcing of the information gets in the way of the story at every possible point.

The worst construction of a narrative thread based on true events.
AngelaGay Kinkead
After a trip to Las Vegas last year, I've become interested in its history and the cast of characters that have contributed to its various facets. Casinos, hotels, the mob, air-conditioning, the LDS Church, politicians, etc. Learned more about the connections to government, the Kennedys, FBI and J. Edgar Hoover.
Curtis
Aug 02, 2011 Curtis rated it really liked it
Dense, thorough, fascinating read -- a sobering and undeniable case for how imbedded corruption is and has been in American government since at least the dawn of...Las Vegas. Shocking complicity by the Mormon Church adds to the sense of hypocrisy on efeels about them these days.
Amber
Dec 19, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
This was a fascinating look at the creation of Las Vegas and the effect his city has had on the world throughout the 20th century. Reading this book will make you look at th world of gambling, politics and crime differently.
Great book.
Francis Coulombe
Bon livre qui raconte une histoire de Las vegas où s'entremelent politique et criminalité.

Jane Lamine
Sep 15, 2013 Jane Lamine rated it it was amazing
Superb book
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Sierra Bailey
Sierra Bailey marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
J.w. Larrick
J.w. Larrick marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Hilary Blain
Hilary Blain marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Beckie
Beckie marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Michael Villasenor
Michael Villasenor marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Dasan
Dasan rated it it was amazing
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
David
David added it
Mar 26, 2016
Sarah's Book Nook
Sarah's Book Nook marked it as to-read
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Rock
Rock marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
  • Citizen Hughes: The Power, the Money and the Madness of the Man portrayed in the Movie THE AVIATOR
  • The Sins of the Father: Joseph P. Kennedy and the Dynasty He Founded
  • The Sexual State of the Union
  • Seven Years to Seven Figures: The Fast-Track Plan to Becoming a Millionaire
  • Super Casino: Inside the "New" Las Vegas
  • Presidential Campaigns: From George Washington to George W. Bush
  • The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy
  • Hidden from History: Reclaiming the Gay and Lesbian Past