Start by marking “Delicious (Buchanans, #1)” as Want to Read:
Delicious (Buchanans, #1)

Delicious (Buchanans #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  5,479 ratings  ·  218 reviews
"USA Today" bestselling author Mallery serves up a steamy romance between a Seattle chef and her former husband, who offers her the chance to make a name for herself if she helps him get his flagship restaurant back on track. Times have changed, but the passion between them still sizzles. Original.
Published February 1st 2006 by HQN (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Delicious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delicious

Bet Me by Jennifer CrusieCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsIt Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Best Ever Contemporary Romance Books
103rd out of 2,644 books — 5,862 voters
Delicious by Susan MallerySavor the Moment by Nora RobertsSweet Talk by Susan MallerySweet Spot by Susan MallerySweet Trouble by Susan Mallery
Best Culinary Romance
1st out of 131 books — 174 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
Low 3 Stars

Overall, Delicious was an okay read. Susan Mallery is an excellent author and has a way of telling a story that's captivating and entertaining. I just wish this book was a bit more romance centered, had a better love story, and feature a hero deserving of the title.

There wasn't much to admire or like about Cal. I guess he redeemed himself somewhat by the end, but his ambivalence toward Penny, the heroine, for the majority of the book was disappointing and didn't make for a great love
Leah
willaful
I unintentionally read this series in exactly reverse order, which I now see is really a shame; there are continuing story lines and I probably would have appreciated the other books more if I’d gotten the order right. On the other hand, perhaps I liked this one the most because I read it last? Anyway, what I had read about the first couple’s story always made this sound like the most interesting book of the series, so I was happy to finally get it; ironically enough it turned out to be almost t ...more
Novel
Three years after her divorce, Penny is now a very popular chef. She's doing fine on her own and also pregnant through IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) until she got a call from her ex-husband and asked for a meeting. It wasn't a secret that Cal's family owned restaurant---The Waterfront, is in deep trouble and as a desperate attempt to revive the business he needs the best chef for the restaurant. Cal knows that he will have to beg the known chef to accept the position, unfortunately for him, the b ...more
Lady Allison
3.5-4 Stars

It's been three years since the divorce, but Cal Buchanan has finally come back begging to Penny Jackson. Nevermind that it's only for a job as a chef at his family's failing restaurant in order to kick it back into gear. Details, details, what matters is now he needs her. A woman is entitled to enjoy a little retribution from the man she had to leave because he was so detached & wouldn't build a family with his own wife, a man who never came for said wife. So, the Executive Chef
Susan (susayq ~)
All I have to say is that Penny Jackson is a better woman than I am, and I put up with a lot of crap. I would have never taken Cal back after all that he lied and withheld from her...not going after her when she left him and their marriage, changing his mind about wanting children, withholding the fact that he had a child he gave up for adoption as a teenager that he was still keeping tabs on, telling her he never really loved her (or didn't love her enough)while they were married, not telling h ...more
Greta
Summary: Since her divorce from Cal three years ago, Penny has become a sought after chef. Now Cal needs her to work for him, to save his family's restaurant. Penny is a different woman now. She's even pregnant (via in vitro) and ready to be a mother on her own. As they work together they come to realize how much they still matter to each other. Penny also learns Cals secret, the one she never realized was driving a wedge between them all those years ago. Cal has a daughter that he gave
Edna
I liked this one a lot more than the last SM book I read. However, I'll start with the bad first. The romance, unfortunately wasn't good enough. I have an intense dislike for Cal. There were too many strikes against him.A serious part of me wanted her to forget all about him and find someone else who's actually worthy.

Gloria, what a piece of work. She's as much a bitch as Jed Titan's an asshole. Way to go with writing antagonists, SM.

Now what I liked about this book, the secondary characters. T
Gail
This is the first in Mallery's Buchanan family series. Cal is the oldest son, who's been arm-twisted by his nasty grandmother into coming back to the family company to save the flagship restaurant in the chain. He needs to hire a fabulous cook, but the best available is his ex-wife who is now in a position of power. She puts in her contract that she doesn't have to deal with grandma. I read this book in a binge with a lot of other Mallery books, but they all made distinct impressions. The hero a ...more
Dee
Two-haiku review:

They're three years divorced
Can she go to work for him?
Save family business?

