The Money and the Power: The Making of Las Vegas and Its Hold on America

The Money and the Power: The Making of Las Vegas and Its Hold on America

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Las Vegas–the name evokes images of divorce and dice, prostitutes and payoffs, gangsters and glitz. But beneath it all is a sordid history that is much more insidious and far-reaching than ever imagined. Now, at the dawn of the new century, this neon maelstrom of ruthlessness and greed stands to not as an aberrant “sin city,” but as a natural outgrowth of the corruption an...more
Published March 12th 2002 by Vintage (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Money and the Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Money and the Power

Claire
I have lived in Las Vegas for one year, and, as I will tell anyone that will listen, I bloody love the place. I have read bits here and there about the city but I thought it was time I read something more comprehensive, so I suggested this for my Las Vegas Non-Fiction book group.

The book is in three sections. The first section is an introduction to the six men who (arguably) have shaped the growth of Las Vegas the most, back in the day. Nobody is perfect, least of all the successful, so these me...more
Walt
The authors try to connect Las Vegas to every major historical event of the 1950s-1980s in America. There is also an attempt to show how a cabal of increasingly fewer and fewer casino owners, crooked politicians, and organized crime sought to influence national politics. The arguments have weak support and have a difficult time convincing even a sympathetic-minded conspiracy theorist.

Each chapter has references at the end of the book. The references do not refer to specific passages, but genera...more
Seán
An update of Ed Reid's Green Felt Jungle (which still has the superior title, mind). Morris and Denton's book takes a grander sweep of Nevada history than does Reid, and brings us up to the millennium, Steve Wynn, and Harry Reid (no relation, Ed's kids will have you know!).

Sidenote: I have often been told that I mispronounce the name of the 36th state. Usually, I say "Na-va-da" and am admonished with "Na-vad-ah." AND YET! the derivation of the name is the Spanish word for snowy or snowfall, "ne...more
James
The title makes you think the book is about Las Vegas, but it's really about money & power everywhere in America.

The authors posit that the "mob" isn't just gangsters, but also the politicians, judges, and rich people who work with them to bleed the country. They call it "The syndicate".

I'd heard rumors that j edgar Hoover was gay, this book gives details and the consequences.
Also many details about how the 1960 election was stolen.

Every story you ever heard about Joe kennedy being a cro...more
T Sunclades
The sourcing of the information gets in the way of the story at every possible point.

The worst construction of a narrative thread based on true events.
AngelaGay Kinkead
After a trip to Las Vegas last year, I've become interested in its history and the cast of characters that have contributed to its various facets. Casinos, hotels, the mob, air-conditioning, the LDS Church, politicians, etc. Learned more about the connections to government, the Kennedys, FBI and J. Edgar Hoover.
Curtis
Dense, thorough, fascinating read -- a sobering and undeniable case for how imbedded corruption is and has been in American government since at least the dawn of...Las Vegas. Shocking complicity by the Mormon Church adds to the sense of hypocrisy on efeels about them these days.
Amber
This was a fascinating look at the creation of Las Vegas and the effect his city has had on the world throughout the 20th century. Reading this book will make you look at th world of gambling, politics and crime differently.
Great book.
Francis Coulombe
Bon livre qui raconte une histoire de Las vegas où s'entremelent politique et criminalité.

Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Emeline
Emeline marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Van
Van marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Caroline Russell
Caroline Russell marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
William Bledsoe
William Bledsoe marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Derrick Morton
Derrick Morton is currently reading it
May 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Bluegrass Conspiracy: An Inside Story of Power, Greed, Drugs and Murder American Massacre: The Tragedy at Mountain Meadows, September 1857 Faith and Betrayal: A Pioneer Woman's Passage in the American West The Plots Against the President: FDR, A Nation in Crisis, and the Rise of the American Right Passion and Principle: John and Jessie Fremont, the Couple Whose Power, Politics, and Love Shaped Nineteenth-Century America