Start by marking “American Indian Stories, Legends, and Other Writings” as Want to Read:
American Indian Stories, Legends, and Other Writings

American Indian Stories, Legends, and Other Writings

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Edna Pontellier, a young wife and mother, refuses to be caged by married and domestic life and claims for herself moral and erotic freedom. Through careful, subtle changes of style, Kate Chopin shows Edna's transformation-and its tragic consequences. This unique volume also includes some of Chopin's finest stories, among them At the 'Cadian Ball and Dsire's Baby.
Edited wi
Published February 25th 2003 by Penguin Books

Be the first to ask a question about American Indian Stories, Legends, and Other Writings

Kelly
Zitkala-Sa knows (knew if you really want to get literal) what she's doin'. The first trickster book I picked up was rather stark, and unloving in storytelling. If anything, it was jammed with information, narrative seemed to be going extinct (like Doritos seem to be on a Friday night).

I started with hair of all things. It's something I have been feeling guilty about, and what is left is just a symbol of an antagonistic rebellion (long story). But instead of death "taking" her hair, it was a pi
Lesliemae
I feel deeply ambivalent about this book, and with good reason. My facility with indigenous worldview is what I perceive to be "highly lacking". My experience with indigenous story, methodology and decolonization practice comes to me entirely second-hand through my partner (who, himself, does not claim facility - in spite of working in the area for the past five years.) The reason for this is simple - we are white colonials and will never fully understand the violence that continues to occur to ...more
Meredith
While the first two sections of legends and fictional stories were fascinating, the editorials, articles, and speeches which comprised the second half of the book became redundant and dry very quickly.
Teshamae
I love Zitkala-Sa (Gertrude Bonin). She writes simply, but with deep meaning, the sort of stories you find more in each time you read them. She is a contradictory person, one whom many Natives place on the wrong side of various political issues, yet I think her heart was always in the right place. Her trilogy (Impressions of an Indian Childhood, The School Days of an Indian Girl and An Indian Teacher Among Indians) present a close look at Indian Boarding Schools and the push towards assimilation ...more
Wildflower_girl
Oct 31, 2007 Wildflower_girl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Native American writing
I found this book whilst perusing the shelves in a college textbook shop. (I do that a lot... looking for interesting books even if I'm not taking the class.) It is a combination of some folk-tales and also a "fictional" (though really autobiographical) story of Zitkala-Sa's experiences as a a First Nations person who is forced into typical "american" education. Very cool book... read it.
Kristen
In some ways, the best writer I've ever read. Zitkala-Sa voices skepticism for the "white man's education" (literacy, epistemology). She navigates between two cultures, ultimately finding herself "a cold bare pole...planted in a strange earth"--uprooted from her culture. She questions whether this strange earth--"this semblance of civilization"-- brings everlasting life or death.
Erin Rother
So pleased to have discovered her writing and can't help wishing I had read "Impressions of an Indian Childhood" and "The School Days of an Indian Girl" when I was eleven or so and immersed in Laura Ingalls Wilder--a different (for me) perspective on a young woman's coming of age in 19th Century Western America.
Casey
Well written stories and legends, the poetry was not my thing but it seemed well done too. The narratives were interesting looks into the native american culture specifically the dakota tribes and also a good representation of the assimilation process and its wrongs as well.
Rachel Lewis
I adore Zitkala-Sa. Absolutely and completely. The honesty in this book is baffling, as she does not hide anger or hatred. The prose is beautiful, and the organization of the book (a mixture of legend and life stories) makes for a unique read. Definitely pick this one up.
Leslie
A great historical document on early American/Indian relations, especially our attempts to "americanize" them by ripping them from their homes as children. I read this to research a story I'm writing. Very interesting.
Phillip
this book might be best appreciated for the essays on native conflicts with the u.s. government. i was a little disappointed with her re-telling of native american legends and myths.
Olde
American Indian Stories gives very nice perspective to the realist/naturalist genre. Very good read. The more you put in the more you get out.
Andrew
very insightful into the westernisation of the native american told from a native's point of view.
Deborah
I loved these stories of American Indian lore.
Kate
I think of her words so often.
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Desiree
Desiree marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Melanie
Melanie is currently reading it
Nov 14, 2014
April
April added it
Oct 21, 2014
Charlestina O'kane
Charlestina O'kane marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
alexis willey
alexis willey is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Alexandra Schratz
Alexandra Schratz marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Mariami
Mariami marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Tim Linder
Tim Linder marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
  • Learning Joy from Dogs without Collars: A Memoir
  • Latin American Folktales: Stories from Hispanic and Indian Traditions (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Ruth Hall: A Domestic Tale of the Present Time
  • Archeology of Violence
  • Spider Woman's Granddaughters: Traditional Tales and Contemporary Writing by Native American Women
  • Medicine Stories: History, Culture and the Politics of Integrity
  • Native American Testimony: A Chronicle of Indian-White Relations from Prophecy to the Present
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Hope Leslie: or, Early Times in the Massachusetts
  • The Coming of Age
  • Breaking the Magic Spell: Radical Theories of Folk and Fairy Tales
  • Great Speeches by Native Americans
  • A Century of Dishonor: A Sketch of the United States Government�s Dealings with some of the Indian Tribes
  • Locke: Political Writings
  • Main-Travelled Roads
  • Democracy: An American Novel
  • Knots
  • Arab Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
Zitkala-Ša (Dakota: pronounced zitkála-ša, which translates to "Red Bird") also known by the missionary-given name Gertrude Simmons Bonnin, was a Sioux writer, editor, musician, teacher and political activist. She wrote several works chronicling her struggles in her youth as she was pulled back and forth between the influences of dominant American culture and her own Native American heritage, as w ...more
More about Zitkala-Ša...
American Indian Stories Impressions of an Indian Childhood Old Indian Legends The School Days of an Indian Girl Dance in a Buffalo Skull