Did he ever love?
Really liked these characters
Lots of depth to plot
Tracy
This book just didn't hold any magic for me. I could tell they were falling in love (or should I say back in love? By the end of the book, I still wasn't convinced that he had ever really loved her the first time around.) But for some reason it didn't feel like a love story to me. It's not that he wasn't repentant for his mistakes - he was, but he kept making the same sort of mistakes. It took him too long to learn from them. The big grovel at the end was impressive, but not good enough for me.

T
Jessi
The descriptions of food in this book are, well, delicious. However, the rest of the story falls a little flat. The story is based around a divorced couple who rediscovers each other while trying to save a failing restaurant in Seattle. Everyone in the story has kept hurtful secrets. The secrets are all revealed, but I didn't feel that the characters worked through the emotions. Instead, all problems were solved by too much Deus ex Machinas. This was the first in a series, but I don't think I'll ...more
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
I'll try to come back and write a real review when I have time. In the meanwhile, I'll say that this was definitely better than average. The timeline didn't always work in my head. But what I really liked is that the characters were very real. They are all rather flawed and I like that. There is no perfect white knight that makes the other person better. It's just a group of people trying to get along better. Well except for Gloria obviously.
Kristen
I loved how unpredictable this story was and how everything you could imagine went wrong. It felt more realistic to me since life tends to be messy and full of twists and turns.
Xiki71
No está mal pero tampoco es una lectura imprescindible. Para mi, que ahora mismo estoy algo liada con los estudios y no tengo tiempo ni ánimo para novelas extensas y complicadas esta me ha venido muy bien.
La historia transcurre sin grandes sobresaltos y con la abuela como mala malísima, por lo demás, hay momentos en los que me ha parecido repetitiva porque repite el mismo patrón varias veces, "ahora discuto contigo, pasa algo, vuelvo a hablarte".
Si hay algo que me ha gustado es la historia de la
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
I gotta admit, I didn't expect this book to be this good. I've only read one book by Susan Mallery before, and I think I was told that it was one of her early books and after reading this I can totally believe that. It was clear she had improved her writing between the two books, I enjoyed this very much.

This is the first in a series where we're told the happily ever afters of the four Buchanan siblings. The first one takes the oldest brother Cal Buchanan and pairs him up with his ex-wife, succe
ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥
I am really liking Susan Mallery's writing style. Even how she can write her characters. I'm not necessarily fan of her "guys" but certainly the women come up with are certainly impressive. They leave their mark on you.

The plot is very basic actually. Penny Jackson, a very talented chef and a to-be mom, gets a job offer from her ex-husband (Cal) to run a restaurant. Now both of them parted ways in a very bitter way so to speak. They both are convinced that what's between them is over, but is it?
Jasmin
Oct 30, 2010 Jasmin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jasmin by: People who plan to open a restaurant
Unfortunately, Naomi had seen Cal naked. She'd walked in on them making love once. After retreating, she'd stood behind the closed door and complained bitterly about people who didn't have the common courtesy to make some noise while doing it so the world could know what they were up to and not accidentally walk in.

The quote above, is one of the most striking things Susan Mallery has taught me. That quote alone, made me conclude that Mallery is brilliant and very wise.

Anyway, if there's 3-in-1
Leslie
I generally don't review audiobooks simply because I usually don't have a print copy to refer to while writing the review. And since my memory isn't always great and I'm often reading more than one book at a time, the need to check details happens. This time I'm going strictly from memory so consider yourself warned. :)

This is one of those second chance at love romances although through much of the story I wasn't sure the heroine should give the hero a second chance. Penny and Cal fell in love,
thadine
This is the first book of the Buchannan series, and features the oldest brother, Cal. Cal needs to hire a top chef to save his ailing family business. The best one he can find just happens to be his ex-wife Penny.

Cal and Penny have been divorced for three years. After Penny had a miscarriage, Cal revealed to her that he didn't want to have children. Unable to accept this, Penny finally left him. With her biological clock ticking, and no man on the horizon, Penny decides to have IVF in order to h
Julie Barrett
Delicious by Susan Mallery
Penny Jackson is going to work for her ex husband in his restauart to turn it around.
Cal Buchannan and his family owned a lot of restaurants.
She wants more than just a salary and a job. She wants to take what she creates with her, her name on the menu, a week off and the one to select the general manager and a percentage of the business.
This would give her what she needed to start her own in a few years time.
She's got a secret and she's not told her new boss.
His brother
Booklover
Finished the Buchanan series all 4 books must say Susan Mallery has done an awesome job with Buchanans
Buchanans is story of 4 sibblings Cal,Walker,Reid & Danielle.Villian is their grandmother Gloria she is real bitch in Cal's Story but eventually she changes n accepts all 4 of them as they are n stops playing games with them.actually liked how Gloria changes,how all 4 of them find love of their life n happiness in their life

This is Cal's and his ex-wife Penny's story,actually liked how these
Mareli
How "Delicious" this story has been. I totally loved it. Maybe a little too passion here and there but the story was really really good. I love the family interaction, the female bonding and mostly everything.

