Start by marking “Spring Bear: A Novella” as Want to Read:
Spring Bear: A Novella

Spring Bear: A Novella

2.91 of 5 stars 2.91  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In Evvie Mallow, author Betsy Connor Bowen has created a contemporary classic. Born and raised in the Maine woods, her family disintegrating around her, Evvie is caught in a conflict between irreconcilable forces – the instinct to protect her unborn child and the freedom to choose a life for herself. With dignity and grace, she keeps a Yankee silence about her own acts of ...more
Published December 7th 2009 by iUniverse.com (first published April 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Spring Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spring Bear

Christy Stewart
This is the brain child of an older woman who yearns for small town mentalities and the perseverance of the human spirit, and I'm pretty sure she loves bears. Three strikes for me.
Tonya
A good story, she has the right idea. The first couple of pages I was thinking it was going to be an awesome read. Then it went downhill. The writing is disjointed and hard to keep up with. It didn't flow smoothly. I wanted to care about Evvie but I didn't really get to know her. I think even being a novella, it could have had less about the agent and more in depth of characters. Pelletier seemed dull and I don't know why his family was really even there. I mean the fishing story, what was that ...more
Amber Downing
After reading the prologue the book seemed very intriguing. It didn't last throughout the book though. I think that the author did a very good job of capturing what it is like to be a person living in a small Maine town, but I didn't feel very connected to the characters. I also had trouble following the time line of the story. It seemed disjointed at points. I realize that it is a novella and supposed to short but I was left wanting more from the book.
Kristilyn

from my blog Reading In Winter

Spring Bear was a book I won through GoodReads a few years ago. It had sat in my pile of TBR books since then until I finally decided it would be a good thing to read and review it.

A small “novella,” Spring Bear tells the story of Evvie Mallow who, when she finds out that she is with child, takes matters into her own hands, battling against her family in order to give her child the freedom it needs.

This is the first novel of author Betsy Connor Bowen and it is a sad

Helen
I received this novella from the First Reads program here at Goodreads. Spring Bear is the story of a girl called Evvie Mallow who lives in the small town of Soper's Mills, Maine. Evvie's father suffered bad head injuries in an accident which left him unable to speak or take care of himself, and her mother has become involved with another man – Lester Darrow, a surly, aggressive man who traps bears in the woods.

Evvie dreams of going to California and escaping from the poverty and misery of her h
Anne_MB
Reading this book today was for me a surreal experience....here it is the middle of summer, today around 36 degrees Celsius with 38 forecast tomorrow, and we have had no rain for something like 69 days, which is approaching a record to match the record of this being our hottest summer on record. Plus I have never seen snow.
And all of that reminds me of course of one of the greatest pleasures to be had from reading, that of immersing yourself in a story set in another part of the world, reading a
Jen
I received this book for free through First Reads. Althought the book was not long, it was packed with a full length story. Reading the story almost felt like speed reading. The story itself was a good one. There was no real character depth and I did notice places where I wanted to learn more about the character; go more in depth about who they are and what they are about. I also noticed places where I was confused about the time line. One paragraph would say, for instance, "late March" and the ...more
amber
Evvie Mallow is a teenage girl who's good with a gun and knows how to take care of herself. Think Ree Dolly in winter's bone or Margo Crawford of Once Upon a River. In other words Jennifer Lawence would play her in the movie if there ever was one. Spring Bear opens with pregnant Evvie shooting a man in the back then flashes back in time to tell the story of what drove Evvie to such desperate meassures and what ultimitely happens to her as a result. told in spare prose in a brief 79 pages Spring ...more
Ellie
A lot of people have critisms about this book, the writing style and depth of characters and plot development. What we need to keep in mind it the length of the story, it's a full length story that has been cut short. I think this makes it unique.

In my opinion it was a lovely little story. I came home from class last night and it wasn't very late (maybe 7) but I was exhausted. So I sat down with this book and I finished it last night. But it was nicer than your normal short story because of it's
Christine
I won this book as a giveaway here on Goodreads, and I was very excited to get started. I have a soft spot for all things Maine, and the description really intrigued me.

The story is short, and sad, but the characters are dynamic and the plot moves quickly along. Although the ending (and to be honest, the beginning and the middle) of the story was quite tragic, I thought that Evvie had managed to overcome her bad situation and do the right thing for her baby. The writing style took me some time
Renee
What I found very different about this book was that the author was able to richly convey a world (totally foreign to me until now) in very few words. Add to that some seriously shocking events, a horrifying character or two and you have the makings of a great piece of writing. The one problem was the use of time in the story. I found myself having to work to figure out the sequence of events at times. Overall, though, it's well worth reading.
Sarita Rogers
Betsy Conner Bowen skillfully grabs the readers’ interest right from the first pages of her Spring Bear: A Novella. This book brings you to Soper’s Mill, Maine a place that is small-town-America. Here, the people are unassuming and life is simple, and yet still complicated. Raw humanity is revealed as the life of Evvie Marrow unfolds. I highly recommend reading Spring Bear and discovering something about your own humanity.
Tammy Kennedy
It was a good book, upon the books arrive I was skeptical but upon starting to read the book I was thrown by the incomplete sentences but after reading first page realized it was trying to emphasize the way of life, education and the country the characters were being portrayed as.
I liked reading the book
It would have been a good book to start a series to read about their lives as time progressed
Shannon
This was a wonderful little novella. Beautiful writing, great flow, excellent voice. I could have read much more on the issues. A book comprised of many of these little encounters would be absolutely fantastic (much in the vein of Rick Bass). Anyways, I loved it. I recommend it. To the Author: please write more!
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
For some reason, I found this book to be very confusing. Needless to say, I didn't like it. It seemed like it was missing something, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.
AJ Best
The first page was too painful to read and I just couldn't keep going. Sentence structure was very unclear.
I won this from Library Thing and found this to be confusing. This book missed the mark for me.
Cody
Jan 11, 2010 Cody marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book on First-reads
Hannah
Hannah added it
Aug 09, 2013
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2012
Layla
Layla marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2010
Kim Stenner
Kim Stenner marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2010
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2010
Betsy Connor Bowen has worked as a community organizer, elementary schoolteacher, college instructor and assistant professor, securities analyst, journalist, and filmmaker.

She has a PhD in English and Comparative Literature and an MBA in finance. She has written academic articles, investment reports, short stories, local history, a novella (Spring Bear, Maine Literary Award 2010), and is currentl
More about Betsy Connor Bowen...
Croswell Bowen: A Writer's Life, A daughter's Biography Spring Bear Back From Tobruk