Start by marking “The Money and the Power: The Making of Las Vegas and Its Hold on America” as Want to Read:
The Money and the Power: The Making of Las Vegas and Its Hold on America

The Money and the Power: The Making of Las Vegas and Its Hold on America

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Las Vegas–the name evokes images of divorce and dice, prostitutes and payoffs, gangsters and glitz. But beneath it all is a sordid history that is much more insidious and far-reaching than ever imagined. Now, at the dawn of the new century, this neon maelstrom of ruthlessness and greed stands to not as an aberrant “sin city,” but as a natural outgrowth of the corruption an ...more
Published March 12th 2002 by Vintage (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Money and the Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Money and the Power

Gwynneth
This is a hard, hard book to read. I can understand why so many people ranked it low on various review sites because it shows the nasty underbelly of how the Vegas money machine runs/has run the political process on both the Republican and the Democratic sides for far longer than we ever wanted to know.

Meticulously researched (the Notes section alone takes up probably 20% of the book) Money and Power pulls aside the Oz curtain and shows things most of us don't want to see and/or can't handle. B
Claire
I have lived in Las Vegas for one year, and, as I will tell anyone that will listen, I bloody love the place. I have read bits here and there about the city but I thought it was time I read something more comprehensive, so I suggested this for my Las Vegas Non-Fiction book group.

The book is in three sections. The first section is an introduction to the six men who (arguably) have shaped the growth of Las Vegas the most, back in the day. Nobody is perfect, least of all the successful, so these me
Walt
The authors try to connect Las Vegas to every major historical event of the 1950s-1980s in America. There is also an attempt to show how a cabal of increasingly fewer and fewer casino owners, crooked politicians, and organized crime sought to influence national politics. The arguments have weak support and have a difficult time convincing even a sympathetic-minded conspiracy theorist.

Each chapter has references at the end of the book. The references do not refer to specific passages, but genera
Seán
An update of Ed Reid's Green Felt Jungle (which still has the superior title, mind). Morris and Denton's book takes a grander sweep of Nevada history than does Reid, and brings us up to the millennium, Steve Wynn, and Harry Reid (no relation, Ed's kids will have you know!).

Sidenote: I have often been told that I mispronounce the name of the 36th state. Usually, I say "Na-va-da" and am admonished with "Na-vad-ah." AND YET! the derivation of the name is the Spanish word for snowy or snowfall, "n
James
The title makes you think the book is about Las Vegas, but it's really about money & power everywhere in America.

The authors posit that the "mob" isn't just gangsters, but also the politicians, judges, and rich people who work with them to bleed the country. They call it "The syndicate".

I'd heard rumors that j edgar Hoover was gay, this book gives details and the consequences.
Also many details about how the 1960 election was stolen.

Every story you ever heard about Joe kennedy being a cro
T Sunclades
The sourcing of the information gets in the way of the story at every possible point.

The worst construction of a narrative thread based on true events.
AngelaGay Kinkead
After a trip to Las Vegas last year, I've become interested in its history and the cast of characters that have contributed to its various facets. Casinos, hotels, the mob, air-conditioning, the LDS Church, politicians, etc. Learned more about the connections to government, the Kennedys, FBI and J. Edgar Hoover.
Curtis
Dense, thorough, fascinating read -- a sobering and undeniable case for how imbedded corruption is and has been in American government since at least the dawn of...Las Vegas. Shocking complicity by the Mormon Church adds to the sense of hypocrisy on efeels about them these days.
Amber
This was a fascinating look at the creation of Las Vegas and the effect his city has had on the world throughout the 20th century. Reading this book will make you look at th world of gambling, politics and crime differently.
Great book.
Francis Coulombe
Bon livre qui raconte une histoire de Las vegas où s'entremelent politique et criminalité.

Brian Miller
Brian Miller marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Liam Relihan
Liam Relihan marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Elissa
Elissa marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Donna Kubiak
Donna Kubiak is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2015
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Lee
Lee added it
May 11, 2015
Timothy R. Carter
Timothy R. Carter marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
  • The Sexual State of the Union
  • Hidden from History: Reclaiming the Gay and Lesbian Past
  • Super Casino: Inside the "New" Las Vegas
  • Cowboys Full: The Story of Poker
  • The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy
  • The End of Iraq: How American Incompetence Created a War Without End
  • Counterknowledge
  • The Unseen Hand: An Introduction to the Conspiratoral View of History
  • Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players
  • Cannabis: A History
  • Colossus: Hoover Dam and the Making of the American Century
  • Nothing to Fear: FDR's Inner Circle and the Hundred Days That Created ModernAmerica
  • Answer Them Nothing: Bringing Down the Polygamous Empire of Warren Jeffs
  • Rewriting History
The Bluegrass Conspiracy American Massacre: The Tragedy at Mountain Meadows, September 1857 Faith and Betrayal: A Pioneer Woman's Passage in the American West The Plots Against the President: FDR, A Nation in Crisis, and the Rise of the American Right Passion and Principle: John and Jessie Fremont, the Couple Whose Power, Politics, and Love Shaped Nineteenth-Century America