Start by marking “Feeding Baby Green: The Earth Friendly Program for Healthy, Safe Nutrition During Pregnancy, Childhood, and Beyond” as Want to Read:

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The new "baby feeding bible" from the award-wining author of"Raising Baby Green"

Called the "Al Gore of Parenting" by "Parenting Magazine, "Dr. Alan Greene has written the follow up to his best-selling bookand offers parents a definitive guide for makingnutritionally-sound decisions for their children. Offers parentsgreen choices for feeding children from when they are in t
Published September 10th 2009 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Feeding Baby Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feeding Baby Green

Paul Smolen
In today’s discussion, I am gong to add another book review pedcast to the menu, based on the book Feeding Baby Green: the Earth-Friendly Program for Healthy, Safe Nutrition by Dr. Alan Greene. My first encounter with Dr. Greene was while cutting the grass and listening to the National Public Radio show The People’s Pharmacy. (http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/) I heard Dr. Greene talk about a variety of pediatric topics in this particular episode, and I was simply blown away. Articulate, informati ...more
Lucinda
Ok...the first sentence of this book had Al Gore's name in it AND offered praise to him, which caused me to shudder in disgust, but I read on and although I don't agree with everything he says, I did have some great "aha" moments as I gathered advice on feeding my baby. He is a pediatrician and he recommends kids learn names of foods rather than body parts so they will be familiar with many different foods. Because of this book I have been putting whole fruits and veggies in my daughter's hands, ...more
Lindsey
Loved this book. I wish I had had it while I was pregnant. There are lots of great ideas about helping your kids to learn to enjoy good food from a very young age. Greene includes practical strategies for making eating fun. He also cites many interesting studies about breastfeeding, organic vs. conventional produce, advertising to kids, etc. he also explains the nutritional needs for young kids, which I found very helpful.

All in all, great book. I enjoyed reading it and am looking forward to tr
I liked a lot of his ideas and found his perspective fascinating in the beginning. However, the book suffered from repetition past a certain point, and I was like "enough already!" by the time I finished. However, good principles and ideas for raising healthy eaters!
Patti
Thank goodness... a step by step guide for not ending up with a toddler that will only eat chicken nuggets! I especially loved the explanation of the developmental windows where it is easiest to introduce new foods and flavors. That is something that wouldn't have been intuitive as a parent.
Christina
The book "Feeding Baby Green," written by well-known pediatrician Dr. Alan Greene is an excellent book. Dr Greene manages to provide a simple approach to healthful eating that starts during pregnancy. All of my questions were answered regarding how I will meet my goal of having chilren who enjoy and prefer healthy foods.
Dr Greene helps the reader come to the realization of how central food is in our family life and it is the key to healthy living. I particularly like how he incorporates other a
Jessica
Got from my MIL as a not-so-subtle hint that she would be doing all of these things if she were raising my boys, so I should, too. Several good suggestions, but overall I got the feeling that doing all of the things he insists on as being essential would be absolutely impossible. So much so that it makes me want to give up and purposely do something not green. The emotional equivalent of hearing the hopelessly high standards of a nutrition seminar (of course you'll make all your own baby food fr ...more
Karen
Feb 11, 2014 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: nerd
the mention of al gore made me roll my eyes, but the US would be a far healthier place if more people actually took any of the advice offered up in this book. artificial baby milk and heavily processed and chemical laden fast foods are sadly the rule and not the exception, and our health as a nation is decreasing steadily because of it.

nicely informative, and a great reminder to me of why we choose to feed our kids -and ourselves- food we make ourselves, why we garden, why we shop at the farmers
Gail
Good information, but could definitely be condensed into a smaller book. It is nice to hear that you can just mash up what you are eating and give it to your baby, or cut it up in bite size pieces and give it to your toddler. So many baby food books make it seem like you have to cook a whole second meal for your baby or toddler, so it is refreshing to read one that says otherwise. After all, this is what parents have done for thousands of years. Has some recipes from a few specialty baby food co ...more
Hanako
this book has a lot of good ideas, and i like that it is well researched and he lists all his sources. i had read somewhere that a lot of the eating advice we have now is pretty much based on guesswork - he gives the research to back up his claims. it is a bit over the top for me personally with some of the green part of it, though i would *like* to be better about all that. anyway, got a lot of good ideas. great to read actually before you get pregnant, but great information at any time really.
Michelle Dodd
This book gives so much great advice about how to influence your child's eating habits, even starting during pregnancy. Lots of explanation of reality - it's not going to be easy - but with plenty of strategies that could apply not only to getting them to eat well, but just dealing with them in general. The tone is firm but gentle and loving. I really want to raise a kid with healthy eating habits since it can influence lifelong health so much. I think this book will be invaluable.
Jessie
This book was pretty much what I expected, only there was this totally insane list of all these different foods I was supposed to eat during pregnancy. Too bad the only things I could keep down were cheese, milk, and grapes--it really cut back on my amaranth consumption.
The section on toddlers was pretty short. Apparently I'm supposed to keep offering my toddler healthy foods. That's about it.
Cheryl Greene
This is a great resource for expecting and new parents who want to give their baby the best start possible. It's filled with stories, recipes, and tips along with the hard hitting, scientifically based feeding system that Dr. Greene recommends.

