Start by marking “Vices of My Blood (Detective Murdoch, #6)” as Want to Read:
Vices of My Blood (Detective Murdoch, #6)

Vices of My Blood (Detective Murdoch #6)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The compelling new novel by Canada’s answer to Anne Perry.

In his forties, the Reverend Charles Howard still cut an impressive figure. A married Presbyterian minister in Toronto’s east end, Howard was popular with the congregation that elected him, especially with the ladies, and most particularly with Miss Sarah Dignam. Respected in the community, Howard, as Visitor for th
Published May 18th 2010 by McClelland & Stewart (first published April 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Vices of My Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vices of My Blood

Kathleen Hagen
Vices of my Blood, by Maureen Jennings, a-minus, Narrated by David Narantz, Produced by Audible inc., downloaded from audible.com.

In the sixth book of the series, Detective Murdoch is called to a church where there is the body of the dead minister in his office with a letter opener sticking out of his neck. The police are summoned by one of the church ladies who have come to get ready for a prayer meeting. She is extremely upset and the rumor is that she has thrown herself at the minister despit
Kb
I was introduced to the Murdoch Mysteries television series before I became aware of the books on which the show is based. This is my second favourite of the Murdoch books (after 'Night's Child'). I really like the character of schoolteacher and "rational dress" advocate Amy as Murdoch's love interest. Dr. Julia Ogden is only a peripheral character in the book.

In this story, a beloved (by most) pastor is found brutally murdered, and Murdoch must find out who killed him and why. Did the man surp
Sue
as I state with all the books in this series characters are totally different from TV series and at end of this book Murdoch proposes to a character that hadn't appeared in TV series. however books still show the living conditions etc of tCanada at this time very well , especially in this book where Murdoch ends up pretending to be homeless for a night to help solve the clue of the murder victims missing boots. rather obvious early in book to me who murderer was and why but overall very enjoyabl ...more
CJ
I enjoyed this book much more than the last one I read. The characters are more real and the plot thicker. It's still very different from the tv series as far as the main characters' relationships go, but the non-viewer will find the interactions here quite satisfying. Those who have not read previous books may want to go back to discover the importance of people mentioned but not appearing in this story.
Emma
This is by far my favourite Murdoch book as it runs a lot more smoothly than the others and it doesn't confuse me with all the characters involved in the story. Maureen Jennings does another fantastic job on delving into different aspects of Victorian Toronto and showing us that life back then was just as varied. The ending is a nice contrast to the horrors we experience in the book and whilst I had an inkling that something like that was going to happen, it wasn't spoilt. All in all one of the ...more
Diana
The book takes place in Toronto during the 1890’s. Rev. Howard, a well liked minister, is found murdered in his church office. Detective Murdoch’s investigation takes him to the poorer part of the city where he experiences what it is like to be destitute and have to rely on a workhouse for food and shelter. Other characters in the story who are poor, display more imagination and are able to survive using their wits. Aside from the solution to the murder, the reader is given an idea of what life ...more
Lorraine
Love my home town!!!!! and love Maureen Jennings!!!!
Alyn Lunt
great read. thoroughly enjoyed it.
Aimless Lady
Loved it. Maureen sets you in the past and doesn't gloss over the realities of the time period.
Carole Moran
This Murdoch mystery had a much simpler plot than others in the series that I have read. It was also much easier to read, without the going back and forth from time to time or from character to character. It was very straight forward with a predictable plot, but well done and well researched. The lives of people reduced to poverty in the late Victorian era are powerfully described in this novel, as in all of Maureen Jennings' Murdoch series.
James
Maureen Jennings continues to provide a good story with lots of thought given to the solving of the crime. Detective Murdoch again proves himself to be through in his investigation and not to quick to come to a decision as to the guilty party. A great read, good characterisation and a good sense of the time and city which provides the setting for the stories.
Tina
Fascinating - I found the depiction of religion and poverty in Toronto in the 1890's completely absorbing. What keeps me from giving it five stars is the lack of character depth - along the lines of Louise Penny or Elizabeth George - but nonetheless suitably entertaining.
Mary G.
It has been a number of years since I read a book by Maureen Jennings and this one did not disappoint. The characters were great and setting very interesting. The plot was well thought out. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Helena
Great mystery book! Liked it as much as the TV series - will probably read more. Helped I was taking a course downtown TO right in the area where the book takes place, so was kind of fun.
Doug
Maureen Jennings just continues to throw out surprises with each Murdoch Mystery. They are different from the TV series with characters who are not in the TV series.
Patti
This is the book I have most connected with in this series so far. It seemed more focused, and the plot and case moved forward in a sensible way.

Recommended
Kirsten
This installment didn't grab me as much as the others. I solved the "mystery" in the first third of the book so there wasn't much suspense.
Riversue
Loved it. Another great Detective Murdock mystery for those who like their mysteries Victorian and Canadian.
Eden Bowditch
Really fun historic fiction. The characters come through as real people and the feel of the era is great.
Jacqueline
Huh. I correctly guessed the who from the beginning...but not the why.
Gennifer Miller
I think this will be my favorite of the Murdoch Mysteries.
Kelly Beauchamp
Can't put it down, though it is a little dark.
Anie
Typically entertaining.
Silvey
Silvey marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Denise Jurich
Denise Jurich marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Glenn Short
Glenn Short marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
  • Crime Machine (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #5)
  • Cabbagetown
  • Do or Die (Inspector Green Mystery, #1)
  • Leaving Earth
  • The Watch that Ends the Night
  • Barnacle Love
  • The Orkney Scroll (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #10)
  • Young Renny (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #4)
  • A Colder Kind of Death (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #4)
  • The Poisoned Pawn (Inspector Ramirez, #2)
  • The Red Pole of Macau (Ava Lee, #4)
  • Raymond and Hannah
  • The Incident Report
  • The Bastard of Fort Stikine: The Hudson's Bay Company and the Murder of John McLoughlin, Jr.
  • Old City Hall (Detective Greene, #1)
Maureen Jennings, now a Canadian Citizen, was born on Eastfield Road in Birmingham, England and spent her formative years there until she emigrated to Canada at the age of seventeen with her mother.

This has meant that she still feels a deep connection with her homeland. It has also no doubt been a strong influence in her love for, and her writing about, the Victorian period. She attended the Unive
More about Maureen Jennings...

Detective Murdoch (7 books)
  • Except the Dying (Detective Murdoch, #1)
  • Under the Dragon's Tail (Detective Murdoch, #2)
  • Poor Tom Is Cold (Detective Murdoch, #3)
  • Let Loose the Dogs (Detective Murdoch, #4)
  • Night's Child (Detective Murdoch, #5)
  • A Journeyman to Grief (Detective Murdoch, #7)
Except the Dying (Detective Murdoch, #1) Under the Dragon's Tail (Detective Murdoch, #2) Poor Tom Is Cold (Detective Murdoch, #3) Season of Darkness (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #1) Let Loose the Dogs (Detective Murdoch, #4)