Besides, after a fair share of TSTL heroines, I greatly appreciated a woman with a solid sense. Yes, she got pregnant by IV, but I can understand a woman who wants a child and feels her biological clock is talking to her but still she was really young!

BTW a great great story, totally recomm
Yona
This was one really sweet story, about second chances and forgiveness.
LoveRomance
Stuck on an airplane last week and had Delicious on my nook, so I re-read it and found it just as sweet and engaging as I did the first time. I'm now trying to track down the other three books in this series because I'm not buying them again (and am wondering why I sold them to the used bookstore -- I always re-read Susan Mallery books!). Classic Susan Mallery: no big twists, no huge surprises, just completely reliable romance with interesting characters all the way around.
Anita
Tipikus Harlequin könyv :) Tuti happy end – jobb esetben eljegyzéssel, drámaibb esetben házassággal végződik. Nem regélem el, hogy itt mire jutnak…

Szóval kicsit túlnyomorgatott a sztori. Van benne minden: rákos, katona, tolószékes, örökbefogadás, mesterséges megtermékenyítés, régi bűn, új bűn, családi zűrök több fronton és sok-sok-sok nem vérségi kapcsolat. Talán azért lett ilyen hosszú és nem a jól megszokott Harlequin-Júlia 91 oldal, hogy mindez beleférjen?

A sokadik alkalomra már unalmassá vál
Taylor
I really liked this story line. It wasn't overly dramatic and ooey gooey but very down to earth I felt. I liked the characters and I like the set up of other plots to come. Headed to check out the second book in the series now.
Nadine
Ich fand es toll.
Susan Mallery schreibt auf gut frei Schnauze.
Daher lässt es sich super lesen, der Schreibstil ist nicht so steif.

Da ich erst den 2ten Teil gelesen hatte musste der erste ein muss sein und ich wurde nicht enttäuscht , im Gegenteil ich war sofort gefesselt und konnte es nicht aus der Hand legen.

Die Geschichte um Penny und Cal fängt wenn man es so sagen kann , harmlos an. Beide waren Verheiratet nun geschieden und Cal braucht Sie als Köchin um ein Familien Restaurant zu retten.
Beid
Carla Cabrera
I liked it but didn't. it's well written. Call and Penny are two characters that you can easily like. I just don't like books where secrets are kept and there are a couple of bigs ones. Gloria, the grandma, is a tough broad and not in the positive sense but she does add enjoyment to the book. I am reading the remaining books and so far find them better than this one. if you can get past this one, I recommend continuing the series.
Ann
Delicious was a quick and entertaining read. Susan Mallery's writing is very pleasant to read.

I really liked Penny, Reid, Naomi, Walker and Dani. I hated Gloria. I was mad at Cal quite often but glad when he finally made an effort.

I was a bit annoyed at the repetitions of several situations and thoughts but it definitely made me want to read more of Susan Mallery.
  • Just One Taste (Recipe for Love #3)
  • Hot Stuff (Hot Zone, #1)
  • Lead Me On (Tumble Creek, #3)
  • Summer Brides (includes Fool's Gold, #2.5)
  • True Love and Other Disasters (Chinooks Hockey Team #4)
  • Cutting Loose (Sisterhood Diaries, #1)
  • Angel's Peak (Virgin River, #10)
  • Rescue My Heart (Animal Magnetism, #3)
  • Then He Kissed Me (Three Kisses, #2)
With more than 25 million books sold worldwide, New York Times bestselling author Susan Mallery is known for creating characters who feel as real as the folks next door, and for putting them into emotional, often funny situations readers recognize from their own lives. Susan’s books have made Booklist’s Top 10 Romances list in four out of five consecutive years. RT Book Reviews says, “When it come ...more
More about Susan Mallery...

Buchanans (4 books)
  • Irresistible (Buchanans, #2)
  • Sizzling (Buchanans, #3)
  • Tempting (Buchanans, #4)
Chasing Perfect (Fool's Gold, #1) Only Yours (Fool's Gold, #5) Only Mine (Fool's Gold #4) Almost Perfect (Fool's Gold, #2) Finding Perfect (Fool's Gold, #3)