The title is off-putting to some. This isn't just a "green" book. It's really for all new parents.
Heidi
Still reading but so far very happy - up to date information on several studies I've learned about in the last few years, touches on areas of concern (allergies, artificial colors, GM foods, BPA, etc.) Seems thorough, impressed thus far & plan to check out when baby starts solids.
Taylor
I received this book for free on Goodreads! I already knew most of the information presented in this book from previous research on this topic. For Mom's who are interested in feeding their babies (and themselves) a healthy diet this would be a good place to start.
Cheryl Greene
Great book for anyone with a baby, expecting, or thinking about conceiving. Following Dr. Greene's simple instructions, you can teach your baby to love healthy amounts of healthy foods by age two -- setting your child on a lifetime journey of good nutrition.
Marlene
Lots of good information! Will be passing it on to my son and daughter-in-law who will be feeding our new grandson. They plan to make their own baby food, trying to stick with organically grown produce and meats.
So the book will come in handy.
Christy Stewart
Mostly common sense and information you can find on parenting websites but it's a good book on the subject.

Doesn't spend a lot of time trying to convince you of it's cause and addresses the issues of individuality in nutritional needs.
Heather Friedman
Really interesting book on what to eat when pregnant and what to feed babies - toddlers to get them to have a well rounded palette. Given I am a picky eater I was excited to find ways to open up taste buds for the next generation ha!
Becky
I entered this contest hoping to win the book for my sister-in-law who was pregnant at the time. She is a very Earth Friendly woman who I know will be raising my niece as such. Thanks so much!!!
Teri Smeader-joseph
Not a bad guide to learning some basic facts about nutrition for baby. Could have more info about specific foods and the best way to prepare them for baby.
Jan
An interesting book to read if you want to rainse your child on natural foods Show how it is better to get a child used to eating healthy fooks from day one.
Kara
Good overview and starting point for feeding solid food (it additionally covers pregnancy, the first 4-6 months and toddler years).
Jessie
Love this book- I will be using it as a reference for many years...
lenzi
very infromative and helpful for earth friendly parents
KaTe
recommended by seventh generation
Kristin
This book was good but I didn't learn much new. It could probably be summarized by saying feed your baby what you are eating and eat foods that are healthy/organic.
Rebecca Scaglione
Rebecca Scaglione is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Eco-nomical Baby Guide: Down-to-Earth Ways for Parents to Save Money and the Planet
  • How Babies Talk: The Magic and Mystery of Language in the First Three Years of Life
  • The Complete Organic Pregnancy
  • Good Nights: The Happy Parents' Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep!)
  • Real Food for Mother and Baby: The Fertility Diet, Eating for Two, and Baby's First Foods
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents
  • The Schwarzbein Principle: The Truth About Losing Weight, Being Healthy and Feeling Younger
  • Your Best Birth: Know All Your Options, Discover the Natural Choices, and Take Back the Birth Experience
  • Bringing Up Geeks: How to Protect Your Kid's Childhood in a Grow-Up-Too-Fast World
  • Your Baby's First Year
  • You Are What You Eat: The Plan That Will Change Your Life
  • Magic Trees of the Mind: How to Nuture your Child's Intelligence, Creativity, and Healthy Emotions from Birth Through Adolescence
  • Taking Back Childhood: A Proven Roadmap for Raising Confident, Creative, Compassionate Kids
  • Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World
  • Living The Good Life: How One Family Changed Their World From Their Own Backyard
  • The Attachment Connection: Parenting a Secure and Confident Child Using the Science of Attachment Theory
  • Silent Knife: Cesarean Prevention and Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)
Raising Baby Green: The Earth-Friendly Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Care Primitive Photography: A Guide to Making Cameras, Lenses, and Calotypes From First Kicks to First Steps: Nurturing Your Baby's Development from Pregnancy Through the First Year of Life New Voice The Parent Soup A To Z Guide To Your Toddler: Practical Advice From Parents Who've Been There On Everything From Activities To Potty Training To Whining