Start by marking “One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest” as Want to Read:
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Twenty reprinted essays explore the 1962 book's literary themes, psychological issues and characters, as well as the 1975 film adaptation. A biography of Ken Kesey introduces the book. Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR
Published December 31st 2000 by Greenhaven Press (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Allison
Jun 16, 2008 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those books that usered me into consciousness and adulthood.
Jed
Jun 08, 2015 Jed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was an amazing read. It symbolized so much in a comical yet serious tone. And it was written in such a manor that the story enraptured you and kept you guessing as to what would happen next. The narrator, chief, was a well thought out choice for the main role. His self containment made for a crazy story with even crazier outcomes.
Since the story is narrated by a World War Two veteran with schizophrenia, the story is filled with flashbacks, hallucinations, and m
Jennifer Sanchez
Sep 12, 2015 Jennifer Sanchez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reilly
Sep 04, 2013 Reilly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm in love with this novel. The point of view coming from Chief was brilliant and heart warming as you follow his journeys in the psychiatric ward with his new friend, McMurphy. No novel has truly made me feel such a way at the ending as this one did. Everyone should read this book at least once in their life
Darchelle
May 15, 2008 Darchelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember having to read this book in Junior High School and how intrigued I was by it. You know children are very seldom so into a book that is required reading. I was not only into it, I read it a few times. Then I saw the movie and had to go back and read it again, just to see how close the movie came to this excellant book. This is what the good stuff is made of.
Alexa
Jan 05, 2013 Alexa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know I never read this in high school or college, but it made the reading now all the sweeter. Chief Bromden's narration of McMurphy's story (and his own) alternates between hallucinatory visions and a more lucid storytelling as the Chief makes his journey towards sanity. Ken Kesey's writing never falters. It's a beautiful, and heartbreaking, novel.
Andrea
Dec 29, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone - some mature subjects
Recommended to Andrea by: My mom
What a wonderful surprise this book has been. Funny and touching. Much more than I expected.

We're all walking wounded but the determining factor of our health just depends on which side of the combine we are on...
Kiya Cratty
This was an interesting book. At first it was really hard to follow since the main character kept jumping from his dreams or alternate reality to the actual present time, but once I got over the bumps it was o.k. not a book I might ever read again.
Franny Bittman
May 25, 2008 Franny Bittman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting perspective- a mute Native American in a mental ward. Great story line. Tough ending- but great lessons about humanity.
jessie burgdorf
Confusion
Jeanne
Jun 06, 2013 Jeanne rated it liked it
Why does Goodreads not show Kesey's original book as an option???
William
Oct 30, 2008 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like to go against the grain
I hate it when the bad guy wins.

Amazing story, but when the bad guy wins, you lose a star.

Amazing characters. Amazing story. Amazing style.
Robyn
how do you get it to let you read it
Whitney
Dec 13, 2008 Whitney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book and movie!
Steph
Mar 04, 2014 Steph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful and sad story about human dignity.
Theresa
Feb 07, 2013 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me longer to read the book this time, because I knew the ending and wanted to avoid it, but once I got close to the end, I had to finish it fast.
Joshua Bishop
Joshua Bishop rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Kenneth Ashline
Kenneth Ashline rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2013
Jelseth
Jelseth rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2009
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2007
Kate Wardwell
Kate Wardwell rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2013
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2007
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2012
Zyanya Bazely
Zyanya Bazely rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2013
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2010
Patrizia
Patrizia rated it it was ok
Oct 26, 2014
Evan Ruede
Evan Ruede rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Matt Gendusa
Matt Gendusa rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2014
  • The Process of Education
  • Franz Kafka's the Metamorphosis
  • Feminisms: An Anthology of Literary Theory and Criticism
  • The Logic of Alice: Clear Thinking in Wonderland
  • Principles of Literary Criticism (Routledge Classics)
  • A Portrait Of Jane Austen
  • Marcel Proust: On Art and Literature 1896-1919
  • The Gospel in Dostoyevsky: Selections from His Works
  • Modern and Contemporary Irish Drama
  • Nationalism, Colonialism, and Literature
  • Helen of Troy: Beauty, Myth, Devastation
  • Literary Theory: A Guide for the Perplexed
  • Neil Gaiman and Philosophy: Gods Gone Wild!
  • The Resistance to Theory
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Critical Theory
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula: A Documentary Journey into Vampire Country and the Dracula Phenomenon
  • The Beast and the Sovereign, Volume I