Start by marking “Essentials in Church History: A History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints from the Birth of Joseph Smith to the Present Time 1922” as Want to Read:

Essentials in Church History: A History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints from the Birth of Joseph Smith to the Present Time 1922 (Classics in Mormon Literature)

1922. With Introductory Chapters on the Antiquity of the Gospel and the Falling Away. Written by an Elder and Historian of the Church and a member of the Council of the Twelve Apostles. In the spring of 1820, young Joseph Smith Jr. retired to the woods near his home and offered a simple prayer to our Father in Heaven. A series of remarkable spiritual experiences prepared ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Essentials in Church History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essentials in Church History

Malinda
Jul 17, 2013 Malinda rated it really liked it
This was a great book about the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and I really enjoyed it. It was beefy and read more like a textbook but I really am glad I read it as I learned a lot about this church and gospel that I love.
Richard Downey
Jun 21, 2013 Richard Downey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The actual edition that I'm reading carries the history through to the Presidency of Joseph Fielding Smith. It was a present to me as I went into the mission field.
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2011
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2009
John Wright
John Wright rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2009
Kendalbhunter
Kendalbhunter rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2012
Anthony Valletta
Anthony Valletta rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2009
Sheldon Loar
Sheldon Loar rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Steven Montgomery
Steven Montgomery rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2009
Jeffrey Arguelles
Jeffrey Arguelles rated it did not like it
Dec 01, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2010
Ailton Santos
Ailton Santos rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2011
Wawa1209
Wawa1209 rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2010
Sherman
Sherman rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2008
Ruben
Ruben rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2009
Steven Amott
Steven Amott rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Michael Bennett
Michael Bennett rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Boyd
Boyd rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2008
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Doug Preston
Doug Preston rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2012
Brett
Brett rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2009
Chester Dale
Chester Dale rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2008
Ross Richey
Ross Richey rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Elise
Elise rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2008
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2016
Joseph Fielding Smith, Jr. was the tenth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) from 1970 until his death. He was the son of Joseph F. Smith, who was the sixth president of the LDS Church. His grandfather was Hyrum Smith, brother of LDS Church founder Joseph Smith, Jr., who was Joseph Fielding's great-uncle.
More about Joseph Fielding Smith...